• Liepard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Machamp

• Hitmon(any)

• Total voters

Introduction

**Hi Smogon! This is my first time posting in Smogon forums. I'm lifelong fan of Pokemon and new to the competitive scene. I'm looking for some advice on my team. Any help is appreciated.**

Teambuilding Process

**Scizor is my favorite Pokemon. I wanted to build a team around her.**

**Heatran offers aid to Scizor in the form of defensive coverage.**

**Rotom's Levitate and Water typing offer defensive typing for Heatran.**

**Clefable is the Special Attacker to Scizor's Physical.**

**Thundurus is my disruptor lead and beginning of my VoltTurn Squad.**

**Garchomp helps fill gaps in coverage and is a throw away to physical attackers because of Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet.**

The Team

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
**MMM MMM MMMega Scizor in all her glory! This Pokemon is a favorite from my childhood. Scyther always stuck out as the coolest Mon design from first gen. Then, Scizor was introduced in 2nd gen and all hopes for cooler Pokemon went out the window. Then, Mega Scizor comes around and blows my mind! I wanted to build my team around her and was pleasantly surprised at the competitive viability when I started researching. The set is a basic Mega set. Easy to predict, yet highly effective.**

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 3 SpA
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Protect
- Flamethrower
**Heatran was an obvious choice to cover Scizor's only weakness. 4x Fire weakness is absorbed by Heatran's Flash Fire. After using him in the Showdown, I became attached to his bulk. The rest of my strategy revolves around the Heatran stall. He can poison bulky Pokemon and Water types not strong enough to OHKO, then Protect and Taunt his way to the KO. Flamethrower gives reliable attack for Steel, Grass, and Bug types. IVs shown are the Heatran I caught in AS. I don't catch perfect IV legendaries, I just don't lol. Surprisingly, this does not stop Heatran from being a massive powerhouse, even on Showdown, where everyone has perfect Legendaries.**

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
**Rotom-Wash provides great utility and coverage for my team. Powerful Hydro Pump and STAB Volt Switch hit Fire and Water types which threaten Scizor and Heatran. I chose Rest over Pain Split in order to absorb Toxic and opposing Rotom's Will-O-Wisp, then rest off damage and status. Levitate gives immunity to Ground attacks that 4x effect Heatran.**

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect
**I discovered this BEAST late in my team build. This Pokemon should be Uber. Unaware is ironic because the opponent is usually unaware Clefable has Unaware, allowing her to boost alongside massive threats, then OHKO the entire other team. The set is built entirely around boosting and sweeping. Clefable's bulk and Wish/Protect allows time to boost with Calm Mind, then sweep with Moonblast. I have double immunity to her Poison weakness and double resistance to her Steel weakness.**

Thundurus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 HP / 0 Atk / 4 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
**My lead. Thundurus using Taunt with Prankster has won countless matches from rage quits. I lead Thundurus specifically to stop Stealth Rock and other entry hazards that are detrimental to a VoltTurn team. Volt Switch allows Thundurus to join in the VoltTurn core I have with Rotom and Scizor. The three of them can cause confusion in the enemy and tear them down gradually without having to directly attack. Taunt can also stop status before a Volt Switch. HP Ice hits Ground and Grass types hard.**

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rock Tomb
**My 6th slot has been occupied by many Pokemon. The rest of my team fits so well together, that finding a 6th Mon on par with the others has been hard. I've tested countless other tanks, sweepers, statusers, ect. to no luck. Garchomp brings Rough Skin/Rocky Helmet damage to table. Poison Jab for fairy switch ins. Rock tomb for other switch ins to slow them down. Obvious Earthquake. Crunch for the coverage. Others I have tried and liked include: M-Venasaur, Hitmonchan/lee/top, Machamp, Liepard(mmm sweet Prankster), Magnezone, and Dugtrio. I literally had a competition to see which team could rack up more wins to determine who made it into this slot.**

Conclusion

**So my team is basically a defensive/stall core and a VoltTurn core attached together with Rotom. Although most of these Pokemon are fairly common, I find a lot of success from some of their slightly unusual sets. What tends to threaten my team are bulky Ground and Water types despite Rotom's Hydro Pump for the Ground and the two Volt Switchers for the Water. If entry hazards make it up, I have no removal and no hazard setters of my own to even the playing field. Also, Garchomp is essentially a placeholder until I find a 6th Mon that fits my team better. Any help you all can offer is much appreciated. Thank you!!!!!!**

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 3 SpA
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Protect
- Flamethrower

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Protect

Thundurus @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 3 HP / 0 Atk / 4 Def
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Poison Jab
- Rock Tomb

Hi. Nice team you have got.

