Registeel Sweep?! (UU RMT)

NOT REALLY!

Now that I got your attention, welcome to another RMT from me, kingdra22. Well, I want to make this more detailed as it is my comeback to UU. I've tried OU, NU and Uber but I just like UU the best. Agree? To justify what I just said, I'm including a Building Process. Here goes.

Every team starts off with a lead. Well, not necessarily in the Building Process but I decided to start off with a lead. I scanned UU's premiere leads. Ambipom, Hariyama, Omastar, Qwilfish (encountered one as lead), and Froslass. Froslass! This pokemon caught my attention. It something I've never used before because I was too afraid to use it. But man, it was good as hell.

Second, I needed to choose something that walls special hits good but not colored pink. Hmm.. Clefable is pink, Chansey is pink, Registeel is pink..Wait! No he isn't! Well, there you have it, Registeel. His base 150 Special Defense and Steel typing is something I couldn't resist. That said, it's not so hard to see how he got into my team.

Fire's beginning to look like a threat but I had to chose a Physical Wall. Fire isn't the only thing Registeel is weak to, it's also weak to Ground and Fighting. My favorite UU Physical wall once again proved that even if he is ugly, he synergizes well with UU's special walls. Weezing, I choose you!

Fire's still a threat since Weezing didn't help remedy that. Seeing as Milotic has good Special Defense, HP and respectable Defense, she easily found a ticket entry to my team.

Electric is now unresisted and Raikou is a bitch to the team. I'm not comfortable leaving holes to my team so I just had to resist Electric. Let's see now.. Froslass has Spikes, Registeel has Stealth Rock, and Milotic has Toxic Spikes. Huh?! Nooo, I have no Toxic Spikes! Drapion, don't be shy. I'll resist Electric later.

As promised, I'll resist Electric. Well, not just that, the last pokemon has to have a vital function too. Donphan is an obvious choice. Its physical bulk coupled with Rapid Spin is too good to resist.

--------------------------------------------------------
Team Registeel Sweep-Not Really

What are their moves, natures? Don't forget EV's and items!
Alright, Alright,no need to start a riot -.-

In-Depth

Lead

Froslass@Choice Scarf
I use Choice Scarf to pull off the fastest Trick as a lead. If the other lead Taunts me, sets up SR, or does anything else that wouldn't harm Froslass, that lead is screwed. This isn't a Suicide Lead so the casual Focus Sash isn't of big need.
Nature: Timid
Timid to obtain the most Speed I can get, nothing so special.
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 248HP/228Def/32Spe
Standard Bulky Froslass EV spread. I encountered a Lead Swampert before. His Earthquake 3HKOed Froslass. Not bad,eh?
Moves:
Spikes
The thing that makes Froslass so useful on my team. 25% is a very big damage if I get the chance to lay down 3 layers of Spikes.
Trick
Usually the first move I use. If I know that the opponent's lead will switch, I'll use Spikes. If the opponent as an opposing Froslass, I have to switch out because of the casual Shadow Ball.
Ice Beam
Basic STAB move to scout for attack.
Pain Split
Can be annoying for the opponent. The same Swampert I talked about a while ago was Earthquaking me. I predicted on his 3rd Earthquake that it would KO Froslass so I used Pain Split. I would have survived the Earthquake if it wasn't for a crit.
Description: Froslass is the first one you'll encounter in my team. She usually dies but I try my best to keep her alive so that she can scout for a Spin blocker. Her moveset works really well because Choice Scarf destroys set-up leads and helps me set up at least a layer of Spikes. If i successfully lay down 3 layers, it's time to switch.

Special Wall

Registeel@Leftovers
No Wish support means I need all means to help keep Registeel live throughout the match. That said, Leftovers is preferred over Shed Shell as it scouts for recovery,
Nature: Careful
I run Sassy because my Registeel isn't actually meant for sponging Physical hits. Though that's something that it can do, it is meant to sponge Special hits so I wanted to have it Maximum Special Defense.
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252HP/100Atk/156SpD
Suggested by Delko. This helps power up Iron head while sacrificing some Special Defense.
Moves:
Stealth Rock
Basic entry hazard move. I chose to put it on Registeel because of its natural bulk.
Thunder Wave
Annoying as ever. This helps me remedy the low speed that most of my pokemon have and since most of them do not run offensive sets, they don't have EVs invested on Speed.
Earthquake
Used to be Seismic Toss. Erazor suggested this for coverage purposes.
Iron Head
Suggested by Delko. It helps out with other types while still hurting ghost-types.
Description: Registeel is my Special wall. Though attacks like Overheat, Fire Blast and Flamethrower are common in the special attacks department of UU, Registeel helps me scout for the more useful Ice resist as well as "resist" to things like Thunderbolt and Surf. Although I do prefer Chansey's special walling capabilities over Registeel, I don't want a die in 2 Physical hits pokemon. Besides, Registeel synergizes better with Weezing than Chansey does.

