Reuniclus

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Because stallteams cannot run Tyranitar and Scizor reliably while the offensive opponent can run both Rankurusu and T-tar/Scizor as they work very well together.
Tyranitar starts infinite sandstorm and Pursuits spinblockers, which can cause a headache for stall teams. It's been a staple of many Gen 4 stall teams, and only looks to be more popular in Gen 5, to change the weather from Rain or Sun and put a wrench in the works of Rain teams that would otherwise walk all over traditional stall teams.

All these calculations have been made against a maximum Physically invested Spiritomb

CB T-tar Crunch: 49.7% - 58.6%
CB Scizor U-turn: 42.1% - 50%
Yache SD Chomp Outrage: 44.4% - 52.3% after SD: 88.2% - 103.9%
Gliscor can set up with ease thanks to it's immunity to Burn
Life Orb Doryuuzu EQ: 49.3% - 58.2% after SD: 98% - 115.8%
Roobushin can set up with ease as well considering you actually boost it's power after a burn
Gyarados: Most common version nowadays is the taunt version to stop Nattorei, spiritomb can't touch it.
Dragonite: I'll give you this one.
LO Blaziken Flare Blitz: 54.3% - 64.1% after SD 107.9% - 127.3%
Metagross Meteor Smash: 41.8% - 49.3% -> you induce burn than you die i hope for you it doesn't have Lum berry
Lucario: I'll give you this one
LO Randorusu: 61.2% - 72% in Sandstorm
LO Cloyster Icicle Spear: 52.6% - 62.5% after Shell Break: 105.6% - 124.3%
Choice Scarf Jirachi: 25% - 29.6% -> you may win if you're lucky

I wouldn't consider a pokemon who can only reliably stop 2 out of 15 of Generation V's top physical sweepers with a maximum defensive investment to be an effective physicall wall.
You do realize burns halve Attack, right?

CBTar does around 50% with Crunch, Spiritomb burns it, and it's basically useless for the rest of the match. Choiced versions of Garchomp are far more often used than Swords Dance versions, and Spiritomb easily burns those and Rests off the damage. Gliscor is never used as a sweeper. Roobushin can only use a 50 BP Payback to try to hurt Spiritomb, allowing Spiritomb to whittle it down with Shadow Ball while taking only 14.5%-17.1% from a +0 Payback, and still very little, even with boosts from Bulk Up. Gyarados is never used as a sweeper. Spiritomb burns Metagross and Rests off the damage.

Need I go on? The "expansive list" you provided nowhere near represents the majority of Generation 5 sweepers. I'm not trying to say that Spiritomb is a wall capable of stopping all sweepers; indeed, that's not the issue at hand. But Spiritomb is absolutely capable of stopping a significant enough portion of sweepers that it is in no way "dead weight" on a stall team besides stopping Rankurusu. Let's stop kicking this dead horse.

I have read Obi's stall team with much interest and yes, and i admit it was an effective team during Generation IV. However that it was effective back than doesn't necessarly mean it's effective in Generation V

How is 8 PP enough? Take the fellowing scenario: starting with a Heatran-blissey matchup
Turn 1
Heatran switches out to Rankurusu
Blissey does whatever(can't hurt it anyway)

Turn 2
Blissey switches out to Celebi
Rankurusu uses Calm Mind

Turn 3
Celebi uses Perish Song
Rankurusu uses Psycho Shock

Turn 4
Celebi uses recover
Rankurusu switches out to Heatran

Turn 5
Celebi switches out to Blissey
Heatran uses whatever( can't touch blissey regardless)

Repeat this proces 8 times and the Rankurusu user wins, i've done this 3 times succesfully on the ladder. While it doesn't work in a simple proces like that in a real game it usually comes to switching in Rankurusu 8 times which is incredibly easy against a stallteam.
You do realize how Perish Song is supposed to be used, right? You don't immediately switch in and use it as Rankurusu switches in, to force it out immediately. It's meant to be used to stop a sweep by a bulky set-upper, not to be the first response to it. Anyone who uses it that way is misusing the move; if they're spamming it every time Rankurusu comes in, of course it'll lose PP quickly.

