Red Herring

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Welcome to my RMT. I've made enough edits that the new version of the team is in post like 3 or 4.. The original with ferro-->abomasnow is here, but the final update (an edited version of it) is based on it, and seeing what salamence and honchkrow do is important.
I'll leave the commentary under the mon's explanations.
But first, the team:

Ok, now you're probably wondering how on earth I've gotten anywhere with this team, let alone beaten an SPL player with it (Yes really - though it was a new team and it's not their main SPL tier) - and the answer is not really suprise factor.. onto the team.

Importable:

Honchkrow @ Assault Vest
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Aromatherapy

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Earthquake

Salamence @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 96 Spd / 252 HP / 160 Def
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog
- Stone Edge

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball

Honchkrow @ Assault Vest
Ability: Insomnia
Sassy Nature
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Sucker Punch
- Heat Wave
Ok, at this point, I expect you're very, very confused. If you play ubers, however, you'll be more than aware of the deadly threat called Mega-Gengar. Basically, Mega-Gengar will ruin a hella lot of good stall mons unless u pursuit trap it. The most popular answer is Mega-Scizor for this role, but I fancied a change, and also feared HP Fire variants (they ARE a thing). AV Honchkrow was the best option.
4 Atk Honchkrow Pursuit vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 128-152 (48.8 - 58%) -- 95.3% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Mega Gengar Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Honchkrow: 127-151 (31.4 - 37.3%) -- 83.4% chance to 3HKO
Whilst it's imperfect, Sludge Bomb/Wave is its strongest option versus it; if I double switch it in safely, or say bring it in on taunt, it is guaranteed to remove it from play (unless crits). It only really falters with a combination of being hit reasonably well on the switch in by m-gar/stealth rock being up/sludge bomb/wave poisoning/thunderbolt/thunder or dazzling gleam. Given all of those scenarios is a pain, but the advantage of running taunt-bait m-gengar weak mons, and HP Fire being more common than the other coverage, and the fact that stealth rock doesn't turn any of M-gar's options into 2HKOs, I can safely say this is justified, albeit totally ridiculous on first glance.
The other moves; Sucker Punch is for the obvious, and it's nice in mindgames vs m-gar if nessecary. Superpower + Insomnia allows it to deal with darkrai occasionally, and superpower is all round nice to have anyway; it hurts chansey a lot too.
The last slot was filler; I had considered Steel Wing for sylveon (which it would legitimately beat) but Heat Wave is more useful for Ferrothorn/Scizor.
On some teams this'll sit useless and maybe become fodder, but when I do need it it's vital.

Salamence @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail
I know this is even more unconventional, but it's an amazing ho-oh switch in. For that matter it helps to handle ekiller and mega-blaziken as well, but beating ho-oh is its primary purpose only fearing toxic variants. Calcs to back me up..
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Sacred Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Salamence in Sun: 112-132 (28.4 - 33.5%)
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Ho-Oh Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Salamence: 178-211 (45.1 - 53.5%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
I have protect so the point is kind of moot; Fairyceus is a back up check with stone edge too, but this is my primary option.. For that matter exploring its movepool is interesting (I mean I knew it got Wish.. but I never realised it learnt Refresh..). So yeah, this handles physical attackers impressively, 95/80 maxed out with intimidate and nice F/W/G resists and then some makes it really a diamond in the rough.
Just for fun I just calced this as something else it amiably walls..
-1 252+ Atk Groudon Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Salamence: 148-176 (37.5 - 44.6%)
Also the phazing despite being unable to fit many hazards, mostly for removing stuff like Blaziken and ekiller from the firing line.

