ORAS UU Rate my first Sticky Web team

Hilomilo

High-low My-low
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
So I was thinking of trying something new with the Salamence ban, since a lot of my offensive teams were built around the thing. I figured giving Sticky Web a try, since I realized that some of UU's biggest threats like Mamoswine and Gyarados could become even more terrifying through the speed drops of their opponents (as both are relatively average in terms of speed). I tried making a team of mons that could benefit from sticky web and have good synergy with one another, so let me know how you guys think I did! Advice is welcome from anyone.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Sticky Web
- Infestation
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Shuckle is my preferred pokemon to set up webs with, as the prevalence of spinners and defoggers in the current UU meta requires for either spinning control or the ability to set up hazards more than once. While I'll get to spinning control later, I think it's safe to say that with its absurdly high defenses and mental herb, Shuckle can lay down sticky web again if it has to most of the time. The combination of infestation and toxic is used to break down walls such as Blissey, put threats to my team on a timer, and bring one of my pokemon into a trapped opponent that they check, and stealth rock is used when there isn't anything in danger of KOing shuckle or removing its hazards, and depending on how effected the opposing team is by rocks. If it is needed, Shuckle can also be switched into physical attacks from the likes of threats such as Toxicroak and Infernape.

Mamoswine @ Life Orb
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash
- Knock Off

Mamoswine is the first pokemon that comes to my mind in terms of mons that become huge threats with webs down. It's role is as a physical sweeper/wallbreaker, that's granted speed through webs. Earthquake and Icicle Crash are powerful stabs with nearly unmatched coverage, and are used to rip holes in any kind of team, and ice shard is used to guarantee KOs and revenge kill the likes of Hydreigon and Krookodile. Knock off is what I use when predicting switch-ins to Mamoswine's common checks like Porygon2 and Cresselia, who really don't appreciate losing eviolite or leftovers.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Baton Pass
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Sylveon, in my opinion, is another pokemon that while already quite threatening, becomes a true monster with webs down. Choice Specs is used alongside pixilated hyper voice to give Sylveon great wall breaking capabilities and clean early, mid, or late game. Baton pass is used to predict switches that can't be dealt with and to keep momentum, and hidden power fire and psyshock are coverage options used to better deal with steel and poison types. While Sylveon isn't expected to take many physical hits, its naturally solid hp and special defense stats allow it to come in on some resisted and neutral special attackers, such as Hydreigon and Heliolisk.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Gyarados is one of the pokemon on my team that is notably less dependent than others on sticky web if it wants to sweep. Due to its fair speed and bulk provided by my EV investments, its able to get in either a substitute or dragon dance against most pokemon with exception of electric types, which I'm able to switch Mamoswine into. Dragon dance and substitute are obviously used to turn Gyarados into a threatening sweeper, as it's incredibly hard to stop after about two boosts. Waterfall is a strong stab attack, and earthquake is coverage for things that can switch into waterfall such as Heliolisk, Roserade and Tentacruel. Substitute is used against bulky waters barring roarcune to guarantee a few turns of setup and better deal with the things that give this Gyarados set a little harder of a time. Grass types that resist both of Gyarados' stabs can be a pain, as can Hydreigon, but enough DD boosts are sometimes enough to take healthy chunks of their damage before they can do the same to Gyarados.

Chandelure @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Trick
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball

Chandelure is another specs user on my team that can both become a huge threat with webs down, and acts as a reliable switch-in to spinners Sylveon checks (while Sylveon can switch into some of its weaknesses as well). Trick is used as lure for switch-ins such as Alomomola and Blissey, and fire blast and shadow ball are stabs that are extremely powerful with specs and when their nearly unresisted coverage is considered. Energy ball is used when switch ins such as Mega Swampert or another water type, as most will be ohkoed or crippled by the attack.

Celebi @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Zen Headbutt
- Seed Bomb
- Sucker Punch
My final pokemon and another Wincon is Celebi, which due to its great speed stat, is also able to sweep through teams without web support. While physical attack setup makes Celebi a harder scald switch-in, it can be deadly if it's to avoid the burn. Swords Dance is for set up, and zen headbutt and seed bomb are powerful boosted or unboosted stabs that with life orb, allow Celebi to ohko Krookodile, Crobat and many more. Sucker punch is an odd choice, but it allows Celebi to surprise its threats in scarfed Chandelure and Trick Room Reuniclus. Due to its weakness to Hydreigon, I am often able to switch Sylveon into any potential threat the thing might pose on Celebi.

Team Weaknesses:
Entry Hazards
: Due to my team's already average overall speed, it itself can fall victim to a webs sweep and is reliant on Gyarados when webs are down against us. Stealth rock also takes 25% from Chandelure, Gyarados and Shuckle and spikes is never a good thing.

Bulky Water Types: While my team has some ways of dealing with bulky waters, Celebi absolutely needs swords dance boosts if its burned, and Gyarados, while resistant to scald, also doesn't enjoy a burn. As for the rest of my team, everything else but Sylveon takes super effective damage from water type attacks, which makes Sylveon a shaky switch in to a move that can cripple my team.

Well, let me know what you guys think and what I can do to improve my team! I've really enjoyed making it and using it, and hope I can get help to make this webs team even better. Thanks for reading!

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi.
  • Encore > Infestation on Shuckle is a good start to improving your team. Infestation doesn't really do much in hindsight since it's damage over time which isn't permanent and the trapping feature isn't too useful on teams like this either whereas the Encore utility to bring in your wallbreakers is much more useful overall.
  • 4 SpD > 4 HP on Chandelure is probably a good idea to increase the number of switch-ins to Stealth Rock.
  • I think having Toxicroak > Celebi might be a good idea as it retains your switch-in to bulky Water-types while also not being affected by Burn and having priority to help with faster threats. Toxicroak is a better choice than Celebi here, in my opinion, as it helps you break through Snorlax a lot easier while also being able to heal when switching into Scald instead of just getting worn down + getting burnt.
  • Should you think Empoleon is really annoying I would consider having Superpower > Knock Off on Mamoswine, although the lack of other users of Knock Off and the utility that comes with the move could prove a lot more useful so this is mostly optional.
  • This is more of a side note than anything else since I'm not 100% familiar with the intricacies of the team but I think you can consider Aerodactyl > Gyarados since this team really needs a Flying-resist I feel and I dont know where else it can fit in.
Toxicroak @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Low Kick / Dry Skin
- Gunk Shot
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Typical Swords Dance Toxicroak. Drain Punch gives you more longevity and consistent damage whereas Low Kick helps you hit specific targets for slightly more, such as Snorlax and Swampert, which could be useful.

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Hone Claws
- Earthquake
- Wing Attack

OK so you can honestly switch up EQ and Wing Attack with a lot of other moves like Crunch, Aqua Tail, Fire Fang, etc. Depends on your preference on what you'd rather hit honestly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)