Doubles Pinsir

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Overview
########
Mega Pinsir sports fantastic offensive stats.; After Mega Evolving it hits 105 Speed and 155 Attack, giving it the power and speed to tear through unprepared teams. Upon Mega Evolution, it also gains a fantastic ability in Aerilate, which further boosts Mega Pinsir's damage output. Mega Pinsir has access to Feint, a versatile move that, unfortunately, sees low distribution. This helps it support teammates by breaking through Protect and also gives it a useful priority attack. Unfortunately, lackluster defensive stats and a poor defensive typing means that Mega Pinsir is fairly easily picked off by threats that outspeed it. Another problem Mega Pinsir faces is that it falls just short of OHKOs on a huge variety of common threats such as Mega Kangaskhan and Garchomp. This means Mega Pinsir requires chip damage support so it can finish them off. Its mediocre bulk means it can't go for 2HKOes since it will most likely be KOed itself.

Physical Attacker
########
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: Return
move 2: Feint
move 3: Close Combat / Earthquake
move 4: Protect
ability: Hyper Cutter
item: Pinsirite
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Jolly

Moves
========
Aerilate-boosted Return provides the real power for the set. Flying-type attacks provide super effective coverage against common Bug-, Grass-, and Fighting-type Pokemon. This helps make it a solid deterrent to common support Pokemon that rely on Spore and Rage Powder, as well as powerful Fighting-types like Conkeldurr. Feint is a great move that can break through Protect and Wide Guard. This is useful, as by using your partner, you can take down threats that would otherwise have survived behind Protect or Wide Guard. In addition to this, it hits with +2 priority meaning it can be used to pick off weakened threats, even if they're faster. Thanks to Aerilate, Mega Pinsir is the only Pokemon capable of breaking through a Protect from a Ghost-type Pokemon such as Gengar or Chandelure. Close Combat is typically used since it lets Mega Pinsir handle threats such as Tyranitar, Mega Kangaskhan, and Heatran. It also lets Mega Pinsir hit Rotom-W for decent damage. Alternatively, Earthquake can be used in this slot. It helps Mega Pinsir handle Pokemon such as Aegislash which otherwise walls the set completely; however, it will not 2HKO Aegislash without prior damage. It also deals more damage against Heatran. Protect is essential so Pinsir has time to Mega Evolve and gain the boost to its Speed, which is needed to handle threats that lie in the base 100 Speed area like Mega Charizard Y. It also improves longevity.

Set Details
========
The EVs ensure Mega Pinsir can switch into the field with Stealth Rock in play twice, whilst also maximizing its offensive capability. Pinsirite is required for Pinsir to Mega Evolve so that it can the most effective. Given how common Intimidate is, Hyper Cutter is the best ability for Pinsir since it nullifies the its effect as its Attack will not be lowered so long as it has not Mega Evolved. A Jolly nature is preferred to outspeed base 100 Speed Pokemon, but Adamant can be used for the boost in power. An alternative spread of 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe can be used to provide a little extra bulk whilst still outspeeding Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========
Mega Pinsir functions as a powerful attacker that can break down teams with its Aerilate-boosted STAB attacks and powerful coverage options. In addition to this, Mega Pinsir can be used to deter strategies such as Wide Guard and Quick Guard by using Feint. This helps your partner spam powerful spread or priority moves without having to worry about anything blocking them. Pinsir should utilize Protect to Mega Evolve safely so that it has enough Speed to handle certain threats. Its poor defenses means that it's forced to play a hit-and-run role as it cannot afford to stay on the field and take hits.

Team Options
========
Thanks to its immunity to Ground-type moves, Mega Pinsir is a good partner to Pokemon that use Earthquake such as Landorus-T. Mold Breaker Excadrill is a particularly notable user since it can deal with Rotom-W. Pokemon such as Hitmontop can help protect Mega Pinsir from moves such as Terrakion's Rock Slide through the use of Wide Guard. It also provides Fake Out or Quick Guard support to protect Mega Pinsir from Talonflame's Brave Bird. Heatran has good defensive synergy with Mega Pinsir, as it resists many of the types that Mega Pinsir is weak to, such as Ice and Flying. Flash Fire also provides an immunity to any Fire-type attacks aimed at Mega Pinsir. Pokemon that can handle Rotom-W such as Shaymin-S or Venusaur make for good partners. Fire-type Pokemon such as Volcarona and Rotom-H are appreciated to help Mega Pinsir deal with Aegislash. A slow Volt Switch from Pokemon such as Rotom-W can get Mega Pinsir an opportunity to switch in for free and pick off weakened threats. Cresselia is a good partner; Helping Hand helps Mega Pinsir secures OHKOs thanks to the increased damage output whilst Icy Wind helps Mega Pinsir outspeed faster threats such as Terrakion and Shaymin-S.

