Project PU Player Of The Week - Teddeh (Week 17)

TJ

Banned deucer.
is the Smogon Tour Season 34 Championis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion

Teddeh
Favorite Pokemon: Snorlax
Most used Pokemon: Clefairy or Skunktank
Most known for: I'm most known for being a tour player who is involved in PU, I was a pretty dominant tour player in gen 6 but simmer'd down in gen 7 - but have still done decently in terms of tours, just not as many wins as i'd have liked
TJ: Can you tell us a little bit about yourself outside of Smogon?
Teddeh: Hey my name is Andy, I'm a 20 year old (soon to be 21) International business with Italian student who attends uni in the UK. Outside of pokemon, i do a massive variety of activities. Most namely Cricket, Ultimate Frisbee, Swing dance, Ballroom and Latin dancing, Salsa and Bachata and outside of these physical activities, I go out with my friends or girlfriend pretty much every day and do the typical student activities such as drinking or cooking. Before Smogon was a thing, I used to play competitive call of duty also, so in general i'm a very competitive person.

TJ: Nice. Where did you get your name from?
Teddeh: The name Teddeh stems from Teddehbear - which was a big inside joke my best friend and I had when I was 12 or 13. One day on Xbox Live, I thought it would be a great idea for someone to be killed by a Teddehbear, so I changed my name to it - then from there joined a variety of teams and clans on xbox live using it as my tag - then continued using Teddeh as my "internet name" for the time being now 8-9 years later

TJ: Cool! What brought you to PU and competitive Pokemon in general?
Teddeh: I stumbled across a wilechase video on youtube one day - saw competitive pokemon from there and moved onto other youtubers like pokeaim. Decided when I was around 15 i would go and see what pokemon showdown was about and built some awful teams on the ladder. By the time gen 6 rolled around i joined the NU scene and managed to establish myself within the community. When PU was made, I played a lot of XY pu when musharna was a thing - then concentrated on NU at the time - only to follow it up by joining the PU community fully around the ORAS period when I began to enter tours and do well, winning some tournaments, going 6-0 in pupl - eventually making council and the rest is history.

TJ: Thoughts on the SM PU metagame? Is anything else suspect worthy atm?
Teddeh: The SM PU metagame is in a weird place at the moment. My thoughts on the tier for a while have been that the tier suffers from a lack of defensive pokemon for my playstyle preference and that there are just too many threats for the tier to handle, hence the influx of bans of pokemon like archeops and magmortar (2 of my favourite pokemon :psycry: ). But I think there are a few more candidates of pokemon that could be gone - such as aurorus, kingler and maybe even lilligant. Aurorus and kingler being priority 1 though. But if we get a cool few drops in the next shifts, it would be nice.

TJ: What is your favorite playstyle?
Teddeh: I think everyone knows this at this point but it has to be balance. It's the playstyle that gives you the best opportunity for outplaying - i'd rather not risk a bad match up if i back myself to out-predict my opponent. So having a solid defensive backbone and breakers (like balance is) is what I enjoy using most, though most may think i'm boring.

TJ: Do you think theres anything relatively unexplored in USM / ORAS PU?
Teddeh: I think that generally speaking oras pu has been explored enough - nor have i touched that meta in a while outside of the bo3 tournament where it's still the first round so i'm recycling teams. However for sm pu there are still loads of options available for people to explore. I think kecleon is a great mon at the moment that's really fun and also jumpluff being the other. Access to strength sap makes it such a fun mon and annoying one at that.

TJ: What are your thoughts on PU potentially being included in Snake / Grand Slam?
Teddeh: I've already made a post in the discussion thread - but the general jist of my post is that the PU council / community have worked very hard into getting their spot in an official tournament for trophies. As a guy who has played a lot of tiers in a lot of tournaments, I would have to say PU is one of my favourites and it would be an excellent fit. It's about time that the tier be given the opportunity it has been working hard to get :heart:

TJ: As someone with a respectable amount of accomplishments, what would your recommendations to newer/less successful users be?
Teddeh: I think when I have been most successful at this game, it's when I worked very hard and had a lot of free time to put into my prep. I spent hours on the ladder making sure I got to #1, I have probably built over 4000 teams during my time on this website over the 5 years, very very rarely using teams made by other people. There's no "easy way" to get to be successful other than trying harder than anyone else, practicing more, and trying to get a good read on people. If you want to be better than someone else, you gotta take the initiative and be the person to step out of the norm. Examples of this for me are using things like chinchou / defensive swanna / defensive machoke in Oras pu, using sliggoo and clefairy in oras nu, trying to get an edge on the norm and give myself whatever edge it could be when establishing myself. When it comes to actually playing tour matches though, the key is to relax and get yourself in the right mindset

TJ: Who are some of your favorite people on Smogon?
Teddeh: My favourite people on this website... there are far too many people. Honourable mentions go to HJAD, yogi, dibs, Taskr, Realistic Waters, poh, Dundies, honchkrow , Shaneghoul, Anty and Tricking for being my closest buds on this website. Then my forza rhydonia, sharks buddies, pu council buddies, the pu and nu comm, generally there are way too many to name

TJ: Who do you fuckin hate in smogon?
Teddeh: I absolutely hate TJ. jk! there isn't really anyone I hate, though I don't like people who cheat