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Aromatherapy
Ok, so it's taunt bait, it's not like it's gonna want to stay in on any taunters [M-gengar, Yveltal, Darkrai, and hopefully Gothitelle (I know I'm weak to a well played one for sure) are all handled by other members, and it doesn't want to stay in on them]..
Anyway, what does it do?
Softboiled is chosen for its reliability, whilst it was the best place to fit stealth rock. Aromatherapy was basically the whole point of it really, as that is a godsend to any stall team. Thunder Wave was almost filler, but I figured it was likely to be more helpful than anything else versus specsogre. If you use this team and find something else works better, or think I should run something else here [No to Psychic, Honchy is here, and no to Seismic Toss cos it sucks D and it's an utility pokemon not an attacker, it's not going to stay in and wall for long, but I figure Toxic is equally justifiable]
So yeah that's chansey.. I wish there were a more specially bulky cleric (in terms of those that have a typing that resists water) that I could use, Celebi barely cuts the mustard, but it is viable, just beware you need to outspeed specsogre as you're not avoiding a 2HKO from a powerful Spout any time soon)

Abomasnow @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Toxic
- Leech Seed
- Rest
Ok I know this mon kinda sux but it's the best option for something to counter both specsogre as well as CM Eleceus (better than SDefKia/Stockpile Gastrodon imo but I might change it through testing) And also the hail is nice residual along with the status it spreads and leech seed.
Wrote this part in a hurry as a replacement for ferrothorn so that's why it's short xD

Arceus-Fairy @ Pixie Plate
EVs: 96 Spd / 252 HP / 160 Def
Timid Nature
- Judgment
- Recover
- Defog
- Stone Edge
Ok this thing is coming much closer to standard and is also like the only non max-max in this whole damn team, and is the only uber.
At the same time it's the motherfucking glue with only 2 really rare weaknesses, lovely bulk, and stone edge allows it to come back as a second check to ho-oh, which is helpful. It also stops the Zards fucking me over (not that I've ever seen them but they're like A rank lol)
It is here to stop stuff like Palkia wrecking me (although Chansey eases the load in that respect).. It's not designed to stop many particular things, but it's totally irreplacable and provides so much offensive and defensive utility. The Speed outspeeds Max speed Base 100s, which is always useful. (Zards/Palkia) Also a decent check for MM2X and Zekrom.

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
Standard as fuck.
Spreads Status.
Stops non-polopneas Xerneases (oh and not reflect chestorest either but basically this + Chansey walls all)
Not used very much but does what it does well.
Helps a lot handling mewtwo, though obviously MM2X carrying earthquake is a pain but Mence again checks it [-1 252+ Atk Mega Mewtwo X Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Salamence: 178-210 (45.1 - 53.2%) -- 0.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers (and no-one runs adamant anyway) (and fairyceus takes it on too)]
So yeah..

That's my team.
Probably the biggest threats to it are Gothitelle and Toxic Ho-oh. Nothing runs through it like a hot knife through butter whatever you might think. I know it's not perfect, but it's one of the best teams you'll see for a while in this section of the forums.

Rate/Hate/Luvdisc/StealingIsFine

Last edited:
Whatcha gonna do when sub hone Zekrom runs wild on you? You have 4 status moves and not one of them is will o wisp. I'd suggest hippo instead of Salamance because it can wall down Zekrom as well as ho-oh and groudon.

EDIT: thanks for editing your RMT without making note of it. Now I look stupit.

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
I did say in chat..
for anyone else he made that comment cos I still had ferrothorn, which I had to change cos of fucking specsogre.. OpTic knows his shit I just did something silly.

Hello Piexplode, nice team you have there. Although it may be a little unorthodox, I do believe this team have high competitive potential. Not to mention, it is a very interesting built that is both new and refreshing from the common and overused team archetypes we commonly see in today's Uber metagame. Now on to the rate:

The first problem I have with this team is Abomasnow. I feel that Abomasnow is kinda redundant when you have a Chansey who can tank Kyogre all day except for full powered Spec Water Sprout, but I get back to this later. I understand you fear for Chansey to be trapped by Mega-Gengar, hence removing your only check (if you don't have Abomasnow) to Kyogre. However, your Abomasnow is also prone to being trapped by Mega-Gengar and dispatched with a swift Sludge Bomb/Wave, so if you do decide to keep Abomasnow, I suggest to run Earthquake somewhere to remedy this weakness. Of course, you also have Honchcrow, which as you mentioned can guarantee the removal of Mega-Gengar if switch in safely. Hence, it follows that Abomasnow is not needed in most scenario, and the hail that it provides is actually more damaging to your team than a majority of others. The reasons for this is #1 you have Salamance who is a physical wall taking 25% from SR and then having to withstand additional hail damage, this can add up. #2 you have a Honchcrow without it's Overcoat ability, so likewise, passive damage is not good for wall that have workable but not stellar defenses. Moreover, you Chansey don't have Toxic but carries Thunder Wave which may conflict with being unable to toxic certain Pokemon and utilizing a toxic and hail combination. #3 you have a slow defogger. This means you might not get a chance to defog against faster and strong opponents who can deal heavy damage to you, whilst taking hail damage, which is bad considering all the SR weak walls on your team.

Another thing is that you lack a physical attacker in your team, this is minor since you are a stall team. However, against other stall team, it can be quite nightmarish and I see the battle going on to the high 60+ turns, which is something you may or may not enjoy.

A replacement for Abomasnow that I suggest is the following:

Palkia Leftovers
4 HP/ 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
~Rest
~Toxic
~Spacial Rend
~Hydro Pump

This set can help you to pressure Kyogre with offensive momentum and since you have a cleric on your team, this can be used in conjunction with that, helping you to outlast Scarf and Spec Kyogre. Also you want to have max speed on Arceus Fairy.

-Jimmyftw
-
-
-
-
-

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Ah the legend that is Jimmyftw..
Either way the rate is appreciated..
Having had a day to think the team over I'm making a culmination of several minor changes and I'm putting a new importable and team overview in this post, as well as updating the OP. However I am glad to show off that Honchkrow spread and I will use it in new teams I'm sure.
New Importable:

Yveltal @ Dread Plate
Ability: Dark Aura
Sassy Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Taunt
- Toxic

Blissey (F) @ Shed Shell
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Aromatherapy

Palkia @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Careful Nature
- Surf
- Toxic
- Spacial Rend
- Rest

Salamence @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Roost
- Toxic
- Dragon Tail

Arceus-Ground @ Earth Plate
EVs: 96 Spd / 252 HP / 156 Def
Timid Nature
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Defog
- Stone Edge

Aegislash @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- King's Shield
- Shadow Ball
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball
Basically...
Groundceus>Fairyceus at beating Zekrom (thanks to Fireburn for pointing out that weakness), whilst
Palkia is better than abomasnow for greater staying power, as well as being much better versus Yveltal
Blissey>Chansey with Shed Shell as it still provides massive utility but removing honchkrow opens up many more avenues. Is still a lovely check to opposing palkias (though I question my EV spread - a better one would be appreciated) and other special attackers.
Yveltal as a second physical wall is fantastic and is a pokemon I've loved since first trying it and thoroughly recommend. It deals brilliantly with ekiller arceus (though salamence is still a solid check, but can only phaze). It also takes on gengar reasonably nicely.. Expect me to also test out other things in this slot for sheer entertainment value (I have my eyes on a shelmet lol) but yeah this team is seriously very strong indeed.

The new team is:
Yveltal/Blissey/Palkia/Ground-Arceus/Salamence/Aegislash

Please do try it out ;)

Edit: Oh and remove the random 4 Atk from Palk and reduce its attack to 0, I've forgotten to do that lol
Edit 2: May try out other moves> t-wave on bliss [maybe even psych up vs CM mons?] but nothing is super nessecary I don't think.
Edit 3: Flamethrower on Blissey seems nice to fuck with ferro, >twave
Edit 4: Put shadow sneak>Toxic on aegi I know it sux but it anti-leads deoxys

Last edited:
I agree with shed shell blissey over chansey, I was going to address that in my earlier post but I forgot. Best of luck to the team.