Physical Wall

Weezing@Black Sludge
Black Sludge over Leftovers on a poison type pokemon is nothing special.
Nature: Bold
Standard nature to maximize Defense
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252HP/252Def/4SpA
Standard EV spread to maximize Defense
Moves:
Fire Blast
I chose Fire Blast over Flamethrower for sheer power. Weezing's Special Attack is unboosted due to the fact that it is a wall pokemon and therefore needs all the power it can get to support the team and have the ability to attack at the same time. Although added PP, accuracy at the cost of lower power is tempting, I'm not really comfortable with using weaker moves on wall pokemon.
Thunderbolt
Wow, I sure am inconsistent, eh? NO, not really! Yes, I chose Thunderbolt for accuracy. Fire Blast's 15% accuracy loss isn't really much while Thunder's 30% is really something to think about. While the decision was tough, I still chose to run more accuracy over sheer power.
Will-o-Wisp
The thing that "doubles" all of my pokemon's Defenses. It really cripples Physical attackers that even Super Effective moves can't afford to OHKO Weezing. 12% per turn is also really useful.
Pain Split
I don't really have to emphasize on this any more. It provides a not-so reliable recovery but hey, it helps.
Description: Weezing moveset is really set for support and a little offense. Thunderbolt usually threatens Gyarados. It's a little weird that Gyarados matters since it's OU. Well, Weezing usually screws Physical Attackers with WoW and then wear them down slowly with either Fire Blast or Thunderbolt.

Dual Function

Milotic@Leftovers
Scouts for recovery.
Nature: Bold
Since Milotic has amazing Special Defense coupled with 95 base HP, running max Defense should increase her walling capabilities.
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252HP/200Def/54SpD
EV spread suggested by Delko.
Moves:
Surf
Basic STAB move. It scouts for attacking and threatens away Fire types, if Milotic doesn't already.
Hidden Power Grass
This move is for opposing water types and Milotic. I am considering Hidden Power Electric over this. Any suggestions?
Rest
Scouts for full HP recovery and staus absorption.
Sleep Talk
Helps me attack when Rest is in effect.
Description: This Milotic is called Dual Function because:

• It can do damage to some of the pokemon that threaten my other pokemon, i.e Fire types. Given the correct prediction, It can hurt Grass-types with Ice beam. I'll explain why. I switch in Registeel. The opponent switches in Arcanine and then I switch in Milotic. He switches out Arcanine for Venusaur. I switch out Milotic and switch in Registeel. He switches out Venusaur and switches Arcanine in. I switch in Milotic and do Ice Beam. Venusaur says hi, I say bye.
  • It can sponge special hits well because of its natural special bulk
Pseudo-Hazer

Drapion@Black Sludge
Need I say more?
Nature: Careful
Standard nature to maximize Special Defense
Ability: Battle Armor
This Drapion isn't really the pokemon meant for offense so the ability to prevent critical hits maybe one of the most useful trait a defensive pokemon can possess.
EVs: 108HP/252SpD/148Speed
I changed the EV spread as suggested by Erazor. This helps me outspeed Stall Breaker Mismagius and Taunt it to stop it from doing WoW
Moves:
Taunt
Prevents set-ups and other non-attacking moves.
Toxic Spikes
This completes my array of entry hazards, nothing special except damage per turn.
Crunch
One of the moves that a defensive variant of Drapion could offer.
Whirlwind
I bet you now know why he is called Pseudo-Hazer, eh?
Description: To start off, yes, this is the Defensive Drapion set but the EVs are from the Utility Special Defender set. I don't really want the RestTalking variant of Drapion because I want to be efficient in PHazing. This Drapion sets up Toxic Spikes. Though it's usually not needed, it has helped me a lot of times.