TJ: Who do you think are some good up-and-coming PU players?
Teddeh: I'm not really sure about some up and coming players as I have been away from the community for a while, but some players who i enjoy watching and playing pu are dibs and HJAD. Both are very inventive builders and whatever they work with, i enjoy. I like to see Taskr do well too :)

TJ: Favorite food/ snack?
Teddeh: Favourite food is spaghetti carbonara, literally make it 2-3 times a week

TJ: Do you like PU or NU more?
Teddeh: I think at the moment I much prefer NU as it has a lot more viable defensive options such as slowbro, steelix, rhydon etc, so i have found a lot of success in the tier, especially after spl

TJ: What kind of music do you listen to?
Teddeh: I listen to loads of different genres of music - mainly Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith, Logic, then anything from sum 41 to bowling for soup, then regaeton like manuel turizo

TJ: Are there any games coming out this year you're looking forward to?
Teddeh: Not really, I haven't looked at any games coming out, though I am anticipating black ops 4 in November when i can actually play ps4 at uni!!!

TJ: Finally can you provide for us a team that you think reflects your current playstyle with a brief explanation of how it works?
Teddeh:

Weezing @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic Spikes
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sludge Bomb
- Flamethrower

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 224 SpA / 84 SpD / 160 Spe
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Whirlpool
- Heal Bell

Skuntank @ Black Sludge
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Sucker Punch
- Poison Jab
- Crunch

Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Hyper Beam

Lycanroc @ Lycanium Z
Ability: Sand Rush
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Accelerock
- Drill Run

This team is a team that sums up my playstyle preference pretty well; solid back bone, hazard removal, good type synergy, excellent reliability, and has a good match up vs most things.
Thanks for your time! As always, if you guys have any questions feel free to ask them below! :blobthumbsup:

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Any other PU people you would like to meet irl?
What do you think is the greatest argument in favor of keeping Ubers in Slam/Snake and excluding PU?
Can you give us back Pilo Qwil Altaria Miltank and Palo back? Thank you much!
Which of these would you be most excited for? PU Classic, PU Ladder Tour, PU Seeded Tour, PU Theorymon
Favorite soda (pop)?

Favourite alcoholic drink?
Most likely to get so drunk they can't walk during the meet up?
Top 3 oras pu?

Hi Teddeh!

In Oras PU, I loved the core (Mawille + Lanturn + Xatu), but it worked very well thanks to Bpass in mawille to create moment, would you agree to a return of baton pass to metagames for that use and not pass status?

Any other PU people you would like to meet irl?
What do you think is the greatest argument in favor of keeping Ubers in Slam/Snake and excluding PU?
Can you give us back Pilo Qwil Altaria Miltank and Palo back? Thank you much!
Which of these would you be most excited for? PU Classic, PU Ladder Tour, PU Seeded Tour, PU Theorymon
Favorite soda (pop)?
I'd like to meet the Italians so they can make me some authentic italian homecooked food :) excluding anyone from the Brit meetup this summer!
I would like to think the greatest argument in favour of keeping out either is the community's reaction to either one not being picked, it would make it a really unpleasant feeling towards either tier.
I don't use these pokemon!
I'd like the PU seeded tour most because the others require either a lot of work or aren't that interesting to me :)
tea, coffee or hot chocolate
I'd probably say coffee now, i've started drinking it a lot more !!
Favourite alcoholic drink?
Most likely to get so drunk they can't walk during the meet up?
Top 3 oras pu?
Depends on the occasion - if i am pre-drinking to go out to town, it's a vodka and energy drink of sorts, usually monster or red bull... If it's to enjoy a beverage, it'd be an old mout cider passionfruit and apple or any old mout - they're so damn tasty - but too much money / too sweet to drink to actually get drunk on
definitely yogi - this man chats so much shit, he wouldn't even realise he's necking drinks hahaha
in an unbiased way - 1 Teddeh 2 Dundies 3 HJAD - We did the most during oras and I would like to say I shaped the meta more than anyone else.
Hi Teddeh!

In Oras PU, I loved the core (Mawille + Lanturn + Xatu), but it worked very well thanks to Bpass in mawille to create moment, would you agree to a return of baton pass to metagames for that use and not pass status?
Well xatu and lanturn never went to pu, and dry passing is okay... but the complex bans got too complex - so i am okay with a full ban. Statpassing was seriously gay though

I'd like to meet the Italians so they can make me some authentic italian homecooked food :) excluding anyone from the Brit meetup this summer!
I would like to think the greatest argument in favour of keeping out either is the community's reaction to either one not being picked, it would make it a really unpleasant feeling towards either tier.
I don't use these pokemon!
I'd like the PU seeded tour most because the others require either a lot of work or aren't that interesting to me :)

I'd probably say coffee now, i've started drinking it a lot more !!

Depends on the occasion - if i am pre-drinking to go out to town, it's a vodka and energy drink of sorts, usually monster or red bull... If it's to enjoy a beverage, it'd be an old mout cider passionfruit and apple or any old mout - they're so damn tasty - but too much money / too sweet to drink to actually get drunk on
definitely yogi - this man chats so much shit, he wouldn't even realise he's necking drinks hahaha
in an unbiased way - 1 Teddeh 2 Dundies 3 HJAD - We did the most during oras and I would like to say I shaped the meta more than anyone else.

Well xatu and lanturn never went to pu, and dry passing is okay... but the complex bans got too complex - so i am okay with a full ban. Statpassing was seriously gay though
really!!
I confused with Nu

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)