Project ORAS Rarely Used Teambuilding Competition v69 [Nominations]

Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Banned deucer.
Galbia wins!!! (I think...)

Anyway, since its Hidden Ability just got released and people are hyped for it, the next Pokemon to build around will be:

At long last, big Gatr is ready to show how truly destructive he can be...

You got one week from this post to submit your teams.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
god this thing is so good. Here's my team :]

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 120 HP / 136 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Healing Wish
- Scald

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch

This is the only set I've used for sf gatr because it was so good I didn't feel the need to try another one. Waterfall is really powerful even without boosts and both ice punch and crunch provide good coverage. Its great bulk (85/100/83) and decent defensive typing gives it loads of setup opportunities and +1 attack is easily enough to cut through the majority of defensive mons in the tier. I chose this over SD because the need for aqua jet leaves you with only one coverage move making it more difficult to take on a large number of defensive cores.

Edit:
Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak

Had m-aboma in this slot because i wanted to pressure mola, have a decent defensive synergy with gatr and add some residual damage with the hail. I was unable to fit hazard control in the rest of the team, the hail oftenworked against me, and i was very weak to fighting. doublade solves these issues fairly nicely. I still put a nice amount of pressure on mola as some teams best response to blade is with scald burns. Fightng types such as cobalion and hitmonlee find it more difficult to dent my team and it's mcuh easier to keep healthy with wishes thanks to its its typing which affords it more free switches. It's notable that rhyperior, one of doublades best checks, is pressured by most of my team.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Healing Wish
- Scald

After being exposed to how ridiculously good lunar dance is during the suspect test I decided to run a healing wish mola. Mola is responsible for keeping all my other mons healthy which it does excellently. Healing wish potentially allows doublade or gatr two chances to sweep. Because it can be so unexpected, once one of these mons has become weakened, they may sac their check. Bringing them back to full health can act as a real sucker punch and win a lot of games.

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
Jolly Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab

Next i wanted a check to psychics as well as a mon that can get up tspikes. All though drapion with tspikes is usually specially defensive. I decided to run a more offensive set so as not to lose offensive momentum and become weaker to base 90 threats such as lo moltres and specs meloetta. Tspikes allowd mola to toxic stall easily as well as getting of the extra damage on everything to make it easy to clean up.

Rotom-Mow @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Thunderbolt

The speed on my team puts further pressure on mola while grabbing nice momentum on grass types that doublade/ drapion like to beat. Rotom C has gotten better recently as a scarfer that can beat +1 dinosaur as well as opposing +1 gatrs. In general it offers some nice synergy and utility against passive mons with trick.

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 244 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Blast
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

Finally standard tank rhyperior acts as a nice glue and rock setter. It's kept nice and healthy by alom while checking a load of threats like tyrantrum, doublade, drapion and a number of others. I chose protect on the last spot to ease prediction as well as get more damage off with tspikes + hail.

give it a try, I've been having fun with it :]

Last edited:
Gatr is a monster not even gonna lie.

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Delphox @ Life Orb
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Infiltrator
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Crustle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor

Feraligatr @ Lum Berry
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Crunch

Gatr is obviously the star of the show, and in practice will be your win condition 90% of the time. This thing is disgusting good, and can sweep most teams with minimal weakening of physical walls. I personally run Lum Berry, as it buys you several set up opportunities on mons like Alomomola, Cress, Golbat, Hitmontop, etc. The EVs are a spread Cowtao posted in the NP thread, which is designed to outspeed Adamant Lee, Braviary, Tyrantrum, Emboar, and Adamant Medicham at base, and anything under max invested Accelgor at +1. The moveset is fairly self-explanatory, DD for boosting, Waterfall for the hardest hitting move on the fucking planet (gets the strong STAB + Sheer Force boost :]), and Ice Punch and Crunch for hard hitting coverage vs. grasses and Cress Psychic/Ghost Types mot hit by Waterfall, respectively.

Delphox @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Switcheroo

Delphox does a great job of clearing several pokemon Feraligatr really doesn't wanna deal with, namely Rotom-C, Virizion, Registeel, Qwilfish, Weezing, Mega Steelix, and more. Not to mention Switcheroo Scarf allows it to cripple some bulky mons that trouble it and make them ultimately useless, and potential set up fodder for Gatr.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Giga Drain
- Extrasensory

Decided to add NP Shiftry next, as it has fantastic synergy with Delphox and completes a good FWG core for the team. I know it's not exactly it's best set, but it solves the physical bias the team has and hits a few important targets harder without fearing burn, namely Cofagrigus, which ruins Feraligatr's sweep very easily.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

Here's one of the main reasons Shiftry isn't a defog set. My team desperately needed something to take on Dark types, and hazard removal was just a plus. HJK is what you'll click 85% of the time, as it hits ludicrously hard with Reckless. Knock off nails ghost switch-ins, Mach punch gives more priority to pick off weakened sweepers, and Rapid Spin clears hazards.

Spiritomb @ BlackGlasses
Ability: Infiltrator
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

I'm using Spiritomb as my team needed a switch in for Fighting Types (Phox doesn't count bc Knock Off exists), plus being able to beat and trap just about every Psychic type in the tier is a very good added bonus. Will-O-Wisp cripples any physical attackers that want to try to switch in as well *looks judgingly at Cobalion*

Crustle @ Custap Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- X-Scissor

Decided to round up the team with a suicide hazard lead to get some damage on stuff and turn some 2hkoes into OHKOes with my sweepers. With the release of Custap, Crustle is arguably one of the best hazard setters, assuming you can avoid Taunt users of course.

