Pokemon Black & White, aka Gen 5. Coming to Japan in Fall 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I'm not good at naming things...
You're right, I don't like any of those except plachilla, no offense.

If I were to try it'd be like...

Tsutaja: Boarbor (Boa + Arbor)
Pokabu: Swire (Swine + Fire) [The last form should be named BOARUPTION]
Mijimaru: Wotter (Otter + ...Water)
Chiramii: Chinchild (Chinchilla + Child)
Munna: Pachidream (Pachiderm + Dream)
Gear: Gear
Mamepato: Pudgeon (Pudgy + Pidgeon)
Hihidaruma: Darumonkey (Daruma + Monkey)
Shimama: Zebrawatt (Zebra + Watt obviously, pretty lame but I think it sounds just fine)
Meguroko: Crookodile (Crook + Crocodile, I mean, it looks like a thief to me)

Zoroark's english name is practically confirmed to be Zoroark in both the US and Japan, so I'm guessing the same holds true for Zorua, Reshiram and Zekrom.

According to a fellow who just PM'ed me;

"the ability chikarazuku does not allow you to have repeating moves (or something like that idk pokemon) but the dmage to the power increases" - one of best friends who is Japanese. Kinda new here and can't post this.
That could be interesting, given the right movepool. Something like Double-Hit, Rock Blast, accounting for all the power in one hit, effectively giving the moves pretty good base power.

I'm sure the pink elephant thing is a drowzee pre-evo. Same typing and look, plus its species name (the Dream Eater pokemon) is the same as hypno's "signature move".

Unless it has poor special defense, and terrible speed.

Rotom-W used Hydro Pump!

You just know Gamefreak will find a way to ruin a Pokemon with a potentially amazing ability.
You're too pessimistic.
And only one appliance can use Hydro Pump (or Blizzard).

I'm sure the pink elephant thing is a drowzee pre-evo. Same typing and look, plus its species name (the Dream Eater pokemon) is the same as hypno's "signature move".
I think it might have a similar concept as Drowzee, but I seriously doubt it's a prevo. I think this thing is absolutely adorable. It's my favorite one I've seen so far!! I'm actually liking all of them!

Yeah but ground still gets hit SE by blizzard and leaf storm, not that blizzard would ever be used.

As for encourage, if what evilmario said is true, then I'm suddenly very interested in this guy, but hopefully he gets a good movepool or he's doomed. (That and good dual-stabs that he can alternate between, but I don't want ANOTHER fire/fighting <___<)

According to a fellow who just PM'ed me;

That could be interesting, given the right movepool. Something like Double-Hit, Rock Blast, accounting for all the power in one hit, effectively giving the moves pretty good base power.
sounds like auto choice band. Combined with regular choice band or scarf and it could be deadly O_OO

I think it might have a similar concept as Drowzee, but I seriously doubt it's a prevo. I think this thing is absolutely adorable. It's my favorite one I've seen so far!! I'm actually liking all of them!
why would you say that? It looks vaguely like drowzee, and this wouldn't be the first time a baby was added that only vaguely resembles its evolution (Munchlax?)

sounds like auto choice band. Combined with regular choice band or scarf and it could be deadly O_O
Uhh, I don't think so, I'm pretty sure it means you can't use the same move twice in a row, so having a choice item on it would probably screw him over and force him to use struggle every second turn :/

A few comments...

[URL="http://www.smogon.com/forums/member.php?u=39136" said:
rvrstar12[/URL]]what about Regice? I used to think he was cool... until i found out he sucked... what a shame..
Guys, nobody remembers RS200 anymore... THAT's a shame.
What I want to say: Don't be sad, Regice was once OU, I'm not kidding you.

Obsessed said:
Unless it has poor special defense, and terrible speed.

Rotom-W used Hydro Pump!

You just know Gamefreak will find a way to ruin a Pokemon with a potentially amazing ability.
Luckily, we have enough examples where they didn't.

Jackos said:
Man, I'm mostly dissapointed with 4 of the new pokes: Gear is Bronzor recolored -.- and his name is as uninspired as geodude or ekans/arbok, Mamepato is basically Starly with a Honchkrow's Platinum pose and a recoloring
Actually, that's a quite typical name. Pokemon don't have unusual names in Japanese, most have simple names resembling their nature, just like "Gear". Search for Japanese names, you'll be surprised.

reshiran is dragon/fire? that's kinda....:/

FUCKING AWESOME!!
(excuse my excessive cussing/caps, but IT FREAKING IS!)

I was vaguely thinking about buying these games...now I know for sure I'm getting at least black :D

Hmm... I may consider getting back to the game and try out black and white. I find Tsutaja and Meguroko pretty cool. It's about time we get a Dragon/Fire pokemon.

"Gearu" is definitely pretty normal for a Japanese name, which also contains names like "Showers" and "Freezer" and "Sleeper". I do agree that it is pretty uninspired, though, but seeing that it's bringing back Plus and Minus abilities, I'd say they knew what they were doing conceptually, anyway, despite having no interesting design idea.