Rapid Spinner Utility

Drapion@Leftovers
Scouts for recovery. Since I need Donphan for Rapid Spinning and attacking, I can't comfortably run Choice Band on this one so I just decided to use Leftovers
Nature: Adamant
Useful over Jolly because Donphan has nothing to outspeed
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 52HP/252Atk/204Def
Standard EV spread.
Moves:
Rapid Spin
Earthquake
Basic STAB move to scout for damage and coverage
Assurance
Hurts Ghosts who predict Rapid Spin
Ice Shard
Basic priority move. I am considering Stone Edge over this.
Description: Well, Donphan should receive credit for being a good spinner in UU. He may not have Hitmontop's Foresight but he has Assurance to hit Ghosts badly. 120 Defense also means that he take quite a beating from Physical attacks and 120 Attack means he can dent a lot of things with his attacks before going down.

• Considerations are in bold.​
  • Changes that will be made will be underlined and will be red.
-END-

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A Taunt/WoW/Pain Split/Shadow Ball Mismagius can wreak havoc on your team - it utterly screws over Registeel, Donphan, and Weezing, cripples Drapion with WoW, and can possibly outstall Milotic. Your only method of beating it currently happens to be your Froslass.
Yes, I know that StallBreaker Missy is rare. But it's a huge threat.

To fix it, I suggest giving Drapion Speed EVs. It needs 144 Speed EVs to outspeed the standard Stallbreaker, which you could remove from HP or Special defense.

This ensures that you can Taunt it before it Taunts you, and then kill it.

A Taunt/WoW/Pain Split/Shadow Ball Mismagius can wreak havoc on your team - it utterly screws over Registeel, Donphan, and Weezing, cripples Drapion with WoW, and can possibly outstall Milotic. Your only method of beating it currently happens to be your Froslass.
Yes, I know that StallBreaker Missy is rare. But it's a huge threat.

To fix it, I suggest giving Drapion Speed EVs. It needs 144 Speed EVs to outspeed the standard Stallbreaker, which you could remove from HP or Special defense.

This ensures that you can Taunt it before it Taunts you, and then kill it.
Thanks. I'll apply changes to Drapion now.

Hello

As a respond to your PM here is a little rate.

The first thing I notice is that you have are having a hard time to deal with Chansey and to a lesser extent Clefable and other strong special walls. To fix this a little I suggest a Hitmontop instead of Donphan. While Donphan is able to 2HKO Chansey with Earthquake it will be outsped by every Chansey that has invested at least 4 EV's in speed (otherwise it's a speed tie) so she can stall you out with Toxic and Softboiled. Hitmontop has the ability to OHKO the pink little nurse while still being able to spin away those nasty entry hazards. So I suggest this:

Hitmontop @ leftovers/ adamant nature/ intimidate / EV's: 252 HP/ 252 Atk/ 6 Def/ Moves: Foresight/ Rapid Spin/ Close Combat/ Sucker Punch.

Foresight will allow you to spin even against Ghost types and even better, common Ghost types as Froslass and Spiritomb can be hit by a super effective Close combat. Close Combat will be your main attack move to hit random walls like Chansey, Clefable, Steelix, ... extra hard. Rapid Spin is obvious and the reason why he is replaced with Donphan. Sucker Punch will really help you out when needed, against a Rain Dance team for example. Intimidate also comes in handy when you are fighting against strong physical attackers like Rhyperior. Leftovers is to have some sort of recovery and heals 6% of your health every turn.

The next thing I noticed is that you dropped 252 EV's on stats on your pokemon while with a better spread you could accomplish better results. So that's why I suggest an alternative EV's spread for Registeel as it allows him to take hit better while still pose some kind of an offensive threat (and who knows you might actually sweep with him). The Ev's spread I suggest will be the following: 252 HP/ 100 Atk/ 156 SDef. If you are using this EV's spread you have a little offensive power so you could with Iron Head instead of Shadow claw as it is STAB'ed and you can apply the Paraflinch technique to take out opposing threats like Mismagius and co.

You have no decent status absorber or someone to recover status. That's why I believe that the Rest-Talk version of Milotic will benefit you greatly. Milotic is an important member of your team as she is the counter to opposing Fire types and with Toxic being very common she could be worn down easily. This is no longer the case with the Rest, Sleep Talk variant. That set looks like this:

Milotic @ leftovers/ calm nature/ marvel scale/ EV's: 252 HP/ 200 Def/ 58 SDef/ Moves: Rest/ Sleep Talk/ Surf/ Hidden Power (grass).

