OU Rain - It's Raining Men!

Well this is my first thread since i was a noob with pointless moves in the DP generation :P

let's get it rolling!

and before you ask the nicknames are from some girls lol, lol, lol.

Pussy Princess (Politoed) (F) @ Choice Scarf

Stats
Trait: Drizzle
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Perish Song

Explanation
This isn't very original, i know. I'm open to any suggestions for change, but frankly i love her. She makes it rain (The non pokemon player that suggested the nickname loved hearing that Pussy Princess made it rain!) and she handles dragons, fire types, and BP recievers/ stat boosted pokes with ease! I see plenty of people use this poke as a lead but it really makes no sense to me considering my lead checks it pretty hard. There's really not much to say here!

Volcarona (M) @ Leftovers

Stats
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast

Explanation
This is my (somewhat) surprise special sweeper right here! Even Non STAB, I've noticed his Hurricane after two QuivDances in the rain is no joke to any pokemon, and the confusion it provides is a great bonus to the awesome level of damage. A problem i notice is he definitely needs spin support, which i've yet to add to this team! I've been SR'ed and Roar'ed a time or two and that's quite frustrating. But see the best link i have of the team in action for a look at just what this guy can do provided he has good set up conditions. Aside from being great to switch in on physical attackers too he's also a huge extension for my team's overall type coverage. It's quite silly to see a rain team fireblast but hey you do what you have to do. I'm considering running Flamethrower in it's place. Comment on that perhaps?

DragDrag (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry

Stats
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake

Explanation
This Pokemon has won me a match or two! Typical DDNite, but i kind of worry his synergy with my team isn't the highest! It's pretty great to outrage someone's face, but as a team member he doesn't seem to do much for me. It feels somewhat out of place and i've considered perhaps a heal bell over earthquake? I don't know, this guy still is a great mon all on his own. but there's no I in team.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers

Stats
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Thunder wave

Explanation
Now this is my staller! When my volcarona is down already or members of my team need health or someone needs a nice thunder wave this guy is pumped and ready to deliver! I won a match early today because i was able to seed, protect, and wave my way to victory! a nice spiky thorn in any physical attackers foot never hurt either! This guy, like Croak and Rona really really smashes and annoys a team that's not ready for him. DEFENSE! DEFENSE!

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge

Stats
Trait: Dry Skin
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch

Explanation
When Gene got banned initially i was quite disappointed! but I'm almost glad because this new physical sweeper is 10 times more fun to play and once he dances once, is just ready to sweep. In the rain his skin and gunk make weak attackers nigh null and it's quite hilarious to sucker punch a pokemon he has a 4x weakness to if it STAB's. One of my favorites on the team! A real punch in the crotch if you're not prepared!

Breloom @ Life Orb

Stats
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Explanation
This is my lead! I see a lot of lead technilooms and it's clear why! in my experience a bullet seed will absolutely annihilate a politoed. Spore neutralizes leads. Mach Punch even makes short work of other Looms! Low sweeping leads also seems to neutralize faster threats and a spore sends them to bed! The funniest thing i've had happen with this lead was him getting spored by another Loom and living through it! He mach punched before he was spored, woke up in three turns and did it again! 2hko heh.

Well guys, thanks for looking at this thread! RIP Genesect in OU and have an awesome day!

Importable:
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Perish Song

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast

DragDrag (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- ExtremeSpeed
- Earthquake

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
- Thunderwave

Toxicroak @ Black Sludge
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Cross Chop
- Ice Punch
- Sucker Punch

Breloom (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

The Newest Version I'm trying!
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Perish Song

Volcarona (F) @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hurricane
- Fire Blast

Starmie @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Rapid Spin
- Ice Beam

Ferrothorn (Bronzong) @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch

Breloom (M) @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Low Sweep
- Bullet Seed
- Spore

Volcarona has fun in the rain:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou5290065

Trinitrotoluene

young ☆nd foolish
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey. Entry hazards, especially Stealth Rock, make your team cry because of your use of Volcarona and Dragonite. To fix this, I'd recommend replacing Dragonite, which you've noted seems to be out of place, with LO Starmie. This change gives your team a spinner, which helps keep your team alive longer, and a powerful rain sweeper that can clean house without having to set up. Starmie also gives your team a fighting chance against Mamoswine, which can easily demolish your team once Ferrothorn has been slightly weakened. Also, to alleviate a slight vulnerability to DragMag teams, I'd recommend using Shed Shell over Leftovers on Ferrothorn, to avoid being trapped by Magnezone / Magneton / Gothitelle.

Now, for a few nitpicks. For Toxicroak, I'd recommend using Drain Punch over Cross Chop and Life Orb over Black Sludge. These changes give your Toxicroak quite a bit more power while reducing your recovery just a slight bit. A summarized list of changes can be found below.

