Project PU Creative & Underrated Sets

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1680620527266.png

Banner by UberSkitty, approved by ishtar, format copied from MegaUltra

The purpose of this thread for you to drop all of your common, uncommon and creative sets. Pretty much anything is fine as long as it's cool and different. Please give at least a couple of sentences explaining what your set does and why it's interesting. Have fun posting and go wild!
I'll start us off with 2 things I used in PULT

:Bellibolt:
Bellibolt @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Electromorphosis
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 148 HP / 252 SpA / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Tera Blast
- Toxic
- Slack Off

Electromorphosis Bellibolt is, in my opinion, objectively silly and worse. However, if you're going to use it, Tera Grass lure sets are kinda reasonable at eliminating pesky Ground types and pressuring defensive teams that don't really want to let their Florges switch-in get Toxic'd. The moveset is a bit toggleable, as are the EVs (which currently outrun BU Scrafty but you can go bulkier and fatter or faster for Houndstone and Decidueye), the key here is really pulling things like Gastrodon, Golurk, Mudsdale, etc. and taking them out.
PULT vs sufys - just watch turn 1, it's all you need

:Pawmot:
Pawmot @ Zap Plate
Ability: Volt Absorb
Tera Type: Electric
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bulk Up
- Double Shock
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch

Did you know that if you Tera Electric you can keep spamming Double Shock without losing your electricity? It's fun! And strong! And I wish this thing was faster, or better vs Ground-types, or strong enough to destroy Bellibolt more convincingly, but yeah he's neat. Item and last moveslot and even ability could be changed, I can see merits to Iron Fist, Knock Off, LO or Lum, a whole bunch of things. There's probably lots of unexplored things to do with Pawmot, some might even be good.
+1 252 Atk Zap Plate Tera Electric Pawmot Double Shock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro-Galar: 322-380 (81.7 - 96.4%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 252 Atk Zap Plate Tera Electric Pawmot Double Shock vs. 252 HP / 200+ Def Florges: 418-492 (116.1 - 136.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
+1 252 Atk Zap Plate Tera Electric Pawmot Double Shock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tablets of Ruin Tera Poison Wo-Chien: 234-276 (62.5 - 73.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252 Atk Zap Plate Tera Electric Pawmot Double Shock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Fluffy Houndstone: 155-183 (44.5 - 52.5%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (not practical given wisp but damn this is impressive damage)

:grafaiai:
Meme Spoon (Grafaiai) @ Choice Band
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Fighting
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Low Kick / U-Turn / Parting Shot
- Copycat

I used this lil guy for the entirety of the PU Research Week back in April, because I am hell bent on becoming more deranged than any person on this website can imagine.

CB Graf is kinda cool; Gunk + Knock threatens a lot of the best mons in the tier, including all 3 of the best mons in the tier, and Low Kick bops the few steels that show up occasionally. The real meat of this set being here is Copycat; It grants a free way to check weakened Scarfers, weather abusers, or Trick Room users not named tier king Farigiraf because Prankster. Copycat is also a cool way to punish certain mons using predictable options; for example, pivoting out against a Vikavolt as it Sticky Webs nets you a free web yourself, copyacting a Tatsugiri Rapid Spin both gives you priority hazard removal but also has a good chance of killing given STAB on Spin and a Choice Band, so on so forth.

Graf itself also isn't terrible defensively, namely getting a free switch in against Florges and threatening an Encore (which you don't have), as well as almost every Tera Fairy in the tier. Decidueye cries whenever Graf is on screen, because it resists Grass, is completely immune to Polter and Sneak, and will just click Knock or Gunk in its face. Toxic Spikes aren't particularly common, but absorbing them is also nice.

Graf cannot sweep. It hits like a baby without a Band or a Swords Dance boost, all of its offensive options are hard stopped by either Steels or Ghosts, and its speed tier isn't great. CB gives it enough power to put a good dent in most things, flexing its ability to get in against Fairies for free to either click a STAB move or Knock, or to use Copycat in the mid to late game.

Oh, and CB Graf just keeps getting worse as more mons get added to the tier. Mudsdale at least has no recovery, but until it's chipped down Graf ain't cooking.

SD Copycat isn't an awful idea - I tried experimenting with it - but it turns into a tera hog and has to choose between hard losing to the Ghost/Grounds or losing to Steels by giving up Knock or Low Kick, respectively. Tera Blast on SD sets also was a horrid idea, even if that's the LC set I primarily use, because Graf even at +2 and with a STAB Fire or Grass Tera Blast struggles to actually kill targets.

