Popplio, Brionne, Primarina DIscussion

If Liquid Voice does ultimately boost the move as well, then we're looking at a STAB, boosted move coming off of 126 SpA. Primarina also has good typing and coverage. I can see it potentially running a specs set as a powerful wallbreaker.

I'm surprised that Primarina has such a wide movepool, even for a Water starter. The Fairy typing on a special attacker only helps matters, unlike the physical Tapu Koko and Tapu Bulu. I'm glad I've decided to choose Popplio, since Sparkling Aria and Surf will wreck the in-game story.

I'm surprised that Primarina has such a wide movepool, even for a Water starter. The Fairy typing on a special attacker only helps matters, unlike the physical Tapu Koko and Tapu Bulu. I'm glad I've decided to choose Popplio, since Sparkling Aria and Surf will wreck the in-game story.
On a non-competitive point, I genuinely think Primarina is really cool (and I never thought Popplio was bad as a whole, I just liked Rowlet better), because I love mermaids lol. Considered using it for my ingame run, though I like my archer ghost bird just a little more.

Surprisingly pretty good, though Tapu Fini seems to outclass it in most ways. Still though, could be a nice bulky water in RU or UU.

Surprisingly pretty good, though Tapu Fini seems to outclass it in most ways. Still though, could be a nice bulky water in RU or UU.
I wouldn't say it outclasses Primarina. The lack of scald burns and inability to even use rest to heal does affect Tapu's viability a fair amount. They both are bulky water/fairy types, but I think they will have different niches.

Eh... do we know that Liquid Voice increases power too like the Skin/ -ate ability though? I was thinking that she could be another sweeper in my Triples Team after Mega-Blastoise and Sylveon, but after this....

Well if it doesn't boost the damage the ability is useless. Still Quite excited for this pokemon, and will be doing massive damage with its signature move, Hyper voice, Moonblast, and filler

slightly weaker surf that bypasses substitute is still decent
Wouldn't it just be the same power as Surf? Surf and Hyper Voice are both 90 BP.

Also, can we just address its movepool for a second? Liquid Voice Hyper Voice and Scald aside, we're talking Moonblast, Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, Psychic, Shadow Ball, Energy Ball (did not see that coming), Reflect, Light Screen, Encore, and Perish Song.

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
It's HA not boosting water-type moves isn't too much of a dealbreaker (and i'm kind of relieved since -ate abilities are dumb). I can still see this thing dominating with Specs Scald.

yeah its got a good movepool, youre probably running scald over hyper voice in singles at least so basically doesnt have an ability but thats fine. No calm mind is disappointing especially cuz it doesnt get nasty plot, could still run amnesia with a full defensive investment if you wanna go for a bulk set but you dont get any sustain but rest. It gets great coverage, might even think about running an assault vest set. Think until it gets better sustain though life orb/choice specs set might be the norm, can definitely hurt things.

Hmm... I don't think liquid voice will be that bad for doubles, it doesn't get the 30% boost but still gives stab to hyper voice, making it a safer way to hit all the pokemons on the opponent side than surf. The other option is dazzling gleam.
Also sorry for the avatar.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
(In case you're wondering, I decided its only story spoilers I don't want to see)

Slow and Special-oriented with some bulk. So a... different Vaporeon? Not sure if its better or worse. I'm leaning toward worse due to not having as much HP and less useful Abilities. Liquid Voice I guess is alright with Hyper Voice, though kind of ruins Disarming Voice's use (and missed opportunity not having it learn Boomburst).

STABs are there (which makes Liquid Voice a bit less useful unless it gives Hyper Voice a Power increase) with Ice Beam/Blizzard, Psychic, Shadow Ball, and Energy Ball. Aqua Ring provides some healing and gets some other utility moves, though I don't think anything that'll help it much.

Wait, so Sparkling Aria isn't a Burn version of Smelling Salts/Wake-Up Slap? In that case why use it, it's not like its stronger than Surf or Liquid Voice Hyper Voice.

(In case you're wondering, I decided its only story spoilers I don't want to see)

Slow and Special-oriented with some bulk. So a... different Vaporeon? Not sure if its better or worse. I'm leaning toward worse due to not having as much HP and less useful Abilities. Liquid Voice I guess is alright with Hyper Voice, though kind of ruins Disarming Voice's use (and missed opportunity not having it learn Boomburst).

STABs are there (which makes Liquid Voice a bit less useful unless it gives Hyper Voice a Power increase) with Ice Beam/Blizzard, Psychic, Shadow Ball, and Energy Ball. Aqua Ring provides some healing and gets some other utility moves, though I don't think anything that'll help it much.

Wait, so Sparkling Aria isn't a Burn version of Smelling Salts/Wake-Up Slap? In that case why use it, it's not like its stronger than Surf or Liquid Voice Hyper Voice.
More like a different Sylveon. Same Speed Tier, hits harder, but less bulkier.
BTW: totally understand the not wanting to see story spoilers. thankfully these threads exist :P

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I was about to write this thing off as a potential Charizard-X if usage for that thing remains all and well in VII OU, but then I did some actual calcs and was kinda disappointed.

+1 252 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Primarina (Azumarill with adjusted stats): 166-196 (45.6 - 53.8%) -- 46.9% chance to 2HKO

Regardless, its incredible offensive and defensive typing along with a limited but good-enough movepool would give it lots of rooms for teams relyingon defensive synergy and need a tank for their purposes. I'm thinking a simple special attacking set w/ Specs or Leftovers:

Primarina @ Leftovers / Choice Specs
Ability: Torrent / Liquid Voice
EVs: 236 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Hydro Pump / Sparkling Aria / Hyper Voice
- Ice Beam / Psychic / Hidden Power Fire

Same concept as Keldeo/Azumarill except you trade a ton of speed and the ability to hit special walls for superior special coverage. You're potentially hitting harder than Keldeo while tanking a ton of attacks and limiting your switchins between Moonblast and Scald. Ability / Third move combination doesn't matter much imo since you likely wanna use Hydro Pump for that nuke button anyway and Aria / Hyper Voice isn't that much of an upgrade from Scald's 80. Torrent is also situationally more useful than Liquid Voice. Ice Beam hits bulky grasses, Psychic for Venusaur, and Hidden Power Fire if Ferrothorn is a particular prob.

Yeah pre solid mon, but really needs Calm Mind or a recovery move if you don't want to keep babying it with Wish.

I agree if this thing get monstrous stab like boomburst, or something like Calm Mind or some recovery in the next game tutors then it can actually be nice (Or if Liquid Voice boosts moves but that doesnt seem to be the case and I should give up hope on this)

Still this thing can pump out enough damage with good bulk for it to be a threat in UU imo

Welcome back! And, to answer your question, my guess is that Sparkling Aria may be similar to Ribombee's signature move, Pollen Puff, in that it won't harm burned targets, only heal them, lending it some utility in Doubles. That said, Liquid Hyper Voice will definitely be preferred, especially since VGC 2017 won't allow Hyper Voice on any of the -ate Ability users.

The Gen 7 roster really seems to be built a lot around doubles, like even more than previous generations. I'm looking forward to the next season of VGC to see how things pan out.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason Liquid Voice *seemingly* doesn't get a boost is because Primarina will get Boomburst as a Move Tutor move in the next game.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)