SM OU Rain Team

Hello everyone! This is my first post on this thread but I have been playing a lot of competitive Pokémon since gen 4. I decided to make a rain team and have tested it out for about 3 days. The things I’ve had the most problems with has been other rain teams, mons that set up like Zygarde and Tapu/Lucha cores. Other than that I can find success by making prediction switches and late game sweeps with Mega Swampert.

Pelipper (M) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Hurricane

Standard smogon EV spread. The main staple for any rain team to set up rain without any effort. Scald is for a rain powered water type move that can burn anything that might wall Pelliper. U-turn creates a Volt-turn core with Koko and Pellipers speed allows for other mons to get in safely. I used hurricane for the extra damage since I have defog on Latios.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Standard smogon move set and EV spread. Other rain teams can be handled somewhat well with Koko with the 100% thunders and voltswitch. Z-Thunder is for hitting anything that isn’t immune very hard. VoltSwitch then keeps the momentum by switching into anything else after being pressured.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed

I needed something that can switch in for Swampert since Tangrowth was a problem. Ferrothorn can wall any grass types that threaten Swampert and set up leech seed on mons that aren’t immune for support on Swampert when it gets low HP.

Swampert-Mega (M) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Ice Punch

My main late game sweeper. Either I use him really early to switch in for electric types that force out Pelliper and make a big dent in everything or really late where I can OHKO the rest of the enemy team. Ice Punch is for Garchomps that force out Koko.

Greninja (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 236 Atk / 20 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Grass Knot

I used to have a specs Ash-Greninja here for rain boosted Water Shurikens and Hydro Pumps. Like I said in the intro Koko/Luha cores and other rain teams were a problem. Gunk Shot and Grass Knot OHKO Koko and Swampert. Although this set hasn’t been tested yet the other Ash-Greninja felt lackluster and didn’t accomplish much. Since I have Ice Punch and HP ice on Swampert and Koko I’m wondering if water shuriken or Hydro Pump would be better for a rain boosted attack.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunder Wave
- Defog

Entry hazards are annoying for me so a defogger would be very nice. Since I have no recovery aside from Roost and Leech Seed, poison types or poison spikes are a big problem. Latios offers the support for Pelliper to keep it alive while also providing coverage woth Psyshock. I’m still also wondering what item to run here.

Knowing what to do when someone starts to set up on me and when to switch and use what could be the biggest problem solver for me. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Algeria

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii~
I think play Tapunium Z > Electrium Z will be a good idea because your team is a rain so your biggest problems are the grass pokemons like ferrothorn,tangrowth,bulu..
That z move could be a good idea to weaken them and also clean the game with Swampert for example.

Tapu-Koko @ Tapunium Z
Ability: Electric surge
Evs: 64 HP / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- Thunder
- Nature Madness
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-Turn

Leftovers Ferrothorn > Rocky helmet
His recovery is really important in a rain.

Grass Knot Greninja is a good idea but it’s not for swampert principally.
It is played for Gastrodon who is a nightmare for Rains so good idea.

Same thing for Swampert Ice punch isn’t played for Garchomp but for Bulky Grass pokemon like Tapu Bulu/Tangrowth..

Also,I think you can play Aqua Tail > Waterfall on Swampert because that 2HKO Skarmory who wall nearly half of the teams and can setup spikes easily on your defogger.It helps for Scizor too.

Finally for the Latios I can’t say if that set is good or no.Just try it with these changes and if it doesn’t work
I suggest you to play Greninja-Ash Specs and turn the latios scarf.

Edit: Sorry for the sprites I can’t show them.
Probably because of a bug on my part.

I think play Tapunium Z > Electrium Z will be a good idea because your team is a rain so your biggest problems are the grass pokemons like ferrothorn,tangrowth,bulu..
That z move could be a good idea to weaken them and also clean the game with Swampert for example.

Tapu-Koko @ Tapunium Z
Ability: Electric surge
Evs: 64 HP / 192 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature
- Thunder
- Nature Madness
- Hidden Power Ice
- U-Turn

Leftovers Ferrothorn > Rocky helmet
His recovery is really important in a rain.

Grass Knot Greninja is a good idea but it’s not for swampert principally.
It is played for Gastrodon who is a nightmare for Rains so good idea.

Same thing for Swampert Ice punch isn’t played for Garchomp but for Bulky Grass pokemon like Tapu Bulu/Tangrowth..

Also,I think you can play Aqua Tail > Waterfall on Swampert because that 2HKO Skarmory who wall nearly half of the teams and can setup spikes easily on your defogger.It helps for Scizor too.

Finally for the Latios I can’t say if that set is good or no.Just try it with these changes and if it doesn’t work
I suggest you to play Greninja-Ash Specs and turn the latios scarf.

Edit: Sorry for the sprites I can’t show them.
Probably because of a bug on my part.
thanks so much, I’ll be testing out these changes, at first glance they do make it look more promising :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)