OU RMT: Hand-to-Hand Combat!

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
This is my first RMT, but I've lurked for quite a while before finally making an account. Now, this team is Bulky Offense - of course, the looming threat of Scizor overshadows all of the were-common frail offensive staples: Azelf and Gengar are both decimated by Bullet Punch and anything that shrugs that off certainly does not like 591 Attack U-Turns.

This team centers around noone and nothing - or everyone and everything, depending on your perspective. In fact, it is actually just defeating the enemy's core through good prediction, then devastating them with high-powered STAB moves from the likes of - well, everyone on my team has the potential to wreck havoc.

-----

At a Glance:

Synergy and Residual Damage:
  • 4 pokemon are not damaged by Sandstorm. One has Sand Veil to take advantage of it.
  • There are no Hail resistors, but Ice types mean I gain a SR weak, plus I have Heatran and Scizor anyway.
  • Only one SR weak.
  • One pokemon hit by Toxic Spikes, but is Choiced and switches out alot so that does not really matter.
  • Three pokemon can be hit by Spikes =(. However I have 2 Fire attacks to hit Forretress and Skarmory plus one Electric attack.
  • No more than 2 pokemon weak in any type, and every type is resisted.
-----

Looking Up Close:

The Lead: The way my offensive teams usually work start off with an antilead. Given this pokemon's high Attack score plus great STAB to work with and decent coverage in today's metagame, most games will have a 5-6 startoff.

JediKnight the (Male) Lucario @ Focus Sash
~Close Combat
~Crunch
~Counter
~Extremespeed
nature: Lonely (+Atk, -Def)
ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP , 252 Atk , 252 Spe

For my new team, I wanted a pokemon that could serve as an anti-lead, but did not nessescarily have to have Stealth Rock. I found light in Lucario, who could defeat the three top suicide leads, Azelf, Aerodactyl and Infernape, two bulky leads, Swampert and Bronzong, and even other anti-leads: Starmie and Empoleon.

Lucario will help me gain momentum, as typical startoffs give me a one-pokemon head start. Azelf and Aerodactyl will be 2HKOd by Crunch or Close Combat followed by Extremespeed to negate their Focus Sash. Infernape, who usually uses Fake Out to beat Focus Sashers, will be appalled when I attack even after it, thanks to Inner Focus, for a 2HKO. Smarter players might get off a quick attack or Stealth Rock. Against Starmie and Empoleon, I use Crunch or Close Combat, cracking open the former while finishing the latter with Extremespeed (it carries Aqua Jet). Counter will help me finish off Bronzong or Swampert who use Earthquake and forces lead Gyarados or Salamence to the cemetery if they setup beforehand. Lucario's minimum HP is higher than half of Salamence and Gyarados' maximum HP, resulting in a KO, plus Focus Sash means you can spam Counter (unless you are up against a BulkyGyara.)

The EVs and nature are pretty straightforward, with 252/252 for greater damage potential with a nice square point in HP. Lonely nature is utilized for a more-likely activated Focus Sash, and thus, a stronger Counter. Hasty nature may be tested out.

-----

The Glue: These two very important pokemon give some very needed defense and counter the last half's nightmares. They each have a way to shut down Baton Pass teams and have respectable attack power while mantaining bulk.

DarkKnight the (Male) Gliscor @ Leftovers
~Earthquake
~Roost
~Taunt
~U-Turn
nature: Jolly (+Spe , -SpA)
ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP , 40 Def, 216 Spe

Occupying spot number two was something I wanted to take out Fighters and preferably Tyranitar along with it. Gliscor gave me a solid choice, beating Lucario, Heracross and Tyranitar but also gave a way to beat Baton Pass teams and could heal itself. Set stolen from Legacy Raider =).

Gliscor can help me turn the battle around, for example when I am a pokemon down against a Choice Pokemon's Earthquake, such as those from Mamoswine, Gliscor gets in for revenge. It uses U-Turn to scout, and then on the next time I predict and attack accordingly. If the pokemon was one who set up , like Gyarados, Gliscor Taunts. If the pokemon can be 2HKOd by Earthquake while Gliscor mantains life, it attacks accordingly. Shall it be in a situation where the switch-in does not pose an immediate threat (OHKO) to it, it will take the turn to heal up via Roost if need be.

The EVs and nature are typical, running enough speed to outrun Jolly Lucario and KO it with a swift Earthquake, a lot of HP EVs to maximize physical survivability, and the remainder in Defence.

-----

Chihoro the (Female) Heatran @ Shuca Berry
~Earth Power
~Flamethrower
~Stealth Rock
~Roar
nature: Calm (+SpD, -Atk)
ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP , 16 SpA, 240 SpD

Second member of my mold-together just had to be my Stealth Rocker, and while it was at it, a pHazer for good measure. Heatran was chosen for its ability to also take many special attacks, thanks to Ghost, Dark, Ice, Fire, Psychic and Grass resistances and immunities, plus a good defensive spread.

