Old favorite with a twist (Mega Lucario team)

Hello everyone this is my first RMT due to the fact it is the first team I felt was good enough to actually post a rate for. When Gen 6 was released I was as excited as everyone else about the new possibilities introduced to us. Whether it be Mega Evo's, aegislash, talonflame, klefki, or one of the new items such as weakness policy or assault vest. I didn't even mention the new fairy type which we all assumed would put an end to the dragon dominance we had all lived through the past few generation (the only change has been less outrage spamming). For all of these reasons I was shaking with excitement for the new generation, and when it got here I was making teams around all the new Pokes just like everyone else. After various disappointing teams I noticed that most of the teams I was losing to were utilizing gen 5 or older cores. So I started building my team as if I had no knowldege of what was "new" or "old". The only thing I knew for sure was that I needed to put a mega evolution on my team, they are just too strong to not have one, and that's where we start.
Team Building Process (Someone please tell me how to insert a show/hide tab here and I'll do it for this)

Lucario has always been my favorite setup sweeper due to his double priority and swords dance. When I heard he was one of the lucky Pokes who got a mega evo I knew he would be my favorite.

After starting with Luke I needed s a Poke who could blast through the walls that can stop Lucario's end game sweep, my favorite special attacker was an easy choice.

Once I had a special attacker and a physical attacker I searched for a choice scarf user I could use to revenge kill without having to bring in my Lucario repeatedly. Genesect to me is by far the best choice scarf revenge killer.

Now that my offensive core was completed I needed to focus on my defense. For my special wall I started with assault vest Ttar, however with no means of recovery of support moves i quickly switched to THE original special wall Chansey.

Chansey can take most special hits but pees herself whenever threatened by any physical move, so I added Landorus-therian as my physically defensive pokemon, his defense isn't the best but intimidate helps mitigate this.

In my final spot I wanted somewhat of a utility pokemon who could take a few hits and dish some out as well. Rotom-w instantly came to mind and has worked great.

On to a more in depth discussion of the team.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Extreme Speed

Pokemon Explanation: Lucario and Salamence have always been my favorite setup sweepers and with Lucario getting a mega evolution that boosted it's attack and speed stats to amazing levels I had to include it on my team. The goal of this team is to allow my other 5 Pokemon to survive as long as possible and wear down the opponents team. At the very end of the game I will bring in Lucario, Mega evolve him and then sweep. The only time I will bring him in before the end of the game is if he can get a revenge kill without sustaining any damage, this doesn't happen often with stealth rock and spikes.

Moves Explanation: This is a fairly standard set for Lucario, if given the chance to SD I will, but it is not necessary at the end of the game. I choose double priority over Ice Punch or Crunch strictly because Lucario should not be brought in against physical tanks/walls until the end of the game when they are at low enough HP for a CC or priority move to take them out.

EV's and Nature explanation: Max speed and attack to hit as hard and fast as possible. The best thing about this set is that he mega evolves before the turn starts, so I get to use Mega-Lucario's excellent speed. Jolly is used to outspend the seldom seen Infernape and Keldoe who would OHKO if they moved first.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Thunderbolt

Pokemon Explanation: Mega-Lucario can't do everything by himself, I needed a special attacker to punch holes in the defense and Latios does that as good as anyone. Originally I went with expert belt but I found most of the time I was spamming Draco Meteor and it wasn't hitting as hard as I wanted. Choice Specs is in my opinion the best item for Latios, but Genesect already is choiced and I don't like having two choice locked Pokes. Latios does great in the role I use him for, which is bringing him in, spam a powerful move then get out.

Move Explanation: Draco Meteor and Psyshock are must haves for any Latios set. I had to decide between surf, Tbolt, and HP fire. To me there is no two moves that are perfect, however I like surf and Tbolt more than HP fire. Roost is also an option but I usually try and pass at least one wish from Chansey to Latios throughout the game so I don't really consider Roost necessary.

Ev's and Nature Explanation: Max speed and max special attack are musts for Latios. Another reason I don't like HP Fire is it lowers Latios' speed by one point letting it be outsped by the other base 110's.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Hasty Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- U-turn

Pokemon Explanation: The best choice scarf user, period. Genesect is the glue to my team, while Mega Lucario usually sweeps, Genesect more than often gets the most KO's in a battle. Genesect forces 100% of the pressure onto your opponent forcing them to try and predict which move you're going to use. I use U-turn fairly often since I have a strong Volturning core with Genesect, Lando-T, and Rotom-W. However if the opponent does not have a Poke with an immunity to the move I want to use then I'll spam that one.

