Research Group #6 - Miltank, Torterra, Entei

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Hello, fellow RUers. Texas has asked me to take over Research Week so I'm doing a mini-overhaul. For one, since these things never last a week, I'm renaming it Research Group. I've also made the default OP less tl;dr for your reading pleasure :)

#1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:

• Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Like I said before, feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.

Research Group #4

[pimg]241[/pimg][pimg]392[/pimg][pimg]244[/pimg]
Miltank | Torterra | Entei​

How useful are these Pokemon in RU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #rarelyused and #pokemon as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:

• Send me a PM / post here or on IRC with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!

The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who is at the highest rating on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. If you win, you will receive temporary hops on #rarelyused, but you may only claim your prize if you actually participated in the discussion!

Current Participants:

Forum Name - Ladder Alt

Omicron - -wildthings
TrollFreak - TrollFreak
Zebraiken - -Zebraiken
lars - Under the WilloWisps
spuds4ever - Chips and Milk

TrollFreak

(╮°-°)╮┳━┳ (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
is a Contributor Alumnus
Torterra + Entei - TrollFreak

Haven't played RU after the revamp, so these alts are good

kokoloko

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
err you can only enter one alt for the challenge, but you can use more than one mon on it if you want.

So just checking here, but does using WoW on Entei (instead of Toxic or HP grass) and Leftovers instead of LO/CB count as a non-standard set?

Because WoW neuters Rhydon/Aerodactyl/Kabutops much more quickly than Toxic does (although HP grass generally deals with these threats too, WoW + decent bulk even when uninvested + leftovers really helps it stick around)

Either way, I'll be playing around with a Will-o-Wisping Entei

Alt: Under the WilloWisps

kokoloko

Wisp is pretty common on Entei nowadays, so no, that would not qualify as a non-standard set.

In fact, even though SunnyBeam is on-site, I'm pretty sure it's much less common. lol

Try things like bulky Entei with Flare Blitz / ExtremeSpeed / Toxic / Protect, SubCM or like idk just offensive CM ??

Howl!!!

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
no idea if subcm + protect entei counts as a non-standard set (thanks heist) but i've been using it so far and it's been pretty amazing although i need to tinker around with the spread some more i think. it can actually sit there and even set up on crazy stuff like slowking and pp stall it, since psyshock doesn't break its sub a decent percentage of the time. it really really likes tspikes support but really it's great.

also miltank is really really good at deterring cryogonal, which makes it a huge boon for bulkier teams that don't want to run a shit ghost-type like dusknoir or have to rely on predicting well with cb tomb (which loses a good 50% of the time anyway). every time cryo comes in to spin, you can just switch in miltank and set up SR again easy or threaten it with a body slam which 2hkoes most cryogonal (screw SV's spread). paralyzing it also basically means death. i don't think i'll be trying to work with the curse set though, although that sounds like it'd be pretty decent. miltank also offers unique support in being a solid moltres (and to a lesser extent, magmortar) check as well as heal belling shit up. it's good.

on another slightly off-topic note, fuck roselia

I figured just adding WoW wouldn't be enough. I've been seeing WoW on Entei more and more, but the best mention it has in the analysis is still only OO.

Torterra (lol maybe a subseed set) will also be on my team then

(I am curious though, Entei has a pretty limited movepool and the 3 sets listed pretty much cover the competitive movepool. What exactly is considered a research group set on Entei? mixed Choice scarf Eruption/Stone Edge/HP grass/Iron Head or something?

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I would say any Entei set that uses CB/LO/Lefties with Flare Blitz, ExtremeSpeed, and 2 of Stone Edge/HP Grass/Toxic/Will-O-Wisp is standard, and everything else is non-standard. SubCM is pretty uncommon these days, and I'd be very interested in seeing if it can still be an effective set on a good team. SunnyBeamer is nonexistant and I'll probably be removing it from the analysis when I do the update. Other than those, the only other sets with any real potential at all imo are Howl and offensive CM.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@Spuds: How has your testing of Miltank gone? I've always liked Miltank and just have been curious as to how you've fared.

kokoloko

lol did any of you even actually play? i didnt find any of the registered alts in the top 80...

anyway, the next group is up...

i think RU has too many things going on at the same time, leading to people not participating fully in any of them. so you guys might wanna consider not doing any more research groups for a while!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)