Protean Palace

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Approved by Arcticblast and Joim
Thanks to Slayer95 for originally implementing it

With the advent of gen 6, a new ability was released: Protean. This ability allowed the user to change its type right before it used a move to match the type of the move used. For example, Greninja using Ice Beam would change its type into Ice before using Ice Beam. This means STAB on everything, and you could play mindgames with type changing. However, this new toy was only distributed to 2 fully-evolved Pokemon: Greninja and Kecleon. What if more Pokemon had this ability?

Or better still, what if Pokemon was already like this?

In the Protean Palace metagame, all Pokemon have the ability Protean on top of their original ability. This means every Pokemon has their original ability, but their typing also changes right before they make a move to match the move's type. For example, a Latios using Draco Meteor would have its type changed to Dragon-type, but still be immune to Ground-type moves thanks to Levitate. A Jirachi using Body Slam would have its type changed to Normal, yet still have a 60% chance to paralyze the opponent because of Serene Grace. Shedinja can change its typing to whatever it wants, yet only super effective moves can harm it! This metagame would then be very centered around Speed and priority, as the ability to outrun the opponent allows you to play mindgames. Offense is everything, with every move getting STAB.

This metagame follows the standard XY OU banlist.

Here are some guidelines on how Protean works:
lol as if any of these matter

- Transform (and presumably Imposter) transforms the user into the Normal-type, and then to the opponent. The user will then be the opposing Pokemon but of the Normal-type. For example, if a Mew used Transform against a Weedle, it will become a Normal-type Weedle

- Using a move that calls other moves, such as Assist or Metronome, the user will transform into the type of the move called. For example if Metronome calls Flamethrower, the user will transform into a Fire-type.

- A user affected by Electrify or Ion Deluge will transform into an Electric-type

- Using Flying Press changes the user into Fighting-type only

- Using Curse transforms the user into a Ghost-type first, so the user will use the Ghost-type version of Curse

- Using a multi-turn move, such as Solarbeam or Bide, transforms the user's type on the first turn

- Typing is reverted to the original one upon switching out

- A Pokemon whose original ability is Protean will have a single typing when it uses a move. For example, Water/Water Greninja isn't going to happen

- Conversion and Conversion2 change the user's type to Normal, then change the user's type again after the move is used. For example: Porygon changes into Normal-type --> Porygon uses Conversion --> Porygon changes into the Dark type --> Opponent makes a move

This format is now playable on the Pandora server! Huge thanks to Slayer95 for implementing. Link: http://pandora.psim.us/

This format is also playable on Sapphire! Link: http://sapphire.psim.us/

This format is now playable on Joim's Lab as well! http://joimslab.psim.us/

So, what sets do you think will be good in this meta? Which Pokemon received buffs and nerfs? Discuss!

What about Proygon-Z? It has somewhat high speed, almost as much power, and better coverage options (thunderbolt, ice beam, shadow ball, etc. vs. ice punch, crunch, thunderpunch, etc.).

AWailOfATail

viva la darmz
This is going to be a fun meta. Although it nerfs some walls that were premier due to their typing (aka all of the steel types), bulky offense might be the best way to play this. But for now, I'm looking at a few that shot to mind.
Alakazam: Magic Guard + Life Orb / STAB on all attacks. Yeah. That's almost a x2 multiplier on any attack coming off of a 135 base SpA.
Cinccino: Although in RU, Skill Link combined with STAB might actually bring him up in popularity. Cloyster's still better, but Cinccino doesn't need to set up.
Conkeldurr: Guts + Protean. These abilities stacking on top of each other... And he can just run Mach/Fire/Thunder/Ice Punch. Or you could run Iron Fist with an Assault Vest.

I'm assuming that Megas get their new ability AND Protean?
And Shedinja. Please no. Although it takes SR damage and is easily outsped. But still. Nightmares galore.

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
Anything with adaptability will be amazing in this meta. Crawdaunt and Porygon-Z stand out, with their already impressive attacking stats and good movepools.

Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Knock Off

This sounds like a very offensive meta. Some pokemon of interest..
Genesect: protean genesect with download is gonna be a bitch
Prankster users: priority type change will be mental to deal with
Megazard x/y: awesome megas become awesomer
Megatoise/clauncer: protean+mega launcher..
Dragonite: stab espeed from that attack and bulk.
Aegislash/gengar: now get stab fighting moves
Conkeldurr: gods the possibility...
Something to watchout for is that using sr could result in death....

Even without Lucarionite, I can see Lucario being a major threat in this Metagame.
ExtremeKiller Luca
Lucario @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean + Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP or 252 HP / 252 Atk or something in between
Adamant/Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Shadow Claw / Coverage Move

This is basically standard Lucario except with Protean. Thanks to Protean, Lucario effectively gains STAB on Extreme Speed, which makes it almost as powerful as that of ExtremeKiller Arceus (110 Atk vs 120). Shadow Claw is used over Crunch because it turns you into Ghost type, which removes your Fighting weakness after you use Extreme Speed. Close Combat makes you resistant to Dark types after you turn into Ghost type (and get a +2 Justified), or you can always use Extreme Speed for a temporary immunity against faster Ghost, which regaining the STAB Shadow Claw next turn if they choose to stay in. Close Combat remains your most powerful attack, but Extreme Speed becomes you most spammable attacks.

