Post 1,011: A ODD UU Battle

I had been tinkering with the idea of doing a sort of commemerative warstory to mark me sticking around long enough to hit 1000 posts ... but I wasn't feeling particularly inspired.

Then I read http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48208

A warstory which demonstrates skilled and intelligent play, and features the cream of the “UU” metagame, in terms of both players and pokemon.

A shining example of top level competitive UU battling, and deserving of its place in the war-story archive.

It inspired me to produce this ... which in many ways is the antithesis of mind's and Eo Ut Mortis's battle. This is not to suggest that this battle is not without its own merits, or devoid of any skill or prediction, but rather it represents a declining element of UU, where teams are made up of the quirkier "bargain basement" pokemon, and employ less common strategies.

Hopefully it will raise the odd smile, before being quickly forgotten like my previous entries exploring the weirder world of "UU", and so I make no apologies for inflicting this upon you all.

Just a quick note: my opponent (who will remain nameless) and I had battled several times throughout the course of this particular day, and so were both well aware of the pecularities of each others teams.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause.

Opponent sent out Dodrio.
ODDish sent out Beautifly.

VS.

*Sigh* Dodrio is an unwelcome sight for Beautifly, this entire team infact. The last thing any NU Bug team needs is a Flying type with base 110 Attack, 100 Speed and STAB Drill Peck. Fortunately as a result of our previous encounters I know that my opponent lacks the aforementioned attack, indeed, any Flying-type attack, and so I’m safe in the knowledge that my team will not be easily swept. I also know that his/her first move is likely to be substitute, and that my only means of dealing with this three headed monstrosity will mean sacrificing Beautifly. To the altar then …

Dodrio used Substitute. Dodrio lost 25% of its health.
Dodrio made a substitute!
Beautifly used Psychic.
The substitute took damage for Dodrio! Dodrio's substitute faded!

My opponent is employing the seldom seen Flail Dodrio, which unfortunately forces me to send Beautifly on the offensive as I simply cannot allow it to keep that sub up. So after three further turns of ‘drio subbing, and ‘fly psyching, the expected outcome is reached …

Dodrio used Flail.
Beautifly lost 100% of its health.
ODDish's Beautifly fainted.

Opponent 6 ODDish 5
Opponent: Active:
= 1% (+ Leichi Boost)

Fainted: None

ODDish: Active: None
Fainted:

Faced with a Leichi boosted flailing Dodrio, I have to choice which of my two "counters" to switch in: the spider or the (fire)fly. I opt for my favourite of the two ...

ODDish switched in Ariados.

VS.

Ariados used Sucker Punch.
Dodrio lost 1% of its health.
Opponent's Dodrio fainted.

There's not much to say really, my opponent sacrifices Dodrio to the inevitable Sucker Punch, allowing him/her a clean switch in and evening the scores.

Opponent 5 ODDish 5

Opponent: Active: None
Fainted:

ODDish: Active:
= 100%
Fainted:

Sloth has entered the room.
HeadHunter has entered the room.

Opponent switched in Farfetch'd.

Yes … I know, Farfetch’d!?!? Who in their right mind ladders with Farfetch’d. Any smart arse thinking of pointing out the irony of such a statement being made by the owner of an NU Bug team, would do well to search for and read my previous warstories. They quite clearly set the precedent for my own questionable mental status. Still I know from experience I can't risk losing Ariados to the duck, it simply couldn't cope with the shame so I switch in the second most dispensable member of my team ...​

ODDish switched in Butterfree.

VS.

Farfetch'd used Substitute.
Farfetch'd lost 25% of its health. Farfetch'd made a substitute!
Butterfree used Bug Buzz. It's not very effective...
The substitute took damage for Farfetch'd!
Farfetch'd's substitute faded!
Farfetch'd used Aerial Ace.
It's super effective!
Butterfree lost 72% of its health.

