ORAS OU Power Trip

Vague

Banned deucer.
For the many who don't know me I'm Vague and I've been a UU main for the past few months since I've joined the site. SuMo is just around the corner so I decided to share one of my favorite OU team, pretty ironic don't you think? But, I kinda felt the need to make an RMT that showcases the immense threat named Choice Specs Hydreigon, which absolutely demolishes the prevalent bulky builds OU see today with little to no problem at all.

Teambuilding Process

Specs Hydreigon is an absolute menace since special Dark STAB is insanely hard to switch-in to and Draco hits stupidly hard. Conventional resists are a rarity and those that can switch-in can't do so 100% of the time due to its great coverage and sheer power. Mega Lopunny pairs nicely with Hydreigon since it's really formidable against offense which Hydra struggles with and it appreciates having bulky backbones broken down.

Talonflame came next as a multipurpose revenge killer to a wide array of threats with its powerful priority in Acrobatics and a fearsome SD sweeper. It also keeps big time threats like Mega Scizor, Lopunny, Serperior, and Volcarona at bay.

With Talonflame added, hazard removal suddenly became important so Defog Latios came next. Aside from removing hazards, it does other Latios things such as checking some electrics and Keldeo. It also made a neat dragonspam core with Hydreigon so its usual Draco switch-in's aren't tanking hits with ease.

Jirachi. Brings nearly everything you could ever want in a 'mon. Great bulk, good typing to check Fairies and Dragons, Rocks, U-turn, Healing Wish, and more. All around great 'mon that fulfills its role effectively.

Rotom-W rounded off the team as a necessary multipurpose check to a number of threats like Sand Rush Excadrill, Talonflame, Mega Pinsir, etc the same things it's always pivoted into. Speaking of pivoting, it also completed the volturn core between it and Mega Scizor which is great for getting teammates into play, especially Dugtrio and Hydreigon.

After playing with the previous team for a while, there were some dynamics of it that I disliked. Mainly Chansey as it could easily dance around the team and consistently come in on Hydra. So I replaced Jirachi with Dugtrio as it can trap Chansey so Hydreigon can walk all over stall, while also trapping some other annoying threats such as Mega Diancie and Tyranitar. A team without a Steel-type is just asking to fail, so Mega Scizor took Lopunny's place. It does nearly the same thing Jirachi does bar Healing Wish, but but it did bring another wincon to the table.

In-Depth Analysis

got me up all night
| Levitate
Modest | 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | IVs: 0 Atk
Draco Meteor | Dark Pulse | Flash Cannon | Flamethrower
Specs Hydreigon is the focal point of the team and potent wallbreaker. Hydreigon itself wasn't very common until now with the popularization of its Specs set. As I stated above, special Dark STAB, in this case Dark Pulse, is very hard to switch-in to, especially in Hydra's case with its stellar coverage to further limit switch-ins. Draco Meteor is also nothing to scoff at since it nukes nearly everything in sight that doesn't either resist it, immune, or bulky enough to shrug it off. Flash Cannon is great coverage that blows back Fairy switch-ins so it can click Draco Meteor later in the game without much thought involved. Flamethrower is pretty much a filler, but it does maim Klefki and score OHKOs on Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn. All in all, I love Specs Hydreigon and how much attention its been getting as of late.

all i'm singing is love songs
| Arena Trap
Jolly | 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe | IVs: 21 HP
Earthquake | Reversal | Screech | Stealth Rock

Dugtrio is an imperative component of the team to ensure its success. Without it, the team would struggle greatly against a multitude of threats that can otherwise be managed by Arena Trap. This ability allows Dugtrio to trap all grounded Pokemon and in most cases, remove at least one (or two) defining threat against this team to pave way to victory. Mega Diancie, Heatran, Tyranitar, even some things you never would have thought of. For example, after Mega Lopunny has used Fake Out it can be trapped and beaten with a full-power Reversal and Starmie is outsped and 2HKOed with Earthquake. So as you can see, Dugtrio exerts a lot of pressure against the opposing team if they have something that can be trapped and is necessary for team functionality. The one things that breaks Dugtrio, however, is it's reliance on Focus Sash. Without it, it's only trapping things that can be taken out in a single Earthquake, so be mindful of that. For those who don't know, 21 HP IVs gives Dugtrio an HP number of 201, which takes 2 Seismic Tosses from Chansey and leaves it with a full-power Reversal. Stealth Rock is on Dugtrio because it's the only one that learns it and it works as a "last-ditch" effort after it's trapped something. Don't judge me :P​

