[OU] The Newbie Team

[OU] Now seriously...

Seriously...it's a team that goes by the name of 'The Team'.

At a glance:

Swampert @ Leftovers
Torrent
Relaxed
EVs: 236 HP/ 216 Def/ 56 SpD
~ Surf
~ Protect
~ Stealth Rock
~ Earthquake

OK Swampy here is my lead. Swampy sets up Stealth Rock and is some sort of Mixed Sweeper. Surf and Earthquake STAB with Ice Beam can be quite a good combo also noting that Surf does more to most ground types as they usually have a worse Special Defense than Defense.

Heracross @ Choice Band
Guts
Jolly
EVs: 64 HP / 184 Atk / 192 Spe/ 68 Sp Def
~ Megahorn
~ Close Combat
~ Stone Edge
~ Pursuit

Heracross. One of the most fearsome physical threats in the game as Smogon puts it and they are right. One of Hera's best counters Gliscor is taken care of by Gyarados. Most normal Pokemon shouldn't survive Hera's 120 power STAB attacks and Stone Edge takes care of the flying types that would come in otherwise. Pursuit can counter Rotom and switching psychic types.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Intimidate
Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
~ Dragon Dance
~ Waterfall
~ Ice Fang
~ Stone Edge

Lucario hates Gliscor and Gyarados takes care of that but it can do other jobs as well. Dragon Dance boosts Gyara's speed and attack to make it even more frightening. Waterfall is Physical STAB and makes the Water/Ice combo. Stone Edge comes to kill those pesky ice types who try to ruin my fun. Bounce has flying STAB and a chance of Paralyzing.

Jolteon @ Choice Specs
Volt Absorb
Timid
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
~ Thunderbolt
~ Hidden Power Grass
~ Shadow Ball
~ Baton Pass

Hey look it's Jolteon, that awesome electric Eeveelution! Yep, it's Jolteon and she's here to absorb the electric attacks Gyarados will otherwise be suffering. Also a sweeper as well as a electric absorber with STAB, HP Grass for Grounds and Shadow Ball for a certain Rotom. Baton Pass is just a get away from threats.

Latias @ Choice Scarf
Levitate
Timid
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
~ Surf
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Trick
~ Draco Meteor

'Scarf Latias can be a useful backstop to DDMence/DDGyara/Heatran, with the ability to revenge kill things' Surf and Draco Meteor work well and hit almost everything with neutral damage. Trick can mess up Blissey and I HATE Blissey(shudders at Blissey that killed last team). Dragon Pulse is for sweeping without Sp Att lowering.

Lucario @ Life Orb
Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
~ Swords Dance
~ Extremespeed
~ Close Combat
~ Crunch

Oh yes...it's the Lucario who's threats I've been countering for a while, finally it gets to come out! Close Combat is pretty powerful STAB and Extremespeed is the best priority move in the game. Crunch kills Rotom-A. This can kill a lot of Pokemon after a Swords Dance so...yeah.

And that is my team...yeah it needs work, I'm newish to Competitive battling.

Uh...thanks to anyone who helps even if it's one moveset change or item change :)

Seriously I appreciate help, even a little~

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just run Protect on Swampert; you can scout for offensive leads (The SR/Explosion Metagross lead is popular, you have a chance to Protect it's Explosion)

I would run Jolly on Heracross, in order to outspeed things like Mamoswine and non-scarf Heatran. I also prefer Pursuit; Guts Heracross is an excellent Rotom counter (and you can draw some EVs from Speed - enough to reach 285 and Attack into SDef - about 68 EVs is good) to better take T-Bolts and Shadow Balls) - it is boosted by Will-o-Wisp, is not hurt by Trick at all (It could definitely use a Scarf) and Pursuits Rotom back to hell.

I don't like Life Orb on Gyarados; I really think Leftovers should be used to cushion the blow from Stealth Rock. I prefer Bounce to Ice Fang; it gets Flying STAB, and the para chance can be disruptive.

Specs Jolteon is fine as is, but would you consider Life Orb + Charge Beam? Not much drop off in power, with the ability to gain boosts as you finish off weakened opponents.

Porygon2 doesn't do anything Swampert doesn't already do, and it's not a counter to mixed/specially oriented Salamence. Scarf Latias with Thunderbolt/Draco Meteor/Ice Beam/Surf can be a useful backstop to DDMence/DDGyara/Heatran, with the ability to revenge kill things.

Ah, mixed Lucario...I dunno; CC and Aura Sphere? I'd rather just run standard Swords Dance/Extremespeed/Close Combat/Ice Punch - it does much more damage to the threats you name than a special set.

I sugest running Crunch over Ice Punch on Lucario since as you said Gyarados can to some extent kill off Gliscor and you have no way to deal with Rotom-A who has increased dramatically

Kay.

Jolteon outspeeds most things I've faced. It gives me a few KOs, not as much as some but quite a few(I'm thinking of getting rid of the Choice Specs, it doesn't seem to help as much as hinder but that might just be me)

Jolteon and Lucario seem to die the fastest but do quite a bit before falling and Latias/Swampert stay around longer. Gyarados usually dies unless Jolteon is alive because Thunder/bolt/punch/etc kills it and a lot of Pokemon I've battled have Electric attacks(of course, of course...)

Hmm...

I lack a Rapid Spinner...and OU is dangerous without one. Starmie? Or Donphan? Forretress?

Ice Beam on Latias is moot because you have Surf to hit Ground types and Dragon Pulse is overall better for an alternate STAB without suffering a -2 SpA drop.

For that Latias, you actually want to replace Ice Beam with Dragon Pulse. Ice Beam actually hits 4x weaks, such as Dragonite and Mence, for less damage than Draco Meteor, due to STAB and its already higher base power. Using Dragon Pulse instead increases Latias's sweeping potential, as, with steel types removed, it can plow through a team with a Dragon-type STAB that doesn't lower its SAtk.

Throw Trick in there over Thunderbolt if you want to screw up Blissey. I've run Thunderbolt on Latias in the past and it's nice, but it's not the best thing to be locked into as Ground types get a free switch in, and you don't want to give Gliscor an opportunity to get off a Swords Dance. You also have Jolteon already.

Thanks everyone~

Yesh, a special wall. But who to choose? And who to replace?

Dragon Pulse has replaced Ice Beam. Trick has replaced Thunderbolt as I hate Blissey.

Did someone suggest to put bounce on dos? Yeah don't listen to them. Bounce lets your opponent switch in a appropriate counter. So change it back to either ice fang or EQ.

Yep, it was suggested. I usually listen to suggestions as I'm not too good at thinking too well myself :)

But then again I knew that, it was just buried at the back of my mind where it wasn't found till now :O

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)