Tyranitar starts infinite sandstorm and Pursuits spinblockers, which can cause a headache for stall teams. It's been a staple of many Gen 4 stall teams, and only looks to be more popular in Gen 5, to change the weather from Rain or Sun and put a wrench in the works of Rain teams that would otherwise walk all over traditional stall teams.
Tyranitar was reasonably common in Gen IV stall to pursuit the only reliable spinner Starmie. Now that the Rotom forms are gone and Nattorei has become the most common user of entry hazards, people prefer to use Forretress as their main spinner. As a result there is no reason anymore to reduce your team's defences by running a scarftar in your team.

If you need a summoner of permanent sandstorm i'd say Hippowdon would suit the stall team much more than Tyranitar does

CBTar does around 50% with Crunch, Spiritomb burns it, and it's basically useless for the rest of the match. Choiced versions of Garchomp are far more often used than Swords Dance versions, and Spiritomb easily burns those and Rests off the damage. Gliscor is never used as a sweeper. Roobushin can only use a 50 BP Payback to try to hurt Spiritomb, allowing Spiritomb to whittle it down with Shadow Ball while taking only 14.5%-17.1% from a +0 Payback, and still very little, even with boosts from Bulk Up. Gyarados is never used as a sweeper. Spiritomb burns Metagross and Rests off the damage.
Perhaps you haven't realized it yet but stall needs a reliable switchin, not something that can beat those one on one. I'm wondering in what kind of world you are living in if you think nobody is running SD gliscor, while it's in fact very common. Check here if you don't believe me.

Also ''Gyarados is never used as a sweeper?'' What? You can't be serious here lol.

Need I go on? The "expansive list" you provided nowhere near represents the majority of Generation 5 sweepers. I'm not trying to say that Spiritomb is a wall capable of stopping all sweepers; indeed, that's not the issue at hand. But Spiritomb is absolutely capable of stopping a significant enough portion of sweepers that it is in no way "dead weight" on a stall team besides stopping Rankurusu. Let's stop kicking this dead horse.
Which common physicall sweepers have i forgotten? It would have been nice if you would backup your argument with real examples.

You do realize how Perish Song is supposed to be used, right? You don't immediately switch in and use it as Rankurusu switches in, to force it out immediately. It's meant to be used to stop a sweep by a bulky set-upper, not to be the first response to it. Anyone who uses it that way is misusing the move; if they're spamming it every time Rankurusu comes in, of course it'll lose PP quickly.
Than when are you going to use it? After 2 calm minds? Doesn't matter when you use it, the results are pretty much the same.

My argument is that I run a bunch of NUs/ UUs and I never have significant problems with him. Between my Scyther and Houndoom he usually doesn't last long. If two NUs check him pretty well why is he being considered for Ubers?

A lot of sensationalism I think.

My argument is that I run a bunch of NUs/ UUs and I never have significant problems with him. Between my Scyther and Houndoom he usually doesn't last long. If two NUs check him pretty well why is he being considered for Ubers?

A lot of sensationalism I think.
Because that implies he's so centralizing that you need NU Pokemon on your team in order to prepare for it, which are otherwise near useless??? As a result you aren't prepared for other threats... ANYWAY

Because that implies he's so centralizing that you need NU Pokemon on your team in order to prepare for it, which are otherwise near useless??? As a result you aren't prepared for other threats... ANYWAY
...What? So, because the best pokemon in OU (OU= best for some reason) can't check him, people are forced to use worse/ weaker pokemon from lower tiers, that aren't good enough to be in OU in the first place, to check him?

Also, its a typical response to deem NU/ UUs "otherwise useless" if you haven't used them. They're not, and your argument is all kinds of stupid.

My argument is that I run a bunch of NUs/ UUs and I never have significant problems with Kyogre. Between my Gastrodon and Lanturn, Kyogre usually doesn't last long. If two NUs check Kyogre pretty well why is he being considered Uber?