Heatran performs very specific roles for this team: Stealth Rocking, pHazing, and walling. Thanks to nice Special Attack, it can top many enemies with repeated Earth Power, and even 3HKOs Tentacruel (Predict, hit it on the switch, switch out. Rinse and repeat.). Flamethrower is chosen as this Heatran won't mind the attack drop too much, plus as its one of my main Scizor counters it would really suck if Fire Blast missed while I get KOd by +2 Brick Break.

The EVs and nature are specific, with enough defense to always live a Timid LO Gengar's Shadow Ball + Focus Blast while everything else is put into SpA.

-----

The Core: These pokemon are the ones that usually end the match with their very powerful blows. Matching enemies strike for strike, they typically end up on top unless against one of their devoted counters. This will be split into 3 different sections, but I'll get into that later.

The Wallbreaker: This can beat SkarmBliss and put Cresselia in a dillemma. This was hands-down Salamence or Infernape: They both devastate SkarmBliss so they are 2 pokemon short if played on an offensive team, while Cresselia was 3HKOd (Salamence) and 2HKOd (Infernape, but it's likely taking a Psychic).

Damon the (Male) Salamence @ Life Orb
~Draco Meteor
~Earthquake
~Flamethrower
~Outrage
nature: Naiive (+Spe, -SpD)
ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 Atk , 252 SpA , 252 Spe

Courtesy of RaikouLover, the said Salamence can crush stall like a Danimals Crush Cup and live to tell the tale. Stealth Rock severely hurts, sandstorm does not remedy this and Life Orb certainly diminishes the chances of living long, but if you switch in twice to Stealth Rock you have 4 turns to attack: all 4 of these hits will deal insane damage.

While it looks like a normal MixMence, it is very fast and uses this speed to scout switches with Earthquake or Flamethrower, then unleash Draco Meteor. The big hit should be preserved for late-game, and Dragon Claw is currently in testing.

The EVs and nature are about as straightforward as a Choice Bander with Fire Blast, with the Attack and SpAttack EVs swapped. Draco Meteor is your main attack here, ripping holes in the metagame (2HKOs Rotom-Appliance if it switches into Stealth Rock, switches out, then comes back in later and takes it). Naiive nature to boost speed while not hindering any attack.

-----
The Sweeper: This pokemon is the most 'sweeper-oriented,' with either a Choice item and a decent attack spread or a boosting item, so it was definitely either Lucario or Scizor. Choice Band Lucario is not very viable from my experience, and Life Orb would violate the rare Item Clause, so I chose CBScizor.

Fisticuffs the (Male) Scizor @ Choice Band
~Bullet Punch
~Superpower
~Pursuit
~U-Turn
nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP , 176 SpD, 76 Atk, 4 Spe

Take 591 Attack, give or take 50 attack points, and you end up with, also RaikouLover's, Scizor. While intended to be Life Orb with the current EV spread, who says you can't modify it? Besides, this is Pokemon...

Revenge killers such as Scarfed Gengar or Starmie locked into Shadow Ball or Ice Beam are perfect switch-ins. If the player is scared of Magnezone, they should use U-Turn to escape and scout. If Scizor is aiming to nab a kill and you know Magnezone isn't present, you aren't scared of it, or it will die from Stealth Rock, you can use Pursuit to the obvious switchout. Bullet Punch is a must on Scizor these days, who's become quite known for it, with Superpower to maim Steel types - 66% to Choice Scarf Jirachi, and that takes neutral damage.

EVs allow great special survivability, something Scizor sometimes needs given the amount of Bulky Waters switching in on him, while outrunning no-speed Metagross (RestTalkers, and they exist) and mantaining alot of power.

-----

The Counter: You simply can't make a team in Platinum without taking in account Salamence and Gyarados, and on a hyper offensive team usually to counter these is thrown in a Scarfed BoltBeamer with over 100 base speed. But do not think their specialties end there, for if it fits the above requirements then it can also clean up a game well.

Meredith the Starmie @ Choice Scarf
~Hydro Pump
~Ice Beam
~Thunderbolt
~Trick
nature: Timid (+Spe -Atk)
ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 120 HP, 136 Spe, 252 SpA

The only thing that Starmie really has over the other common Scarf-Counters, Gengar and Latias, is Water STAB. But on a team that lacks Rotom-W or bulky waters like mine, that might just be enough to verify a team slot.

Ice Beam and Thunderbolt will destroy Salamence and Gyarados respectively, outrunning them even after a Dragon Dance. Hydro Pump hits everything else, and is emphasized for this Starmie lacks much power for a Choiced Pokemon (compare it to Porygon-Z). Trick beats stall, and importantly Blissey.

Timid and 136 Speed EVs gives you enough speed to outrun Salamence after you've tricked the scarf, and outruns +1 Salamence when you still have it. 252 SpA for damage and 120 HP just for bulk. You can run Modest and more Speed EVs, but I've found that I like the extra bulk from running Timid.

-----

Well, that is my team, and I hope you have enjoyed it. Please rate, because all comments will be taken to heart!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)