ORAS OU RMT: Empoleon Thundurus Offense

Hello! I'm back with another team, but this time I have read the team building guides so that I can (hopefully) produce higher quality teams. I encourage giving this team a try as it seems to be very effective at what it does. Also "ETF" refers specifically to the core of the team which does well against many leads and pretty much holds the team together, as well as a little bit of VoltTurn added it to keep momentum and really confuse the opponents.

ETT Core

I LOVE this group, and often times find myself using Empoleon and Thundurus-T on the same team since they seem to work so well together. This group also has pretty strong offensive and defensive type coverage which is a plus. I only recently put Talonflame (who I NEVER use) because it checks a lot of threats that Empoleon and Thundurus-T can't handle alone. I'll explain more on that in a bit.

SETS

Empoleon (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Empoleon is great lead and also makes good use of Defog which is REALLY useful, what with 2 Flying-type Pokemon being so important. It does a good job of luring in Pokemon like Tangrowth who would normal wall it and force me to switch if I were running a bulkier set. However, 252+ SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. 244 HP / 48 SpD Tangrowth: 308-364 (76.6 - 90.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock, lets me 2HKO on a predicted switch. If for example the opponent is running Amoongus, or Ferrothorn, I can predict the switch and go into Talonflame. And even then, 252+ SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 208-246 (48.2 - 57%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery, which is really useful with stall being all over the place. I decide to run Rocky Helmet just for a little extra chip damage, although Leftovers could be an alternative.

Talonflame (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

First things first, Mega Lopunny can do quite a bit of damage to the team. This is the reason I run Talonflame, aside from picking up the slack where Thundurus-T and Empoleon can't do anything. I needed something bulky enough to survive a Fake Out, HJK, or Return from M-Lopunny, and be able to OHKO or and least pressure it out. That is the reason for the set, which lets it do what the team needs it to do. In addition, Talonflame helps with Stall matchups as it can deal with a lot of common Pokemon that those teams usually run.
164+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 168+ Def Amoonguss: 284-336 (65.8 - 77.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

164+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Mega Venusaur: 204-240 (56.1 - 66.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

164+ Atk Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Skarmory: 216-254 (64.6 - 76%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

164+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 56 HP / 0 Def Serperior: 300-354 (98.3 - 116%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Mega Lopunny Return vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 228-268 (63.5 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

164+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 302-356 (111.4 - 131.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Since there isn't much on the team that can handle M-Lop on their own, it was pretty much required that I run this Pokemon since it can do so much, and the team benefits from having these Pokemon removed. Talonflame also makes a nice little VoltTurn Core with Thundurus-T which is really nice.

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Thundurus-T is one of the most important Pokemon and for good reason. It can switch in on Clefable with little worry, especially if they are going for Thunder Wave, which lets Thundurus-T get its HP back and go for a Knock Off to help the team kill the Clefable later on. It can also do this to Chansey, although it will likely catch a Toxic, but its still nice to remove the Eviolite. You can also bring Thundurus-T in on Rotom-W and its variants to get from HP and prevent a switch on a predicted Volt Switch, which can really screw up your opponents game. In addition to this, Thundurus-I won't be able to spam TW since you can just switch in and absorb it, and then Volt Switch out or HP Ice. If Stealth Rocks were up when the Thundurus-I came in, your HP Ice should more than likely kill it. Also, you can OHKO Landorus-T and Lead Garchomp sets, as well as OHKOing standard Tank Chomp. You can also predict a Ttar switch while using Talonflame and go hard into Thundurus-T to get an easy Focus Blast kill (usually works best if they don't know you're holding FB).
252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 180 SpD Tyranitar in Sand: 416-494 (103.2 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 426-504 (102.1 - 120.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 426-504 (119.3 - 141.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 442-525 (115.7 - 137.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 224-265 (74.9 - 88.6%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