Perhaps now you realize why your argument doesn't hold ground

BurningMan

fueled by beer
Tyranitar was reasonably common in Gen IV stall to pursuit the only reliable spinner Starmie. Now that the Rotom forms are gone and Nattorei has become the most common user of entry hazards, people prefer to use Forretress as their main spinner. As a result there is no reason anymore to reduce your team's defences by running a scarftar in your team.

why would you use scarftar? you could use BandTar/MixedTar etc all of these can possibly run bulky spreads therefore you don't reduce your teams defense and he said it was used to get rid of enemys spinblockers wich is a good reason to run TTar on a stall team if it struggles with entry hazards.

If you need a summoner of permanent sandstorm i'd say Hippowdon would suit the stall team much more than Tyranitar does

Only because Hippowdon is a better full out wall it doesn't means it fits better on all stall teams.

Perhaps you haven't realized it yet but stall needs a reliable switchin, not something that can beat those one on one. I'm wondering in what kind of world you are living in if you think nobody is running SD gliscor, while it's in fact very common. Check here if you don't believe me.

Saying that a lot of ppl use SD gliscor is an exegaration i occasionally run into one, but imo its really not its most effective set because its deadweigth against offensive teams.

Also ''Gyarados is never used as a sweeper?'' What? You can't be serious here lol.

Never is the wrong word but out of 10 gyaras maybe one or two run Dragon Dance.

Which common physicall sweepers have i forgotten? It would have been nice if you would backup your argument with real examples.

DD Kingdra comes to my mind, but other than that this list was pretty complete though some of these Pokemon usually don't run LO (Dory and Cloyster being the most notable ones)

Than when are you going to use it? After 2 calm minds? Doesn't matter when you use it, the results are pretty much the same.

When the rest of the team is dead and the opponent can't switch anymore, before that you simply phaze it out.

My argument is that I run a bunch of NUs/ UUs and I never have significant problems with Kyogre. Between my Gastrodon and Lanturn, Kyogre usually doesn't last long. If two NUs check Kyogre pretty well why is he being considered Uber?

Perhaps now you realize why your argument doesn't hold ground
Perhaps you should realise that Ubers is not an "average" metagame comparable to the OU metagame, so that analogy is worthless.

TTar is used on a lot of stall teams but I guess then it's not really full stall anymore, it's semi-stall. It's an incredibly good pokemon with so many uses and under sandstorm, it can serve as a very nice special wall. Hippo can be good but Gliscor can do a lot of what hippo does and much more so most people use that. As it's pretty much redundant to have both, I see a lot more TTar + Gliscor for SS stall teams than Hippo.

Also, cosmicexplorer is right. You clearly don't know how to use perish song. It's meant to stop a last pokemon setup sweep, not be used every time it comes in. A 6 wall stall team should have a reliable way of phazing it out. Even though you can't hurt it because of magic guard and lack of any sort of attack power, the rest of their team will eventually die from phazing if they keep attempting to bring rankurusu back in.

One really needs a lot of patience to stay calm around here, at least cosmicexplorer does an effort to make a decent argument... but this is just getting ridiculous. Here it goes i suppose:

why would you use scarftar? you could use BandTar/MixedTar etc all of these can possibly run bulky spreads therefore you don't reduce your teams defense and he said it was used to get rid of enemys spinblockers wich is a good reason to run TTar on a stall team if it struggles with entry hazards.
No matter how bulky you run your Tyranitar it's horrible typing won't allow it to be an effective wall. Also i'd rather run Toxic on my spinner to defeat Burunguru than to waste an entire teamslot on a pokemon i don't aside from killing Rankurusu. In that case i'd rather use Barujiina who also defeats Rankurusu but can actually wall things.

Also since when is Tyranitar a reliable switch into Rankurusu? No way i'm going to risk getting a focus Blast in my face.

Only because Hippowdon is a better full out wall it doesn't means it fits better on all stall teams.
The only stallteams i can imagine in which Tyranitar is better than Hippowdon are those who run a mix of stall and offensive, oh wait those aren't stallteams anymore.

Saying that a lot of ppl use SD gliscor is an exegaration i occasionally run into one, but imo its really not its most effective set because its deadweigth against offensive teams.
The No1 on the ladder used this set and you consider it to be ineffective?

