ORAS LC Phear the Phish- LC, Peaked #6

Phear the Phish
Note: If anyone saw the original of this RMT and didn't see the message I put up in between this and the old one, it might look a bit different. This is because my computer decided to delete half of it for no reason, because my computer is a fuckwit. Oh well.

Hello! this is my first RMT on smogon, built around the powerhouse combo of Corphish and Gothita. Nukes and Trappers are my favourite types of Pokemon in Competitive play, and this core has both. This team has carried me through most of the ladder, and has proven to be really solid, particuarly against more defensive, bulky teams.

Corphish and Gothita is the core that this team is built around. Corphish hits insanely hard with Adaptabillity Crabhammer, as well as Aqua jet. Gothita complements it nicely, dealing with Chinchou, Staryu, and Ferroseed (hp fire.) It also traps the Fighting Types that sweep the rest of my team so easily.

Porygon is one of the best pokemon in Little Cup, and ParaStall is the worst thing since the Bubonic Plague. It also like Fighting Types being removed by Gothita, so that's nice. Plus I needed a fletchling counter and a way of luring fighting types to double into Gothita :]

At this point the team is walled by Ferroseed and destroyed by Pawniard, so I added Mienfoo to deal with these mons. I also wanted some sort of U-turner or Volt Switcher, and Mienfoo is just so splashable it's ridiculous.

At this point I needed the bane of my existence, so I added Ferroseed and Drilbur to provide hazard support. Ferroseed is a hugely important member of the team, proving so many checks and counters that it's ridiculous. Drilbur is also my only real way of even slightly beating Sucker Punch Croagunk. The Ferroseed was originally a Pawniard, but I decided to change it because of my weakness to strong water moves- LO ThunderBolt/HydroPump Staryu just won before

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the most important part, the sets (I don't have gifs or anything because I can't be bothered shrinking them a second time.

Crayfishhammer (Corphish) (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Adaptability
Level: 5
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 12 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off

Corphish is the basis for this team: after one Dragon Dance, Crabhammer just claims every life, tearing apart teams with ease. Aqua Jet is great for revenging things like Archen and Drilbur with ease. Knock is great for hitting resists like Chinchou and Staryu on the switch, allowing for Crabhammer to 2HKO later. It also generally helps out with Weakening things.

TooStrongForOU (Gothita) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball
- Trick

This Gothita set compliments Corphish nicely, getting rid of Staryu, Chinchou, Ferroseed, and even Sash Abra (can't really kill, but it can break the sash easily enough.) It's also really my best defence against the bulkier Fairy's like Spritzee. Unfortunately with hp fire it can't run the defence EV's needed to like a Fletchling Acrobatics, which is a pity, but that's unreliable anyway. I love trapping :)

SilverScreen (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave

Porygon is broken af and Paraspam needs to be banned. (me every time I play against this monster.) Trace Porygon is a great check to Chinchou, and Tracing Speed Boost or Prankster makes this one of the scariest things in LC. Thunderbolt is to hit Fletchling and get the OHKO after rocks (or without rocks for mix fletch), and psychic is a general spam move (should I replace with tri attack?), mainly to hit the fighting types that switch in.

Gen1Tauros (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Poison Jab

Mienfoo is this teams Pawniard Counter and general pivot, usually coming in after Gothita kills something with Psychic. Poison Jab is a weird choice that is mainly for Cottonee, a Pokemon that basically 6-0's this team without it. Everything else is standard FastFoo.

Fuckin' GM (Ferroseed) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 148 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off

Ferroseed is the pokemon with possible the biggest workload out of any of these mons. It's my main water resist, as well as the best Volt Switch blocker (Chinchou scalds every time when you have a Drilbur on your team), my Stealth Rocker, and a third knock off user, because it's the best move in the game. This thing is maybe the second most important thing on the team, and always puts in work.

Tough Claws? (Drilbur) (M) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 76 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Rock Tomb

Rounding off the team is Discount Sandshrew, providing vital Rapid Spin support. It's also my only defence against Sucker Punch Croagunk. I really like SD Drilbur, it really catches a lot of teams of-guard and slams things like Ferro. Rock Tomb>Rock Slide every time, the speed drop is great, though the 50% miss rate kinda puts a damper on it for me.

