Gen 2 RMT and some questions

I'm running the following team, all pkm carry leftovers:

1) Zapdos - Restalker, tbolt and drill peck
2) Suicuine - Surf, Ice beam, rest, roar
3) Golem - Eq, HP rock (rock slide is illegal) , rapid spin, roar
4) Machamp - Cross Chop, Curse, Restalker
5) Umbreon - Rest, Pursuit, Charm, Toxic
6) Snorlax - return, belly drum, eq, rest

NOTES: 1) I consider Jynx a real pain in the neck, how to handle it effectively with this team (make the necessary modifications)?
2) Please, fell free to change any pkm or moveset, except for Machamp: it must be on the team! (you may modify its moveset, though)

By the way, let me ask two questions
a) Can a sucuine carrying ice beam be considered a Dragonite counter?
b) Is a rapid spinner essencial in GSC? So, is dropping golem for rhydon a good idea?

Thanks for your help

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
1) With your current team, switching in machamp/zapdos to take the sleep then switching out quickly is your best bet.

2) Suicune is your weakest link. The only thing it is switching in on is Rhydon, so feel free to replace it with a more offensive water or grass pokemon.

A) Barely. If Dragonite is running Thunder, or spikes are down, Suicune will have a lot of trouble switching into it continuously until it finally loses. Note that this only applies if it is running Thunder/bolt.

B) Spikes on your side of the field forces you to work harder to keep your pokemon alive. This is especially so when just one of your pokemon do not have a way to regain lost health. If that certain poke dies, it may leave yourself open to a possible threat.

In short, Rapid Spin is great utility. The lack of it may lead your team to a loss.

Your team sort of lacks real fluidity. For example, Umbreon alone won't always insure your Machamp's success. I'd focus more on getting Machamp's counters down. Running a Cloyster to draw in Starmie for a big kaboom works well, among other things.

Assuming Luna (LK, IB, Psychic, Sub), Sleep Talk on Suicune would fix it. If banned set (LK, ML, PS, Protect), don't bother.

Umbreon is pointless.

Rapid Spin is quite important on your team, since it's rather slow. Golem won't work, you'll need something that'll last. Plus, Donphan runs that set infinitely better.

IB Suicune is generally enough to beat Dragonite. However for your team, Dragonite can safely switch into Machamp/Umbreon and one para/CH means Suicune's death.

Rapid Spinner can be scrapped if you house a fast-paced team, or if you're adequately skilled (and few are).

Just curiosity: why LK, ML, Protect and PS is banned on jynx?

So, how to counter Dragonite, since if I use Sleep Talk on Suicune (I'm willing to use it) I have nothing to deal with it ?

And should I replace Umberon for what, maybe a pkm that could counter Dragonite and at the same time assist Machamp (Idk if there is any)?

What rapid spinner should i use?

Just curiosity: why LK, ML, Protect and PS is banned on jynx?
Well, basically Lovely Kiss / Hypnosis + Mean Look / Spider Web + Perish Song are just too good and they don't have any true counters. Same thing goes to Smergal sets that have both Baton Pass + Mean Look + Spore. To a lesser extent this clause applies to both the Hidden Power legend clause and Celebi being banned in standard play which I think are both unnecessary to be banned.

Answer to Borat's last post:

Seriously, I just asked because I've already thought about the reccomendations you posted and found no solution. For example, i could use raikou over zapdos to counter Dragonite and Jynx. However, I would lost my fighting/heracross resistance and then I would have to drop Umbreon for a flying pkm (maybe skarmory or even dragonite). If I picked Skarmory, I could drop golem for rhydon and use Starmie as a rapid spinner, since i wouldn't need Suicune as phazer anymore (golem uses roar mainly to counter misdreavus). This would lead me to the loss of Umbreon, which I don't consider pointless, since it can clear champ's way from psychics (tyranitar and Houndoom cannot deal with Starmie properly, undoubtedly the most used psychic) and handle jolt/walk and cursers pretty decently. So, I would like to retain Machamp and, to support it, I need Umbreon. If you know another way to help Machamp besides Umbreon, please tell me.

Of course, I could have posted all of this, but I didn't because I didn't want to influence your answer. It's not that I'm lazy and don't want to think, I only post when I cannot find a solution. If you don't want to discuss, then just make it clear on your posts, no problems, so that I will stop asking.

For the record, Umbreon doesn't solve Starmie at all -- Starmie could easily outstall Pursuit with Recover. Umbreon does absolutely nothing against Joltwak and cursers in general easy to counter. And because of this, I don't see what you're missing out on by dropping Umbreon. And it's best if you do post that since it shows you put actual thought into your posting.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
I wasn't suggesting you ditched Umbreon completely, just to get more support for Machamp. Umbreon is fine as it's ghostbusting for Machamp.

So, what kind of pkm should I use to help Machamp out? Umbreon for ghosts, electrics for Starmie, Slowbro and flying pkm and what else ? Maybe Heracross for psychics?

JMC

Old as dirt.
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Personally, you are using two pokemon slots for one: suicune and golem take up the same effort as using starmie. Starmie would also counter jynx more effectively, so try it with Surf, Psychic (a nice combatant to Gengar as Starmie is faster), Rapid Spin, Recover.

As for starmie, no one is going to leave starmie out to cloyster, as the boom is rather evident. A spiker of your own would be useful. Forrestress would assist you in spiking and rapid spinning as well, since you have your physical attackers in the forms of cursechamp and bellylax. You could potentially lose rapid spin starmie for a more supporting move (Thunder Wave, Light Screen, Reflect) with Forry running Spikes, Rapid Spin, HP Fire, explosion. If you are wanting a ground type to handle electrics, then the four big ones (Rhydon, Nidoking, Steelix, and Marowak) are great contenders. king would be great to incorporate sleep into your team. Marowak is for big damage, obviously. Steelix's resistances are amazingly useful, as it shuts down both Raikou and Zapdos, as well as any hp ice electrics. Rhydon is a powerhouse, and since you have a couple sleeptalkers, the curseset is a great possibility.

So, what kind of pkm should I use to help Machamp out? Umbreon for ghosts, electrics for Starmie, Slowbro and flying pkm and what else ? Maybe Heracross for psychics?
Well, If you're going to center your team around Machamp you might as well destroy all of it's counters with a strong Explosion. Both Starmie and Zapdos are probably the best Machamp counters so a Cloyster like both Karrot and Borat said to lure Starmie and Explode on it. Exeggutor (With Hidden Power Fire) also helps Machamp, seeing as how Zapdos commonly switches on it to take Sleep Power, but you can destory it with Explosion. Tyranitar also handles both Pokemon and it also gets Pursuit.

Oh, explosion baits, fantastic idea! How about explosion Golem, with roar (mainly for misdreavus - I am always badly concerned about it), eq and rs ? And lax? Could it work as a explosion bait too?

What pkm should I drop for Exeggutor ? Raikou, skarmory, cloyster, golem or lax ? Since this team became kind of a explosion team, I bet on Skar...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)