Never is the wrong word but out of 10 gyaras maybe one or two run Dragon Dance.
Source? The only statistics we have of the 5th generation show Dragon Dance to be on most sets

When the rest of the team is dead and the opponent can't switch anymore, before that you simply phaze it out.
So you hope that your opponents team sucks enough so that it can't switchin 8 times? Stall teams take a long time to defeat their opponents as such hoping that you can defeat your opponent in such a timeperiod is quite an unreliable method.

Also, cosmicexplorer is right. You clearly don't know how to use perish song. It's meant to stop a last pokemon setup sweep, not be used every time it comes in. A 6 wall stall team should have a reliable way of phazing it out. Even though you can't hurt it because of magic guard and lack of any sort of attack power, the rest of their team will eventually die from phazing if they keep attempting to bring rankurusu back in.
So you need a phazer that can easily take both an LO Psychic and Focus Blast after one boost AND a pokemon that knows Perish Song to defeat Rankurusu? Isn't the fact that you need 2 pokemon to beat it a testament on how powerful Rankurusu really is against stall?

Perhaps you should realise that Ubers is not an "average" metagame comparable to the OU metagame, so that analogy is worthless.
Call the counterargument worthless, that is indeed a very productive way to hold a discussion.

Bottom line is, this thing isn't overcentralizing in the least, and stall has ways to beat it without even going out of its way. Tyranitar, Spiritomb, Celebi, Latias as I've pointed out before are usually present on a stall team (at least 1 of the 4!) and will beat rank with their standard sets without even specializing. Even still, it is the job of a stall team to respond to the metagame's threats, which would encourage the use of a dedicated Rank "counter." I don't get where the argument for Uber is coming in at all.

So you need a phazer that can easily take both an LO Psychic and Focus Blast after one boost AND a pokemon that knows Perish Song to defeat Rankurusu? Isn't the fact that you need 2 pokemon to beat it a testament on how powerful Rankurusu really is against stall?
You're acting like a phazer and a perish song user is used only for rankurusu. If you use a 6 wall stall team, then both are pretty much staples because you lack any way of killing bulky setup sweepers otherwise.

Call the counterargument worthless, that is indeed a very productive way to hold a discussion indeed.
It was actually you who undermined my argument first. Anyway, my point still stands. The Uber metagame exists because said Pokemon are so overpowered that only their own ilk, for want of a better word, can compete successfully with them. Hence the tier being comprised entirely of Legendaries/ Pseudos. Now I'm not making the argument that Legendary= Uber, because everyone knows thats not true, I'm just trying to establish why Ubers must be treated differently to OU.

To put this in perspective, only one Pokemon has a BST below 600, and only one is not a legendary/ pseudo- legendary. The pokemon I'm talking about is Wobuffet. For obvious reasons I'm not going to start discussing why it deserves to be Uber. Reuniclus, by comparison, has a BST of 490.

By virtue of this low BST it means that Reuniclus isn't overpowered from the get go, and is easily checked by a lot of different Pokemon, from NU's to OUs.

Anyway, thats the long version. The short version is: tons of different Pokemon have the potential to revenge/ stop/ check Reuniclus. It's not Uber.

You're acting like a phazer and a perish song user is used only for rankurusu. If you use a 6 wall stall team, then both are pretty much staples because you lack any way of killing bulky setup sweepers otherwise.
The problem is that most reliable phazers in stall take heavy damage from Rankurusu when they force it out(Skarmory, Hippowdon, Gyarados, Swampert, etc)

Bottom line is, this thing isn't overcentralizing in the least, and stall has ways to beat it without even going out of its way. Tyranitar, Spiritomb, Celebi, Latias as I've pointed out before are usually present on a stall team (at least 1 of the 4!) and will beat rank with their standard sets without even specializing. Even still, it is the job of a stall team to respond to the metagame's threats, which would encourage the use of a dedicated Rank "counter." I don't get where the argument for Uber is coming in at all.
It's a delight to see that the list of counterarguments to a similar post that i have PM'd to you got completely ignored(sarcasm) You sir should go into politics, they practice those argumentive strategies of ignorance there as well.