Set:

Starmie @ Life Orb | Natural Cure
Timid | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | 0 Atk
Hydro Pump | Thunder | Rapid Spin | Psyshock

Nitpicks:
  • ---->
    • Cross Chop ----> Drain Punch
    • Black Sludge ------> Life Orb

Also, your replay, despite proving your point regarding Volcarona, was rather subpar overall. Both you and your opponent could have made better moves, your opponent more so than you. Sorry for the brevity of this rate. There's not much to improve upon, since it appears to be pretty solid as it is. Good luck with your team. Also, I'd think of giving your Politoed a more tasteful name, but that's just me...

TGMD

ƧÏÐÈ¥¯ÏĈ¼Á°¿±³´µ¶·¸¹º»ŤûŠť²ØéŋŌ
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey fatjake, nice team!

First of all, your team lacks Stealth Rock, an important move for any competitve team in this generation, it helps you acheieve many OHKOs / 2HKOs you would miss out on without them, there are many other benefits too, but there's just too many to list. An easy fix would just to be put Stealth Rock over one of Ferrothorn's current moves, but your team lacks a Flying resist, Tornadus-T can just come in and spam Hurricane's against your team, every time it comes in, it's likely you'll need to sac something and then try and revenge kill with Politoed every single time it comes out, this is far from a good solution for such a common pokemon in the current metagame. To help mitigate your Tornadus-T problem and give your team access to Stealth Rock, I suggest running a Bronzong over your current Ferrothorn. Bronzong takes barely any damage from Tornadus-T's Hurricane, and it's not very vulnerable to any of it's coverage moves either, making it a great Tornadus-T counter. Bronzong checks alot of the things Ferrothorn currently checks, the things Ferrothorn checked that Bronzong doesn't, such as water types, are covered by the rest of your team (half your team resists water, not including Ferrothorn and one is immune as it is, so no worried there.) Overall, Bronzong mitigates your Tornadus-T problem, provides Stealth Rock, and doesn't open you up to any new big threats.

Anyway, I hope this rate helped and GL with the team :)

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SDef
IVs: 2 Spd
Sassy Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake

Thanks guys those suggestions all sound great i'm going to give them a run right now and edit my importable section!

Edit:
After testing, hell yes. These suggestions are just what I needed! As my OP said, much of my victories were based on finding an UNPREPARED team. Now i find myself able to play against teams that before would give me trouble. Thanks guys, you rule! I'll probably edit the post into one of the chronological style RMT's later as i mess around!

Another replay, excuse my obvious misplay trying to earthquake a levitator!
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou5390077

Hi there,

Cool rain team you got here, but there are some issues that need to be addressed first. Mainly, I think one of the main problems this team has is the lack of a reliable win condition. You have no way of preventing or even setting up your own hazards, this is important when Dragonite / Volcarona are taking considerable damage upon switching in which can deter you from attempting to set up. There are two main ways to help with this, given that you're running a Rain Team. You could either go with Trinitrotoluene's suggestion of Life Orb Starmie, or alternatively you could go with Tentacruel, probably the standard physically defensive set, who also benefits from Rain Dish. Either of these would suffice, as they are reliable Rapid Spinners that make sweeping much easier. I'd say that you'd be better off replacing either Breloom or Toxicroak, probably Toxicroak as Breloom is a much more potent sweeper than Toxicroak, while Tentacruel also patches up some of the same problems Toxicroak helps you with -- reliably checking Terrakion and Keldeo.

Also looking over your team, it's apparent you really have no defensive backbone whatsoever, and you seem to be relying solely on Ferrothorn to do the work for you. I don't really understand your current set, as I don't see why you'd run some attack EVs for Power Whip when Ferrothorn doesn't need to be attacking anyway -- not to mention Grass is a pretty horrible offensive typing and those EVs can be put to much better use. I'd suggest a spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef with a Sassy Nature. If you combine this with Tentacruel (if you choose to use it) then your team starts to form some sort of defensive core, which is great as otherwise you flatout lose a Pokemon everytime a sweeper switches in. As TGMD stated, you are very weak to Tornadus-T, while Tentacruel + Ferrothorn + Scarf Politoed at least offers you some insurance against it. You may also want to run a set of Stealth Rock / Power Whip / Leech Seed / Thunder Wave, Spikes or Gyro Ball. This also provides you with hazards that make it easier to sweep.

If you still feel like you're overly weak to Tornadus-T, then a small change to help against it would be to try a Jolly Nature on Breloom, as this means that after a Low Sweep you outspeed all non-scarf variants of Tornadus-T, putting you in a position where you can Spore it or go for the 2HKO. It also helps you out against other Breloom checks, such as Adamant Mamoswine and Adamant Dragonite, either of which can dispose of Breloom easily if you are running an Adamant Nature yourself.

