SM OU RMT, Sandstorm Team:

Heya guys,

I love Tyranitar, especially the Adamant DD-Tyranitar, thats why I wanted to create a sandstorm team. Here comes my Sandstorm Team:

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk, 6 SpD, 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Tyranitar is the Sandstorm setter and beside Sand Stream the item Assault Vest gives Tyranitar alot of SpD during a Sandstorm. This is a set which will stay like it is, since I love the EV spread on Tyranitar #Remembering Diamond Times. Not so much to say here, everyone should know the Dragon Dancing Tyranitar.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk, 6 HP, 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Poison Jab
- Earthquake

Excadrill is a great Sweeper in combinition with Tyranitar. Tyranitar is setting the Sandstorm while Excadrill is able to get a huge benefit from the Sandstorm since Excadrill has the ability Sand Rush.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP, 140 Atk, 120 Def
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Superpower
- X-Scissor
- Bullet Punch

Scizor-Mega is pretty bulky and helps out the team alot. Beside that, the sandstorm cant hit Scizor, which is another great benefit. U-turn allows me to switch out of the game if a big threat is incoming. The ability Technician and the attack Bullet Punch go hand in hand, so I wouldnt see any reason here to change this combination.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

One of the most run Azumarill sets out there, not much to say here. Azumarill helps great as a Pivot, since Scizor is extremely weak against fire attacks. It also is a good Pivot for Tyranitar, since Azumarill doesnt care alot about fight attacks. I prefer Azumarill over Manaphy because Azumarill has not so much weaknesses.

Latios @ Soul Dew
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA, 6 SpD ,252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Defog

I needed something to deal with Mega Charizard Y, Keldeo and Manaphy, so Latios is a great option. Its also a great Pivot for Tyranitar and Excadrill because of Levitate. I also needed a Defogger, and Latios is known for being one. So Latios fits awesome in this team.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 6 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock

So I had all five Pokemon together, but i really needed something against fight types and something against stall teams. I also had no pokemon to set up rocks, so Clefairy was the ideal Pokemon which fits great into the team.

All in all I think I need more special defense here. I also have too much pokemon with the nature Adamant. Beside these, I also dont know if my EV spreads are good or bad. The only Pokemon I dont want to change i Tyranitar, so I hope some of you guys can help me out here to make this team better :-)

I also want to mention Twilight here which is just awesome. Thanks alot for alway helping me out on building teams and learning how to build them step by step!

Thanks alot for your time on rating my team guys, Florian

Last edited:
There's quite a bit wrong with the team. The core of sand attackers and powerful priority is fine but a lot of sets are suboptimal.

1. That Tyranitar doesn't work. You can't use dragon dance with an assault vest. Also, Ice Punch is better coverage than Crunch for hitting Zygarde and Landorus.
2. I don't see much reason to run Poison Jab on Excadrill over Iron Head. Iron Head still hits the fairies and gives you STAB.
3. Scizor isn't strong enough to break walls without Swords Dance, nor is it bulky enough to stick around without Roost. I'd either stick to a bulky swords dance or move over to a defog variant.
4. I assume you meant Clefable? There's not much point in running Clefairy in OU. Either way, on a team this offensive I'd be tempted to run a more offensive rocks lead like Explosion Azelf.

Although I'm not very convinced by Soul Dew on Latios, your Lati and Azu sets seem mostly fine.

Thanks!

1. I totally forgot the thing about assault vest. Wich item would you recommend on a DD-Tyranitar? Maybe Chople Berry?
2. Changed it
3. So no U-turn? If yes, I changed U-turn into Swords Dance
4. Sorry I meant Clefable, I'll try both, clefable and azelf

Which item would you recommend on Latios?

Thanks!

1. I totally forgot the thing about assault vest. Wich item would you recommend on a DD-Tyranitar? Maybe Chople Berry?
2. Changed it
3. So no U-turn? If yes, I changed U-turn into Swords Dance
4. Sorry I meant Clefable, I'll try both, clefable and azelf

Which item would you recommend on Latios?
Scarf Latios would be good for the team imo. It comes with a way to revenge kill stuff like keldeo and may be used to cripple item dependent mons with trick.

As a rule, DD-tar wants to be Mega for the extra speed. Other variants of TTar are happier either as support rockers with smooth rock or Choice Band Pursuiters.

The typical bulky SD Scizor is SD, Roost, Bullet Punch and U-Turn. It's not meant to sweep whole teams, rather you use the rest of the team to wear down steel resists and break through at +2.

If you're using Mega T-Tar you want Scizor to change to some other kind of bulky supporting pivot. Landorus-Therian is the best option.

So Mega-Tyranitar, Excadrill, Landorus-T, Azumarill, Latios and Azelf? Sounds great so far, the thing is just that then the team wouldnt be so balanced anymore :-/

watermess

What? Never seen an idiot before?
is a Tutoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
yeah balance of good typing matters less now that the team is far more offencive besides this actually covers your fighting weakness better than before

Hello! I'm not going to do a full rate because I feel there is are too many mistakes. Let me provide some resources to begin with.

Your sets for your Pokemon are for the most part extremely sub optimal. A great resource for finding viable sets for Pokemon (in addition to giving usage tips, checks/counters, explanations, and team options!) is https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/pokemon/. I personally never build a team without consulting this the Smogon Dex.

As there are some basic synergy errors on your team as well, you should consider building around a core from https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/sm-ou-ultra-cores.3619395/. These are tried and true cores for teams to build around. Very helpful especially for newer players.

Finally, if you don't have your heart set on using your own team, using some teams from https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usm-ou-sample-teams.3626219/ is a great way to not only learn how to battle and to get higher on the ladder, but to learn how teams function, which is very important to building your own successful team.

Good luck on your team, friend!

Hey VictiniSwag, thanks alot man, this will really help me out to get really deep into competitive. Thanks alot my friend, i wish you an awesome weekend! :-)

Hey VictiniSwag, thanks alot man, this will really help me out to get really deep into competitive. Thanks alot my friend, i wish you an awesome weekend! :-)
Yeah, friend, no problem. Have a good weekend yourself and good luck with your future Pokemon endeavors!

Bug bite is better than X-Scissor in Scizor because Technician gives 90 base power. Don't use X-scissor, 0 reasons to use.
Poison jab in excadrill is bad, use iron head. The only reason for use that is tapu bulu but iron head kills unless if is more bulky.

Mega scizor needs roost if it's bulky.

AV tyranitar needs more bulk and less speed and....without dragon dance. If you use dragon dance don't use Av.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)