ORAS OU Reuniclus balance! (Peaked at 1700+)

Introduction

Hey all! I made this team a while back and it was probably my most successful team in ORAS. I made it about a month or two ago and have changed it quite a bit since. Since ORAS is ending soon, I thought I should post this, as I still want to get feedback. Thanks for taking the time to read this!!!

The Team

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
Reuniclus is one of the most fun Pokemon to use. I decided to build a balance team around it since I feel it has a ton of potential. The set is pretty standard except for Shadow ball. I was originally using focus blast to hit tyranitar and weavile on the switch. However, I struggled a lot against sableye stall, as Reuniclus was my main stall answer, but with focus blast, sableye completely takes advantage of it. As such, i decided to run shadow ball to hit sableye. It also hits shedinja (which is super annoying), as well as psychics like slowbro and lati@s.

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Fire Blast
- Moonblast
I wanted a stealth rocker that could come in multiple times to check and counter threats. As such, I chose clefable over heatran or lando as it gave me a reliable stealth rock setter that could check physical threats and get rocks against sableye. I use bold because it gives me a good answer to lopunny, medicham, and more. Soft boiled provides mandatory recover and moonblast is a standard stab option. I chose fire blast over thunder wave as it can lure in and massively damage steels, which is a big help. KOing Scizor, ferro, and others on the switch is very useful.

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Beam
At this point, my team lacked a fast offensive mon with immediate power. I also needed a way to deal with dark types like tyranitar and weavile. As such, I chose Lopunny. Again, it's a pretty standard set, i just use ice beam over ice punch as avoiding recoil from garchomp and landorus is helpful. Lopunny also forms a strong balance core with clefable and reuniclus, as they all cover each other's weaknesses.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Curse
Set up sweepers like Scizor, excadrill, and gliscor completely shit on my team at this point. Not only that, but having the resists water types offer were very helpful. As such, i chose the one and only quagsire. Im using maximum special defense investment as I not only have curse, but the special bulk is very helpful in surviving special attacks that would normally OHKO or 2HKO Quagsire, like diancie. Scald is great at fishing for burns and can put a decent amount of pressure. I originally used toxic, however it was extremely passive and redundant with scald. As such, I chose curse as it has a great surprise factor, and can put a surprisingly high amount of pressure.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Power Whip
I chose ferrothorn as it fit the bill for everything I needed at this point: A spore absorber, a steel type, a way to deal with bulky waters like quagsire, and even spikes. Leech seed is exceptionally useful as it can wear down the opposing team and give ferrothorn a decent way of recovering. Since I'm not using gyro ball, I chose thunder wave as it can cripple fast offensive mons like lopunny, and gives it a way of bypassing checks and counters like heatran. Spikes is a great way to apply offensive pressure and can really limit the switches opponents can make. It also goes well with reuniclus and lopunny. Power whip was chosen over gyro ball to hit water types.

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Healing Wish
This slot I kept changing around a lot, from Zapdos to even celebi. Finally, i settled for Latias. My team really struggles against zard y, volcanion, and keldeo. Latias is an excellent answer to all of those, as well as various other special attackers. I chose latias over latios as the extra bulk truly mattered for this team, and I was willing to forgo the offensive prowess. Bolt beam provides nice coverage, and hits a wide range of threats. Recover over roost as it does not lose the ground immunity from recover. I could have used defog, but pretty much my entire team was resistant or immune to stealth rocks so I chose healing wish. Healing wish is especially helpful at giving lopunny and ferrothorn another chance should they be severeley damaged and/or statused.

Conclusion

So here's my team. Any constructive criticism is greatly appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this!!!! :)

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
- Fire Blast
- Moonblast

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Return
- Ice Beam

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Curse

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Spikes
- Power Whip

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Healing Wish

Hi! really like this team! Lopunny and Ferro+Quag are a thing of my nightmares!

I don't really think you have a ton to worry about. I was thinking Torn-T could be a problem if you lose Clefable too early. Especially with Life Orb.

I would strongly consider changing Curse to Toxic on Quagsire. I just don't think Curse is that great on him when a lot of things in the meta 2hko him, like draco meteor from the latis and Hydro Pump from specs Keldeo does a shit ton. Toxic at least lets you do something against slower, bulkier teams.

I think Latias should be changed to a standard defog set. You'd benefit from Draco Meteor in my opinion.

Psychock is definitely better on Reuniclus, at least if he's running calm mind. So please don't change that to Psychic.

Banded Scizor is a huge threat to your team, decimating Clefable, Latias, and Reuniclus. Your best bet against him is Quagsire and Ferrothorn, but Ferro hates getting superpowed in the face with a choice band adamant scizor. Alternatively you could give Latias HP Fire to lure Scizor and Ferro in. It was pretty good at doing this in the past.

