-This is my first RMT but I think this team is pretty Fire Check It Out-

kyurem.gif
metagross.gif
blastoise-mega.gif
krookodile.gif
whimsicott.gif
infernape.gif

-Background-
I wanted to build a Bulky Offense Team in the UU Tier and use a Dragon, Steel Core while doing so. Initially I thought of using Mega Sceptile and Lucario, but neither of them seemed to fit the bid. So I continued to look at other Dragon Types in the Tier and was left with Kyurem from there it was pretty obvious that Metagross would be it's best partner. From there the other members of the team kind "fell into place". With Blastoise controlling Hazards and Infernape checking Sabyleye and faster threats.

-The Team-

kyurem.gif

Paarthurnax (Kyurem) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 28 HP / 236 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

The main Reason I decided to make Kyurem the "Star" of the Team is because of its massive wall breaking capabilities. Kyurem completely covers it's weaknesses besides Fighting with this moveset and can hit incredibly hard. Aside from its abilities to wall break Kyurem can also take some damage. It can live a Choice Scarfed Flare Blitz from Darmanitan, Choice Banded Knock Off From Krookadile and a Dragon Pulse from Mega Sceptile and O'KO each Pokemon listed above.

metagross.gif

AMD (Metagross) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 216 HP / 140 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Next on the Team is Metagross. During the Team Building process I struggled to find a good partner for Kyurem. I tried to fit Mega Aggron, Cobalion, and Lucario, but no pokemon seemed to fit as good as Metagross did. Not only does he check Sylveon, a major threat to Kyurem he can O'KO most Fighting Types in the Tier. Such as Machamp, Toxicroak, Lucario, Cobalion, Heracross, and depending on the spread Conkeldur which can all switch in on Kyurem depending on the move and easily kill it. With Assualtvest Metagross can easily switch into Sylveon and other Special wall breakers (Mega-Sceptile, Mega Ampharos, Tornadus) and O'KO it with Meteor Mash.

blastoise-mega.gif

Oscar (Blastoise-Mega) (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

Mega Blastoise is probably my favorite Mega Evolution. Not only does it do it's job as being an Offensive Tank almost perfectly it looks like a bad ass while doing it. Mega Blastoise immediately pressures any Fire, Flying, Ground, and Rock Type it sees by merely having high Special Attack and Water STAB. In addition Mega Blastoise can shut down any Physically Offensive Threat by burning it. Lastly Mega Blastoise possess the move rapid Spin which mean your Team has a reliable way to clear hazards. Threats for M-Blastoise include Grass and Electric Types, although blastoise does get Ice Beam. This is usually not enough to O'KO most Grass Types.

krookodile.gif

Bandit (Krookodile) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Super Power

Enough has been said about the viability of Krookodile in the recent months so I won't waste much time. Krookodile is the best Moxie Sweeper in the Tier and is one of the best Mid-Game Wall Breakers and Late Game Sweepers in the entire ORAS Meta. If used properly Krookodile can mean the difference between winning or loosing a match. For this specific team Krookodile checks Psychic Types such as Espeon and Reuniclus and can check most Electric Types in the Tier that threaten Mega-Blastoise.

whimsicott.gif

Scout (Whimsicott) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 240 HP / 140 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Cotton Guard
- Encore

Although Whimsicott may not come off as the most Defensive Pokemon it can certainly wall Physical Threats such as Mega-Absol, Conkeldur, Haxorus, Krookodile, Sharpedo, and Cloyster. Whimsicott has access to the Ability prankster which means it can easily trap treats into their Set-Up moves by using Encore and get a kill or force a Switch. In addition Whimsicott is a Fairy Type which means it's immune to Dragon Types and resists Fighting Types, providing more support for Kyurem and Krookodile. Cotton Guard can be switched for various moves like Tailwind, U-Turn,Leech-Seed, Knock Off, or Psychic. Lastly Whimsicott can be used to check bulky Water Types like Suicune and Vaporeon.

infernape.gif

Mojo (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance

Infernape is the premier Set-Up 'Mon on the team. I decided to go with a full Physical Set to maximize Sword Dance's usefulness. Infernape definitely suffers from "Four Move Syndrome" but i believe this set fits the team best. In addition to being a Set-Up Sweeper Infernape can be used to quickly revenge kill opposing threats and pressure the opposing team Mid to Late Game.

Full Team & Song Below

Paarthurnax (Kyurem) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 28 HP / 236 SpA / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

AMD (Metagross) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 216 HP / 140 Atk / 36 Def / 116 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake

Oscar (Blastoise-Mega) (M) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 164 HP / 252 SpA / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- Rapid Spin

Bandit (Krookodile) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge
- Super Power

Scout (Whimsicott) (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 140 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- Cotton Guard
- Encore

Mojo (Infernape) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Punch
- Swords Dance

Last edited:

rs

STANDING ON BUSINESS
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
Hey man, cool looking team! It's built pretty well but I just have some quick moveset optimizations for you.
  • First off, you definitely should be running max speed on both Kyurem and Infernape, the 2 and 1 point difference can really make a difference in some games that could be decided by speed ties and I don't think the few extra points in bulk would really matter.

