Research Group - Scolipede, Fraxure, Zangoose, Archeops

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm taking this over like a honkboss.

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats, movepool, and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon I choose and/or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Like I said before, feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you.

Scolipede | Fraxure | Zangoose | Archeops

How useful are these Pokemon in RU? What sets can they run effectively? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #rarelyused and #pokemon as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here or send me a PM with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!

The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who is at the highest rating on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. If you win, you will receive temporary hops on #rarelyused, but you may only claim your prize if you actually participated in the discussion!

I'm starting to play RU, this tier seems too interesting to not play.

I'm going to test Fraxure under a yet to be registered alt, will edit later.

EDIT: Researching Fraxure under the alt Fraxure.

Honko

he of many honks
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I will be using Fraxure and Scolipede. Scolipede has lots of possible options, especially now with Aqua Tail giving it great two-move coverage with Megahorn (the only things that resist both are Poliwrath and Qwilfish). That frees up a moveslot to run something like SubSD or Dual Spikes without sacrificing coverage. It'll be fun to try some new sets out.

well since im going to make an ru team and obv am gonna use Zangoose cuz it is amazing, might as well do this

Alt: PokemonShowdownSucks

EDIT: Oh, I just realized Archeops is a research group mon and I'm using that on my team too. So ya.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm using Pokemon showdown myself so I won't be part of the ladder piece but I'm using fracture and Archeops on PS under the Gator Time alt

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I will be trying Scolipede (maybe Zangoose and Archeops, but I'm not too sure at the moment)

Alt: My Horn Your Horn

You should all watch the above battle. It showcases the true power of the monster known as Zangoose. All of you not using him for Research Week are giving yourselves handicaps.

Going with archeops and possibly scolipede as well.

alt: Epic Dinosaur

Will be doing this on PS until I figure out where to get the PO update...

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Going to be testing Archeops and possibly Fraxure and/or Zangoose as well. Will be doing this on PS so I don't think I'll be able to participate in the ladder part of this, but it'll be fun trying out Archeops. Roost isn't the thing that I like it getting so much that it's Heat Wave. (though Roost is welcome) Now you can roast all of those Steelix and Ferroseed that used to cause Archeops issues. Plus, hitting the new RU toy, Escavalier, should be really neat too.

alt: Eon-testing

https://github.com/lamperi/pokemon-online/downloads

Archeops, despite getting Roost, is still hindered by Stealth Rock. It can't really have any damage before that either or Defeatist will activate. Also it's really frail, so it doesn't have many opportunities to Roost :(. Archeops is still the man; he's great at weakening walls for another sweeper.
Thanks DC.

Anyway, I've messed around with archeops for a bit now. I've been using it in the core of CBscyther/archeops/magneton with spin support in a kinda type-stacking bird team which I discovered worked very nicely. I've been using the standard acrobatics set with SE/EQ/Roost and while it is definetely dangerous on paper with mag support, I've been finding scyther's been making a lot more out of the given support, able to maintain momentum and dish out crazy damage at the same time while having several useful resistances like fighting and grass, unlike archeops, while also having more utility in the form of technician quick attack.

Acrobatics archeops just hasn't really been cutting it. While it's absurdly difficult to switch in to once you've removed steels, it really misses the ability to OHKO things and has to play very conservatively with its flight gem to threaten relatively bulky things as atm, all the opponent needs to do is sacrifice something weak/useless and then force out archeops with any tom dick or harry with decent bulk and HP left. I think this is mostly due to its lack of a boosting item, so I think I'll give CB a shot now (dual CBers are always fun), maybe it will impress more.

I tried using Spikes and 3 attacks Scolipede with Focus Sash on a couple offensive teams where I needed a good two layers of spikes. I found it very good at it's job but then I realized it was outclassed by Accelgor, another underrated poke.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright so I've been using Fraxure and Archeops for about 30 battles on PS and so far they've both been very impressive. I've been running an offensive minded team which allows me to pick and choose the spots I want them to star in. Fraxure has been the bulkier of the pair while Archeops has been the hit and run wallbreaker.