All in all it's treated me pretty well thus far, and doesn't have any serious weaknesses (except burd which is gonna be gone presumably so :])

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
Would it be agains the rules to change one mon on my team now? I played around with it a bit and it's far better without aboma and with sd doublade instead. Spirit

Moon

Grossly Incandescent
Gatr time.

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Ice Punch

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 56 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Giga Drain
- Memento
- Moonblast

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Scald
- Protect
- Healing Wish

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Drain Punch
- Gunk Shot

Emboar @ Choice Band
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Toxic

I went for a more balance/bulky approach this week. I chose to use DD 3 attacks Gatr like everyone else because it is extremely threatening to pretty much all builds, so the team is geared around winning with this.
I was sold on using Whimsicott from the beginning, as it switches in on the bulky waters that stop Gatr like Quagsire, and can take troublesome electric attacks pretty well. I used an offensive spread with lefties, as it does decent damage while having longevity. U-turn is nice for momentum grabbing and the last move, memento, is really cool for setting up a surprise let game win with Feraligatr. Encore would be really nice here if you want it, but everyone assumes you have it anyway and I didn't miss it.
I wanted to use healing wish Alomomola for support, even though lep already used it, it was something I thought of right away as well. This works well with Feraligatr as you can use it as a wallbreaker early game until it gets status'd or weakened and your opponent may not consider it a threat anymore, then you can bring it back for a late game sweep.
I played around with the stealth rock spot a lot but Mega Steelix turned out to be too good, and I also didn't have another mega I wanted to use and the ground typing was an added benefit. It serves as an excellent partner for Feraligatr with toxic, as it baits in bulky water and grass types to cripple them so they can't handle Gatr later on in the game. M-Steelix plus Mola is a core that can handle a ton of threats and it is easy to keep Steelix healthy via wish passing.
Toxic spikes and spikes are really good with Gatr and Whimsicott, and I also really wanted a grounded poison type to absorb t-spikes if needed as it is everywhere. Garbodor seemed like an interesting, uncommon option that fit somewhat nicely. I think it's not bad actually and gives added safety against fighting types and physical threats in general, while easily getting a few layers of hazards per game. Rocky helmet+aftermath and a possible poison does a lot of damage when trying to take this out with a physical mon.
The last mon on the team is Emboar, which is a partner I had thought of from the start. I originally wanted to use the defensive BigPig, but I didn't like it that much in testing and decided a banded Emboar would be better to put more pressure on the defensive cores of teams, while still be able to absorb random will-o wisp for Feraligatr. I added toxic as the last move because why not and it is so easy to bait in certain mons like 'mola which hate toxic, allowing Gatr to have an easier time.

That was long winded but that's the team. Had fun using Whimsi as it's something I haven't messed with before, and Gatr is super strong.

Last edited:
Feraligatr @ Life Orb
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Crunch

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Iron Head

Tangrowth @ Miracle Seed
EVs: 152 HP / 16 Def / 216 SpA / 124 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 2 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Superpower
- Arm Thrust

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Atk / 180 SpD / 20 Spe
Careful Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 Spe
Bold Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Taunt
Basically i throw together a core of Cobalion and Feraligatr who handle and set up on each other's checks quite beautifully imo and i put Tangrowht for its ability to wear down annoying Pokemon such as Rotom-C pretty easily as well as being generally cool without Moltres around with a somewhat weird set that works quite well in my opinion because it is my main thing to take a Burn and Life Orb and Choice Specs are really annoying for different reasons. Using something like Whimsicott over said Tangrowth can also work if you want to beat Fighting-types better but enjoy losing to Mega Steelix. After it i put a Scarfer, Mega Steelix for Rocks, and Qwilfish to resist Fighting and dealing with hazards (use Slowking if Tspikes dont bother you). This team is pretty flawed but does well if you play your cards right.

phantom

Banned deucer.
I decided to submit a team of my own this time around:

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Encore
- Tailwind

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Flamethrower

Qwilfish @ Black Sludge
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Pain Split
- Waterfall
- Taunt

Durant @ Choice Band
Ability: Hustle
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- Crunch

Uxie @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave
This is my spin on a bulkyish Spikes offense team. Whimsicott + Houndoom is already a pretty strong on its own, but I wanted to accentuate the offensive prowess of the duo all the while giving me something that can switch into Mega Steelix, so I went with Eelektross which also provides some handy Knock Off support and a decent check to most special attackers. I then wanted something that can absorb Toxic Spikes and threaten Mega Camerupt, so I went with bulky Qwilfish because it also has access to Spikes and can Taunt opposing Spikes users, which are an issue if they can set up for free. This team needed a bit more oomf so I went CB Durant to punch some holes, give a decent normal/Ice resist, and weaken Steels for Whimsicott, which can also give Durant some pretty useful late-game Tailwind support. I needed a Stealth Rock user, so I went with Uxie which provides a pretty good median between Cresselia and Mesprit in that it can SR + U-turn like Mesprit but has bulk and can spread around Paralysis in order to help this team with opposing offense, just like Cresselia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)