ORAS UU Rookie attempt at team building

Hi guys, got back from 8 month (or something like that) hiatus from showdown and I figured the fastest way to get back in the groove is by asking for help

This team made using some of my old favorites with whatever seemed to fill the gabs. I suppose the end goal of this team is balanced or maybe bulky offensive team. My main gripe with the team is lack of status spreading.

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Switcheroo

Just a simple multi-purpose set. Need something to be revenge killed? Noivern can do it with its impressive speed. Need late game sweeping or wall breaking? Noivern has the damage output needed for it. Need some scouting? Noivern has U-turn for it. Need to cripple a wall? Switcheroo does the trick usually. I mostly use Noivern as my lead of choice because U-turn utility.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

I simple physical wall for simple walling needs. Slack off is always nice option on a wall and Stealth Rock access is never a bad thing. I used to run Toxic over Whirlwind but I kept having issues with physical set up sweepers. I get the feeling it could do a bit better but that's just my 2 cents

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Wish
- Protect

It has U-turn utility, good special walling capabilities, wish support and toxic immunity. Now that's utility mon if I ever saw one. Serene grace Iron head with uncommonly high speed for a wall tends to give it edge in wall vs wall stall offs so that is nice perk too. Perhaps the set could be made more optimal but I dont know what to remove or add

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Bread and butter Life Orb Nidoking. Come in, force something out, hit the incoming enemy really hard. Can do some wallbreaking but is overall weaker than it was back in the day in my opinion. Namely because Florges seems to be more rare these days and this thing really likes enemies with Florges. I have absolutely no idea what I should run on the last moveslot.

Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze
- Stone Edge

Honestly I have no idea if this even belongs to the team, I just wanted to try it out. Some other Priority user would likely use this spot better than Entei. Is it just me or am I running worse Arcanine?

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 8 SpA / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Hurricane

The initial purpose of this fluff ball is to cover up some type weaknesses the team has, namely Ground. The set is utter cancer but it does its job. I chose to run Hurricane over Moonblast or whatever because it should hit hard those pesky Leech seed immune enemies. Also Encore is insanity.

Hi Shom, cool team you have there. Just have a couple suggestions for ya to help.
  • Hurricane doesnt really hit anything that Draco doesn't already so I would use Flamethrower over Hurricane on Noivern so that you can hit steels like Jirachi/Maggron on the switch and dent them heavily.
  • Life Orb isn't really that optimal on Entei because usually you want it to be able to take at least one hit so I would use CB/AV over LO Entei. Also you'll probably want to try Flare Blitz/Sleep Talk in place of Bulldoze. Bulldoze is a pretty suboptimal option on Entei since the only thing it hits really are rock types which aren't too common in the tier besides Diancie which you can hit harder with iron head. Flare Blitz is a really good secondary STAB move to have in case you run out of PP with Sacred Fire or you want to hit something harder than with Sacred Fire. SF only has 8 PP so it's incredibly easy to PP stall with protects and double switches so having another Fire move is a good idea. Sleep talk is just there if you have trouble with things like Roserade/Amoongus, they don't look like they'll be doing much, but the option is always there.
  • Scarf Rachi instead of Bulky Rachi. Looking at your team it doesn't really have much to revenge the faster mons in the tier like Crobat, Maero, M Sceptile, and M Beedrill to name a few so adding a scarfer to your team will really help you out against them.
  • Some less pressing changes I would consider would be Swampert over Hippo to help with your fire weakness and offensive encore Whimsicott to help more against Suicune.
Hope I helped! :]

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys, got back from 8 month (or something like that) hiatus from showdown and I figured the fastest way to get back in the groove is by asking for help

This team made using some of my old favorites with whatever seemed to fill the gabs. I suppose the end goal of this team is balanced or maybe bulky offensive team. My main gripe with the team is lack of status spreading.

Noivern @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- U-turn
- Switcheroo

Just a simple multi-purpose set. Need something to be revenge killed? Noivern can do it with its impressive speed. Need late game sweeping or wall breaking? Noivern has the damage output needed for it. Need some scouting? Noivern has U-turn for it. Need to cripple a wall? Switcheroo does the trick usually. I mostly use Noivern as my lead of choice because U-turn utility.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

I simple physical wall for simple walling needs. Slack off is always nice option on a wall and Stealth Rock access is never a bad thing. I used to run Toxic over Whirlwind but I kept having issues with physical set up sweepers. I get the feeling it could do a bit better but that's just my 2 cents

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Wish
- Protect

It has U-turn utility, good special walling capabilities, wish support and toxic immunity. Now that's utility mon if I ever saw one. Serene grace Iron head with uncommonly high speed for a wall tends to give it edge in wall vs wall stall offs so that is nice perk too. Perhaps the set could be made more optimal but I dont know what to remove or add

Nidoking (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Sludge Wave
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam

Bread and butter Life Orb Nidoking. Come in, force something out, hit the incoming enemy really hard. Can do some wallbreaking but is overall weaker than it was back in the day in my opinion. Namely because Florges seems to be more rare these days and this thing really likes enemies with Florges. I have absolutely no idea what I should run on the last moveslot.

Entei @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Bulldoze
- Stone Edge

Honestly I have no idea if this even belongs to the team, I just wanted to try it out. Some other Priority user would likely use this spot better than Entei. Is it just me or am I running worse Arcanine?

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 8 SpA / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Hurricane

The initial purpose of this fluff ball is to cover up some type weaknesses the team has, namely Ground. The set is utter cancer but it does its job. I chose to run Hurricane over Moonblast or whatever because it should hit hard those pesky Leech seed immune enemies. Also Encore is insanity.
Hi Shom, for a Rookie Team, this is pretty sweet! It's much better than the first rookie team I made way back when.

I wanted to address a few points that would increase the overall viability of your team.
  1. U-turn will rarely be used to any degree of effectiveness with Noivern, so I suggest changing your nature to Timid, whilst putting the remaining 4 EVs into Special Defense.
  2. I actually like Hurricane as a secondary STAB option, however, you'll want to look into replacing Switcharoo or U-turn with Flamethrower/Air Slash for a slightly more reliably hitting attack. Air Slash in particular will 2H or 3H many threats in the Underused Tier, providing you with a nice secondary backup to Hurricane.
  3. I agree that you should be using Scarfrachi, or at the very least Mixed Rachi, which uses 88 Atk / 176 SpA / 252 Speed with Expert Belt and Iron Head, Energy Ball, Fire Punch, and U-turn as your four moves. Either set will increase the offensive presence of your team, creating a wonderful offensive core alongisde Nidoking's and Noiverns Special Wallbreaking capabilities.
  4. I agree that Entei should be using Choice Band as opposed to Life Orb, as this secure more OHKOs with Sacred Fire and 2HKOs with Extreme Speed. If prediction is this much of an issue, replace Entei entirely with Scarf Darmanitan, which pseudo-retains some speed via scarf, while hitting harder than Choice Band Entei. That's right, Scarf Darmanitan hits harder than Choice Band Entei.
  5. Lastly, water types are a huge problem to your team. I suggest that you replace Hippowdown with either Crocune (252 HP / 252 Def Bold w/ RestTalk, Calm Mind, Scald) or Standard WishPass Vaporeon (252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD Calm w/ Wish, Baton Pass, Protect, Scald).
  6. To retain Stealth Rock, put Stealth Rock on Nidoking in place for Fire Blast.
  7. You can get rid of the Special Defense in Whimsicott and put it all in Defensve. Then, take those 8 extra EVs and put them in speed in order to outspeed Neutral Base 85s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)