Other Options
########
Double-Edge provides a more powerful STAB attack at the cost of some recoil. In addition to this, it is incompatible with both Feint and Quick Attack, meaning that Mega Pinsir will be left without a priority move. Facade provides an alternate STAB move that means Mega Pinsir does not have to worry about being afflicted with a burn. X-Scissor provides Mega Pinsir with a secondary STAB move, but it does not provide much useful coverage and barely hits for more damage than a neutral Return, even when it is super effective. Knock Off lets Mega Pinsir deprive opposing Pokemon of recovery items like a Sitrus Berry and other potentially dangerous items such as a Choice Scarf. Swords Dance can be useful to boost its damage output or nullify the effect of a burn or Intimidate, but it is risky as Mega Pinsir struggles to find opportunities to use it.

Checks & Counters
########
**Burns**: Pokemon that commonly carry Will-O-Wisp are an issue for Mega Pinsir. After being burned by threats such as Mega Gengar or Rotom-W, its damage output is severely reduced.

**Offensive Typing Advantage**: Rotom formes can come in on everything Mega Pinsir has to offer and OHKO it with Thunderbolt. Other Electric-type Pokemon such as Thundurus-I and Mega Manectric also have an easy time dealing with Mega Pinsir. Talonflame can use its priority Brave Bird to OHKO Mega Pinsir with ease.

**Speed**: Faster threats can handle Mega Pinsir fairly easily. Pokemon such as Terrakion can outspeed Mega Pinsir and OHKO it with Rock Slide. Common Choice Scarf users such as Genesect and Landorus-T can also handle Mega Pinsir with their super effective coverage moves.

**Speed Control**: Mega Pinsir relies on its Speed to strike first and avoid taking hits. This makes Trick Room, Thunder Wave, Tailwind, and Icy Wind great options for dealing with it. Pokemon such as Cresselia, Togekiss, and Thundurus can all take a hit from Pinsir and set up some form of speed control to handle it with ease.

Last edited:
why you don't use the ability moxie? you can kill a pokemon and then your attack grows and finally you can mega evolve :0

Hyper Cutter is the preferred ability to guard Pinsir against Intimidate prior to Mega Evolution.
Moxie isn't optimal because you'd have to postpone mega evolving to try and
achieve KOs with unSTABbed normal and ground-type moves. That's going to be a far cry from easy
as those moves won't hit nearly as hard and your opponent will likely do anything they can
to remove the threat of your Mega Pinsir asap.

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hyper Cutter is generally more useful because the amount of times people try to send in an Intimidator to stop you is much more frequent than the amount of times you'll be able tp get and use the Moxie boost. In fact, I even find Mold Breaker more useful than Moxie; at least with it you can peg Rotom-W.

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I have a few problems. First, you said Pinsir has lackluster defensive stats; I strongly disagree. While base 65 HP is not exactly great, base 120 defense is excellent and base 90 special defense is decent. With Defog/Rapid Spin support, Pinsir is more than capable of tanking a hit.

I also have a number of issues with the set. First, there is absolutely no reason to give Pinsir Protect. You should be able to time your switches properly so it can mega evolve before it face Charizard (your example). By running protect, you lose essential coverage options. I also do not like Feint; it is a gimmick. Simply put, it is far too weak (even with Aerialite). You should use Quick Attack. Close Combat can be slashed in, but I believe Earthquake is far superior as it lets you hit Aegislash (and you will not make contact) and OHKO Heatran. Also, the Defense drop leave Pinsir vulnerable to revenge kills. Finally, I don't understand why you aren't running Swords Dance. SD gives Pinsir the ability to OHKO a significant chunk of the metagame. Pair with Quick Attack, it also lets Pinsir shut down many revenge killers. While I appreciate the effort, I do not think this set should be listed for Pinsir.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Got kinda lazy with this one so I'm sure there's a fair bit I missed, also someone should show me Reverbs original message =]

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a few suggestions, this is pretty good already:

Set:
~Mention how Return is the strongest unboosted Flying-type move common in Doubles (heck it is one of the most powerful moves in Doubles in general) and is totally spammable because it has 0 drawbacks.
~Add Mold Breaker as a secondary ability (fuck Rotom-W)

