ORAS OU PEAKED 2000 rank 9, The end of an era (OU Baton Pass Stall)

Proof of peak:
rank.png

And with this, this team is now retired. That's as far as I'll get. Feel free to copy it and use it (improve it if you can).

XY is ending in a few days to weeks, so I figure I might as well try to kick the metagame in the nuts one last time.

This team originated as njnp's fun Baton Pass team (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/the-banned-chronicles-part-1-bp-has-to-go.3574608/). While solid on its own, I felt that njnp's team was too fair and gave the opponent too many chances. So, I decided to warp it into something more reliable to use and more infuriating to face.

THE TEAM

Scolipede @ Leftovers
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
EVs: 112 HP / 148 Atk / 248 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Megahorn
- Poison Jab

Scolipede is, well, the Baton Passer. Duh. EVs are fairly straight forward, you max out speed to do things like outspeed Lati@s and pick them off with Megahorn, pick off weakened Keldeo's, weakened Tyranitars and so on. Come in, try to predict whether the opponent is going to attack of switch, and use Substitute or Protect accordingly. Leftovers lets you pull off more Substitutes or Protects.

Poison Jab does solid damage to Clefable (especially those Unaware ones), KOs M-Gardevoir and does big damage to Sylveon. Use it instead. Also makes handling Torn-T easier, since you'll do a solid 30-40%.

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

The quick-drawer of the bunch, M-Heracross is the Pokemon you want to pass to if the opponent has an offensive team, and somehow managed to give you a free Sub with Scolipede. Or, like it happens a lot, if they decided to go to Landorus-Therian (worse if it's a defensive one) against your Scolipede. Come in, and decide if you can risk the Swords Dance, and kill stuff. Pretty simple. EVs are to maximize power so that +2 Rock Blast has a solid chance of KOing Magic Guard Clefable, Speed is there to outspeed Latios at +1 (meaning you need +2 for Tornadus-Therian, Starmie, and other stuff, and +3 for Scarf Latios and Excadrill)

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power
- Morning Sun

Espeon sets up, and eats your stall team. That's about it. It's here to prevent things like Whirlwind Skarmory from beating you too badly. Espeon's Speed investment lets you outspeed Weavile at +1, so you really only need +1 Speed to beat those absurd Weavile stalls. But of course, more speed boosts gives you more power with Stored Power, so you want as many as you can safely get. Make sure to keep some HP on Scolipede to try to pass again if this sweep fails though.

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento
- Stealth Rock
Sets up Stealth Rock when it can. Traps Tyranitar and M-Lop after mega evolving, as well as Heatran. Finally (AND THIS IS YOUR #1 PRIORITY) it uses Memento to kill itself and grant Scolipede free set-up. IVs are there to make sure you go down to Sash and are able to survive 2 Seis - oh, who am I kidding. I copy and pasted the set from the Smogon analysis. Go read that instead.

Usage note: Memento will fail against Substitutes. So if you see something like Gyarados, who can DD on your Stealth Rock, then Sub in your face, DO NOT LEAD WITH THIS.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 176 Atk / 8 Def / 24 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roost

Copied from MattL's post in the Underrated sets thread (http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/oras-creative-underrated-sets-v3.3571340/#post-6787285). Hey, if I'm going to make a rage-inducing gimmick team, I have to make sure I win against one other rage-inducing gimmick team at least. 6-0's standard Shedinja stall. The extra speed Scolipede can give you is nice for outspeeding Togekiss.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Substitute
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Modified Vincune. Substitute + Protect let you PP stall a lot of low PP moves, Calm Mind lets you stall things like Giga Drain and Rotom-W's Volt Switch after 1 CM. The EVs are specifically designed to:

1) Outspeed Scarf Latios at +3, so you can sub in its face when it tries to Trick a Scarf onto you
2) Stall out Chansey since its Seismic Toss will take 2 hits to break your Sub
3) Stall out 0 SAtk Clefable, since its Moonblasts will take 2 hits to break your Sub.
Rest of the EVs are dumped into Defense to make sure you survive a bit better. This is going to be your win condition in 80% of matches.

THREAT LIST:

Bird Spam: You cannot win. Period. I've pulled off maybe 4 wins total vs Bird Spam, and that's cause they were playing terribly. Click X. Win the next 3 matches to make up for the loss. Ladder yourself past the 1700 range, and Bird Spam usage should go down.

Whirlwind Skarmory + Unaware Clef: Play like a god. Honestly, that's the only way to win. The only advantage you have vs Whirlwind Skarm + Unaware Clef is that you'll have a ton more experience facing them than they will have facing BP (unless this gets popular).

Belly Drum Azumarill: Smack it and hope for a kill. Or try to burn with Suicune. Not much you can do.

Final Advice:

Never let yourself become predictable. If every move you do is Substitute, then Protect, you will lose because the opponent will catch on and set up.

Hatred is your fuel. People will hate you. People will harass you. Never debase yourself to the point of retaliating. Baton Pass is the sword that will cleanse this stale metagame, and its wielders must be at peace.

Hax will happen. You are often playing a game where your opponent's only route to victory is to crit or paralyze or burn. At those points, realize that you are no longer playing a human opponent, but are playing against the RNG. Accept your fate no matter where it comes from.

Don't give up. This team will force you to play against everything you've learned. No more risky plays or prediction. You will lose, you will make dumb plays, and you will achieve enlightenment beyond loss.

Honorable mentions:

dEnIsSsS - The only true legend of this entire generation. Aldaron left his mark on Smogon history with the Swift Swim + Drizzle Ban, dEnIsSsS left his by forcing the Baton Pass clause into existence. If you have time, go to his page and pay your respects.

