ORAS OU Rain Team

I decided to make one of my first teams a rain team. Help is greatly appreciated.

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic
- Encore
- Rest

Politoed is the rain setter of my team. I've opted to make him focused more on bulk so he's less likely to be OHKO'd with only being able to activate Drizzle once as even with a damp rock it's not very long relatively speaking. His moveset is standard, relying on rest to heal off any damage or status conditions, Toxic to surprise switch-ins, Encore to give one of the other Pokemon time to set up if needed, and Scald to intimidate Pokemon who wouldn't appreciate the chance of a burn.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
IVs: 0 Atk
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

As was suggested to me I've decided to try Latios in place of the Feraligatr I was using in the previous line-up. Latios serves to alleviate some of the Pressure on Thundurus as a means of getting rid of some of the more common threats to the team as well as serving as a means of clearing entry-hazards with Defog. His EV spread and Nature focus on his being a fast special attacker with a little bit of investment in SpecialDefense. His moveset consists of Dracometeor as his primary attack as it is a near-certain KO STAB move, while Psyshock is there to threaten Special walls that could otherwise take a Draco Meteor, Roost is there to heal off any Life Orb recoil, and Defog serves to remove entry hazards that could pose a threat to the rest of the team.

Kabutops @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet

Kabutops is the revenge killer of the team. His EV spread, Life Orb, and Nature maximize his effectiveness as a sweeper while Swift Swim allows him to outspeed many threats that could intimidate M-Swampert with its relative slowness. His moveset consists of Waterfall his primary STAB that can OHKO most offensive Pokemon with a Life Orb boost and Rain up, Stone Edge is his secondary STAB that provides good coverage as well, Swords Dance is included to make him an even greater offensive threat to the opposition, and Aqua Jet is there for revenge killing.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Focus Blast

Thundurus fulfills the role of the supporting attacker. Life Orb coupled with his EV spread and Nature make him a threat to most of the more common threats to the team while Prankster allows him to use Thunder Wave effectively as a means of crippling opposing sweepers who may have otherwise outsped him or other members of the team. For his moveset he has Thunder Wave to compliment his ability Prankster, Thunderbolt as a reliable STAB move with good coverage against most Water or Flying types, Hidden Power Ice to account for the Dragon and Ground types that may occasionally crop up as well as the rare Grass-type, and Focus Blast serves as a coverage option for Dark Steel and other Electric types.

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock

Swampert, along with Kabutops, forms the main offensive core of the team. Swampert is the resident wall-breaker and bulky sweeper. EV spread and Nature augment his sweeping capabilities while Swift Swim as Mega Swampert make him one of the most threatening Pokemon my team has to offer in rain. His moveset consists of Waterfall as his primary STAB as it hits for incredible damage in rain, Earthquake serves as a secondary STAB and coverage move serving as his heaviest hitting move when rain isn't up, Ice Punch is a good coverage move for Grass and Dragon types, and Stealth Rock is to help set up an entry hazard.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 108 Spe
Bold Nature
- Recover
- Seed Bomb
- Baton Pass
- Swords Dance

Celebi was suggested as a replacement for Ferrothorn, and after considering both Pokemon I've chosen Celebi as I felt it could serve the team well as a Baton Pass user. EV spread and Nature make Celebi bulky enough to take a hit while remaining fast enough to set up a Swords Dance, Leftovers help with some of the damage Celebi is bound to take and Natural Cure gets rid of Status Conditions that could otherwise hinder Celebi. Its moveset is made up of Recover serving as its most reliable means of recovery, Seed Bomb to deal with Keldeo and other threats, Swords Dance to make Seed Bomb more threatening to Pokemon that can't afford to take a STAB grass move, and Baton Pass to pass on Swords Dance's boost to Swampert or Kabutops.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mur

If you're not first you're last
Hey man cool team I always love a good rain team! I think your initial core or swamp+kabu is good so I wouldn't change too much there although if you wish to change something I would most likely swap kabutops for lo mixed kingdra but it is not necessary choose whatever you like better. One change I would absolutely make though would be swapping feraligatr for latios. Bulky grasses like Mvenu and amoongus pretty much wall your whole team right now and you also have no hazard removal which can prove to be detrimental in any elongated matches. Latios not only solves both of these problems but also adds on another solid keldeo check for the team so some of the pressure on thundy to check a multitude of various threats is relieved a little bit.

Since you seem to be undecided on your ferrothorn moveset I'l help you out a little with what I suggest fits the team best. Stealth rock is a definite over spikes since it is the overall better hazard and setting up multiple layers of spikes feels like a waste when you just defog them away anyways. Leech seed is mandatory like you have said so obviously keep that. Gyro ball is a must need to hit the vast number of fast mons in the tier so ferrothorn can have a bit more offensive presence, it also helps check weavile which is a massive threat to them team(when rain is not up ofc). The last slot would have to go to power whip in my opinion. The last thing you want is Mgyara setting up a sub and dding with the rain up and cm keldeo can be an annoyance even with latios so power whip allows you to reliably prevent these threats from setting up and threatening the team.

Solid team hope I helped :] I'l leave the changes in the tab below and also, welcome to smogon n_n

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

If you wanna replace kabu

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Rash Nature
- Waterfall
- Outrage
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Alkov

plopping
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hey there really nice rain team you have there but you might need a little bit more description on each individual Pokemon so as to not get your thread locked. Anyway, I have some suggestions to help improve the team n_n
  • Firstly, I realized that your rain team lacks a better check to opposing water types like
    that has a fighting type coverage. Your only means of killing it is through
    which gets worn down by Stealth Rocks and Life Orb recoil way too quickly. Instead, I would recommend using
    over
    to help provide a counter to
    while still having utilities such as Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, Baton Pass/U-turn and Recover.

• Secondly, I do realize that your team has no means of breaking through an opposing
    apart from using Superpower/FocusBlast from
    /
    /
    which doesn't even OHKO and risks getting knocked out by a Power Whip. I would definitely suggest replacing
    to things like
    or
    as they are 2 things that provides your team a way to deal with
    and also

• Lastly, I would definitely stick with Encore on
    instead of Sleep Talk. Also, I realized that the 96SpDef EVs allows you to reach 200Speed which doesn't really serve any purpose, I would instead have that 96EVs placed into having more bulk so that Politoed can come in on more occasions to set up the rain.

Hope it helps n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)