It was actually you who undermined my argument first. Anyway, my point still stands. The Uber metagame exists because said Pokemon are so overpowered that only their own ilk, for want of a better word, can compete successfully with them. Hence the tier being comprised entirely of Legendaries/ Pseudos. Now I'm not making the argument that Legendary= Uber, because everyone knows thats not true, I'm just trying to establish why Ubers must be treated differently to OU.
The point of my anology was just to show that being able to beat it with NU does not necessarly mean it should stay in OU. It doesn't mean anything at all(luvdisk can defeat Wobbuffet one on one after all)

Pretty much.
How would a 6 wall stall team handle Sigilyph,Cleffable,or anything else that doesn't care for status or hazards?
Ban it? Because that's apparently the best way.

The point of my anology was just to show that being able to beat it with NU does not necessarly mean it should stay in OU. It doesn't mean anything at all(luvdisk can defeat Wobbuffet one on one after all)
Similar to how my post was to point out that just because the two most popular Dark/ Bug Pokemon in OU seemingly (I have no idea how or why, but apparently they do) have trouble stopping Reuniclus, doesn't mean that other Pokemon can't, and doesn't mean it should be banned to Ubers of all places.

To put this in perspective, only one Pokemon has a BST below 600, and only one is not a legendary/ pseudo- legendary. The pokemon I'm talking about is Wobuffet. For obvious reasons I'm not going to start discussing why it deserves to be Uber. Reuniclus, by comparison, has a BST of 490.

By virtue of this low BST it means that Reuniclus isn't overpowered from the get go, and is easily checked by a lot of different Pokemon, from NU's to OUs.
The uber list also includes inconsistent which was deemed too broken no matter what pokemon possessed it including bidoof. Also BST is no determination for banning, going by your logic Slaking and Regigigas should be banned due to their massive BST's. Although a pokemon's stats are factors in banning its overcentralization that is the real culprit. I'm not going to comment on the brokeness of Reuniclus, but stating that it has a low BST and therefore is not broken is not a strong argument.

How would a 6 wall stall team handle Sigilyph,Cleffable,or anything else that doesn't care for status or hazards?
I may write an essay of 20 pages why your way of thinking is wrong but i doubt you'd read it, considering you haven't read those counterarguments of numerous people before you who pointed that out. Perhaps one day you'll realize by yourself why your arguments are much worse than those anyone else in this topic. Once that day comes i'll bother giving a counterargument to you.

Similar to how my post was to point out that just because the two most popular Dark/ Bug Pokemon in OU seemingly (I have no idea how or why, but apparently they do) have trouble stopping Reuniclus, doesn't mean that other Pokemon can't, and doesn't mean it should be banned to Ubers of all places.
I have never ever said that Scizor or T-tar we're unable to beat Rankurusu, please don't put flawed arguments of others in my mouth. The only thing i've said is that common stall type pokemon have trouble facing it that's all.

I don't want Rankurusu banned, i just find it so unfortunate that many people here never bother to do some research. Do you never actually think about it why a few top players may consider to be too powerfull?

EDIT: I only came here trying to explain things, not to win an argument. If people are not interested in listening to the words of others than i'll leave it like this.
Bye everyone!(im not gone from smogon just this topic =) )

I may write an essay of 20 pages why your way of thinking is wrong but i doubt you'd read it, considering you haven't read those counterarguments of numerous people before you who pointed that out. Perhaps one day you'll realize by yourself why your arguments are much worse than those anyone else in this topic. Once that day comes i'll bother giving a counterargument to you.

I have never ever said that Scizor or T-tar we're unable to beat Rankurusu, please don't put flawed arguments of others in my mouth. The only thing i've said is that common stall type pokemon have trouble facing it that's all.

I don't want Rankurusu banned, i just find it so unfortunate that many people here never bother to do some research. Do you never actually think about it why a few top players may consider to be too powerfull?
Why not just ANSWER my damn question instead of repeating the same crap?
You see those 20 or so pages? Do you see the Suspect Testing Topic with 100+ pages?
WE'VE DISCUSSED IT.