Team Options:
~Wide Guard support is pretty cool (you mentioned it but imo it should be stressed) because most of MPinsir's weaknesses are most commonly found in the form of spread (Heat Wave, Rock Slide, Discharge, Icy Wind)
~Rock-types (Tyranitar, Terrakion, Pokemon with that type coverage) are great because most of MPinsir's counters are Flying-type
~Thus Ice-types and Ice-type coverage are also useful (Kyu-B is a decent partner)

Other Options:
~Rock Slide / Stone Edge to hit Mega Char Y / Talonflame (on the switch) / other Flying-types
~Swords Dance / Bulk Up setup make Mega Pinsir a very powerful cleanup sweeper with both spread and fairly powerful priority. It needs a bit of support however (Follow Me / Rage Powder works best, Wide Guard also works)

Nice job as usual TOTEM :)

I wouldn't call SR irrelevant... Just rare. But common enough to the point where you don't want to add 4 HP EVs.

Also why are you calling Mega Pinsir's bulk lackluster? 65/120/95 is pretty good for an offensive 'mon. It's really the typing that does it in.

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
I wouldn't call SR irrelevant... Just rare. But common enough to the point where you don't want to add 4 HP EVs.

Also why are you calling Mega Pinsir's bulk lackluster? 65/120/95 is pretty good for an offensive 'mon. It's really the typing that does it in.
The stats themselves aren't the whole problem, it' a typing riddled with weakness to common offensive types. Also 65HP really is kinda ass.

Why are you mentioning SR? Its irrelevant in doubles play.
They're relevant enough to warrant moving 4EVs out of HP into Defense which well make pretty much 0 difference to surviving hits.
Basically switching into SR twice is worth more than having an irrelevant 4EVs in HP, even if it won't matter in most games.

Overview:
  • No recovery :(
Moves:
  • Add that Mega Pinsir's Feint is the only Feint that can hit through Aegislash's Wide Guard, which is cool :>
Team Options:
  • Partners to compliment its coverage: Stuff to beat Aegi if it runs CC, stuff to beat Rotom-W if it runs EQ etc.
  • Bisharp so Intimidaters dont wanna switch in.
Other Options:
  • Swords Dance or Sub to beat WoW.
  • Megahorn for STAB #2
Checks and Counters:
  • Repeat what counters it depending on what coverage Pinsir is missing.
lol I am really fishing for stuff good work totem QC 1/3

BLOOD TOTEM

braine damaged
Implemented everything but the no recovery point since I don't think it's that important to Pinsir, if any QC echo your thoughts about it I'll implement it but it seems kinda pointless to me.

ty for the check, good to see my writing is improving a little =]

EDIT @ bellow: I forgot this too, brainfart moment. is corrected now

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Moves:
  • Add that Mega Pinsir's Feint is the only Feint that can hit through Aegislash's Wide Guard, which is cool :>
except you know
all of the feints directed at aegis's partner
still only pinsir's feint can break ghost protects (FUK GENGAR)

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
It is however the only Feint that can go through its King's Shield...

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
except you know
all of the feints directed at aegis's partner
still only pinsir's feint can break ghost protects (FUK GENGAR)
If Feint is used on Aegislash as it uses Wide Guard, its ally can also be hit by spread moves.

I would AC an EV spread of 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe for those who do not care about speed-tieing opposing Mega Pinsir, as Mega Pinsir is uncommon. With this spread, you still outspeed Garchomp

The HP EVs are not useless either:

252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 248-296 (91.1 - 108.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Landorus-T Rock Slide vs. 24 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 248-296 (89.5 - 106.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Whilst it's still a big gamble, this is a very common attack, and it's useful if you have to take the hit. Also don't mention moving the HP EVs into Def; due to it's pathetic HP stat, it gets more physical bulk with the EVs in HP.

Regarding OO:
-remove Megahorn. Mega Pinsir cannot learn it
-Mention X-scissor, but also mention that due to the boost from Aerilate, a super-effective X-scissor does not deal much more damage than Aerilate.
-add Quick Attack. Useful as an option over Feint as it hits harder, but doesn't remove Protect and has less priority

• Close Combat can be used in this slot for a more solid answer to Tyranitar whilst still doing good damage to Heatran. It also hits other threats such as Mega Kangaskhan for more damage than and gives Pinsir a way to deal decent damage to Rotom-W.
The main reason to use Close Combat over EQ is that it does not hit Pinsir's ally, which is a big issue without EQ immune allies. This must be mentioned.

You can also add that CC is a more solid answer to Bisharp, who is important.