-Jimmyftw
-
-
-
-

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Will collect replays in this post;
Firstly, me vs Aquasition on ladder [Me vs Deo-S HO]
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-92079234
Second, me losing to Furai
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ubers-92091826
Moral is don't fucking sack aegi to zard like that? Yeah but that was a fun match either way and I learnt that.. sacking aegi was just fucking daft wasn't it? But either way, the team holds its own nicely.. I just wish blissey could phaze xD Or maybe if I plonk toxic on it >.>

Last edited:

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
3/5

I'm not entirely sure why you'd use Salamence; not only are there more solid options to check Ho-oh that are actually viable (don't ask me what they are I'm so tired right now lol) and you have a Stealth Rock setter on your team, so it's redundant. One of MY biggest mistakes is redundancy on checking one Mon, it leads to being unaware of other threats.
SPEAKING OF OTHER THREATS, how do you deal with Mix/Physical Xerneas? What on your team can beat Doubledance Groudon? Hell, what on your team can do jack shit to most builds of Groudon?

+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Groudon Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Yveltal: 515-608 (113.1 - 133.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Groundceus doesn't have Will-o-Wisp, so that's not going to do much other than tickle it slowly.

Not at all necessarily a BAD team, but from my perspective, not a great one either =/

Last edited:

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
Well I can switch yveltal in on groudon and taunt it, or foul play if it's just used RP or SD, and mence can phaze it in clutch situations.
I'm fine vs any xerneas unless they carry
-Night Slash
-Psyshock/Close Combat
Darkrai can sleep whatever mon I feels least nessecary vs that opp [has to be outta groundceus/palkia/mence tho] and then send in palk/arceus to handle; also I've been meaning to chance flamethrower-->seismic toss on blissey which would let me handle it a lot better. If it suddenly uses sword dance [I've not met one but I've got a team of faint's with it on lol] then ygod and mence should be able to handle it without too much difficulty.
Salamence is brilliant at actually switching in on ho-oh, and for that matter handles blaziken reasonably well (it can't 2hKO it but dislikes forfeiting leftovers to knock off - and dragon tail does near to 60%), as well as checking other physical attackers as well (kang, ekiller, groudon, MM2X can all be checked and phazed by it, although those with attack boosting moves and stone edge/rock slide are naturally less well checked) and tbh not much else fits that role better [it is actually better than hippodown at this, I've calculated and checked - and Lando-T has no reliable recovery so changing that into it would involve a larger domino effect of mon-swapping] and there's few other choices of physical wall with reliable recovery.. I mean I guess I could run WoW>Stone Edge on groundceus but it's a useful secondary check to ho-oh; I think I could justify it though. WoW>Stone Edge y/n? I could potentially run it over defog but given that I run so few hazards and have a limited weakness to stealth rock I'm unsure whether that is a wise move either. So thanks for the rates, I'm sure changes can be made, fishing for opinions however. And having stealth rock doesn't make checking ho-oh a null issue for that matter.

[hmm some considerations I couuuuuld if I fancied change mence->Lando-T, change SR to toxic on bliss, and then change my arceus type but I'm not sure what to. If someone fancies trying that tell me the result]

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm fine vs any xerneas unless they carry
-Night Slash
-Psyshock/Close Combat
That's my exact point =.=' In that case, you're most definitely NOT fine, because Psyshock and Close Combat are both EXTREMELY common as of late. Also, keep in mind - you can't switch in phys def Y-god, or ANY y-god, to a Groudon +2 Stone edge. If he gets off a Rock Polish as well, you are completely fucked, lol

Disaster Area

formerly Piexplode
The thing is I can always switch in on groudon as soon as it comes in so it's not going to get off a boost AND fire off an attack in that time, unless a quicker groudon.. so I can see your point. Still looking for improvements but at the moment the team's fairly fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)