Move Explanation: These are the four go to moves for genesect. These four moves net super effective hits on the majority of the metagame.

EV's and Nature Explanation: Max speed and special attack, want to hit as hard, and being a revenge killer, as fast as possible.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Pokemon Explanation: I wanted a true special tank on this team and that is what Chansey does. With Eviolite she's (IMO) better than Blissey. Chansey is also an excellent status absorber due to Natural Cure. I originally had assault vest Tyranitar as my special tank but assault vest only lets you attack, so without recovery or support moves I found him lackluster in longer battles.

Moves Explanation: Wish was a must have for this team, my defensive core takes a lot of hits and Latios is using a life orb. Protect helps chansey land a wish on herself. Toxic is used to get some residual damage throughout the battle helping Lucario get the kills with it's double priority at the end of the game. Seismic toss is her only attacking move.

Ev's and Nature Explanation: Just trying to make Chansey as bulky as possible, and hopefully she can take one physical hit if needed, however that is not to be expected.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Spd / 172 Def
Naive Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-turn

Pokemon Explanation: My answer to aegislash. This is the best counter to the shield wielding poke. Lando is my most common lead, especially whenever I see a Klefki in team preview. To me stealth rock is a must have on every team, even with defog being buffed. Lando forces so many switches SR is easy to get down. Intimidate is a life saver and is another bonus against aegislash.

Moves Explanation: Earthquake is one of the best moves in the game and coming off of a 145 attack plus STAB boosted is great. Stealth Rock is crucial for my team as Lucario needs residual damage to the opposing team and my volturn core forces a lot of switches, it also helps keep Talonflame and Charizard from repeating switch-ins. Hidden Power Ice is for other landorus, glister, and dragons who I switch into with Lando. U-turn is there to keep Mr. Momentum on my side.

EV's and Nature Explanation: The EV spread is meant to outspend breloom, adamant dragonite, and modest heatran.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Pokemon Explanation: Rotom is my other lead whenever Lando isn't put out there. Rotom is my answer to Talonflame, who is everywhere right now. Rotom can tank a lot of hits and dish out good damage. The key to my defensive core is that rotom and landorus can both hit back after taking a hit.

Moves Explanation: Volt switch and hydro pump are two standard moves on all rotom-w. I chose WoW over T-wave because my team is pretty fast and isn't too concerned with being outsped. Pain split is such an underrated move and lets Rotom gain back a ton of HP in one turn.

EV's and Nature Explanation: I went with the bulky attacker rather than specially defensive because I have Chansey to tank special hits. In case you somehow haven't noticed by now I use Smogon's EV spreads due to my inexperience.

How this team generally wins

In most games I attempt to get stealth rock down as early as possible, spread toxic with chansey, and spread burn with rotom. I then use my volturn core to force switches and allow Latios and Genesect free switch-ins to fire off a powerful move. Throughout the game I use Chansey to pass wishes to keep Latios, Genesect, and Landorus alive. I almost never bring Lucario in until the rest of my team is gone, if I haven't won by that point I am hoping that if I can get off a swords dance I do, otherwise I use his double priority to finish off what is left of the opposing team.

Room for Improvement
  • My team does't mind stealth rock too much, but when the opponent gets down some spikes it starts to hurt my genesect and chansey more than I would like.
  • Sticky web is a nightmare for Genesect, chantey doesn't care about speed, and Lucario has priority.
  • Obviously a rapid spinner would fix this, however I can't find a decent replacement for any of these. Forrestress would be a good replacement for Lando but then half of my team is fire weak. Which is not ideal with Talonflame, Charizard, and Blaziken running rampant.
  • I have thought about replacing Latios with Mega Gengar and changing Lucario to the life orb swords dance set, Mega Gengar is great for volturn.
  • Spikes would also be nice for the amount of switches I force but I can't find the space for a spikes user, and I feel spikes lets your opponent gain momentum.

I appreciate all criticism seeing as this is my first decent team. Anything that anyone thinks will help this team or improve this RMT please tell me!!! Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)