she got me up all night
Gale Wings
Adamant | 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Acrobatics | Swords Dance | Taunt | Roost
Bulky SD Talonflame is my favorite Talonflame as Acrobatics is, realistically, all you need and that allows you to invest in its bulk. The EV spread outruns neutral base 100's and maximizes attack with the rest in HP for beefing it up a bit. The one irregularity in the moveset is Taunt and it's a tech that I've grown to prefer over Wisp. Taunt is good here for denying Toxic, Taunt, Twave, Rocks, setup, etc. while also keeping backbones low. Also Clef paralyzing both of your Fairy resists is a sin, so at least Talonflame can stand a chance against it 1v1. Although its not slashed, Brave Bird + Sharp Beak or Leftovers is an option over Acrobatics for much more power.​

constant drinking and love songs
| Levitate | IVs: 0 Atk
Timid | 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Draco Meteor | Thunderbolt | Defog | Roost

Out of all the options for hazard removal in the tier, Latios is the most reliable and as much as I dislike Defog variants, it's necessary to ensure Talonflame and Dugtrio can come in and do their thing. The EV spread is a slight and somewhat common modification that gives Latios a bit more bulk while still hitting a LO number. The set is pretty self-explanatory, Draco Meteor is a powerful STAB that hits everything bar the bulkiest resists hard and Thunderbolt is a nice here since I felt Psyshock wasn't necessary. It lures in Skarmory for Scizor and Talonflame, while also functioning as a nice way to pressure bulky Water-types that can tank a Draco Meteor.​

she got me up all night
| Light Metal
Impish | 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
U-turn | Bullet Punch | Swords Dance | Roost

Mega Scizor is probably the most used and most reliable Mega in the entire tier. It may not be the most versatile, but it always does its job extremely well. Akin to Jirachi, it's primary function is to pivot around to get Hydreigon in, or in other matchups, work as a formidable sweeper. It forms a great SD duo with Talonflame, where one of them usually weakens their similar checks first so the other can come in and sweep. Overall, it's a great and consistent 'mon that's been used all generation for good reason.

drown it out with these love songs
| Levitate | IVs: 0 Atk
Bold | 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Hydro Pump | Volt Switch | Will-O-Wisp | Pain Split
Everyone and their mother knows what Rotom-W does, so I'll spare you the drawn out explanation. It rounded off the team as a great pivot that checks a ton of things that were a pain to face while also making a nifty volturn core with Mega Scizor. It's also pretty hard to not find yourself relying on Rotom-W a ton just because the virtue that is Will-O-Wisp allows it to function as a check to things it's bulk alone can't handle. I wouldn't play too recklessly with it though, it's pretty necessary to manage a slew of threats and Pain Split isn't something to rely on.​

THREAT LIST

Physical Fighting-types in general are hard to deal with as I don't have a solid switch-in. Your best bet is to preserve the faster teammates (or Talonflame) to revenge kill them since you are never coming in for free. You can trap most of them with Dugtrio.

Mega Charizard X is the very definition of a threat. It's not easy for it to setup, but when it does it's near impossible to stop. Be balsy with Taunt Talon, make aggressive plays, try to trap it with Dugtrio, do what you gotta do fam.

Garchomp, specifically SD variants, can be quite a bit to handle. It's one of the threats Dugtrio can't beat and it click SD without much thought and watches something drop. Rotom-W can be an emergency check with Wisp, Latios can revenge it, or wear it down enough so priority can pick it off.

HP Fire Latios pretty much invalidates my best check to it, then click Draco Meteor without a care. From there, you can revenge it with your own Latios or get it weakened enough to where Acrobatics can pick it off. Any other variant is a-okay.

Scarf Excadrill deserves a mention since it can actually give this team massive headaches as I lack an actual Ground immunity not denied by Mold Breaker and Rock Slide. Dugtrio can beat it 1v1 though!!!

Conclusion

I haven't made many friends on this site yet, but shoutout to all my UU homies who accepted me rather quickly into the community. Everyone's actually pretty nice and easy to get along with. Hopefully, I'll become a bit more active next gen and become a part of the site. Thanks for reading!

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Dugtrio @ Focus Sash
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
IVs: 21 HP
- Earthquake
- Reversal
- Screech
- Stealth Rock

Talonflame
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 208 HP / 252 Atk / 48 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Taunt
- Roost

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 32 HP / 224 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Defog
- Roost

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 16 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

p.s. dugtrio is cancer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)