Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perma Rain or Perma Sun?

Rain

-increases the damage of Water-type moves by 50%

-causes Fire-type moves to do half damage

-Thunder is 100% accurate and can hit through Protect and Detect 30% of the time

-Solarbeam has a base power of 60

-Moonlight, Morning Sun, and Synthesis heal 1/4 of the user's maximum HP

-Pokémon with the Swift Swim ability have double Speed

-Pokémon with the Forecast ability become Water-type

-Pokémon with the Hydration ability are able to heal themselves of status effects at the end of each turn

-Pokémon with the Dry Skin ability heal 12.5% of the user's max HP every turn

-Pokemon with the Rain Dish ability heal 6.25% of their max HP every turn

-the move Weather Ball becomes the Water type and has a base power of 100.

Sun

-increases the damage of Fire-type moves by 50%

-causes Water-type moves to do half damage

-Thunder is 50% accurate

-Solarbeam has no charge turn

-Moonlight, Morning Sun, and Synthesis heal 2/3 of the user's maximum HP

-no Pokémon can be Frozen while the sunlight is active

-Pokémon with the Chlorophyll ability have double Speed

-Pokémon with the Forecast ability become Fire-type

-Pokémon with the Leaf Guard ability are unaffected by status inducing moves

-Pokémon with the Flower Gift ability and its partner in 2v2 have an increase in stats

-at the end of each turn, Pokémon with the Dry Skin or Solar Power abilities lose 1/8 HP, the latter getting a 50% special attack power boost

-the move Weather Ball becomes the Fire type and has a base power of 100.

Probably rain as there are alot of swiftswimmers to choose from while sun has few pokemon with chlorophyll which are good.The whole point of rain most of the time is to get in a powerful sweeper with swiftswim and sweep the oppoenet's team with STAB water attack and thunder.Likewise for sun but instead it's solerbeam and Stab fire but there are more water pokemon in total and evn more with swiftswim.

I would have to say rain. Although there are sun has more benefits, there are not much threatening pokemon that have abilities that utilize the sun. Rain is for offensive while sun is for defense. I would say sun for STAB fire moves, but Kingdra is really threatening in rain.

Well, depends on tier.

In OU: Definitely the Rain: Swift Swimmers are so much better (Kingdra rapes things), and Grass+Fire has horrible coverage.

In Ubers: Rain is the foundation of Ubers Offense. Sun is the foundation of Ubers Stall. It's easier to abuse Rain than it is to abuse Sun, as Kyogre in the Rain, combined with Palkia, can defeat anything.

In UU: I have no expertise in UU, but from reading RMT's, it's pretty obvious that players prepare for Rain more than they prepare for the sun.

I lied. It doesn't depend on tier.

Game Freak, we need some good sun sweepers in Gen 5!

At the moment, Rain is better. There's just so many more mons that take advantage of rain. But, if in the future, there exist an equal amount of rain users and sun users, then the Sun would probably be better. The advantages that sun users have in the sun will overpower the advantages that rain users have in the rain. (mainly the extra healing)

No question, RAIN.

Rain Sweepers like Kingdra get boosted STAB and doubled speed (water types).

Sun Sweepers get boosted STAB (fire types) or doubled speed (grass types).

Rain wins.

Definitely rain. (By the way, you should probably have put a poll up, OP) There are far more viable rain sweepers than sun sweepers (Kingdra, Kabutops, Ludicolo etc. vs. Tangrowth, Cherrim, Exeggutor etc.)

Hmm, im actually undecided. The main reason why rain is broken is the swift swimmers get the stab boost. But isnt a cresselia with 66% recovery just as threatening? Also the chlorophyll users do miss out on "double stab" but the boost on fire moves does give it high powered coverage.

Yeah, rain pretty much is better but i wouldnt say "hands down".

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I would say rain because Fire-types are just more nerfed nowadays. Stealth Rock can severely hamper Sun teams for one. Also, it's much more likely that you'll see an opposing team with a bulky Water-type that can easily handle fire-type sweepers than you'll see a team with a bulky... grass-type. I know Celebi is common but besides him...?

Also, most Sun sweepers (Cholorophyll users) don't even benefit from the Fire-type move boost (ex. Tangrowth, Exeggutor), all they do is become bait for enemy fire moves... Pretty much anything that benefits from Rain (Kingdra, Qwilfish, Ludicolo.... etc) has STAB water to take full advantage of the increase in damage.

like most had said,rain.why?not only that it boosts the power of water moves but pokemon with swift swim will threaten a sweep espacailly in the UU tier where theres more swift swimmers than any other tier

rain also decrese the power of fire moves that means stuff like SD scizor/luke can set up with no trouble

the sun isnt as threatening as the rain because water has the best neutral coverage in the game.not like fire has much netrual coverage as water.most water types that benifit from he rain have ethier swift swim or hydration(in the case of manaphy in ubers and dewgong in NU)in order to increse their sweeping/walling potential

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rain wins, hands down.

First, rain sweepers all get the STAB boost and doubled speed at the same time. With the Sun, you get only one or the other.

Second, Water is a better attacking type than Grass.

Third, most Rain sweepers beat Tyranitar one on one, so he can ruin the party only once. Now while Tyranitar is also weak to Grass types, they usually carry Solarbeam, and hence get their STAB move ruined.

With powerful threats such as kingdra taking advantage of the boost to there speed and to there water type moves in the rain whilst it's one or the other for sunny day users. Rain powns the sun.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
This is looking like a very one-sided poll and we already have an active perma-weather based discussion so I'm gonna have to let this one go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)