OU Replay Contest - Round 4 Submissions OPEN

So fast comments on some replays :
1)Halcyon's replay : sun vs rain ; sun win weather war thanks to sunny day trapping tran ; gg ? I know it may be exagerated, but instead of Venusaur destroying things, it's Cress stalling/killing things and Saswbuck the other things.
2)MCBarret's replay : I agree with Shurtugal's comment about it, so I won't insist.
3)Shootinstarmie's replay : Interesting. In order, your opponent misplay by attacking Rotom with tar (he say himself he would have cancelled but it was too late). Sending Latios after that was risky but his options were limited. After, Mamoswine against Heatran would have seem to be a coinflip in first place, but seeing that besides tran, absolutely all Shootin's mon were not affraid of earthquake, risk-reward was more to do something else. After that, the surviving of Celebi is... Special ? According to calcs, there was a little more than 50% chance of KOing Bi right here, so it was all on luck for this move. After that, a very good baton pass followed by a little bit surprising HP Ice of Tran. Even Fire Blast would have done a huge chunck but Heatran would have been KOed. Some turns later, good play of Kushalos seeing the Gengar coming. The unlucky Icicle spear of Mammoswine followed by Rest of Rotom was another important moment. Breloom came, win momentum, and... Spore ? I would have bullet seed instead, or killing Rotom, or doing some damage to Latios/Bi, since Heatran will not switch in. All in all, after sporing bi, I feel than switching out was definitely losing the momentum he had. The switch in Tar was cool, but seeing his low HP it ended to be useless. After, I just wonder : WHY ? Why 2 SD ? Even after that, he don't OHKO Latios most of time, but he took the risk of what happened : Celebi getting out of sleep pretty fast, killing him, before he could kill, even with his great bullet seed roll. Finally, some switch-in, attacks and risky lategame predicting, ending to Latios winning the match for Starmie.
IMO, this is the best of the 5 first replays posted, but Kushalos was really hindered by bad luck (I can easily guess he would have win otherwise). Still, it's interesting in all the process of which decision take, and risk-reward blabla.
4)Scotti's replay : Skarmory as a lead was a little bit dumb. (Seriously, Rotom is VERY often choose as a lead, at least when there is not Breloom in the opposing team) After that, Scarf had the upper hand on all the match, stacking hazards, until that CM Latias which wasn't very well handled (Scarf had still what needed for, with 2 phazers) and got lucky. Agree with X5's about Mence, damn it would have been a scarf, Scarf (>_>) would have won easily. Knowing it wasn't, Scarf should probably have searched setup opportunity for him. IMO, one-sided on his first part, and one-sided on the other, not bad but I won't call it good.

I'll look at the others later, and also post mine.

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-40494117

My typical HO Offense vs Rain HO with Kyube and Thundrus-T. Luckily I love such kinds of teams because now Kingdra is ready from the go, now the trick is to use everyone else on the team to weaken the enemy foes and punch holes everywhere. I start with Breloom instead of my SR Landrus, and surely enough he takes my bait with Kyube Ice Beaming (he really was expecting that Landrus), at which point I proceed to Spore and SD. Even Celebi managed to get hurt (I outsped him) and managed to spin off SR afterwards. Unfortunately things turned sour from there, I lost my Starmie after Celebi miraculously lived on 3% and Breloom hit the low roll of Bullet Seed twice in a row (Celebi living would come back to bite me later), couldn't get his spikes off, lost my opputurnity to set up SR with Sash Landrous (sending him out there would be suicide), and lost both physical sweepers in vain, well actually Scizor chopped a most of Keledos health before he died.

It's 1-5 (Landrus is a sitting duck, doesn't count) and Kingdra is out to save the day, does he succeed? You'll see.