IMPORTABLE
Scolipede @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Poison Jab

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast

Espeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Dazzling Gleam
- Stored Power
- Morning Sun

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
IVs: 21 HP / 0 Def / 0 SpD
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Memento
- Stealth Rock

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Roost

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 32 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Substitute
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

Last edited:
Hi.

No need for any introduction cus I know you and you know me.

Here are my suggestions:

Poison Jab > Megahorn; consider 148 EVs in Attack to ensure the kill on Garde
Garde is really scary for BP in general, being able to demolish your team if Duggy gets removed. Poison Jab gives you a way of getting rid of Garde early, especially if they think you are the Attract set. Megahorn doesn't give extremely valuable coverage anyway. However, to ensure the OHKO on Garde, you need 148 EVs in Attack so consider 112 HP / 148 Atk / 248 Spe with a Jolly nature instead (112 HP for a Lefties number; you have Speed Boost so the Speed isn't super important anyway).

Wing Attack / Acrobatics > Rock Slide
I don't think Rock Slide is really important, not hitting much in general, though it does form an EdgeQuake combination that strictly speaking has perfect neutral coverage. However, Ground+Flying also gives you perfect neutral coverage (except Rotom and Skarmory) with the added plus of STAB and more PP. I would suggest Wing Attack but you might like Acrobatics as this is a common Knock Off switch-in, giving you a stronger Flying STAB.

Here are the sets:
Scolipede @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Poison Jab

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Wing Attack / Acrobatics
- Roost

Good luck on hitting the 2000s! n_n

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, nice team!

This reminds me of a BP stall team I spammed during OLT, it had Amnesia + Iron Defense Mew that passes them to Stored Power Espeon. It was powerful, but too vulnerable to crits (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-436832224, http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-438071325)

Anyways, I have a few changes that might make your team better...

Attract > Megahorn, Black Sludge > Leftovers

Attract gives you easier set-up. It is disgusting as hell but you are using a disgusting strategy anyways ;). I suggest you to have a more defensive spread. Attract with a defensive spread gives Scolipede many set-up opportunities against Landorus-Ts. If you use Attract, make sure Scolipede is female. The speed difference doesn't really matter because you are gonna protect anyways.

36 Speed EVs
Those EVs don't really make a huge difference on the defensive side but allows you to outspeed Stallbreaker Togekiss and potentialy beating it 1v1 without worrying about flinches.

Scolipede (F) @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Protect
- Attract
- Substitute
- Baton Pass

Espeon @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Stored Power
- Morning Sun
- Dazzling Gleam

Good luck with the team and have a nice day!

Hi.

No need for any introduction cus I know you and you know me.

Here are my suggestions:

Poison Jab > Megahorn; consider 148 EVs in Attack to ensure the kill on Garde
Garde is really scary for BP in general, being able to demolish your team if Duggy gets removed. Poison Jab gives you a way of getting rid of Garde early, especially if they think you are the Attract set. Megahorn doesn't give extremely valuable coverage anyway. However, to ensure the OHKO on Garde, you need 148 EVs in Attack so consider 112 HP / 148 Atk / 248 Spe with a Jolly nature instead (112 HP for a Lefties number; you have Speed Boost so the Speed isn't super important anyway).

Wing Attack / Acrobatics > Rock Slide
I don't think Rock Slide is really important, not hitting much in general, though it does form an EdgeQuake combination that strictly speaking has perfect neutral coverage. However, Ground+Flying also gives you perfect neutral coverage (except Rotom and Skarmory) with the added plus of STAB and more PP. I would suggest Wing Attack but you might like Acrobatics as this is a common Knock Off switch-in, giving you a stronger Flying STAB.

Here are the sets:
Scolipede @ Leftovers
Jolly Nature
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Substitute
- Poison Jab

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Wing Attack / Acrobatics
- Roost

Good luck on hitting the 2000s! n_n
I agree with Tinberz. Poison Jab on Scoli also helps v. Azu.

Kyurem-B > Mega Heracross

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Iron Head

This may cause more harm than good, but you could possibly try Kyurem-B instead of Mega Hera. The Wallbreaker Smogon Analysis set covers your team's fallouts on paper pretty well. From my experience, it's great at causing switches and has interesting coverage that seems to work well w/ your team.
  • If you can get it in at the same turn as Talonflame, you're guaranteed the 1HKO and can tank a BB from the SD set with ~40% left. In my experience, people tend to predict vs this guy really poorly, and you're often able to get opposing Talonflames down without much thought or intent.
  • Def and SpD Skarmorys are both dealt with by Ice Beam and Fusion Bolt, respectively. They both ensure 2HKOs. Deals with your Skarm problem.
  • Unaware Clef switches in as a wall on the frequent. Just Iron Head; it's a 2HKO. Get it on the switch when possible.
  • Azu won't set up against Kyu in fear of Fusion Bolt, which always 1HKOs after SR.
You'll also be carrying a 1HKO move for Landorus, along with all the other crucial Pokés you mentioned in Heracross' summary. The only fallout I see is the increased pressure from opposing Latios. Still, you may want to try this one out. Lmk how it works if you do.

4) Bumping

You may only bump your RMT once. Replying to raters is acceptable, but simply posting for the purpose of bumping should only be done once. If you break that rule, your post will be deleted and you could receive an infraction.

First and last bump, I swear.

Really cool team I like it. But, there is one thing I would change on mega-hera I would run substitute over swords dance since it has a absurd attack stat with adamant nature.
Here's the set I would use In my Opinion.

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 240 HP / 136 Atk / 132 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)