Anyway dude, hope I was helpful! Peace!

Hi! really like this team! Lopunny and Ferro+Quag are a thing of my nightmares!

I don't really think you have a ton to worry about. I was thinking Torn-T could be a problem if you lose Clefable too early. Especially with Life Orb.

I would strongly consider changing Curse to Toxic on Quagsire. I just don't think Curse is that great on him when a lot of things in the meta 2hko him, like draco meteor from the latis and Hydro Pump from specs Keldeo does a shit ton. Toxic at least lets you do something against slower, bulkier teams.

I think Latias should be changed to a standard defog set. You'd benefit from Draco Meteor in my opinion.

Psychock is definitely better on Reuniclus, at least if he's running calm mind. So please don't change that to Psychic.

Banded Scizor is a huge threat to your team, decimating Clefable, Latias, and Reuniclus. Your best bet against him is Quagsire and Ferrothorn, but Ferro hates getting superpowed in the face with a choice band adamant scizor. Alternatively you could give Latias HP Fire to lure Scizor and Ferro in. It was pretty good at doing this in the past.

Anyway dude, hope I was helpful! Peace!
Thank you!
I actually am running psyshock on reuniclus, but not focus blast. sorry if i wasn't clear.
hmm ill try defog with hp fire. thanks again!!

Sorry to be annoying but is there really nothing else to improve on my team? Because i feel like theres a lot of things to improve that i cant see. Thanks

Hey pikacu221, really cool team. The I agree with Avarice that the main issue to this team would be a banded scizor, however after doing some calcs I have a different way of dealing with this.

Firstly, lets talk about Quag. Quagsire is really good on this team, however taking away from the spdef ends up meaning is also gets blown back by a banded scizor (252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Quagsire: 245-289 (62.1 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery). Despite you having switch-ins once scizor is locked into superpower, Quagsire will be so crippled a recover will be difficult getting of. For this reason I recommend Standard Quag > Your spread. Also, i don't see curse being all that useful, so I would run toxic for Lop support.

Reading your reasoning for your spread on Quag, I agree that diancie is an issue, however I believe I found a better way, outside of making Quag loose to scizor.
So Secondly, I would change up Latias spread to counter what you need it too. Run an offensive ev spread (all new sets will be at the end of the rate), with Draco, Surf, Recover and Thunderbolt. This set sounds quite strange, but let me explain.
  1. Draco is obvious stab
  2. Surf is for mega Diancie. Ferrothorn can beat any diancie set that does not include hp fire. This is important as Hp Fire will put Diancie's speed to 349, meaning latias will always outspeed and has a chance to ohko it, or put it in range for lop (184 SpA Life Orb Latias Surf vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 221-263 (91.7 - 109.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO).
  3. Thunderbolt is because looking at your team, skarmory is a huge nuisance. Thunderbolt is a guaranteed 2HKO on both the spdef set and defensive set, both of which are lured by latias.
    1. 184 SpA Life Orb Latias Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 195-231 (58.3 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    2. 184 SpA Life Orb Latias Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 286-338 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  4. Roost is crucial to latias. Roost means you can not only take on keldeo, but you can also take on zard y (tbolt is great for this) as well as volcanion, both of which can destroys your team.

Lastly, I'd change the moves up on Ferrothorn. So I would go Gyro Ball > Power Whip, not only for a 100% accurate way of hitting diancie, but with the changes made on latias, water types are much easier to beat. Last I would go Stealth Rock > Spikes. While spikes are good, this team is hit much harder by flying types, like banded talon, than spike weak things such as heatran, making stealth rocks the more beneficial of the two hazards.

So to sum it up:
standard defensive spread with toxic
change in set (will include at bottom)
gyro ball > power whip & stealth rocks > spikes

I hope all this helped man! PS feel free to pm me on forums, or if you see me on ps! (I am a driver in rmt chat) go ahead and message me.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Curse

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Surf

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

PS: I realize you do not have hazard control anymore, however you have 2 magic guard users, 3 resistances, and the only mon that takes neutral has recovery. Also, opponent defog could be easily pressured.

Last edited:
Hey pikacu221, really cool team. The I agree with Avarice that the main issue to this team would be a banded scizor, however after doing some calcs I have a different way of dealing with this.

Firstly, lets talk about Quag. Quagsire is really good on this team, however taking away from the spdef ends up meaning is also gets blown back by a banded scizor (252+ Atk Choice Band Scizor Superpower vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Quagsire: 245-289 (62.1 - 73.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery). Despite you having switch-ins once scizor is locked into superpower, Quagsire will be so crippled a recover will be difficult getting of. For this reason I recommend Standard Quag > Your spread. Also, i don't see curse being all that useful, so I would run toxic for Lop support.