Also a small change, change the 4 HP EVs on Dragonite into another stat. With 4 HP EVs, this puts Dragonite at 324 HP which is divisible by 4. What this means is that Dragonite will die on 4 Stealth Rock switch-ins. By taking these seemingly meaningless 4 EVs away, you gain another switch-in to Stealth Rock as 323 is not divisible by 4, which is always appreciated because you cannot guarantee you will be able to successfully pull off a Rapid Spin every game with Starmie / Tentacruel if you decide to go with either of these.

Good luck!

Ive been wondering about Rain Dance teams, because I want to create one that uses mostly Water pokemons, but is that really competitive? as in, a Rain dance team who stalls, with pokemons like Jellicent, Tentacruel and Ludicolo. Is that possible?

I'm new to the forums btw :)

Hi there,

Cool rain team you got here, but there are some issues that need to be addressed first. Mainly, I think one of the main problems this team has is the lack of a reliable win condition. You have no way of preventing or even setting up your own hazards, this is important when Dragonite / Volcarona are taking considerable damage upon switching in which can deter you from attempting to set up. There are two main ways to help with this, given that you're running a Rain Team. You could either go with Trinitrotoluene's suggestion of Life Orb Starmie, or alternatively you could go with Tentacruel, probably the standard physically defensive set, who also benefits from Rain Dish. Either of these would suffice, as they are reliable Rapid Spinners that make sweeping much easier. I'd say that you'd be better off replacing either Breloom or Toxicroak, probably Toxicroak as Breloom is a much more potent sweeper than Toxicroak, while Tentacruel also patches up some of the same problems Toxicroak helps you with -- reliably checking Terrakion and Keldeo.

Also looking over your team, it's apparent you really have no defensive backbone whatsoever, and you seem to be relying solely on Ferrothorn to do the work for you. I don't really understand your current set, as I don't see why you'd run some attack EVs for Power Whip when Ferrothorn doesn't need to be attacking anyway -- not to mention Grass is a pretty horrible offensive typing and those EVs can be put to much better use. I'd suggest a spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef with a Sassy Nature. If you combine this with Tentacruel (if you choose to use it) then your team starts to form some sort of defensive core, which is great as otherwise you flatout lose a Pokemon everytime a sweeper switches in. As TGMD stated, you are very weak to Tornadus-T, while Tentacruel + Ferrothorn + Scarf Politoed at least offers you some insurance against it. You may also want to run a set of Stealth Rock / Power Whip / Leech Seed / Thunder Wave, Spikes or Gyro Ball. This also provides you with hazards that make it easier to sweep.

If you still feel like you're overly weak to Tornadus-T, then a small change to help against it would be to try a Jolly Nature on Breloom, as this means that after a Low Sweep you outspeed all non-scarf variants of Tornadus-T, putting you in a position where you can Spore it or go for the 2HKO. It also helps you out against other Breloom checks, such as Adamant Mamoswine and Adamant Dragonite, either of which can dispose of Breloom easily if you are running an Adamant Nature yourself.

Also a small change, change the 4 HP EVs on Dragonite into another stat. With 4 HP EVs, this puts Dragonite at 324 HP which is divisible by 4. What this means is that Dragonite will die on 4 Stealth Rock switch-ins. By taking these seemingly meaningless 4 EVs away, you gain another switch-in to Stealth Rock as 323 is not divisible by 4, which is always appreciated because you cannot guarantee you will be able to successfully pull off a Rapid Spin every game with Starmie / Tentacruel if you decide to go with either of these.

Good luck!
Your advice is very on point sir! Someone else i was chatting with on PS said the same about my defense. I traded out Ferrothorn for Bronzong, and Dragonite for Starmie.

Now, i'm going to experiment based on this users advice with the Bulk Up set on Toxicroak.

Thanks everyone! you guys are the best community as far as helping new players in any game i've played!

Any other words about defense would be highly appreciated. and keep an eye on this post for a sexy new look. I really hope to provide everyone with something interesting to look at!

CyberOdin✝

♫ ¨ I will persist ¨ ♪
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
Hi.
I want to help a bit, it is recommended that you have two fights on the same team so I recommend that you choose to stay, by whom desidas out, enters a jirachi Sp.D with 321, max HP and the remainder in Def, body slam to cut speed who receives the attack, head for paraflinch iron, steal rock for residual damage and wish to heal, that cost this also helps you support for dragons and Tornadus and say that some sp.a more, by dragonite is better get one Tornadus - t believe me serve you much better and to get more advantage to many situations, and if in such case the equipment walls complicate you test a Starmie / Tentacruel by Volcarona only evidence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)