The Rest-Talk version will make Milotic a beast to take down as Marvel Scale is activated which will boost your defensive stat. Surf is obviously your main move to counter opposing Fire types who are causing your team trouble. Hidden Power (grass) is superiour to Ice Beam so you have a decent Grass type move on your team to deal with Rain Dance teams better and other Water types. Besides Froslass already has Ice Beam for Grass types and others.

Well this is all I could suggest.

Hope this helped and good luck with the team!

I will drop Hitmontop since Donphan is useful for Electric-resist.
However, I will apply changes to Milotic and Registeel.
Edit: Oh, and I think you mean 54SpDef for Milotic?

Thanks for the rate, Delko!

Hello kingdra22, this teams looks quite solid, and is actually similar to a team of mine! Anyways as with all teams, they are not perfect. Your team has quite a weakness to Raikou seeing that Registeel cannot reliably take it down. Raikou isn't necessarily a big threat, but Registeel, being your only counter to it, could be set up on. I suggest running Earthquake over Seismic Toss. This will enable you to hit Raikou much harder and possible KO any Fire-type looking to get a free switch-in on Iron Head.

I suggest running Flamethrower / Rest / Sleep Talk / Will-o-Wisp on Weezing. Fire Blast makes it rather difficult for you to take on threats because you rely on 8 PP. Rest and Sleep Talk is suggested for a common threat to stall, Swords Dance Venusaur. Which after a Swords Dance can OHKO-2HKO every member. Sleep Talk will help you at least take on Venusaur much more safely and combined Rest, give you a much more reliable means of recovery. Sludge Bomb is an alternative as it allows Weezing to take on Grass-types much easier but is not necessary.

Milotic is your main check to Kabutops and Feraligatr as after a Swords Dance, they can be quite troublesome, so having two attacks for Sleep Talk to choose from is nice. These two in particular are threats because they can OHKO-2HKO many of your Pokemon while none can do much back or aren't reliable. However if you have never had a problem with Kabutops or Feraligatr I recommend Haze to help stop stat boosters in their tracks.

As for Drapion, Rest and Sleep Talk can also be an alternative over Taunt and Whirlwind or Toxic Spikes allowing you to deal with Ghost- and Psychic-types much more easily. Whirlwind helps gather residual damage, but Toxic Spikes helps against opposing stall teams. However, Toxic Spikes is a rather unreliable attack in my opinion as the abundance of Venusaur may put your efforts to waste.

Hope I helped!

Oh I forgot to mention something. You are currently using a Sassy nature on Registeel but I see no point for the loss of speed so I would say give him a Careful one as this will let him keep it's special defenses but he won't loose speed.

I don't see the need for a Spinner on your team. Nothing is really weak to SR, and Drapion can absorb Toxic Spikes. Hitmontop was mentioned, and I think that it would be the best option to replace Donphan. If you want priority, Hitmontop gets Mach Punch plus a Technician boost. I also enables you to deal with Chansey and Clefable better.

Hidden Power electric seems like the better option for Milotic, because other Milotics can wall and/or Toxic you. Another option would be Ice Beam. I can see this team having a bit of trouble with Venusaur, if Weezing is down. If it has Earthquake, it can kill Drapion, and cripple another Pokemon with Sleep Powder.

Finally, what do you do vs. Raikou? HP [Ice] and [Grass] are very common, and those can both kill Donphan. You might want to try Earthquake > Iron Head on Registeel.

Forgive me if I missed something or said something that doesn't help, I just started the UU tier recently, but am glad to help :)

I would like to say, that you have a HUGE Clefable weakness. The second your Drapion goes down, you are going to be destroyed by Clefable. You have absolutely NO counter to her, and she will simply sponge all of your attacks.

I would recommend Hitmontop, as others are saying as well. ;) With it, you have a pretty decent Clefable counter... And then you won't have your entire team ruined by her! :D

Believe me, I have made several Clefable weak teams. I never made a team without a Clefable counter after I got 6-0'd by a standard Clefable. -.-

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would like to point out that you should either use Earthquake + Iron Head, or Shadow Claw + Seismic toss, for coverage purposes.

Oh, and a spinner is absolutely necessary for this team. Without it, it gets totally fucked over by spikes.

There is a slight Clefable weakness - you're relying on Drapion and Donphan to take it down. Just be careful with Drapion, and you should be fine though.

I faced this team earlier, it works tremendously well, but has a pretty huge weakness to rotom, especially sub/charge versions. Once thats gone though its extremely difficult to get past this team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)