Snivy: My best way of beating HP Fire Snivy is to either trick a Scarf onto it with Gothita and then go Ferro, or win speed ties for days with Mienfoo.
Vullaby: Vullaby puts a lot of pressure on this team with it's ridiculous bulk and general power.
Scraggy: HJK DD Moxie Scraggy basically 6-0's this team if it comes in on the right mon (usually Gothita after it Psychics something to death.
Other? I probably forgot something, I normally do.

I know this is meant to be in a Hide tag, but my computer is a shit, and it keeps making like 50 hide tags for no reason.

Crayfishhammer (Corphish) (F) @ Eviolite

Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 12 HP / 196 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Crabhammer
- Knock Off

TooStrongForOU (Gothita) (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Psychic
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Energy Ball
- Trick

SilverScreen (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 236 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Thunder Wave

Gen1Tauros (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Poison Jab

Fuckin' GM (Ferroseed) (M) @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 148 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off

Tough Claws? (Drilbur) (M) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 36 HP / 76 Atk / 36 Def / 76 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Swords Dance
- Rock Tomb

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Firstly, you need to adjust Gothita's EVs to 240 SpA / 240 Spe as right not you have a 19 speed scarfer missing another point in Special Attack because of HP Fire.

High Jump Kick > Drain Punch Mienfoo allows for Mienfoo to dent Fighting-types, very notably Croagunk. This can prevent Scraggy from clean sweeping you since you can OHKO it back, and also allows for Mienfoo to greatly pressure Vullaby if Stealth Rocks are up. Mienfoo also becomes more useful late game and can, for example, retaliate back against Drilbur.

There isn't too much else that your team can do, as it needs Porygon or Chinchou or Munchlax to beat Drifloon, Drilbur or Archen for Croagunk, Ferroseed for hazards and checking waters. The team itself needs some decent modification if you want to better your matchup against many teams, though if you get a Dragon Dance up and have trapped their water resist Corphish will probably sweep Hyper Offense, and the team can outmuscle most variants of balance. The issue lies more in teams that are composed of multiple powerful 18 speed or more attackers ie Abra or Scarf Pawniard + Gastly / Scraggy (if it gets a DD up anyway) + Aipom. Unfortunately, Gothita provides too many free turns for your team to be much better than it is without lots of rebuilding.

Cheers!

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
While Fiend is right in that the team does have its negative matchups as every team does, I don't think they're all that overwhelming. The team has the bulk and double checks needed to switch into things that force Gothita out, or sack something when necessary. Hyper offense is troublesome when you only have one priority move and your win condition is relatively slow; it looks like your team is strongly geared towards stomping bulky offense. This can be changed by replacing any of your Pokemon with something faster or stronger, for example Scarfing Drilbur or switching Ferroseed to LO Pawniard (LO Staryu is revenge killed by Gothita so it shouldn't be too bad), but if having a great matchup against bulky offense is your goal, then that's totally fine as well (it's not like HO is unwinnable). With that being said, Fighting spam looks like it could be a little tough to deal with, but a couple of minor tweaks could help to make it more bearable.

You seem a bit reliant on Gothita for frailer Fighting-types, as well as to actually get the KOs you need so that Corphish can sweep, but the only means you have to get it in right now are Mienfoo's fast U-turn and revenge kills. This can be improved on by changing Mienfoo's EV spread to the slower 156 HP / 116 Def / 196 SpD with a careful nature. The lowered Speed is especially helpful to let Mienfoo pivot into Gothita against opposing Mienfoo. It will make Pawniard a bit more annoying, but you already have plenty of means to wear it down. If it comes down to it, you can run HP Fighting over Bullet Seed on Ferroseed, since most of Bullet Seed's targets tend to switch out and Thunder Wave/Knock Off is more immediately crippling to switchins, but this probably won't be needed. Slow Mienfoo also gives you a sturdier check to Scraggy and opposing Porygon.

I do not recommend replacing Psychic on Porygon, as this would give Fighting-types more opportunities to switch in. Instead, changing its EV spread to 156 HP / 196 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe will let it outspeed Timburr to more easily find the opportunity to 2HKO it, while still healing 13 HP with Recover and generally surviving the same KOs.

That's all I have to offer. Best of luck!

Thanks for the advice Levi/Fiend!

The Gothita EV's were a mistake because I was randomly testing out Shadow Ball right before writing this, they're fixed now.

I'll change the Porygon EV's right away, but I think I'll test out the Foo set- Pawniard is a scary mon to face with this team unless I outspeed with Foo. The U-turn against other Foo's is pretty important I think, since I often have to play carefully to let GOth get in safely, so I will certainly try it out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)