A sad testament to Farfetch’d's appalling stats. A nve took down its sub, whilst it fails to OHKO a Butterfree with a super effective attack. No prizes for guessing my next move …

Butterfree used Sleep Powder.
Farfetch'd fell asleep! Farfetch'd is fast asleep!

Decisions, decisions. I can either: a) Predict that my opponent will switch, and attempt to paralyse the incoming pokemon with Stun Spore; b) Go on the attack with STAB Bug Buzz; or c) go on the attack with a neutral Psychic. Over the course of our previous battles I had opted for both a) and c), much to the annoyance of the fighting types that switched in, and so this time I take option b). Two Bug Buzzes later my opponents Salac berry activates, which would have been little use were it not for the fact that the following turn …

Farfetch'd woke up!
Farfetch'd used Aerial Ace. It's super effective!
Butterfree lost 28% of its health.
ODDish's Butterfree fainted.

Opponent 5 ODDish 4

= 9% (+ Salac Boost)
Fainted:

Fainted:

ODDish switched in Ariados.

VS.

But it failed!
Farfetch'd used Swords Dance. Farfetch'd's attack was sharply raised.

Ha-ah, touché. Predicting that my underhand Ariados would once again Sucker Punch, my opponent takes the opportunity to boost. Still the situation is still, arguably, in my favour. I have the priority move, which renders his boosts essentially useless, as whilst s/he can sit stating up against my Sucker Punches, Farfetch’d clearly won’t withstand any sort of hit. So its a simple matter of prediction and holding my nerve, which seems to work

Farfetch'd lost 9% of its health.
Opponent's Farfetch'd fainted.

Opponent 4 ODDish 4

Fainted:

= 100%
Fainted:

Opponent switched in Persian.

VS.

Sorry to disappoint anyone expecting a mono-Bug vs. mono-Flying grudge match. Still having been in this situation in our previous encounters I know what to expect, so I'm not overly concerned ...

Persian used Substitute.
Persian lost 25% of its health. Persian made a substitute!
Ariados used Bug Bite.
Ariados's Liechi Berry raised its attack!
The substitute took damage for Persian! Persian's substitute faded!

If you haven't already guessed the theme of my opponent's team is berry boosting, which suits Ariados quite nicely. Leichi boosted Ariados … Ariados sweep perhaps?

Persian used Psych Up.
Persian copied the opponent's stat changes!
Ariados used Bug Bite.
Persian lost 75% of its health.
Opponent's Persian fainted.

Ooh sneaky. Psych Up was actually a new edition to this particular Persian’s repertoire, and had Persian been made of sturdier stuff I might have been in a spot of bother. As it is I take the upper hand for the first time in this match

Opponent 3 ODDish 4

Fainted:

= 100% (+ Leichi Boost)
Fainted:

Opponent switched in Hitmonlee.

VS.

His kingdom for a rock-type attack. Yes this particular 'lee is deficient in the rock department and so Ariados is assured a hit or two. First things first time to sample that Berry ...

Hitmonlee used Sucker Punch. Ariados lost 34% of its health.
Ariados used Bug Bite. Ariados's Salac Berry raised its speed!
It's not very effective...
Hitmonlee lost 50% of its health.
Ariados's leftovers restored its health a little!

HeadHunter: okay thats the way bug bute works ^^
ODDish: It's rarely proven this useful ...

At this point I suffer a mental blip and switch from Bug Bite to Shadow Sneak, which in hindsight was the wrong decision, but motivated by my past experience of seeing Ariados taken out with a critical hit at this stage. Still even with Salac boost the spider is SLOOOWWW …. Hitmonlee’s Sucker Punch out prioritising my Shadow Sneak. Fortunately no crit emerges and the spider emerges triumphant a turn or two later.

Hitmonlee used Sucker Punch.
Ariados lost 35% of its health.
Ariados used Shadow Sneak.
Hitmonlee lost 11% of its health.
Opponent's Hitmonlee fainted.
Ariados's leftovers restored its health a little!