Reading your reasoning for your spread on Quag, I agree that diancie is an issue, however I believe I found a better way, outside of making Quag loose to scizor.
So Secondly, I would change up Latias spread to counter what you need it too. Run an offensive ev spread (all new sets will be at the end of the rate), with Draco, Surf, Recover and Thunderbolt. This set sounds quite strange, but let me explain.
  1. Draco is obvious stab
  2. Surf is for mega Diancie. Ferrothorn can beat any diancie set that does not include hp fire. This is important as Hp Fire will put Diancie's speed to 349, meaning latias will always outspeed and has a chance to ohko it, or put it in range for lop (184 SpA Life Orb Latias Surf vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 221-263 (91.7 - 109.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO).
  3. Thunderbolt is because looking at your team, skarmory is a huge nuisance. Thunderbolt is a guaranteed 2HKO on both the spdef set and defensive set, both of which are lured by latias.
    1. 184 SpA Life Orb Latias Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Skarmory: 195-231 (58.3 - 69.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
    2. 184 SpA Life Orb Latias Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 286-338 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
  4. Roost is crucial to latias. Roost means you can not only take on keldeo, but you can also take on zard y (tbolt is great for this) as well as volcanion, both of which can destroys your team.

Lastly, I'd change the moves up on Ferrothorn. So I would go Gyro Ball > Power Whip, not only for a 100% accurate way of hitting diancie, but with the changes made on latias, water types are much easier to beat. Last I would go Stealth Rock > Spikes. While spikes are good, this team is hit much harder by flying types, like banded talon, than spike weak things such as heatran, making stealth rocks the more beneficial of the two hazards.

So to sum it up:
standard defensive spread with toxic
change in set (will include at bottom)
gyro ball > power whip & stealth rocks > spikes

I hope all this helped man! PS feel free to pm me on forums, or if you see me on ps! (I am a driver in rmt chat) go ahead and message me.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake
- Toxic

Latias @ Leftovers
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Surf

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball

PS: I realize you do not have hazard control anymore, however you have 2 magic guard users, 3 resistances, and the only mon that takes neutral has recovery. Also, opponent defog could be easily pressured.
Thank you for your input!!
I'll definitely use these changes. My clefable does have stealth rock already though which is why im using spikes.
Also, just a quick question, is there a particular reason to use roost over recover? Losing the ground immunity from roost seems to not be worth it, unless im missing something?
Thanks again

Oh i
Thank you for your input!!
I'll definitely use these changes. My clefable does have stealth rock already though which is why im using spikes.
Also, just a quick question, is there a particular reason to use roost over recover? Losing the ground immunity from roost seems to not be worth it, unless im missing something?
Thanks again
Lol I missed clef rocks, go ahead and run spikes than yea haha. And roost = recover. Roost takes away the flying type of a mon, which on most cases is the ground immunity. Latias however has levitate as it's ground immunity so it won't change a thing. Also roost has the same pp as recovery so there is actually 0 reason one is better than the other, I mostly run it out of habit for typing roost. Maybe there is a in-game reason for one being better, but this is ps so it doesn't matter lol.

Hi! Your team looks really threatening and I like the concept a lot! I just would consider a couple of changes:
1. Your team is quite physical heavy. Don't worry, not a problem , I tend to run a lot of physical mons as well. But yes, the great threat that is will-o-wisp is out there, and your team hurts from it (you mentioned Mega Sableye). Your team's only true mons that get around burns are reuniclus, and possibly latias. I didn't mention clefable, because of an already somewhat average at best special attack stat (with no investment) isn't really doing you any favors. Not to mention Reuniclus and Latias are weak to mega Sableye, a calm mind/will-o Sab set makes quick work of your team. What I would suggest would be to get rid of rocks on Clef, and move them to Ferro, and replace rocks with heal bell on Clef. being able to negate burns give Lopunny a get out of jail free, gives quagsire a bit more power in situations, and makes ferrothorn's Lefties+Leech Seed combo more threatening, so it doesn't take residual damage.
2. Thunderbolt is unnecessary on Latios. I know you're concerned about water types, but there simply aren't that many in OU to be afraid of to justify both ice beam and tbolt (seeing as how tbolt is only there for flying types, and icebeam covers flying as well). Instead, try either Draco Meteor or HP Fire (for scizor and Ferro). Other's have suggested Defog, but honestly, your team doesn't suffer too much from rocks, seeing as how 3 mons resist stealth rocks, and 1 one is immune to them.
Either than that, your team seems pretty solid friend. Good luck with these last few days of ORAS meta!
-0verloud

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)