Probopass Moveset - "I have no idea if this will work."

So if you need a Garachomp counter just use an Ice Shard Weavile. Seems useful. Or Ice punch since it does outspeed it. :x
Except for the fact that Weavile can't really switch into Garchomp, because, well, Garchomp will murder it on the switch. Ice Punch is probably the most practical move if you do somehow manage to get in, though if it's a ScarfChomp you'll be in for a nasty surprise. I'm not so sure if Ice Shard would OHKO.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Garchomp under Gravity won't be a big deal for a team centered around Gravity. Sand Veil won't save its ass from Ice Beam or Ice Shard anymore. Cresselia still won't be KO'd by Earthquake, and Tangrowth resists it.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from throwing a Ground-resist Berry on Propobass and nuking the thing back to hell with Explosion. CB Mamoswine abuses Gravity just as well and easily slaughters Garchomp with Ice Shard.

Dusknoir and Blissey/Clefable can also use Gravity. The former has Ice Punch and the latter has Ice Beam. Jumpluff can switch in too, and the inly thing more annoying than a Subseeding Jumpluff is a Subseeding Jumpluff with 100% accurate Sleep Power and Leech Seed. Forfeiting Ground immunity is pretty irrelevant when you resist Ground anyway.

I think it can be done, its just a matter of thinking it through.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
The only reason I'm keeping this open is that people actually replied and saved the thread. The next time you are going to type something like:
Arceus said:
This, my dear companions, is the result of extreme laziness. I have no idea of it'll work
do everyone a favor and don't post it.

Would this set work? I'm looking for more gimmicks to add to my team, so...

Probopass @ Wide Lens/Zoom Lens

Gravity
Zap Cannon
Dynamichpunch
Block

I'm thinking this could be EXTREMELY annoying if it works.

Garchomp under Gravity won't be a big deal for a team centered around Gravity. Sand Veil won't save its ass from Ice Beam or Ice Shard anymore. Cresselia still won't be KO'd by Earthquake, and Tangrowth resists it.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from throwing a Ground-resist Berry on Propobass and nuking the thing back to hell with Explosion. CB Mamoswine abuses Gravity just as well and easily slaughters Garchomp with Ice Shard.

Dusknoir and Blissey/Clefable can also use Gravity. The former has Ice Punch and the latter has Ice Beam. Jumpluff can switch in too, and the inly thing more annoying than a Subseeding Jumpluff is a Subseeding Jumpluff with 100% accurate Sleep Power and Leech Seed. Forfeiting Ground immunity is pretty irrelevant when you resist Ground anyway.

I think it can be done, its just a matter of thinking it through.
Unfortunately though Cresselia/Blissey/most Clefable won't be able to OHKO Garchomp back, ether. Not many things can take three Garchomp Earthquakes, especially CBed ones. Blissey/Clefable won't be coming in on Garchomp period, and Cresselia most likely can handle 3 EQs, but so many things can go wrong. What if Sandstorm is in effect and Ice Beam misses? What if said Garchomp is CBed? What if Cresselia was damaged earlier in the match? Who would save you then?!

Making a Gravity team that can counter Garchomp is possible, you'll just have to dedicate half the team to stopping it, until you realize your just as much weak to Tyraniboah as you were Garchomp.

Not to mention moveset issues like

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
Seismic Toss
Gravity
Softboiled
Blizzard/Ice Beam/Thunder Wave

You pretty much have to choose which Pokemon you want to get a free switch-in.

The main problem with Gravity teams imo is that it's much more easy for your opponent to abuse it then any other field effect.

Except for the fact that Weavile can't really switch into Garchomp, because, well, Garchomp will murder it on the switch. Ice Punch is probably the most practical move if you do somehow manage to get in, though if it's a ScarfChomp you'll be in for a nasty surprise. I'm not so sure if Ice Shard would OHKO.
It's not really made to switch but to revenge kill it. Therefore stopping it before it can do anymore.

Deck Knight

is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Not to mention moveset issues like

Blissey @ Leftovers
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
Seismic Toss
Gravity
Softboiled
Blizzard/Ice Beam/Thunder Wave

You pretty much have to choose which Pokemon you want to get a free switch-in.