And Shedinja should not gain Protean, it seems quite broken with Protect and Shadow Sneak spam, making it immune to any non residual damage.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Regarding Greninja, it shouldn't become Water/Water-type or something similar. Protean's effect is to change your type to match the move you last used. Water/Water would just add a type, not change it. Following that logic, Protean + Protean Greninja shouldn't gain an extra typing, and will remain pure Water-type. That also means Protean Greninja or Protean anything is redundant this meta.

As for broken stuff, we can only theorymon about it until the metagame is set up on the sim. At the moment, Shedinja will remain unbanned because of its vulnerability to residual damage giving it a fairly decent chance at being not broken, but if we get down to playing it and find that it is, it will be banned.

Joim how goes implementing this?

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
I believe Arcanine can pull off Extremespeed sets as well, except it may need to use Band or something else since it doesn't have SD to boost with, it also has Justified but Intimidate is generally the reason you would be using it, I suppose. And Flare Blitz.

Now, what I think will be interesting is the pokemon with good mixed attacking stats. For instance, Azelf. While it's slower than greninja, 115 speed is still pretty good and it has dual 125 offenses, and a decent arsenal of moves like Fire Blast, Thunderbolt/Thunder, elemental punches, explosion, etc and U-turn. Infernape falls into a similar boat, although his attacking stats are lower - he might actually get to use Acrobatics (with I dunno, some berry?). That extra power with fire stab might help dragons like Salamence and Hydreigon, who can just use Flamethrower if they ever need to get rid of their steels. But Fire Blast is still an option in case you really wanna roast them. And Hydreigon, althought it has high offensive stats, it's speed is a let down and it does not get Dragon Dance unlike Salamence, and Mence generally has better offensive stats put together with 135/110/100 over 105/125/98, is slightly bulkier with Intimidate, and is no longer 4x weak to priority if it uses a set up move, or something else like Fire Blast, which was the best reason to use Hydreigon as a Wallbreaker over it. And then there is Mew...

Basically, anything with high speed and offensive stats is gonna wreck in this meta, even with a limited movepool, a good movepool is just icing on top of the cake.

Arcanine can pull off Extremespeed sets as well
Entei w/cband/assvest
Adamant252atk/252spe
Sacredfire/Espeed/Bulldoze/Stoneedge
Protean entei is amazing with stab sacred fire+espeed. No boosting move & shallow movepool suxs balls though
And fyi, dragonite has the strongest espeed in the game
Dragonite w/leftys/cband
Multiscale
adamant/252atk/252
Espeed
Superpower/brickbreak
Dd/dragonclaw
Eq
Multiscale+protean is amazin: bulk+power

SpartanMalice

Y'all jokers must be crazy
Technically, Rayquaza does, but yeah. I mentioned Arcanine because he has Justified as well (and I initially thought he could also SD, I was wrong). I didn't mention Dragonite because it was mentioned earlier, Intimidate and Multiscale both help bulk wise, but they're different. Technically even though they're both SR weak, Intimidate is still useful to tank hits whereas you lose Multiscale after SR. Dragonite does make up for it with the extra power though, I suppose.

Arguably, Mega Absol has the stronger non-LO priority move in the game, with Sucker Punch, but the useful thing about Absol is it's equally high speed and special attack, combined with an extremely large movepool, and Magic Bounce, which I think makes it a great mon in this meta.

MoxieInfinite

Banned deucer.
Hyper-offense mons wth great coverage and speed will dominate this meta, and I sorta can‘t see this working unless Life Orb and Expert Belt gets nerfed in some way. Constant switching will also be thing, and entry hazards will be used a lot. Defense needs a buff for this to work, and I can't see how they'll get it.

Unfortunately I don't think this can be implemented on PS due to the fact that having multiple abilities is impossible.
This is false. If it wasn't possible, then Joim wouldn't have approved it, and he has. There are ways to code multiple abilities on the same 'mon, just look at Gen-Next, Zeral's pet mod, where in he gave some Pokemon Levitate intrinsically, so that they could also use another ability as well.

perplexingpool

Banned deucer.
There's also an OM called Wonkymons that has all Pokemon with 2 random abilities at the same time.
Sorry to go off-topic, but that is not what Wonkymons is. Wonkymons is a meta in which all Pokemon have been given two new random abilities that they can have. They don't get both abilities simultaneously.

Shedinja w/Safety goggles
Adamant/jolly
252atk252spe
Shadow sneak
Sucker punch/protect
Willowisp/endure/mud slap?
Toxic
This shedinja can be a bitch to take out if you dont have hazards. Safety goggles protect from hail/sand and powder moves which is nifty. Shadow sneak+suckerpunch/protect/endure has no common weakness so not much can really hit shedinja. Toxic/willowisp for status and mudslap for that annoyance factor. I'm not quite sure how bad this thing would be. Thought?

Shedinja @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Wonder Guard Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk
Jolly Nature
- Shadow Sneak
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic/Protect/Endure/Mud Slap
- Will-O-Wisp/Toxic/Protect/Endure/Mud Slap

This seems like a slightly better version. Just note that an opponent could try to predict using a move and try using a move that would strike it super-effectively (like using a fight-type move while it is a Ghost). Also falls to status moves (like Will-o-Wisp and Toxic). EJ190 This seems like a good idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)