The Rest of the Team

SETS

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 8 Atk / 248 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Originally, I was running Mega Lopunny so that could use it with Talonflame and have a fast and strong Breaker. But it also made my team VERY weak to opposing M-Lops, and I did not want to leave it up to a Speed tie. It also gave me more physical attackers then I wanted so and left a gaping whole in my team for Zard X to come in and sweep after a DD. So i switched to Mega Diancie. This let me keep my fast Breaker, gave me a Dragon immunity, and and answer to Zard X.
8 Atk Mega Diancie Diamond Storm vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 300-354 (101 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This is important since NOTHING except maybe Empoleon have the SLIGHTEST chance versus Zard X. Zard X also helped my chose my last team member but I'll get to that later. M-Diancie is just a strong, solid Pokemon that can deal with a lot of threats that this team will face, and helps open walls in the opponents defense so that the rest of the team can clean up later. It also takes care of Zard Y if Thundurus-T was unable to do it earlier.

Bisharp (M) @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 52 SpD / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit

Here I needed something to trap the Lati twins as well as a Ghost resist. I could've slapped Ttar on and called it a day, but I wanted another Dragon resist with a fast option to net a kill or trap them. That's why I chose Bisharp. It also lets me kill Clefable with Iron Head and give me a second Knock Off user, which is great since Thundurus-T doesn't like to spam attacks all day. The Black Glasses just make Bisharp's Dark-type attacks hit hard. I didn't run Life Orb because I don't want Bisharp to lose HP too quickly since it is rather important. I also didn't run Excadrill, even though I could use Sand Rush with the aforementioned Ttar or versus opposing Ttar, but it can't trap quite like Bisharp, and Thundurus-T and Bisharp already do a fine job of killing Clefable together, since Thundurus helps remove Leftovers or their held items, as well as the potential of a TW being used twice. Bisharp also helps the team fight Slowbro, hitting hard with its STAB Dark moves, or nailing it on the switch.

252+ Atk Bisharp Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 294-348 (74.6 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 282-332 (71.5 - 84.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Virizion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Virizion may seem kind of weird, but she's here for good reason. I don't like relying on just one or two Pokemon to get rid of threats like Zard X or bulky Waters. Virizion helps with tough matchups like this since she naturally outspeeds both of the Zard Megas (if X is unboosted), and can kill Zard Y with Stone Edge, and do big damage to Zard X. She does prefer to have an SD up if she is to fight Zard X since she won't do enough damage to OHKO him on Turn 1 and outspeed him after the DD next turn for a kill.

252 Atk Virizion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 156-184 (52.5 - 61.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252 Atk Virizion Stone Edge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 308-364 (103.7 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

In addition, Virizion can fight Slowbro, but need an SD to do it, which is part of why Bisharp and Thundurus-T are so important. She can fight him on her own, only having a 3.1% chance to 2HKO after SR and Leftovers recovery. With an SD or at least Slowbro having prior damage and an item removed, Virzion can take care of Slowbro.
+2 252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 232+ Def Slowbro: 314-372 (79.6 - 94.4%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Virizion also deals with Quagsire and Rotom-W, OHKOing Quagsire after SR and doing a lot of damage to Rotom-W, while soft checking Excadrill (can survive one Iron Head with Sand damage, thanks to Leftovers).
252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 372-436 (94.4 - 110.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 158-188 (52.1 - 62%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Virizion Leaf Blade vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 314-372 (103.6 - 122.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 462-546 (108.9 - 128.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Virizion Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 458-542 (126.8 - 150.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This makes Virizion very important since Excadrill sort of slaps the team if it is left to do what it wants. The biggest threat is the Sand Rush variant, as it hits incredibly hard and is very fast. Virizion need to be played thinking multiple turns ahead and considering different options that the opponent is likely to go for.

Conclusion

This team is pretty fun to use and packs a punch. I would say the main goal is opening up the opponents defense and sweeping with either M-Diancie, Virizion, or sometimes Thundurus-T. The big weakness this team has is to Sand Rush Excadrill and well played Stall teams, though the matchup is doable. When I use this team, I often make double or more switches to gain a favourable matchup and keep the opponent from setting up their plays.

Replays

https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-ou-464156767
https://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-ou-464160624

Last edited:
Hey there! Congrats on making a unique and interesting team! I really dig it!

Empoleon looks pretty good, he seems to really only have trouble with his weaknesses I guess. He hits decently hard I bet.