Looking at your team, here are some weaknesses I found:
  • Keldeo - you lack switch-ins; everything can be 2HKO'd
  • Gengar - not surprising to most Bulky Offense teams since they tend to lack a Ghost resist
  • Medicham-Mega - 0 switch-ins
This problems are in no way unsolvable, and here are some suggestions:

Bulky U-Turn > Offensive
The reason I'm suggesting this change is because your team revolves around VoltTurning around a lot. The Offensive set lacks enough bulk to do this well, getting worn down quickly, leaving you with just 5 mons to work with. With the Bulky U-Turn set, your Scizor will have more longevity, performing the work it is meant to do more effectively. In addition, Speed on MScizor isn't terrific right now considering how most Trans (all actually) run max Speed so you can't surprise them with the Superpower. This variant also deals with important threats such as Clefable and MMetagross much more reliably thanks to access to bulk and recovery. Offensively, it is no slouch either, since SD can make it an offensive powerhouse with great cleaning potential.

Max Speed; Stealth Rock > Protect; Lava Plume > Flamethrower; perfect IVs
Max Speed on any Heatran right now is really important as it allows it to outspeed several big threats such as Bisharp, MScizor and MHeracross and knock them out with Lava Plume or scare them out. Rocks are extremely important and is a must-have on every single competitive team. Heatran is the perfect mon to run it, having a not-so-important move in Protect. Heatran also gets multiple free turns, allowing you to set Rocks up a lot of the time. Lava Plume is usually preferred over Flamethrower as the 30% burn chance can be handy at times. It also discourages a switch-ins from physically offensive mons as they fear getting crippled by a burn.

PhysDef > SpDef; 128 Speed EVs; Pain Split & Lefties > RestoChesto
Rotom-W generally prefers a PhysDef set as most of the things it checks, such as Sand Driller, MMetagross, Bisharp, Azumarill and Jirachi are all physically orientated and you definitely want more PhysDef bulk to check them better. 128 EVs in Speed allows Rotom-W to outspeed max Speed Adamant Bisharp and cripple it with a burn before it starts wreaking havoc on your team. Pain Split + Lefties, I find, is more reliable than RestoChesto as Lefties can be important for Rotom-W to avoid some 2HKOs. Also, with its low HP, it gains a decent amount of health from Pain Split.

MG+CM > Unaware
What that is important for your team now would be a status absorber and not an Unaware wall. Your team has no need for Unaware Clef at all as your team isn't weak to things like Manaphy, which Unaware Clef is supposed to check. MG+CM would be more suitable as without Rocks damage, you can check big threats like MMedicham a lot better and it also frees a moveslot since you can run Softboiled instead of Wish+Protect, in which case you can put in Thunder Wave to cripple foes that switch into you. I decided to keep Clef max PhysDef so as to deal with Fighting Megas like MMedicham and MLopunny better, since they are more common now with MSab banned in the suspect test.

>

As your team needs some Speed control, I'm suggesting Scarf Lando-T over Thundurus. Honestly I don't really like Thundurus on your team since your team already lacks hazard control. Volt Switch on Thundurus makes the problem worse as you have to switch out everytime you want to attack, making you take more hazard damage in the meantime. However, since your team has a VoltTurn core, I would want to keep the continuation intact. Hence, I decided to suggest Scarf Lando-T. With U-Turn, Scarf Lando-T retains the existing VoltTurn core. However, it gives many other benefits. Firstly, it isn't Rocks weak, which is always cool for a VoltTurn mon. It also gives your team Speed, which is really important for a Bulky Offense team as you need a revenge killer. In this case, Lando-T becomes the prime revenge killer in your team. In addition, Scarf Lando-T performs decently well against Sand Offense and BirdSpam and can hence act as your secondary check to these playstyles.

>

Now that you already have another ground type, Garchomp seems pretty dead weight and doesn't serve any important purpose. Hence, I decided to replace it with Latios. Latios gives you a much needed reliable Water resist, allowing you to switch into Keldeo multiple times, Recovering off the damage while threatening it out. This is extremely important as Keldeo is ever-present in the current metagame and not having a reliable switch-ins means losing against a good player with Keldeo everytime, unless you're able to pressure your opponent so massively that he doesn't get an opportunity to switch-in safely. This can't be possible for your team though, as Keldeo can easily come in on MZor and Heatran. Now that you have Latios, this problem is solved, though you have to use Latios carefully, trying not to let it get Pursuit trapped. I decided to run Surf on the final moveslot as your team lacks Water coverage. Surf can also be used to hit annoying things like Lando-T and Heatran, while punishing any TTar that dares to hard switch into you.

Here are the sets:
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 16 Atk / 44 Def / 200 SpD
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Recover
- Surf

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)