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
CZECH
overview
  • pinsirs problem isnt intimidate so much (esp since hyper cutter), it's that all of its attacks come just short of a ko on their targets lol. seriously some calcs: 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 298-352 (84.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 259-306 (72.3 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gyarados: 278-328 (83.7 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 298-352 (76 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery etc
  • and of course he cant really ever go for a 2hko because everything can kill him back if it lives
set
  • close combat in front of eq because eq is even much weaker
  • i dont know if id even mention that other ev spread but its up to you
  • in usage tips, talk about how its frailty makes it have to play hit-and-run: come in on something that it can ko, ko it, get the fuck out, repeat
  • volt-turn strats are good partners since the mobility allows u to bring pinsir in (think lagas team)
oo
  • mold breaker + eq doesnt even 2hko rotomw, just scrap that
c&c:
  • scarftar? u fuck
  • electric types ALL pooperino on it
  • aegis actually wins no matter what lol, pinsir cant do dick to it, eq isnt a 2hko in shield forme and it gets wide guard also. so does rotom-w which isnt 2hkoed by close combat
  • basically anything faster can stomach a feint and donk it

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
adding to what Pwnemon said

CZECH
overview
  • pinsirs problem isnt intimidate so much (esp since hyper cutter), it's that all of its attacks come just short of a ko on their targets lol. seriously some calcs: 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Kangaskhan: 298-352 (84.6 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 259-306 (72.3 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gyarados: 278-328 (83.7 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Close Combat vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Kyurem-B: 298-352 (76 - 89.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery etc
  • and of course he cant really ever go for a 2hko because everything can kill him back if it lives
For this reason, Helping Hand support should be mentioned in Team Options. It turns many 2HKOs to OHKOs. Cresselia can work, as it checks Terrakion, Landorus-T, and Shaymin-S for Mega Pinsir through STAB and Ice Beam or Icy Wind respectively. Icy Wind is also useful for slowing down Scarf users who would otherwise pose a large threat to Mega Pinsir like the aforementioned Landorus-T and Excadrill. Scarf Ttar too if you're willing to risk a Crunch, but I wouldn't mention it. Cresselia is also immune to Pinsir's EQ.

set
  • close combat in front of eq because eq is even much weaker
  • i dont know if id even mention that other ev spread but its up to you
  • in usage tips, talk about how its frailty makes it have to play hit-and-run: come in on something that it can ko, ko it, get the fuck out, repeat
  • volt-turn strats are good partners since the mobility allows u to bring pinsir in (think lagas team)

oo
  • mold breaker + eq doesnt even 2hko rotomw, just scrap that
Also adding that Mold Breaker reveals itself, so no Rotom-W should be taken surprise by the move

Darkmalice

Level 3
When mentioning EQ for Aegislash, you should mention that it sadly does not 2HKO Aegislash, where as Aegislash 2HKOes Mega Pinsir in return

252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield: 132-156 (40.7 - 48.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery. Dam spread move power reduction

Given how common Intimidate is, Hyper Cutter is typically the best ability for Pinsir since it reduces the effect of it as its attack will not be lowered so long as it has not Mega Evolved
Remove "typically." It is the best ability. The other abilities aren't even worthy of OO

The EVs ensure Pinsir can switch into the field with Stealth Rock in play as many times a possible whilst also maximizing its offensive capability.
replace in play as many times as possible with twice - it's more specific and concise.

I would AC mention 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe in case speed tieing with other Mega Pinsir is of no concern to the user, though the extra HP EVs do not avoid any notable 2HKOes or OHKOes. I understand this was ignored before, so let me know if you disagree with this.

For those with Close Combat, Fire-type Pokemon such as Rotom-H or Volcarona make good partners since they can handle Aegislash. For those that chose Earthquake, Grass-type Pokemon such as Venusaur or Shaymin-S are good partners to deal with Rotom-W. A slow Volt Switch from Pokemon such as Rotom-W can get Pinsir the opportunity for Pinsir to switch in for free to pick off weakened threats.
This is sorta misleading since even with CC and EQ, Mega Pinsir still loses to Aegislash and Rotom-W, as neither are 2HKOed (Rotom-W needs a Sitrus to guarantee the 3HKO). I would mention they are good partners regardless of your move choice.

Your counters section is missing some of the info in your skeleton, which are good counters. They are:

• TR
  • Talonburd
  • Aegislash / Rotom-W (depending on coverage choice)
  • ScarfTar
Pinsir relies on its Speed to strike first and avoid taking hits. This makes Trick Room, Thunder Wave, and Icy Wind great options for dealing with it
Add specific Pokemon that can take a hit from Mega Pinsir are good at setting up these moves, like the aforementioned Thundurus-I, Cresselia, and Togekiss.

Once all this is done I can give you your 3rd QC check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)