ORAS OU RMT! Mega Alakazam team

This is my first RMT, so apologies if I don't provide good enough descriptions for my reasoning behind each pokemon. Please note some of the reasoning may have escaped my head. Here goes!

Sun Tzu (Alakazam) @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

The main star of this team, though not always the main mon to clean and kill the opponent. As Sun Tzu once said (I think), patience is key to winning war, and so I have deployed his strategy here. I usually wait until the rest of my team has weakened enough of the opponent, and I come in with Mega zam and proceed to wreck stuff up. The EV spread is simple, and the coverage is pretty decent. I chose substitute over encore because it helps me avoid thundy's thunder wave in a 1v1 scenario (trace prankster, prankster sub), and to employ mind games on bisharp.

One thing that I try to do is to sometimes bring in zam to revenge kill stuff, and I try to mega as fast as possible to allow me to outspeed the ultra fast offense mons that zam checks/finish off with his blazing speed.

IceSmaug (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SpA / 240 Spe
Rash Nature
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

This completes a core I thought of with Alakazam and Kyurem-black, the main objective being to have two mons that threaten different playstyles, with zam being a huge threat to HO and offense, and kyu-b terrorizing balance and to some extent stall.

240 speed allows Kyu-b to outspeed positive natured base 80s since I am using HP fire. The rest is dumped to both attacking stats, with SPA taking priority. Rash nature is chosen because most priorities are physical, and his physical bulk is better anyways.

I chose to run HP fire to nail mega scizors who think they can set up on me, although it is usually very risky. It also helps make my match up against ferrothorn a tad bit easier, since I sometimes lead with this guy to pressure the enemy's hazard setters.

ThunderClap (Raikou) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Shadow Ball

Alakazam needs help with an offensive check to talonflame, so that's why I chose this mon. I chose the specs set for it's power. A fast Volt switcher, raikou nets up kills and allows me to switch into zam for free.

Standard specs set, simple EV spread and nature, effective and deadly.

RedHanded (Scizor) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Superpower

I decided I wanted a U-turn mon to complement raikou, and I wanted it to be slow so it can sponge hits for zam and allow him to come in for free. I chose banded scizor for it's typing, bulk, and ability to pressure weavile, a pokemon that I have trouble with.

I chose knock off over pursuit since I didn't need the removal of the latis, and I feel like knock off provided superior support. Superpower is standard coverage to nail mags, although I need to predict it. Also, it's nice against chanseys and ferrothorns too.

Simple banded scizor spread.
EDIT: Changed to m00n's suggestion

Sushi (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 88 HP / 188 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

Sushi right here is my glue mon. I wanted a water type and ground immunity, so I chose gyarados. Gyarados helps take out many pokemon, and acts as my secondary win con if zam goes down. Most of the time, however, gyarados is pressured to much, being my only water type, so it goes down far too early.

88 HP is chosen for bulk, and the 232 speed EVs is enough for gyarados to outspeed weavile at +1. Sub is chosen over taunt to help avoid status. The rest is dumped in attack.

also, it's really funny to imagine a giant serpent monster named sushi bounce and massacre mons

Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon/Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
This one is where I have troubles with. Heatran is chosen for its defensive synergy with scizor, and it's ability to set up rocks. However, I'm not sure I like this heatran set. I would like some suggestions with this mon, as I'm not too happy with it.

Thanks for reading this rather long RMT. Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey this is a really solid team as far as synergy goes. It's pretty standard, but definitely well built :] However, I have a few minor suggestions:

-First, I'd try out Calm Mind Raikou instead of Specs. Other than Gyarados, your team is kinda lacking as far as potential win conditions go. A set up sweeper doesn't always equate to possible win condition, and I think Mega Zam (against offensive) and Kyu-B (against stall) can be potential win conditions once their threats (on the aforementioned archtypes they're good against) are eliminated, but Calm Mind Raikou helps to add another general win con thanks to its nice speed + power after Calm Mind. Also, CM Raikou helps to eliminate a Choiced Pokemon which is always nice (especially in the current meta). Since the set is really simple, no need for me to post a show/hide... Just change Volt Switch to Calm Mind and Specs to Leftovers (if you want the recovery), or Life Orb/Zap Plate (if you want more power).

-Next, I'd run 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spe > your current spread on CB Scizor. This spread is capable of outspeeding the more common Azumarill spreads (the ones in the analysis) + some speed creep. This spread won't outspeed Azu's running 212 speed sadly, but it can still help in general. A tip with this is if they're Band, you have a higher chance of outspeeding; Band Azu appreciates the bulk a lot, so not too many players are running 212 (or more) speed on it.

Hopefully these little changes could be useful! Again, this team looks really solid & I honestly didn't have too much to say here :p

Hey Fugly2, I definitely agree that your Heatran is a little out of place - it's the only pokemon on your team with little to no offensive pressure, and will probably end up just losing you momentum, which is crucial on offense teams. I think a offensive set would serve you a lot better.
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

The other alternative might be to use Lando-T, which also helps to check bird spam such as Talonflame (though admittedly not as well as Heatran) and gives you rocks, but also has access to slow U-Turn to complete the core with Scizor. Although come to think of it Scizor might not be the best pokemon for that slot if you do end up changing your Raikou set...
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge/Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

OR

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge/Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Hope I helped and enjoy battling!

Hey Fugly2, I definitely agree that your Heatran is a little out of place - it's the only pokemon on your team with little to no offensive pressure, and will probably end up just losing you momentum, which is crucial on offense teams. I think a offensive set would serve you a lot better.
Heatran @ Air Balloon
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

The other alternative might be to use Lando-T, which also helps to check bird spam such as Talonflame (though admittedly not as well as Heatran) and gives you rocks, but also has access to slow U-Turn to complete the core with Scizor. Although come to think of it Scizor might not be the best pokemon for that slot if you do end up changing your Raikou set...
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge/Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

OR

Landorus-Therian @ Soft Sand
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge/Knock Off
- Stealth Rock

Hope I helped and enjoy battling!
The thing with scizor is that he mostly helps me with his strong priority and ability to check clefable, weavile and mega diancie. Slow U-turns are an added bonus. Adding lando T and removing scizor would further make my team weak to it.

I don't think I'll change my raikou set, since I'm not so sure I need more than one set up sweeper. (Sorry m00ns :( ).

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll implement the changes to the OP once I'm off mobile.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)