Talon is great but I'd really do wisp instead of u-turn unless you're really attached to a VoltTurn squad.

How is Thundy performing with a Life Orb? I would have thought that a scarf would be the optimal item.

Virizion is a very good mon, I've used her before in Rain. Really good against stuff like Azu and Slowbro, especially after a swords dance.

I would strongly consider Life Orb on Bisharp for a boost to all moves. You get a few more kills I think and do better damage.

Threats:

Scarf Lando-T is a big one. He can pretty much beat everything or at least do heavy damage, except for Viri.

In the same vein, any fast ground type can pose a threat since Empoleon is slow. Of course, this really would only be a problem if you lost Virizion. BUt I can see Scarf Garchomp being a threat.

You also don't really have an answer to Scarf Cube. that could be a problem.

Overall really cool team! I'm gonna remember this one.

Hey there! Congrats on making a unique and interesting team! I really dig it!

Empoleon looks pretty good, he seems to really only have trouble with his weaknesses I guess. He hits decently hard I bet.

Talon is great but I'd really do wisp instead of u-turn unless you're really attached to a VoltTurn squad.

How is Thundy performing with a Life Orb? I would have thought that a scarf would be the optimal item.

Virizion is a very good mon, I've used her before in Rain. Really good against stuff like Azu and Slowbro, especially after a swords dance.

I would strongly consider Life Orb on Bisharp for a boost to all moves. You get a few more kills I think and do better damage.
Threats:

Scarf Lando-T is a big one. He can pretty much beat everything or at least do heavy damage, except for Viri.

In the same vein, any fast ground type can pose a threat since Empoleon is slow. Of course, this really would only be a problem if you lost Virizion. BUt I can see Scarf Garchomp being a threat.

You also don't really have an answer to Scarf Cube. that could be a problem.

Overall really cool team! I'm gonna remember this one.
Hey thanks for the rate! I've actually been thinking of a lot of similar threats lately, namely fast grounds and Ferro. I'm thinking of running HP Fire over Ice Beam on Empoleon for that reason since it can catch Steels on the switch in since people really like Klefki and Ferro vs Empoleon. The Life Orb Thundurus-T is actually really good since it hits VERY hard, but yes Scarf Lando is a terrible matchup for the whole team, as is any fast Ground. But usually, HP Ice just murders it on the switch. Plus if you think they are Scarf you can switch in Viri or Emp since they aren't likely to go for EQ, and if they go for ANYTHING like U-turn, then you can safely assume they are Scarfed and play with that in mind, though I would like a more solid answer for it. Also, Earth Power on M-Diancie is pretty effective since people seem to think Heatran is invincible, but the loss of HP Fire can be annoying at times. On the subject of LO Bisharp, I had actually ran that at one point, but I didn't run it since it going to take damage one way or another and I'd rather have more longevity than Iron Head doing a bit more damage when its already usually enough to kill Fairy-type consistently, but I will test that some more. For certain Scarf Cube is a huge threat, though I can play outplay the user if I have Rocks up, but its still a threat regardless.

Back to Scarf Lando/Chomp, etc., you could run a Rash Scarf Lando on this team 164+ SpA Landorus-T Hidden Power Ice vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 280-332 (87.7 - 104%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock. This is totally untested but it is something to consider. Also with 212 Spe and a Scarf, Lando will outpace M-Lop by 1 point so you can use it to catch it off guard. Also, you wouldn't NEED to run KO on it since Thundurus can do that himself. With that set, I would have the team look something like this:

Thundurus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Hasty Nature
- Volt Switch
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Talonflame (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 132 Atk / 164 SpA / 212 Spe
Rash Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Diancie-Mega @ Diancite
Ability: Magic Bounce
Hasty Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Virizion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

Empoleon (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Stealth Rock

Although you would lose Bisharp for this, or you could run it over Emp, but also lose Defog for Talonflame. But yeah thanks for the thoughts! I'll be testing a lot of different things with this team as its really fun to use!

Edit: Just thought that Spinner Starmie could aslo be useful too and its fairly quick, though it still isn't outpacing Scarf users.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)