OU Sandstorm Team

Howdy folks. I had my UU RMT thread locked so that I could post this one here. The UU team got a nice reception in advice and is now a squad that I can be quite proud of. I'd like to thank everyone who voiced an opinion there (namely Sly) as it couldn't be done without y'all.

Anyway, I'm not a one trick pony and I do like to dabble in OU too sometimes, however occasionally. But I regular find my ass getting kicked with regular lineups. I figured that I needed something to give me the edge and this works fairly well for me. There shouldn't be any major faults with it, I hope, I think I just need to iron out the creases in this to make it a force to be reckoned with. Rather than a lucky break. My record with this is okay, but it could be better. So as why I'm posting it.

Ok. The team is, obviously, based around a Sandstorm. So everyone here is chosen because the can utilize it in someway. The team is actually eight members, who I alternate when I feel I'm being to becoming predictable. I'll post them all, but I'll show the six that I used most regularly.
At a glance, we have:

Stealth Rock Lead
Gliscor @ Leftovers
Sand Veil
EV: 252 SPD/252 HP/6 DEF
Jolly Nature
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Roost
-U-Turn

Gliscor here is my reliable lead, and seldom lets me down. The main idea here is to scout an opposing lead; then either lay down Rocks or U-Turn the hell out of there. This is the standard lead set to a Gliscor, so there is little point explaining why everything is like it is. Max speed to lay down rocks first or else U-Turn before danger. I like having U-turn in this set, as lots of people use Psychics as leads, mostly Pixies, and dealing damage there is a nice trick if they think I'm going for rocks. It's more important to talk about who I usually U-Turn in to so...

Sand Streaming Physical Sweeper
Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Sand Stream
EV: 180 HP/252 ATK/76 SPD
Adamant Nature
-Pursuit
-Aqua Tail
-Stone Edge
-Crunch

It's a Sandstorm team, so we need a Streamer. Tyranitar is my choice over the hippo, cos he's more defensively inclined and a lot of my team are like that. In short, I needed an aggressive physical sweeper to Stream. It's a no brainer. Tyranitar is also my Pursuit artist, if we've U-Turned from a Pixie then pursuit nabs them every time. Other times it's just straight forward ass kicking with Ty. STAB boosted moves and aqua tail because no one else has the ability to pack a strong water type punch. His EV's are designed to make him able to take a few hits and then deal a few larger ones of his own. Little more to say there.

Revenge Killer I
Magnezone @ Life Orb
Magnet Pull
EV: 252 ATK/252 SPD/6 DEF
Quiet Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Hooray! Not a standard set Pokemon! Okay, it's heavily based on one; with a few tweaks. Life Orb over Scarf, as I like to use him as a revenge killler on other Steels that have walloped Ty (or waters) and then spread around Paralysis. His respectable bulk makes this fairly doable. HP fire is a lucky break for me as something to use in conjunction with Magnet Pull. EV's are standard for my Special Sweepers.

Revenger Killer II
Flygon @ Leftovers
Levitate
EV: 252 HP/ 176 DEF/ 80 SPD
Timid Nature
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Roost

Damn, another standard set. I like be unique, but my teams get hammered when I do. Shame. Oh well, this set works almost exactly like Magnezone. Tyranitar gets screwed by a Grass Knot and Flygon comes in. The thing with this is that people get greedy with grass types here, as they thing they'll get a Super Effective hit again on him. What they don't realise, is that Flygon reaches 281 Speed and has Fire Blast. Which often makes light work of them. After that, I like to keep him in the same way I do with Magnezone. To spread status. This time it's the Toxic, and Roost is there to use Flygon as a stall. EV's are stall EV's. Dual roles, pefecto!

Trickdol
Claydol @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
EV: 176 HP/176 SP.DEF/80 SPD
Jolly Nature
-Trick
-Earth Power
-Psychic
-Ice Beam

This is an odd one, I like the role I've given Claydol. But I don't know if this is the best spread to do so. He's a Special Wall/Trick Scarfer. The theory is that I can come in to wall, and use the Trick if they switch out. Either that or a let the Doll loose with Special Attacks of his own. Like I say, it's a nice like niche but I don't think the nature and EV's work for it...

Physical Wall
Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Keen Eye
EV: 252 HP/252 DEF/6 SPD
Impish Nature
-Spikes
-Whirlwind
-Roost
-Brave Bird

The standard Skar set I think, there to wall and Spike. Then mix the bag around when I get bored with Whirlwind. I won't go through this set easy as y'all probably know it better than I do. Shed Shell to prevent getting done over by the popular floating magnet and Spikes because I've already got a rocker.

That covers the team I use most of the time. Like I say, it's okay. But I don't wanna settle for good not great; so advice goes a long, long way. I can't be too bothered to add the other two options that I use right now. I'll do that later today and maybe stick up a threat list too. Thanks in advance y'all.

On Gliscor taunt is very helpful, especially since you don't have a rapid spinner. You might want to get rid of U-Turn. I would also suggest subbing one of you pokes for a spinblocker since you have Stealth Rock and Spikes. Maybe Flygon for a nice defensive Rotom-C. Also something to consider is that you have 3 pokes with ice weakness, 2 of them that take it x4. Once Skarm is down, Weavile can take down all of your pokes. Good team.

Hi Maverick. This is a fairly cool team but it does have some serious issues. The main one stems from you only using pokemon which are unaffected by sandstorm damage, which is obviously desirable, but in this case you have no water resists and there are a LOT of pokemon which can sweep straight through your team (mostly special threats).

