Resto Chesto

Resto Chesto, one the most infamous and effective combos in the whole Pokemon metagame because of three specific reasons. Firstly until you pop the rest or they spore you, your opponent will have no idea what item you are holding giving the surprise factor as well as making them think you could be holding a different item such as an expert belt or choice scarf. Secondly having this combo also makes you pseudo immune to poison, paralysis, and burn because when you rest it negates the status. Lastly, and possible the greatest benefit is how it can safely bring you back to full health in one turn possibly saving a poke or starting a potential sweep. It's most notably known on such Pokemon as Rotom-Wash and Kingdra, these however are not RU and this is where you come in.

What Pokemon in RU would benefit from the Resto Chesto combo?
Why is this combo used on pokemon like Rotom-W and Kingdra and apply that to your reasoning in your response?
What factors make a Pokemon a good candidate for Rest and a Chesto berry?

Or on the otherhand, is there a reason why this should not be used in RU.

ChestoRest is okay. However, you then lack an item the rest of the game for that specific Pokemon. It's somewhat gimmicky, especially if you end up taking blows which require you to Rest again.

The reason it's used on Pokes like Rotom-W and Kingdra in OU and UU respectively is because they don't have Hydration like Vaporeon, and are otherwise stuck with that combination for viable recovery as they are otherwise lacking in self-healing that many other Pokes in each of the other tiers can do.

No Pokemon in RU or NU bar Exeggutor and Tropius would benefit from ChestoRest. The reason they benefit from it is because of Harvest, which allows them to recover their items at least 50% of the time. Harvest is a good ability on its own, but even with this really good DW ability, Exeggutor and Tropius are still overlooked even in NU (I use Exeggutor myself, but don't see any Tropiuses lying about waiting to prove me wrong).

On any other Pokemon? Okay, Hydration Lapras doesn't need Chesto Berry to begin with. While Munchlax could use ChestoRest, it is completely unviable; because it's otherwise a mediocre NFE, it needs the Eviolite to attain the bulk necessary to wall many Special Sweepers in RU. A couple other Pokes, such as Poliwrath and Lanturn, like Rest for RestTalk; using a Chesto Berry makes RestTalk initially undoable (RestTalk's also heinously gimmicky, but that's beside the point). Many Pokes already have recovery that's 100 times better in either using Giga Drain/Drain Punch effectively, Roost-ing, or by having Recover as a move as well. Some Pokes don't really have the room for Rest in their toolkit as they either need Lefties recovery or could use Pain Split instead. Oh, and a couple Pokes also have Regenerator as an ability, so they don't really need ChestoRest.

Again, a lot of RU Pokes don't use ChestoRest simply because they either have better things to do or already have much better recovery options. Even Exeggutor and Tropius are better off with Sitrus Berries and not using Rest.

ChestoRest's primary use is on boosting sweepers who enjoy getting 2 or 3 turns of set-up, can take a few hits, and can spare a move slot. I.E. UU's Kingdra. In RU, Esca could probably use this if fire types are eliminated. Though, the combination I outlined is fairly rare so you won't see it much. Really, not much else will use this for the reasons /B/utterfree stated above.

I actually use this on Rotom-C. I like to bluff having Choice Scarf and not being locked into a single move. The reason I use it on Rotom-C is that it has great typing, but it can only take 2-3 hits from something like Kabutops or Feraligatr before it can't switch in again. It's also very prone to status, paralysis in particular, and Rest clears it of that. I pretty much use this on teams (mostly VoltTurn) where I need a good Pokemon to take a few hits, like you would with Scizor in OU. The only other thing I've used it on was Cofagrigus, but that gets Pain Split and Sleep Talk now. This isn't really a popular, effective, or used strategy as there are usually better hold items for these Pokemon.

yeah, I ran a CM ChestoRest Cofagrigus back around the Sableye meta (man... that's getting to be a long time ago) and I really liked it then. There was quite the surge in other ghost usage after Sableye left and many things in the current (but still shifting I assume) meta don't really favor the use of that strategy anymore with the fairly common haze and phazes as well as leech seed or boosters that can set to be more deadly faster than CM Cof.

I went back to try CM ChestoRest Cof somewheres around 2-3 weeks before the BW2 introduction and I disliked its performance.

I really do agree and think it is generally a case of much better options just being available.

Two of the most popular ChestoRest pokemon, Kingdra and Volcarona, have everything they need to abuse this strategy to the fullest. Cool typing, great set up move, acceptable bulk, and the ability to wreck phazers. Kingdra can go for the flinch against Skarmory with Waterfall or slam phazing bulky waters with Outrage before getting phazed which weakens them for the game until its finally time to sweep. Its self sufficient.

Volcarona has Flame Body and a great boosting move to set up on almost all special attackers (even weak bulky waters), and can also wreck phazers.

On the RU page, the Pokemon I thought this could potentially work for are Escavalier, Drapion, Klingklang, and Lilligant. Sadly, the first three just get boned by Steelix, Circle Throw Poliwrath, and random shit like Whirlwind Hariyama so that sucks. Lilligant I could maybe see working.

Lilligant @ Chesto Berry
252 HP / 188 Def / 68 Speed Timid

-Quiver Dance
-Rest
-Giga Drain
-Hidden Power Whatever

The only phazers that really screw you up are Whirlwind Drapion and Mandibuzz, but you lose to them anyway even if they dont have Whirlwind. I did bulky EVs from the bulky Quiver Dance set because Lilligant needs the help. I don't know if the free heal is worth losing Sleep Powder for though, its such a huge help to sleep a check and grab another boost or two. I would like to at least test it, but it seems like you'd need a lot of team support

Atticus

Atticus
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnuswon the 10th Official Smogon Tournamentdefeated the Smogon Frontieris a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
i honestly don't like chesto rest on a predictable poke ie kingdra. part of what made it so effective imo was that people were expecting rain dance or w/e in OU. if you're gonna use it it should be on something like lilligant or w/e that ppl wont expect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)