I like Hihidharma. Best new Pokemon so far (save for maybe Tsutarja) in my opinion. If you want to see inspired, this is the guy that goes against every one saying Gamefreak has "run out of ideas." It's a pretty brilliant combination of concepts... I just hope it isn't overshadowed by Infernape... or I should say, doesn't suck in general. I wonder what Encourage does...

Munna is definitely an interesting design too, but I think they were trying too hard to make it different from Drowzee, design-wise, when it's probably really the same exact thing everywhere else.

Shimama with Wild Bolt, whether it is something that ACTUALLY hits the user or if it's just another strong recoil move, is a good sign for Electric-types, even if it's a special recoil move like I'm suspecting. A move that actually hits the user would be interesting but maybe a little less generally useful. I hope it's physical, though... we need more strong Electric physical moves, almost as much as more strong Fire physical moves.

"Gearu" is definitely pretty normal for a Japanese name,
It's actually called "Giraa", which is basically Gear.
Shimama with Wild Bolt, whether it is something that ACTUALLY hits the user or if it's just another strong recoil move, is a good sign for Electric-types, even if it's a special recoil move like I'm suspecting. A move that actually hits the user would be interesting but maybe a little less generally useful. I hope it's physical, though... we need more strong Electric physical moves, almost as much as more strong Fire physical moves.
If Wild Bolt isn't physical, I will eat my hat. I can't think of a Special recoil move off the top of my head, and things like Luxray really "need" a move like that, according to this fandom.

why would you say that? It looks vaguely like drowzee, and this wouldn't be the first time a baby was added that only vaguely resembles its evolution (Munchlax?)
The only thing similar between Drowzee and Munna is the nose. I also don't see the correlation with the floral pattern Munna has to the coloration and characteristics and markings of Drowzee (the nose aside) and Hypno. And I actually thought that Munchlax didn't stray too far from it's evolution design-wise.

Again, this thing is adorable. I love the odd ball Psychic-types. It's sort of the same kind of feeling I had about Chimecho in Gen III. :)

I dunno, it struck me as a Special recoil move, but a strong physical move is probably more important at the moment. We can still get one, though, and it probably won't have recoild if we do, so that's nice. It's not like having one new electric move means we can't have any more.

Also, it looks like "gi a ru" to me. I don't know Japanese or really much about it, but "gi a" by itself is enough to spell "gear" hence the "C Gear", the new Pokemon tool we have. The "ru" is a whole other syllable, and I chose to call it "Gearu". It could also be "Gearlu" or whatever, but Gearu sounds best to me. Maybe "gear" can be spelled like "gi a ru" too, but since we have C "gi a" I assume there's supposed to be a difference in pronunciation.

Also, it looks like "gi a ru" to me. I don't know Japanese or really much about it, but "gi a" by itself is enough to spell "gear" hence the "C Gear", the new Pokemon tool we have. The "ru" is a whole other syllable, and I chose to call it "Gearu". It could also be "Gearlu" or whatever, but Gearu sounds best to me. Maybe "gear" can be spelled like "gi a ru" too, but since we have C "gi a" I assume there's supposed to be a difference in pronunciation.
Ah, really? I was sure I saw something that had the "-" kana, which meant an extension of a vowel sound. The more y'know, I suppose.

So wait... when the crocodile thing kills... its ability to kill is boosted? But if you raise its ability to kill, its chances of killing increases too... Its pwnage is therefore exponential! Ladies and gentlemen, if Gamefreak doesn't completely rape the crocodile's stats or refrain from giving him an evolution, we could have a monster on our hands.

*Crosses fingers and hopes they don't pull an inverse Regigigas* (Regigigas: Great stats, terrible ability. Will crocodile beast be the inverse?)

I looooove Chiramii to bits, I mean, a chihuahua Pokemon! That is AWESOME <3

And the crocodile(name escapes me) is my second favourite from the recent newbies :)

So wait... when the crocodile thing kills... its ability to kill is boosted? But if you raise its ability to kill, its chances of killing increases too... Its pwnage is therefore exponential! Ladies and gentlemen, if Gamefreak doesn't completely rape the crocodile's stats or refrain from giving him an evolution, we could have a monster on our hands.
It doesn't need to have gimped stats in order to not be a monster.

Let's say it has base 110 attack, and STAB Earthquake. Sounds scary right? It really isn't. Our metagame could probably easily handle it with all the bulky waters, choice scarf users, etc...

I am sure things like Suicune will be able to take a boosted hit and counter with Surf.

If it has low/medium base speed then a significant amount of Pokemon will be able to outspeed it, and probably kill it. Also Dark is weak to steel right? This thing is going to be easily checked by Scizor unless they give it a load of defense and HP (in which case it probably wont be fast or strong in the special defense department meaning bulky waters can take it on).

The thing might be OU. However, I seriously doubt it will be anything close to the monster Salamence is.

Apparently, I've heard Hihidharma's ability, "Encourage," negates effects that decrease its stats and make it so they INCREASE its stats. Holy crap Gamefreak, you are making some terribly potent abilities this gen if that's true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)