-Gyarados. DD + Taunt Gyarados in particular really should 6-0 you if its used competently.
-Infernape. Basically, your Claydol can stop it from sweeping once, but it takes a lot of damage from Nape's fire attacks and forces you to lock a Pursuit-vulnerable pokemon into a move which will do absolutely nothing to Tyranitar.
-Togekiss. Not too common but will go right through this, only needing to avoid Claydol's Trick/
-Gengar = Ouch. Can set up on Gliscor and will kill at least one pokemon from behind its Sub. Once it takes out Claydol and weakens Skarmory thats it.
-Starmie = OHKO's everything with its LO Hydro pump, really unstoppable for your team.
-Breloom = Not as much of a problem but still, comes in fairly safely by Sporing something and you really don't have a way to take it out (bar Gliscor's U-turn, which won't break the Sub of any bulkier variants).
-Dragonite = Especially the mixed set, which OHKO's and outspeeds everything you have except Claydol (which it gets pretty close to with Draco Meteor).

Okay, so thats a pretty intimidating list. The first and most important thing is a bulky water type, which covers Gyarados, most Infernape, and Dragonite, as well as checking Gengar. Your team also seems to lack some direction in terms of overall strategy, so for this rate I'm going to assume you want a bulky offense team of sorts using Spikes to take advantage of switches. Lets start by replacing your Claydol with a Milotic.

Okay, that change already helps a lot. Now, to handle Starmie properly we need a ghost to block rapid spin. The usual solution is to use a Choice Scarf Rotom-A but that's 1. BORING and 2. Limits you offensively.
Speaking offensively for the moment, CB Tyranitar makes a nice sweeping combination with Magnezone and an offensive Rotom-A (such as Subsplit, SubCharge etc). So, I'd say that the current unfinished team's make up would be:

-Skarmory
-Magnezone
-Tyranitar
-Rotom-A
-Milotic

This is really solid, just has some problems with Lucario, Tyranitar and so on. Scarf Magnezone > the current Magnezone fixes the Lucario issue, while we can put a Scarf Flygon in the final slot to patch up any remaining problems (and its U-turn is great for abusing Spikes and SR damage). So your team would be:

-Skarmory (SpDef EV's, SR / Spikes / Roost / Whirlwind)
-Flygon (Choice Scarf, use Thunderpunch over Stone Edge)
-Magnezone (Choice Scarf - try HP Ground to trap Heatran)
-Milotic
-Rotom-W (offensive SubSplit, with Life Orb and Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump / Substitute / Pain Split)
-Tyranitar (Choice Band - or, if you prefer, a Dragon Dance set with Shuca Berry and Ice Punch is great right now too)

Hope the suggestions helps, good luck with the team :)

-Skarmory (SpDef EV's, SR / Spikes / Roost / Whirlwind)
-Flygon (Choice Scarf, use Thunderpunch over Stone Edge)
-Magnezone (Choice Scarf - try HP Ground to trap Heatran)
-Milotic
-Rotom-W (offensive SubSplit, with Life Orb and Thunderbolt / Hydro Pump / Substitute / Pain Split)
-Tyranitar (Choice Band - or, if you prefer, a Dragon Dance set with Shuca Berry and Ice Punch is great right now too)

Hope the suggestions helps, good luck with the team :)
Maybe it is better to keep Flygon's old set, since with a choice scarf you have 2 scarfers and one banded poke, which means you don't have a lot of attacking options. I think it is better to go with this Flygon set:

Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Rash/ Naive Nature, 80 att, 252 spatt, 176 speed
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Roost

This set is really underestimated and is a mixed wallbreaker. It looks like your old Flygon set but this one doesn't have def. ev's since you already have Skarmory and probably a bulky water.

For Magnezone a Choice Scarf is fine and Hp Ground probably is better than Hp Fire since your team doesn't seem to have problems with either Scizor or Forretress since Skar can take them Both and Magnezone also (if Scizor is locked into BP or Pursuit). I would go for this set:

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Naive Nature, 6 hp, 252 spatt, 252 speed
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hp Ground
- Explosion

Milotic seems a cool idea to do something against water pokes, but to me Vaporeon looks better since it's got the move Wish to heal the team and a nice ability to gain hp when it's hit by a water type move. This is the set that should work:

Vaporeon @ leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold Nature, 248 hp, 224 def, 36 spdef
- Wish
- Protect/ Toxic
- Surf
- Hp Electric/ Ice Beam/ Toxic

Protect/ Toxic depends on what you want. Protect obviosly is to ensure you gain Wish recovery and can be combined with Toxic stalling. Although if you use Wish + Protect + Toxic it means you only have one attacking move so in my opinion I would go for Wish + Toxic + Surf + Hp Electric, so you have something to hit Gyarados and a good STAB move. Protect is nice but now you have to time better if you want to use Wish. To me that set worked great since Hp Electric also ensures you can hit opposing water types and you are not a taunt bait.

Hope I helped you and good luck with your team!

Flygon @ Leftovers
Levitate
EV: 252 HP/ 176 DEF/ 80 SPD
Timid Nature
-Fire Blast
-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Roost

i Don't get this set ._., Scarf is your best option and swap Gliscor's set to a StallBreaker set and lead with Claydol support set.

B-Zard, I suggested Scarf Flygon over the mixed set because its essential to cover his threats properly, in addition to working better offensively due to the fast U-turn and spikes. That Flygon is usually used as a lure to kill off Skarmory and Forretress but since we have Magnezone there's no point.

Also, Vaporeon is definitely a solid choice in place of Milotic. I suggested Milotic because it has Recover, meaning it can run three different attacks to cover all the necessary threats. With Vaporeon, you're always going to be screwed over by either of Gyarados or Dragonite.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)