• Next, I'd recommend U-turn over Cotton Guard on Whimsicott. With 3 insanely good wallbreakers in Kyurem, Blastoise, and Infernape, you want to get them in as much as possible, and with the things that switch in on whims (steel types, crobat, etc), you could get off a heavy hit with any of those with a free switch. I would also consider running Yache Berry on Whims as well for Mamoswine, as it could be quite an issue for this team.

• And lastly, I'd recommend using Superpower > Stone Edge on Krookodile and Focus Blast > Flash Cannon on Kyurem. There are some common Pokemon used to check Krookodile (Cobalion, Empoleon) which can run a Shuca Berry to counterplay it, and Superpower is the perfect move to get around them if they're weakened. Also on Kyurem, I get hitting fairies is important with Flash Cannon, but you have a Metagross to combat them and Focus Blast actually gives a better way to combat bulky normals like Porygon2, Blissey, and Snorlax without having to go straight to Infernape. Another option on Krook could also be Pursuit > Crunch for a fleeing Celebi or Chandelure but its purely preference.
But other than those really small changes, I think you have a really solid team! Good luck!

Thanks for the advice it all makes sense. I'm definetly gonna put U-Turn on Whims and max out Infernapes and Kyurem's speed.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Hey there NextGen96z while I agree with Shiba 's changes, I have some issues myself that I would love to help patch up so here we go!
  • First off, I noticed that you lack any sort of entry hazard which isn't the most ideal for an effective team as entry hazards can help chip away at the opponent and force them into a corner a lot quicker with the powerful Pokemon on your team such as Kyurem and Infernape. Furthermore, Assault Vest Metagross with a bulkier spread will still die to super effective physical hits from the likes of Krookodile, Entei, and so forth. For this reason, going with an Offensive Stealth Rock set > current one can help your team have access to the most ubitquitous entry hazard as well as add more power to your team. A Shuca Berry also allows Metagross to take on Mega Aerodactyl 1v1 or tanking a Ground hit in general from the likes of Celebi and Nidoqueen and firing back.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt / Explosion
  • Next up, bulky Whimsicott sadly still dies to most hits due to the lack of natural stats to back up its great resistances. With Whimsicott, you want to take advantage of its fantastic speed coupled with these resists to combat the likes of Mamoswine (if holding Yache Berry), Krookodile, and opposing Dragon-types such as Haxorus sans Poison Jab. For this reason, an offensive set > current one allows Whimsicott to pressure those Pokemon you want to take hits from while being able to keep up with the offensive pressure this team wants to apply to the opponent.

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate / Yache Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Encore
  • Lastly, while not a necessary change, going with Thunder Punch > Mach Punch on Infernape allows you to have a solid answer to Gyarados that will commonly switch into Infernape and take on Water-types in general since Whimsicott is your only true answer to Water-types. Thunder Punch also relieves the pressure of Whimsicott being forced out by Gyarados due to its neutrality to Whimsicott's Grass STAB and Gyarados's Bounce being super effective against Whimsicott.

Mach Punch ---> Thunder Punch

Other than that, the team looks really nice starting out (especially with the potential ban of Hydreigon looming). Hope my changes helped and good luck n_n

Thanks for taking the time to reply and helping me out. All of your suggestions made sense and you definitely had some strong points. lets start off by talking about Metagross although having Rocks would be super nice Metagross is here to check Fairy and Dragon Types, not to set up Rocks. This set can switch in on any move Specs Sylveon wants to go for and 100% kill with Meteor Mash. As for Dragons the only one that threatens Metagross is Haxorus and its shut down by Bloastoise Whimsicott and Metagross if it's not running Earthquake. Even with a Yache berry Whimsicott is still taking nearly half from a Icicle Crash the reason I have Cotton Guard is because I will always get it up first and it halves damage from any Physical move for example Whimsicott is already an amazing Krookadile answer but given a plus 2 boost to defense banded Krookadile cannot do over 30% with any of it's moves. Lastly Infernape does need Thunder Punch which is why I got rid of Mach Punch you were completley right about Gyrados. The only reason I had it on there is so I could get chip damage on faster threats such as Mega Aerdactyl and Scarfed Krookadile. Again thanks for your help.

Donphantastic

I'm Donny P. (W)
is a Tiering Contributor
Hey man! Cool looking team you have there, and because its similar to a few of my builds I have decided to make it my first try at team rating.

• 1st off, like Shiba suggested maxing out speed on kyurem is something you should def do, 95 speed is something I could see you not finding the need to max out but speed ties are better than guaranteed losing especially when your own ice beam switch ins are infernape and mega stoise.
  • Next I would actually recommend going tailwind > Cottonguard and U-turn > Encore on whimsicott. This is because you have an insanely strong wallbreaking core in Mega blastoise + Kyurem, and both of those mons are capable of 6-0ing entire teams (common Celebi/Aero/Krook cores come to mind) if given tailwind support.
  • Finally I think you should change metagross' set to offensive Stealth Rock, This will give your team access to entry hazards, as well as another possible breaker under whim's tailwind and an Aerodactyl check.

Whimsicott @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Tailwind

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)