The main problem with Gravity teams imo is that it's much more easy for your opponent to abuse it then any other field effect.
Seismic Toss? Given Gravity's acc boosting nature, you could put Thunder in that slot. Mine runs Aromatherapy there because I primarily use Bliss as an in-and-out cleric, although it makes for an easy Gravity setup and its alot easier to kill Chompy with Blizzard than Ice Beam.

Course, my team also has Mamoswine, which abuses Gravity just as badly as Garchomp (they have the same base attack) and also forces it out or destroys it. If Garchomp is stuck in Outrage it's finished. Anyway, Garchomp is lethal, but its still quite overhyped. You have to account for it of course, but it's still one pokemon, with a very bad weakness and few good resists.

I really hate to do this... but...

Blissey has Gravity as a egg move! WTF?!?!?!?

With Blissey, the uber-special wall, who can calm-mind bolt/beam (as well as Gravity + Blizzard + Thunder)... I think Probopass just lost his job. I mean hell, Blissey has the same Sp. Atk as probopass. The only real difference is the explosion.

Nonetheless, Gravity teams seem interesting. Lets see what yall think...

... I think Probopass just lost his job. I mean hell, Blissey has the same Sp. Atk as probopass.
Like I said...there are other far less liability prone Gravity users.

Other Gravity users who haven't been mentioned yet besides Dusknoir and Clefable are Jirachi, Arceus and Wiiglytuff. Just not convinced Gravity is a good use of Probopass.

On the other hand Gravity can turn Dynamic Punch Medicham/Toxicroak or Dynamic Punch+Hypnosis Poliwrath into a absolutely devastating threat. Medicham is the big mention since its normally Scarfed and has that absolutely brutal 480 attack and STAB to work off. Confusion is like a death sentence.

Deck Knight

A lot of people like my sets :3

You're forgetting that, just like Trick Room, Gravity would be most useful in a team that is built to abuse it. Of course, Gravity would be less essential to the team and more of a booster, and would also help the foe a bit too. Gravity would render the usual "No EQ on Choice Bander" 'rule' pretty moot, giving GarBand (omg random name) the strongest EQ in the game and totally raping everything for three turns (Gravity-Explosion(first KO?)-EQ-EQ-EQ (up to four KOs that totally lols at levitators and fliers like Gengar or Skarm that'll get pwned)).
Minor nitpick:

1. Technically, Rhyperior has the strongest CB EQ in Non-Uber play. (Groudon of course has the strongest)
2. Mamoswine ties Garchomp in EQ power.

That is all.

Seismic Toss? Given Gravity's acc boosting nature, you could put Thunder in that slot. Mine runs Aromatherapy there because I primarily use Bliss as an in-and-out cleric, although it makes for an easy Gravity setup and its alot easier to kill Chompy with Blizzard than Ice Beam.

Course, my team also has Mamoswine, which abuses Gravity just as badly as Garchomp (they have the same base attack) and also forces it out or destroys it. If Garchomp is stuck in Outrage it's finished. Anyway, Garchomp is lethal, but its still quite overhyped. You have to account for it of course, but it's still one pokemon, with a very bad weakness and few good resists.
My Gravity team also had Mamoswine (and Garchomp for that matter), and sure it can force Garchomp out, but that won't stop Garchomp from coming out the next time Gravity is set up. Not to mention Mamoswine will be having troubles switching into Garchomp, so you'll probably have to sacrifice something to bring Mamoswine in the first time. If your typical opponent (which might carry Rhyperior too) can trouble you this much, I just don't see Gravity teams becoming too popular. It's pretty much setting up the field for your opponent to sweep imo =/

Thunder > Seismic Toss gives Electivire and Infernape free switch-ins, not to mention you won't be able to do a thing to Magnezone. And although I'm not a fan of Trick Room ether, unless for some reason your opponent is wierd and decided to make a mono-slow team, Trick Room will be helping you much much more then your opponent. Not to say Gravity sucks though, no, if you can get your Earthquakers in fast enough it can be gg for your opponent! It's just much easier for your non-gravity team to abuse then other field conditions.

Assuming I'm calculating this correctly, Gravity will only make Dynamicpunch 80% or so accurate, not something I'd want to rely on.

This is turning more into a Gravity discussion then a Probopass moveset discussion though, so I'm going to stop before this topic is locked.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)