Opponent 2 ODDish 4

Fainted:

= 16% (+ Leichi Boost + Salac Boost)
Fainted:

Opponent switched in Vigoroth.

Opponent: god i hate bug bite

Vigoroth used Sucker Punch.
Ariados lost 16% of its health.
ODDish's Ariados fainted.

Adieu sweet spider, you served me well.

Opponent 2 ODDish 3

= 100%
Fainted:

Fainted:

ODDish switched in Parasect.

VS.

HeadHunter: mono bug oddish ?
ODDish: yep
HeadHunter: wnat to battle ? i have also some mono teams

Vigoroth used Substitute.
Vigoroth lost 25% of its health. Vigoroth made a substitute!
Parasect used X-Scissor.
The substitute took damage for Vigoroth!
Vigoroth's substitute faded!

At this point I know Vigoroth is another Flail abuser, in our first encounter I was completely ignorant of this particular strategy and it almost cost me. Anyhoo, I'm almost back where I started with Dodrio, Parasect will undoubtedly be KO'd by a Flailing Vigoroth and yet I cannot allow it to keep the sub up. Oh well rinse and repeat until ...

Vigoroth used Flail.
Parasect lost 97% of its health.
Parasect's Effect Spore paralysed Vigoroth!
Parasect used X-Scissor.
Vigoroth lost 1% of its health.
Opponent's Vigoroth fainted.
Parasect's leftovers restored its health a little!
Parasect restored 6% of its health.

Opponent 1 ODDish 3

Fainted:

= 3%
Fainted:

I didn't to survive, despite the fact that it was a fairly defensive build, guess it was bulkier than I thought. Still its practically dead and I knew what was coming next ... I wasn't out of the woods yet.

Opponent switched in Primerape (Primeape).

VS.

What to do? Will my opponent will take the opportunity to set up a sub, or will it put Parasect out of its misery.

Primerape used Substitute.
Primerape lost 25% of its health. Primerape made a substitute!
Parasect used Synthesis.
Parasect restored 50% of its health.
Parasect's leftovers restored its health a little!

That gamble paid off, but now do I risk healing again or go on the offensive?

Primerape used Bulk Up.
Primerape's attack was raised. Primerape's defence was raised.
Parasect used Synthesis.
Parasect restored 34% of its health.

I'm now at full health, but Primape is getting bulkier by the minute and I’ve got to get that sub down sharpish or I'm in trouble. Unfortunately I forget that Fighting types resist Bug attacks …

Primerape used Bulk Up.
Primerape's attack was raised. Primerape's defence was raised.
Parasect used X-Scissor.
The substitute took damage for Primerape!

Fortunately this ‘sect also packs Seed Bomb and so for the next few turns my opponent cycles through Bulk Up/Substitute, whittling Primeapes HP down to activate its Salac berry in preparation for some serious Reversal abuse. Parasect is as good as dead … as is the remainder of my team infact unless …

Primerape used Reversal.
Parasect lost 100% of its health.
ODDish's Parasect fainted.
Parasect's Effect Spore paralysed Primerape!

Opponent 1 ODDish 2

= 1% (+Sub +5 Bulk Ups + Paralysis)
Fainted:

Fainted:

ODDish switched in Volbeat.

VS.

Opponent: oh come on
Opponent: your effect spore has gotten me every time
HeadHunter: lol
ODDish: i'm so war storrying this ...

He was right my Effect Spore had gotten him every time, to be honest I was counting on it doing so this time, which is why I rode my luck that it would do so again. Still I’m faced with a seriously pumped ‘ape hidden behind a sub. Volbeat can probably take out the sub, but won’t survive a hit, fortunately it didn’t have to as fate decided to be particularly cruel ...

Volbeat used Zen Headbutt.
It's super effective!
The substitute took damage for Primerape! Primerape's substitute faded!
Primerape is paralysed! It can't move!