Edit: X5Dragon is my alt :p
Looking at the teams, X5dragon only needs Celebi weakened for Kingdra to sweep. Turn 3: Gobears makes a mistake by setting up Stealth Rock instead of killing Breloom. Turn 6: Celebi ko's Starmie with Giga Drain instead of going for the Recover, leaving Celebi at very low health. Turn 8: Gobears lets Dragonite kill Politoed, instead of predicting the Outrage and switching in Forretress. Turn 16: For the second time Celebi attacks instead of healing up, this allows Kingdra to take out Celebi. This mistake cost Gobears the game. The game ends with a Kingdra sweep.

I really enjoyed this match. It really shows how deadly Kingdra is in rain. X5dragon played smart by keeping Kingdra off the field until late game.

Last edited:
Ok, so here is my replay : http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/oususpecttest9342746
It was done in february during Deo-D suspect, when I was a learning BW2 player, after some laddering in january. I'm TP, and I face Electrolyte.
I played pretty carefully during the first turns, and was hindered by smart playing of Electrolyte coupled to a little bit of U-Turn/Volt Switch. Though, I managed to surprise him with my Heatran, but not to the point of doing decisive damage. Finally, the match starts to move at turn 16, when I lose a first mon, allowing me to gain momentum. At this very moment, I KOed what he thought to be a counter (this moment of the battle is my favorite). He retrieved momentum after this KO, but I now standed a chance. Several turns later, he still managed to keep a chance of winning the battle, but I was able to avoid being catch off guard by his smart plan.
Also, the discussion was pleasant. :p

I'm curious about your opinion. :)

ShootingStarmie

Bulletproof
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
if i can vote for my own replay than thats what i vote for. the game was seriously close, often coming down to just 1% to determine the game. match was against me imo, and i overcame it through in game decisions. there was hardly any hax which is always nice to see, and overall was just a great game.

however, if i cant vote for myself then i vote for ben gay. this game was so close it was actually a tie! ben gay uses a great tr team, which alone is pretty amazing in itself. the reason i wouldnt vote it over my battle is becauase of the freeze hax, which no one likes to see.

gl everyone

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yo, please wait until 12:00 EST (GMT -5) to vote -- approximately 4 hours from the time of this post. You'll have until the end of Saturday to cast your vote, and there's a format I want everyone to use. Wait a bit -- I appreciate your eagerness, though!

wcop semis battle

this was the first battle of asia vs LA in the wcop semis and my last wcop battle of the tournament (unless you include my battle in the finals where i used a maractus and steelix!). i was pitted against dracomalfoy, and this battle was directly after the landorus ban. i knew that draco was primarily a stall/balance-type player, so i wanted to make a reuniclus team to use against him because it works wonders against those types of teams. reuniclus also had a wonderful place in the metagame at this time since lati@s was no longer needed in (semi)stall teams to check landorus. to my dismay, he ended up using hyper offense; however, my defensive core still managed to help. i felt like my matchup at the beginning of the battle was mediocre and the battle would primarily be decided on play. his many dragons were scary in team preview and i thought they would prove to be problematic to my team. the MVP of the game was easily landorus-t who was running a gimmicky set of sleep talk + 3 atks. this set seems odd, but my team was desperately weak to breloom whom 6-0'd me otherwise and i needed an effective countermeasure. landorus-t nailed latios with u-turn, and i made a questionable play by going to heatran trying to set SR up. i wanted SR up so crunch could 2hko garchomp and i could get rid of multiscale, but sadly i was faced with an untimely crit. garchomp also managed to crit my landorus-t on the second time around, but i had time to set up some other hazards which ultimately led to his demise. i felt like this was a good game in the sense that i played well despite the unfortunate circumstances, and it was a pretty important match competitively speaking as well.

Last edited:
@Tassa I feel like this was one of the best battles on the thread. You didn't really misplay the whole battle, and you managed to have a decent opponent who gave you a challenge. I didn't like Electrolyte's play of switching Keldeo out of Heatran, and you possibly could have stayed in with Forretress vs Ditto and spammed SR, but your plan worked out in the end.

