Physical/Special Split, Who Benefited, Who Didn't?

As we all know, the physical and special movepools of all pokemon have been split based on moves. While this is great for many, there are a few stragglers that were hurt by this. So, who will benefit and who will hurt?

~Benefit~
Tyranitar for sure with physical Crunch and stone edge adding to that dd it gets.

Salamence with physical Dragon Claws.

Gyrados with physical Crunch and Waterfall and new Ice Fang.

Gengar with Special Shadow Balls and Sludge Bombs.

~Hurt~

Weezing - Most moves are special now.

That's all I can think of for now, help me where I left off 8)

Alakazam lost his elemental punches. All physical attackers such as Gyarados who needed a stab physical HP lost a bit.

Weezing didn't take THAT big of a hit. His base special attack is only 5 points lower (I believe), so running Sludge Bomb off your Special Attack hardly affects him much.

Now, if you're talking about his potential as a physical wall, then you might have a point.

Sceptile loses TPunch and it's signature move, Leaf Blade. And it gets stuff like Shadow Claw and Stone Edge (I think) on it's weaker physical side.

Typhlo lost T-Punch, too. :(

Sceptile loses TPunch and it's signature move, Leaf Blade. And it gets stuff like Shadow Claw and Stone Edge (I think) on it's weaker physical side.

Sceptile's Leaf Blade lost it's signature...ness since Leafeon now learns it as well.

Typhlo can always opt for Hidden power but breeding takes a while and T-Punch was good.

Weezing didn't take THAT big of a hit. His base special attack is only 5 points lower (I believe), so running Sludge Bomb off your Special Attack hardly affects him much.

Now, if you're talking about his potential as a physical wall, then you might have a point.
I think Weezing gained if anything. It means he can run TBolt and Flamethrower off of the same attack stat as his STAB.

As for Pokemon who gained, off the top of my head, Sharpedo got the hugest boost. Physical Water, Ice and Dark moves is a huge positive step for it. The Bug/Flying guys got some Special STAB now as well.

Pokemon who lost though. Physical Normal/Flying pokes lost Hidden Power, so now they can't touch Steel types (and need Steel Wing for Rock types). Dodrio, Pidgeot and Fearow mainly (since Staraptor got Close Combat). Flareon for similar reasons, no more physical Shadow Ball and Hidden Power (in exchange for Fire Fang).

Lol Flareon. The most neglected of them all. A few Poison types lost Sludge Bomb like Muk, Nidoking, Victorybell, Tentacruel, etc, etc.

It's pretty much a given that Flareon is the winner in the losers category. Banette would be another choice hurt by the split. It's only real use last generation was having a stabbed 115 attack shadow ball. With the switch, it's lost usefullness. Sucker Punch has no stab, and while Shadow claw is physical and 70 bp, 70 isn't 80 like shadow ball is.

Kingler and Feraligatr gained physical stab moves(Gyarados as well), while physical psychics (Metagross and Medicham) gained elemental punches.

Leaf Blades base power was increased, so even with Sceptile's lower atk, it does more damage than before.

Not only that, but Sceptile has Sword's Dance to play around with, making Leaf Blade's physical delineation more desirable if you ask me.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
Regice was sorta nerfed by physical Fire moves, because that meant that Fire types can attain their mixed attacking potential and consequently become more frequently used.

Zam doesn't need the punches. He got Shadow Ball / Energy Ball / Focus Blast, which are all definitely better than the punches

Sneasel+Weavile saw appreciation, as did Dragonite and Feraligatr.

the big winners is just about every dark type with 99% of the moves being physcial now most of dark types can now use their attack stat the few that needed special crunch in advance now have dark pulse which is a descent replacement since its the same BP has crunch

Hitmonchan, definitely, before there was no point in using it for its low spec. att, now since the elemental punches are physical, and its new ability, iron fist, it isn't that sad anymore.

Rapidash benefited as did any fire-physical attackers with Flare Blitz.

I like the physical/special split, it makes more sense and lots of pokemon are usable now, like Absol.

TTar and Gyarados love the Split. TTar loves Physical Crunch and gets stone edge, and gyara gets Physical waterfall, ice fang, Etc.

Gengar benefited and got hurt in that he lost Ice Punch.
But i guess STAB Specials and focus blast sort of compensates (although still not as versatile as an ice attack, he now has to rely on hidden powers).

Tangela (With Tangrowth) REALLY Gained
Tauros, though he lost Physical HP, He gained a Physical Psychic and Dark move, depending on the moveset.
Ninetales got Upped Acc Hypnosis, Scheme, Energy Ball AND Dark Pulse
Noctowl got Special STAB, Upped Acc Hypnosis, Psycho Shift and Roost

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Medicham is badly hurt by losing physical Shadow Ball. Now it's walled like mad by Cresselia

IMO, all Dragons got a boost, now having a Physical STAB that is only resisted by steels
Dark Types with high attack are happy to have Physical Crunch, and special ones dont feel much loss with Dark Pulse
Alakazam Lost and Gained. Losing the elemental punches hurts, but gaining some other new options helps it. Now if only it had gotten Aura Sphere (Zam has been my favortie since gen 1)
Gengar Likes STAB Special Shadow Ball.

That is my general opinion

I think the saddest loss is Banette. If Hypnosis/Nasty Plot didn't exist I would say Crobat too, for losing physical Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb and Hidden Power, but the other two moves simply change his niche.

Banette lost his only good STAB move, and lost HP Fighting too.

IMO, all Dragons got a boost, now having a Physical STAB that is only resisted by steels
Dark Types with high attack are happy to have Physical Crunch, and special ones dont feel much loss with Dark Pulse
Alakazam Lost and Gained. Losing the elemental punches hurts, but gaining some other new options helps it. Now if only it had gotten Aura Sphere (Zam has been my favortie since gen 1)
Gengar Likes STAB Special Shadow Ball.

That is my general opinion
Kingdra didn't benefit. Draco Meteor Helps though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)