The problem is that most reliable phazers in stall take heavy damage from Rankurusu when they force it out(Skarmory, Hippowdon, Gyarados, Swampert, etc)
Yes name primarily physical walls that are going to take lots of damage from a special attack. Psychic types like mew or latias have no problem taking a hit and have reliable recovery to keep doing it. Specially bulky waters like vaporeon or milotic can also do it. I'm sure there are others but roaring it is also not the only way to force it out. Things that can taunt, take a hit and heal itself will force it out as it's only wasting PP if it can't set up or recover. MH sableye comes to mind and I think burungeru learns it too. Something with encore can come in and encore the CM and if they learn and attack next time, then you can play around that. Quagsire does it fairly well. Honestly the list goes on and this is just ways to phaze it for perish song later which is just one of many strategies of dealing with it that have already been listed.

Pretty much.
I'm not even talking about the stuff with magic guard. Any bulky set up sweeper that either has rest or doesn't care about poison can take out a 6 wall team that can't stop a last pokemon set up. I mentioned BU zuruzukin and CM jirachi as the two that immediately came to mind.

Just start using rest-talk shufflers. A lot of things can run rest+sleep talk+two phazing moves with the addition of Dragon Tail, which has good distribution. They will all shuffle around offensive teams while having easily-covered weaknesses, and I guarantee you that they'll ALL outspeed rank and give you a 8/9ths chance of phazing it out over two turns, and a 2/3 chance of doing so before it can even begin to set up or attack you.

I really don't like what has been said thousands of times before, but maybe someone will actually read it this time.

Any stall teams that are sweept by Reuniclus are likewise swept by ANY set-up sweeper with either Magic Guard or Rest. That is a significant hole. You can't expect to run a stall team where you are eaten alive by any pokemon that don't mind residal damage and can set up. If that's your team's problem, you have much more than Reuniclus to worry about.

Lets look break things down a it. If there was a Pokemon that was so good against offense that every offense team was forced to run a completely outclassed Pokemon to reliably be competitive, there would be outcry, and it would be banned immediately. You cannot dispute this.
Now look at the same situation, except with Stall instead of offense. There is a Pokemon which forces Stall teams to take measures which cripple the team as a whole, otherwise said Stall team will lose. Again this is pretty much undisputable.
But lets look at the reaction. You have the offense players, who are only able to scream 'just do this' with no real understanding of how good stall works, you have the small number of offense players who nput more thought into it and aknwoledge that maybe it might be broken but they aren't sure because they aren't Stall players, you have the majority of Stall players, who want it to be banned because they don't enjoy having their team crippled, and you have the small minority of Stall players who have unorthodox or less effective teams and so are not quite acquaintd with the problem with it.
You also have the occaisional bull-headed retard who doesn't want Rank to be banned because he thinks that even if a Pokemon removes a whole playstyle from viability, he's too ignorant to see that that justifies a ban, but there aren't many of those in this thread.
EDIT: Also, I am fed up of being told that my stall team obviously sucks because it has trouble with Rankurusu. Firstly, Bulky Set-upper with Rest is a stupid argument because they are beaten by entry hazards when such hazards are utilised effectively. Other Magic Guard users is a little more valid, but the issue with them is that they cannot do significant damage until they have set up, and so are much more vulnerable to phazing. The same cannot be said for Reuniclus.

I still stick by my sentiment that playstyles alone shouldn't alone decide the fate of a Pokemon. If your playstyle is handled extremely well by one Pokemon, the first response shouldn't be "This thing should be banned." It should be "Maybe my playstyle isn't as reliable in this metagame anymore. It can handle all these other Pokemon, but it can't handle everything, and that's a sacrifice I have to make when there are 649 Pokemon to combat."

It's like going into the new generation with the mindset that X, Y, and Z playstyles have to be viable by word of God, and if anything compromises one of those playstyles then we should ban things to force the playstyle to be viable. Like I said before, the current roster of Pokemon should determine viable playstyles, not the other way around.

