SM OU Rate my Rain team please

Plz help new to comp. pokemon. Love this rain team so far, looking to see if there are any improvements.

Papa Seagull (Pelipper) @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog/Hurricane
I chose peiliper over politoad because of its typing, offering roost for healing and extending its life for more rain settling, and also it can offer more stab (ex. hurricane, 100% accur. with drizzle). Because of it's tankyness (kinda) and also because of uturn, it can really make sure that you have the team momentum with you and not waste a turn doing nothing but switching. the damp rock is a must for any rain team.

Seahorsies (Kingdra) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Hidden Power [Electric]
I chose kingdra because of its sky high sp.Att and high variety of stab. did i also mention the power of swift swim? And the draco meteor is just for breaking down tanky pokemon with that 130 power stab.

Big Fins (Swampert) @ Swampertite
Ability: Damp
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
I chose swampert for the tankyness and pure power with eq 100pw stab and 4 time resist to fire. stone edge for flying types.

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
Tapu koko for the 100% thunder with elec. terrain. Also dazzling gleam for fairy stab. U-turn just for safety, making sure i don't waste a turn. Grass knot im not sure about this switch if you like.

Araquanid @ Choice Band
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 244 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Lunge
Araquanid for killing grass types or when there is a rock type on oppenet and not safe for pelipper lead. Liquidation and lunge for stab and poision jab for fairy types defending my seahorse. leech life for heals.
*cant find gif for you*

Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Horn leech
- Stone edge
- Superpower
- Wood Hammer
Tapu bulu is just tank stall with leech seed and also breaking normal types with break break. horn leech was a somewat more effective life steal than leech seed. wood hammer for the stab, super power for more effectiveness.

Last edited:
Hey InfluxGamerYT! I've been looking through a couple of rates and found this to be pretty interesting since it is a rain team with an interesting breaker that is Araquanid. I do like the idea, but the team needs some polish. I will explain what the problems are and why they are problems, name some additional threats, and try to cover them.

Overview:
So first things first, I absolutely love the idea of using Araquanid in rain, it gives the team an additional Heatran counter as well as an Ash-Greninja check. The main issue I see with the team is that some spreads and sets just don't make sense to me. Let's take the Araquanid spread for example: What do all of the 4 investments to for you except for taking away EV's for the more stats? I also don't get the Tapu Bulu on the team, or at least its set. Why do you need it if you run Leftovers 4 attacks on it? Another weird thing I have noticed is that you lack Stealth Rock which is essencial for every team, without any exceptions. Also, I think you meant to put certain sets in your RMT, but ended up with other moves (Mentioned Leech Seed although Horn Leech is the set; U-Turn although Volt Switch is shown), so I would keep an eye on that too because that could confuse quite a few people.
What is your team weak to?
:
You cannot lead with Pelipper or otherwise that Pokémon will just a get a kill versus your team. Leading off with Tapu Koko isn't an option either since Tapu Lele is usually slower than it so Psychic Terrain will go up and you will miss out on the Electric-Terrain-Boost. The other Pokémon are slower if rain isn't up so Tapu Bulu and Araquanid are your only lead choices, which is bad enough. But apart from that, once it comes in again on Pokémon like Tapu Bulu, which I consider a huge momentum drain on the team, Tapu Lele is bound to get a kill. And especially on rain teams, every Pokémon that is dead, is an important one.
: I don't think you have any counterplay to the Choice-Scarf-Set at all. It outspeeds 5/6 Pokémon of the team, Mega-Swampert under rain included and your only resist is Tapu Bulu which gets hit by a Smart Strike or a terrain boosted Leaf Blade and takes a lot from it (36-43% and 75-89% from Leaf Blade and Smart Strike respectively). To sum it up, you have little counterplay to it at all and should try to look for better resistances on the team.
How can you improve your team?
Major Changes:
>
:
Hawlucha is pretty much a staple on any rain team, and for good reason. Hawlucha gives you a resist to Kartana's attacks while also being a formidable sweeper for the team. I also didn't get the point of running 4 attacks Tapu Bulu since it is a sitting duck, in my eyes, so the change was a pretty easy one to make.
Minor Changes:
>
(
) :
I think you would profit a lot more off of a Z-Move, which you didn't seem to have at first. The Electrium Z gives you an option of nuking certain Pokémon on the more offensive builds while also being able to keep momentum up since you're not choice locked. I am also running Roost on it to not completely lose to Hawlucha after a while. Removing Grass Knot could worsen the match-up versus Gastrodon which is why I am go with U-Turn over Volt Switch to get switch ins into the main breakers. Hidden Power [Ice] is intended for Zygarde and Landorus-Therian which could become a problem versus Tapu Koko, it's basically just a saftey option. The full set is going to be Thunder|U-Turn|Hidden Power [Ice]|Roost.
Stealth Rock > Stone Edge (
) :
Since Stealth Rock is a necessity on every team I decided to run it on the only possible on this team: Mega-Swampert. While I do get that Stone Edge hits stuff like Mantine, Mantine is firstly rare, and secondly checkable and pressurable with Tapu Koko and Kingdra respectively. So, as you can see, Stone Edge isn't necessary on the team at all. The full set is going to be Waterfall|Earthquake|Stealth Rock|Ice Punch.
Spread Change (
) :
As I have already said before, I don't get the spread you were running. I just feel like you were taking away some important EVs of the stats that actually matter and put them in areas where they don't belong, at least not only 4 investment. So, I am going with the standard spread you would see on web varients since I don't think speed is needed on a slow Pokémon like Araquanid. So the spread is going to be 216 HP|252 Atk|40 SpD.
Conclusion:
So all in all, your team looks decent on paper, it was just some sets and spreads I personally didn't understand. I obviously made the team a bit more standard, but you can't expect rain to go somewhat by the norms of it, but I tried my best to keep as much innovation on the team as possible. Pokémon that might be a problem for you would be Gastrodon and Mega-Mawile, the rest, I feel, gets checked/countered in some way. If you have any questions or criticism, feel free to tell me! With all of that being said, good luck in your future endeavors!
References:

Looking for any new suggestions
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog/Hurricane
I chose peiliper over politoad because of its typing, offering roost for healing and extending its life for more rain settling, and also it can offer more stab (ex. hurricane, 100% accur. with drizzle). Because of it's tankyness (kinda) and also because of uturn, it can really make sure that you have the team momentum with you and not waste a turn doing nothing but switching. the damp rock is a must for any rain team.

Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
I chose kingdra because of its sky high sp.Att and high variety of stab. did i also mention the power of swift swim? And the draco meteor is just for breaking down tanky pokemon with that 130 power stab.

Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock
I chose swampert for the tankyness and pure power with eq 100pw stab and 4 time resist to fire. stealth rock for the u-turn teams.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium-Z
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot
Tapu koko for the 100% thunder with elec. terrain. Also dazzling gleam for fairy stab. U-turn just for safety, making sure i don't waste a turn. Grass knot im not sure about this switch if you like.

Araquanid @ Choice Band
EVs: 216 HP 252 Atk 40SpD
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Lunge
Araquanid for killing grass types or when there is a rock type on oppenet and not safe for pelipper lead. Liquidation and lunge for stab and poision jab for fairy types defending my seahorse. leech life for heals.
*cant find gif for you*

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch
Hawlucha just for the extra threat with grass types and if there's another electric type i can switch to swampert for that prediction. Swords Dance for setting up, high jump kick for that stab one shot boi, drain punch for the heal when hjk misses. And acrobatics because no item = 110 power + stab

Looking for any new suggestions
Bold Nature
- Scald
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog/Hurricane

Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor

Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Stealth Rock
I chose swampert for the tankyness and pure power with eq 100pw stab and 4 time resist to fire. stealth rock for the u-turn teams.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium-Z
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Grass Knot

Araquanid @ Choice Band
EVs: 216 HP 252 Atk 40SpD
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Poison Jab
- Lunge
*cant find gif for you*

Hawlucha @ Electric Seed
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- High Jump Kick
- Acrobatics
- Drain Punch
Hawlucha just for the extra threat with grass types and if there's another electric type i can switch to swampert for that prediction. Swords Dance for setting up, high jump kick for that stab one shot boi, drain punch for the heal when hjk misses. And acrobatics because no item = 110 power + stab

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)