Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Double-Edge ever worth it for the stupidly high power on Mega Pinsir, even as OO material? The big problem is that you can't use CC or QA with it.
I doubt it, the power difference isn't too large, Pinsir doesn't like the recoil, and it leaves you only with EQ and Knock Off for coverage.

Is Double-Edge ever worth it for the stupidly high power on Mega Pinsir, even as OO material? The big problem is that you can't use CC or QA with it.
If you can't use CC with it I wouldn't do it. CC does too good a job crippling otherwise hard checks or counters to Mega Pinsir, like Rotom-W. Quick Attack is also too valuable for the slight boost in power.

Just one last thing before I start playing and testing this team.

Is it worth having Rotom-W invested to speed creep Adamant Bisharp, or does that compromise his bulk too much? My team is admittedly Talonflame weak, so making sure he can handle Smogon Bird is high priority.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Just one last thing before I start playing and testing this team.

Is it worth having Rotom-W invested to speed creep Adamant Bisharp, or does that compromise his bulk too much? My team is admittedly Talonflame weak, so making sure he can handle Smogon Bird is high priority.
Not worth it at all. You need as much bulk on Rotom-w as possible.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Not worth it at all. You need as much bulk on Rotom-w as possible.
Tbf I've done this before on teams that are bisharp weak and not as much talonflame weak so it's not an extremely bad option however I would still go bulk anyways under most circumstances. Just throwing that out there.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Tbf I've done this before on teams that are bisharp weak and not as much talknflame weak so it's not an extremely bad option however I would still go bulk anyways under most circumstances. Just throwing that out there.
Fair enough, that's reasonable. I mean, they often run jolly nowadays, and I just feel it's more useful the majority of the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: AM
Is there any Pokemon that can viably play a Cleric Role (at least for status) and lay hazards at the same time? Considering my prediction isn't the best, I need a back up in case a mon like my SubCM Keldeo gets Paralyzed on a misprediction.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
Is there any Pokemon that can viably play a Cleric Role (at least for status) and lay hazards at the same time? Considering my prediction isn't the best, I need a back up in case a mon like my SubCM Keldeo gets Paralyzed on a misprediction.
I dont think so for that kind of playstyle, but theoretically you could run Heal Bell + Stealth Rock Clefable, and maybe Heal Bell + Stealth Rock Chansey on stall. SR + Heal Bell Celebi could work also, and healing wish + jirachi is cool.
Edit: semi ninjad

So, I've been wanting to build a team around Gengar recently, just because he's a personal favorite of mine and he's always been a nice OU candidate.

Minor thing I'm wondering therein: how much does changing Gengar's set affect his role? For example, Landorus-I can change some of his moves, but is almost always played as a Special Wallbreaker with some other perk like Late game cleaning or breaking Chansey, whereas Talonflame has wildly different roles depending on its set.

So I guess, is Gengar almost always an offensive Stallbreaker with some variance, or do his different sets vary significantly in roles? Building on that, what would you say is the most effective use of Gengar in the current Meta?

I foresee Feraligatr finding himself with something of a niche on teams that want Gyarados-esque traits, but also want him pulling weight against Stall. Gyarados would never run a LO because of his hazard weakness wearing him out, so that on top of Sheer Force lends to a notable power difference. Feraligatr doesn't need a Mega to hurt Stall, and has the option to run SD if you want him specifically for Wall breaking.

I could see Feraligatr making the C's, maybe even B- or so depending on how any potential suspects resolve.
Hmmm any thought on the dragon dance set? I am more thinking of the bets choice int he 4th slot

Feraligatr

Sheer Force
Jolly
4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Waterfall
-Dragon dance
-Ice Punch
-Crunch/Rock Slide/earthquake

Hmmm any thought on the dragon dance set? I am more thinking of the bets choice int he 4th slot

Feraligatr

Sheer Force
Jolly
4 Hp / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
-Waterfall
-Dragon dance
-Ice Punch
-Crunch/Rock Slide/earthquake
I just feel his speed is underwhelming even with DD. I think the S set is more viable. Life orb is good idea for stronger aqua jet.

I just feel his speed is underwhelming even with DD. I think the S set is more viable. Life orb is good idea for stronger aqua jet.
His speed isn't too underwhelming, it's comparable to gyarados who is 3 base points higher, but feraligatr hits harder and faster, as it can run jolly with impunity. For speed with a jolly nature gyarados meets 430.5, while gatr reaches 420, that only leaves gatr slower than mega-sceptile and beedrill, which is a shame but not as big of a deal as at least sceptile has become less relevant, but the big deal is the power difference
The nearest dder in terms of speed tier, is gyarados. Only beedrill and m-sceptile, out speed gatr, while adamant makes no relevant difference in speed tier. While feraligatr hits harder than both m/r-gyarados, bar crunch and bounce as their respective secondary stab moves.

His speed isn't too underwhelming, it's comparable to gyarados who is 3 base points higher, but feraligatr hits harder and faster, as it can run jolly with impunity. For speed with a jolly nature gyarados meets 430.5, while gatr reaches 420, that only leaves gatr slower than mega-sceptile and beedrill, which is a shame but not as big of a deal as at least sceptile has become less relevant, but the big deal is the power difference

The nearest dder in terms of speed tier, is gyarados. Only beedrill and m-sceptile, out speed gatr, while adamant makes no relevant difference in speed tier. While feraligatr hits harder than both m/r-gyarados, bar crunch and bounce as their respective secondary stab moves.
As you put you make it sound like if he was like m.gyarados...... if you manage to grab the boost, well only prob are scarfers. I prefer swords because scarfers anyway speeds you but you have priority and your role is usually wallbreak.

As you put you make it sound like if he was like m.gyarados...... if you manage to grab the boost, well only prob are scarfers. I prefer swords because scarfers anyway speeds you but you have priority and your role is usually wallbreak.
I wouldn't write off DD Feraligatr just yet. While I do agree that I can see SD Wallbreaking being Feraligatr's best role, I still feel it has enough merits over Gyarados as outlined in the Metagame thread to justify it's use as a Dragon Dancer, such as no SR weakness, much higher power and coverage moves Gyarados doesn't have such as Ice Punch. I feel I would use Gyarados in most cases as my DDancer but I can definitely see a case for using Gator over it on certain teams. The biggest disadvantage really is that you don't get the jump on +1/Scarfed base 80s like Altaria.

Adamant Double Dance may be a really good set. Agility puts it over basically the entire meta, while the combo of SD, Sheer Ofrce, and Life Orb and a decent speed tier really hurts defensive teams. Water STAB is also pretty good overall, and Crunch gives good neutral coverage.

Got a suggestion/question: For the suspect tests, why not save replays of high ladder/tourney level games that showcases the reasons of why a suspect is broken; i.e. A replay showing how greninja dominates the game by switching out and when it comes in, it gets a kill. Something like that so that way people understand and see the arguments for why said mon is broken.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Got a suggestion/question: For the suspect tests, why not save replays of high ladder/tourney level games that showcases the reasons of why a suspect is broken; i.e. A replay showing how greninja dominates the game by switching out and when it comes in, it gets a kill. Something like that so that way people understand and see the arguments for why said mon is broken.
This is sort of a given to begin with, that the people discussing this would be using relevant replays and matches to express their case. However it doesn't really change the fact people will still speak a lot based on theory anyways so this generally never pans out and most individuals who have a clear cut and dry understanding of the meta will provide enough information to prove a point that other decent players will understand as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)