Ban Battle

In this high-stakes ban battle, where the loser received the punishment of being banned from the #wcop channel for eternity, XLR8's masterful play allows him to take down Laurel and his team of OU titans with a supposedly harmless bunch of RU and NU Pokemon. First, he weakens Landorus-T with his Feraligatr, knowing that the aforementioned Landorus is a major threat to his team. He then utilizes Pineco to its fullest potential, weakening Landorus-T even more and subsequently setting up Stealth Rock, giving him a major advantage for the rest of the game. He then skillfully weakens Jellicent with Lilligant, allowing Durant and Hitmonlee to become even larger threats due to the weakening of both Landorus-T and Jellicent, both of which stop them cold. He even uses the burn inflicted on his Pokemon to his advantage, making the use of Sleep Powder vs Jellicent a safe move, as even if the opposition switched to Xatu (as he did), the burn would prevent Lilligant from falling asleep. After weakening Xatu severely, XLR8 manages to bring in Mightyena. Laurel then makes a slight misplay and allows Mightyena to get a KO on Jellicent, subsequently giving it an Attack boost from Moxie. XLR8 then uses the aforementioned Moxie boost to knock out Tyranitar with a surprise combination of Rock Smash + Sucker Punch, and subsequently OHKO Ferrothorn with a +2 Fire Fang. With only 3 Pokemon left, the game has suddenly become extremely difficult for Laurel to win. Durant KOes Landorus-T, Heatran, and Xatu to clinch the game, providing XLR8 with a much-needed victory and Laurel with a one-way ticket out of the prestigious World Cup of Pokemon channel. The importance of this battle truly showcases how team matchup isn't everything: with perfect execution, XLR8 managed to handily take out a team of Standard OU threats with Pokemon that would normally never see the light of day, even in lower tiers.

Ban Battle

In this high-stakes ban battle, where the loser received the punishment of being banned from the #wcop channel for eternity, XLR8's masterful play allows him to take down Laurel and his team of OU titans with a harmless bunch of RU and NU Pokemon. First, he weakens Landorus-T with his Feraligatr, knowing that the aforementioned Landorus is a major threat to his team. He then utilizes Pineco to its fullest potential, weakening Landorus-T even more and subsequently setting up Stealth Rock, giving him a major advantage for the rest of the game. He then skillfully weakens Jellicent with Lilligant, allowing Durant and Hitmonlee to become even larger threats due to the weakening of both Landorus-T and Jellicent, both of which stop them cold. He even uses the burn inflicted on his Pokemon to his advantage, making the use of Sleep Powder vs Jellicent a safe move, as even if the opposition switched to Xatu (as he did), the burn would prevent Lilligant from falling to sleep. After weakening Xatu severely, XLR8 manages to bring in Mightyena. Laurel then makes a slight misplay and allows Mightyena to get a KO on Jellicent, subsequently giving it an Attack boost from Moxie. XLR8 then uses the aforementioned Moxie boost to knock out Tyranitar with a surprise combination of Rock Smash + Sucker Punch, and subsequently OHKO Ferrothorn with a +2 Fire Fang. With only 3 Pokemon left, the game has suddenly become extremely difficult for Laurel to win. Durant KOes Landorus-T, Heatran, and Xatu to clinch the game, providing XLR8 with a much-needed victory and Laurel with a one-way ticket out of the prestigious World Cup channel. The importance of this battle truly showcases how team matchup isn't everything: with perfect execution, XLR8 managed to handily take out a team of Standard OU threats with Pokemon that would normally never see the light of day, even in lower tiers.
As much as I love your description this wasn't the ban battle. It was the one after, when you flinched me 5x in a row with Rachi. But congratulations on kicking my butt.

Edit: This battle was painful to watch. :/

CTC

Banned deucer.
is a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Big Chungus Winner
As much as I love your description this wasn't the ban battle. It was the one after, when you flinched me 5x in a row with Rachi. But congratulations on kicking my butt.

Edit: This battle was painful to watch. :/
your tears!!!! theyr delicious :{p} lick lick yummy salty

edit: if i wanted to see garbage replays id just watch reruns of lonelyladdering. so why does this thread exist?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)