I did a proper full-ish write up over here.

:flamigo:
Flamigo @ Scope Lens
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Cutter
- Tera Blast
- Focus Energy
- Roost

I think this set is different because it is really unexpected and has the ability to roost up vs mons like Scrafty that (ice/thunder punch) can't really do anything vs. it. It doesn't really hit the cool part but it's a flamingo so the cool part already exists. It also ignores calm mind boosting pokemon like Florges (it loses 1v1 but whatever). And yeah that's pretty much it I came up with this set in like less than 15 seconds so maybe I'll make a more serious creative set later once I have a better idea.

Solaris (Delphox) (M) @ Eject Pack
Ability: Magician
Tera Type: Psychic/Fire/Fighting
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Nasty Plot
- Psyshock
- Encore/Focus Blast

This set is a derivation of the usual Nasty Plot set, but it serves another purpose than just sweeping.
It serves as a fast one-time-pivot, which can get a different item back late with an attack. This way it disrupts the opponents mons by stealing their item with Magican.
Overheat + Psyshock can deal with almost all the mons in the tier and Nasty Plot + Encore gives it sweeping potential.

The only counters are really Scream Tail with its high SpDef and its resistance to psyshock and the rarer to see Houndoom, which you might want to use Focus Blast for. If you don't want to rely on Focus Miss, you could also use Tera Fighting, Tera Blast.
Packing Focus Blast instead of Encore just gives you overall more offensive coverage when matching into defensive mons like Coalossal.

Overall I experimented with this set when Delphox dropped to PU, but I haven't gotten too much success with it. Nonetheless I really really had so much fun with this set and maybe you do too (:

sugar ovens

blood inside
is a Top Tiering Contributor
:ss/frosmoth:
Frosmoth @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Scales
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Defog
- U-turn
- Stun Spore / Giga Drain / whatever

You could probably optimize this set's EVs / tera with some thought and meta knowledge. It's a neat pivot and hazard removal option, used to be better in previous meta but it's still decent. Ice Scales with investment allows it to comfortably take almost any special attack, the damage is good enough to force in walls to pivot out on, very good at spreading paralysis/ or giga drain for coverage and a good bit of extra longevity.

Going to bring a few sets to the table

:sv/meloetta:
Meloetta @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 76 Atk / 180 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Psychic
- Knock Off
Technically not a set I've used in PU, but I have used this in OU to good success, so it should definetely work well here. The evs were to ko kingambit with aria forme after you tera fighting from full, but you can adjust them as you like. This set aims to switch between meloetta's forms in order to be a devestating wall/stall breaker. It can do quite well in the right hands as for example you can use relic song to switch from aria to piroutte to resist u-turn or back in order to be neutral to fighting. Of course, relic song's 20% chance to sleep means opponents can potentially get screwed if you get lucky (though 1 proc usually happens per game, more if its a long one).

:sv/virizion:
Virizion @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Justified
Tera Type: Rock
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Synthesis
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
A personal favourite of mine, this set of virizion is not too creative, but it does do well. This utilises virizion's good special bulk to recover off the damage it takes from getting in and attacking. The combo of grass+fighting+rock is pretty devestating and can make it a good wallbreaker that is able to do good damage and not get worn down over time. Tera rock is to increase stone edge's power and get a flying resistance.

:sv/charizard:
Charizard @ Grassy Seed
Ability: Blaze
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Acrobatics
- Flare Blitz
- Brick Break
Although this was used before the most recent PU tier shifts, I still think this is a cool set. This is purely used on grassy terrain teams, where it excels. Charizard's unique type combo is great for g-terrain teams because it resists fire and bug, while helping against steel and bug types. It can get a dd off quite easily and with tera fighting, it can increase the power of brick break and resist rock type moves. Just a really good sweeper.

Reactions: MZ
hey, i had two techs from last round of PULT that went unseen, but i still wanted to share:

:golurk:
Golurk @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Iron Fist
Tera Type: Ghost
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Poltergeist / Shadow Punch

Golurk is really good at dismantling defensive cores in the current meta, and so i made this set to take advantage of some of the few answers it has, colbur berry making it able to take on faster knock off users/ dark types such as Bombirdier, Skuntank and Zoroark. shadow punch is awful but it's what i brought because i hate using poltergeist when i have knock users lmao.

:froslass:
Froslass (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Avalanche

personally, i find that avalanche is a really nice 4th move on froslass, suddenly having a negative priority move makes it very difficult for the opponent to outplay destiny bond. trading 1-for-1 with your suicide lead is incredibly valuable, and this gives you the best odds of doing it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)