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Aqua Tail
- Superpower

Pretty standard Fraxure spread. I'm running Jolly so I can beat out base 110s at +1, possibly Sceptile tier as well. Despite the lack of bulk investment Fraxure still is quite bulky thanks to Eviolite. If there's a dangerous mon with good coverage that none of my mons can reliably handle, Fraxure is the one coming out and setting up in there face. Dragon Dance and Outrage are the standard beat your face in moves. I have plenty of ways to handle Steel-types on my team, but Aqua Tail and Superpower give me the coverage I need to break through bulkier Pokemon at the start of a sweep anyway, like Klinklang, Steelix to an extent, or Nidoqueen. Also a decent check to Cincinno since it can survive a Tail SLap after Rocks and KO back with Superpower.

Archeops @ Ground Gem
Trait: Defeatist
EVs: 136 Atk / 120 SAtk / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature
- Acrobatics
- Stone Edge
- Earth Power
- Roost

Ans this one is a more unusual set. I'm running a pretty standard Acrobatics/Stone Edge/Earth Power variant, but I've coupled it with Roost, to give Archeops more durability and making it easier to come into weakened attacks. Archeops forces a lot of switches, even at low health, so it isn't hard to find Roost time. More importantly is the introduction of a Ground gem on this set. Let's face, everyone knows a Flying gem is coming so they try and save their Tangrowths and Slowkings from the Acrobatics until its gone. With a Ground Gem, I get very heavy hits on Steelix, Qwilfish, Nidoqueen, Rhyson, Klinklang; basically every Pokemon that could take an Earthquake comfortably is brutalized by a Ground Gem Earth Power. It isn't difficult to use Stone Edge as my primary move until the ground gem is used, as most things that resist Acrobatics are hit by Earth Power, and everything immune to Earth Power is hit by Stone Edge.

The EV spread is very haphazard. Max Speed so I can beat the things I should be beating, attack EVs hit 350, max base 110, and SpAtk EVs hit 290, just over neutral base 95. If anyone can come up with a better EV spread please let me know!

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Okay time for me to post here since this round ends soon and i used Fraxure a good amount

Fraxure @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Aqua Tail / Low Kick
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage

This is the set i've been using, and its definitely awesome. Fraxure has an easy time setting up thanks to Eviolite, and an easy time getting multiple boosts thanks to Taunt. Tangrowth without Hidden Power [Ice] (which i haven't seen at all) cannot beat Fraxure, as Giga Drain only does ~20%. I was going to use Life Orb, but Taunt + Eviolite means I can easily get 2 Dragon Dances thanks to the additional bulk + intelligent use of Taunt, meaning Life Orb would be useless/make me easier to revenge kill. Jolly nature is pretty necessary, as otherwise you'll miss out on outspeeding a lot of stuff at +1 (Archeops and co).

Aqua Tail is cool because it smashes Sandslash with Spikes support without having to lock into Outrage. I also like Aqua Tail because it KOs Moltres at +1 without having to lock into Outrage. Low Kick has some merit, as Taunt + Low Kick allows Fraxure to beat Steelix (120 BP Low Kick), and Low Kick gets the OHKO on Aggron as well. You can't really beat Ferroseed with this set, but Taunt pretty much nullifies it, preventing it from Thunder Waving/Leech Seeding/Spiking/Stealth Rocking and you get a free switch in.

For anyone who cares, this is the team i used. http://pastebin.com/QNzqRjps

Gallade is probably the best Fraxure partner, as it easily beats Ferroseed, Steelix, Defensive Poliwrath etc as well as providing a good Nidoqueen check and having solid Special Bulk. Smeargle gives Fraxure hazards, which it loves a lot. One layer of Spikes + Stealth Rock is all Fraxure needs. Feel free to try out the team, although it has a bit of trouble with fast Taunt/Lum Berry leads.

Overall I had a ton of fun messing around with Fraxure and i'm sorry to bump this but I just wanted to share my experience with Fraxure

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)