I also think it's pretty ironic how people have complained about Reuniclus restricting variety in the metagame, and yet anytime somebody suggests a way for stall teams to combat it, the response seems to be "no that sucks." Doesn't seem like you want variety anyway. You just want to use what you want to use and you want it to work - have your cake and eat it too, so to speak.

cosmicexplorer

pewpewpew
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

That's not what I was saying. Tyranitar is able to do huge damage to and Pursuit spinblockers, while Forry cannot. Many stall pokemon are much less able to wall offensive pokemon with Spikes and other hazards up, which is why Forretress, along with its ability to setup hazards, is so useful to stall teams, to remove that residual damage which allows many pokemon to blow past dedicated walls; for example, with a couple layers of Spikes, Lucario's CC OHKOs Hippowdon. Tyranitar can remove spinblockers to allow walls to more effectively perform their job, and as such is quite useful on a stall team. It can also Pursuit Starmie, as it could last gen, and provides some very useful offensive support, as well as providing some useful special bulk with its equivalent of 175 base Special Defense. Kevin Garrett's stall team utilized Tyranitar quite effectively.

Perhaps you haven't realized it yet, but a lot of the pokemon you mentioned have no reliable switchin. CBTar's Aqua Tail 2HKOs Hippowdon, and Stone Edge 2HKOs Skarmory after SR. CBGross's Meteor Mash 2HKOs Hippowdon, and ThunderPunch 2HKOs Skarmory after SR. Giving the most monstrous Attack stats in the game, which can crush any wall in their path, as an example to show that a single pokemon is unfit for a stall team is completely illogical. In fact, Spiritomb was a staple on Gen 4 stall teams before the advent of Rotom-A, which only had the advantage of Levitate over Spiritomb. Without Rotom-A's Ghost typing, Spiritomb isn't such an illogical choice, as it is one of the two spinblockers without a weakness to Pursuit, which plagues such pokemon as Burungeru.

SD Gliscor is actually very uncommon; part of the reason that the team was so effective was because of the ubiquity of Protect/Fling/Acrobat/Earthquake Gliscor, which allowed the set to thrive. Gyarados is also never used as a sweeper in Gen 5. Have you actually played the Smogon ladder? Spiritomb has the bulk to take attacks from many common offensive pokemon and burn them, rendering them next to useless for the rest of the match.

I meant that you used absolutely ludicrous examples to "prove" that Spiritomb is unviable for OU play, and I gave examples to show that Spiritomb is able to wall many, in fact most, of the pokemon you did give as examples.

One really needs a lot of patience to stay calm around here, at least cosmicexplorer does an effort to make a decent argument... but this is just getting ridiculous. Here it goes i suppose:

No matter how bulky you run your Tyranitar it's horrible typing won't allow it to be an effective wall. Also i'd rather run Toxic on my spinner to defeat Burunguru than to waste an entire teamslot on a pokemon i don't aside from killing Rankurusu. In that case i'd rather use Barujiina who also defeats Rankurusu but can actually wall things.
Tyranitar can't be an effective wall with the equivalent of 175 base Special Defense. Right. Oh by the way, another Rankurusu counter!

Also since when is Tyranitar a reliable switch into Rankurusu? No way i'm going to risk getting a focus Blast in my face.
Because Rankurusu's going to open with a 70% accuracy Fighting-type attack that does absolutely nothing to the Psychic-types that can basically switch in on it for free and CM up. That's a complete waste of a turn, and allows stuff like Wobbuffet or Shandera to switch in and get a free kill.

The only stallteams i can imagine in which Tyranitar is better than Hippowdon are those who run a mix of stall and offensive, oh wait those aren't stallteams anymore.
Besides the fact that this is patently wrong, as has been mentioned many times in this thread, with the addition of a Magic Guard pokemon that isn't pointless against non-full-stall teams, stall teams in this generation simply have to adapt to the fact that Magic Guard is now in common usage. Again, Clefable did exactly the same to full stall in Generation 4, and in Generation 5, but I don't see anyone calling that overpowered. Full stall teams just lost to Clefable due to Magic Guard, and the same is true for Rankurusu. The only difference is that Rankurusu is more powerful and much more commonly used. With the addition of a Magic Guard pokemon that people actually use, stall teams have to adapt and carry something that can defeat it. Many of its counters have been mentioned in this thread, none of which you seem to be recognizing as legitimate.

EDIT: Well, I guess I won't be getting a response to this. I appreciate the effort you put into argumentation, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)