Opponent: urgh
ODDish: i'll change your name though

Volbeat used Zen Headbutt.
It's super effective! Primerape lost 1% of its health.
ODDish wins!

Opponent 0 ODDish 2

Fainted:

= 100%
Fainted:

Opponent: gimmick team, either way.

Props and slops

Props
My Opponent: Although a little ungracious at the end, s/he nevertheless provided a welcome and interesting distraction from the majority of standard teams I’d battled that day.
Ariados and Parasect: The heart and soul of this team

Slops
Beautifly: Contributed little to this or any other battle in which it was involved. Subsequently replaced by Masquerain.
Final Paralysis: Had Primeape not been paralysed that turn, and had KO'd Volbeat, the match would have gotten down to the more acceptable 1 Vs. 1 scenario. Of course I'd still have outsped it with my final pokemon, but you would have least gotten to see Illumise in action.

That's all folks, if you made it this far thanks for sticking with it, and I hope it made you chuckle if nothing else.

Bug teams ftw!!!!

EDIT: That was beautiful. Re-reading, Ariados was so great. I like this set-up. Very nice indeed.

Caelum

qibz official stalker
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gotta love gimmick v gimmick, particularly in UU.

To be honest, I find war stories some of the most boring things to read. However, I did get quite a bit of amusement out of this from two rather unique players. Well done. Your edits, graphics, commentary all worked wonderfully together. You clearly put a lot of effort into this thread so well done. 5 stars!

This was more like Running with Scizors lite.

Great read, I rarely read war stories but I finished this one and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Opponent 1 ODDish 2
Should be Opponent 0 ODDish 2 if you're interested ;) Congratulations on your 1K and this was a thoroughly enjoyable warstory. Although the battle was a time a little repetitive and perhaps not the best >.< your cunning wit and entralling writing style kept me hanging on until the very end. Thanks for a great read and congratulations.

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You gave the name of your opponent away in some transcripts. :)

Good read though.

I usually have to read a warstory multiple times to fully understand every aspect, but with this one, I only had to go through once, which is great. You made everything understandable, and overall a fantastic warstory, very enjoyable. Thanks, ODDish! :D

This is an awesome warstory. It warms my heart to see Airados, Volbeat and Parasect seeing the light of day. I want to try out Parasect in UU now.

He can but I guess the trainer didnt have it on its moveset.

@Warstory:

That bug team is doing farely well in the UU enviroment, if its not the lame standard team >.<.

Nice warstory, enjoyable read there.

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Great battle, well written and laid out and non-standard teams!

What more could you ask for?

Loved the Bug Bite boosts, never seen it work outside of LC.

that was one of the funniest things I've ever read. very nice job with the battle and using one of the worst types in the game(second only to poison IMO)

i played this team and won.
Maybe unsurprisisngly, i found this war story exciting to read. XD

i love beautifly lead and love the fact ariados has to resort to bug bite for stab.

I made a mono poison uu team that was suprisingly good.
poison and bugs are very cool
good luck

Your edits, graphics, commentary all worked wonderfully together. You clearly put a lot of effort into this thread so well done. 5 stars!
Thank you ... I think this is the first time one of my warstories has ever received a rating. Much appreciated.

Should be Opponent 0 ODDish 2 if you're interested ;) Congratulations on your 1K and this was a thoroughly enjoyable warstory.
Ta ... and fixed.

You gave the name of your opponent away in some transcripts. :)
If you mean HeadHunter he was, as Goldfan suggested, spectating.

No bulky Ladian. :(
Sorry, I'm not a fan of Ledian.

Thanks everyone ... if I ever reach 2K maybe there will be a sequel.

Eo Ut Mortus

Elodin Smells
is a Programmeris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Nice warstory, and I finally got to see all of your team. UU Bugs are heavily underrated, and it was good to see them in action. A bit of a pity that Illumise wasn't shown, because it can be a monster sometimes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)