RU Threat List

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly if you won´t use Yanmega til its banned, then you are just at a disadvantage. Every good player will be abusing Yanmega until it is banned (which it will be).
... I got to #2 on the ladder without using Yanmega. If you get around it, you force ragequits. That's like saying "You must use weather or you will never win an OU match"
EDIT: Xephyr, I didn't mean top 10, I meant period. I don't use weather, and I win a lot.

... I got to #2 on the ladder without using Yanmega. If you get around it, you force ragequits. That's like saying "You must use weather or you will never win an OU match"
Well this one is actually true to an extent. I guarantee that all of the top 10 teams in OU involve either Tyranitar or Politoed.

Yanmega is a huge force but there are many other usable threats in RU. The fact fact it is hyped up so much is actually bad for it, because most people will prepare some way to deal with it. It certainly isn't broken to the point where you need to carry it or lose. Apart from testing it to see what it could do, I haven't used Yanmega on a team yet.

I haven't used a Yanmega and I hit #1 on the ladder, so it is completely viable to make a team without Yanmega and be successful. In fact, I've never been successful when using it. I always find it dying too quickly when I use it, but that's because Yanmega, a fast, frail, hard hitting sweeper, isn't my playstyle because I prefer the bulkier attackers.

Yanmega is actually surprisingly bulky on the physical side and can take a few neutral hits as long has it hasn't taken damage from Stealth Rock. But I honestly have more issues with Cress, specifically Rest variants.

Yanmega is actually surprisingly bulky on the physical side and can take a few neutral hits as long has it hasn't taken damage from Stealth Rock. But I honestly have more issues with Cress, specifically Rest variants.
Drapion is a great weapon against Cress. A Sword Dance Drapion can 86.9% - 102.7% on a RestTalk Cress after a +2, while a Bulky Sword Dance set or Specially Defensive set, despite only getting 51.8% - 61.3% after the +2 boost, bears Whirlwind and/or Taunt. Taunt is probably the best tool against Cress, since it stops Calm Mind, Dual Screens, Rest, Thunder Wave Moonlight, and even Sleep Talk. Drapion can also act as a solid Toxic Spiker and TS absorber, if you have no need for a sword dancer, and is the second fastest TSer in the tier (Damn you Scolipede)

Guys below the Percentage Cut off for the eventual NU on the list
56.) Slowking
60.) Swellow

Guys Below #63 Missingo on the list
65.) Ludicolo – mentioned in rain
77.) Rhydon – but with Rhyperior gone, he’ll go up
81.) Kabutops – mentioned in rain
85.) Electrode – mentioned in rain
86.) Munchlax
96.) Lickilicky
115.) Audino – putting this in as a reference since it was removed from the list
149.) Huntail - Edit2: He may rise with Gorebyss gone, but that spot might also be taken by Smeargle who is currently #84
154.) Golduck
164.) Articuno

Guys above the percentage cutoff for the eventual NU but not on the list
15.) Electivire
24.) Krookodile
35.) Steelix
36.) Mandibuzz
37.) Rotom-C
38.) Poliwrath
40.) Scyther
41.) Medicham
42.) Miltank
44.) Weezing
45.) Scolipede
46.) Hariyama
48.) Amoongus
49.) Qwilfish
50.) Feraligatr
51.) Sandslash
52.) Hitmonchan
53.) Crustle
54.) Hitmonchan
I know that I posted this a few days ago, but I'm just putting it here again in case you didn't see it Xephyr. It's your thread, but IMO, based on usage, Electivire and Krookodile need to be added to the list at the very least.

Edit: Two posts below me Waterwarrior is correct about the error, one of the Hitmonchan's should be Hitmonlee.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
52.) Hitmonchan
53.) Crustle
54.) Hitmonchan
Wait, what?

Also, STEELIX especially should be on the list, as you even reference it in other threat listings. Why is that not on there? :/

I think this is part of the reason we haven't seen a seperate RU sub-forum yet. UU hasn't been settled in yet, and once UU gets cleaned up, we will have a better idea of what will be kicking around here in RU.

Oh well, I am sure Xephyr is leaping at the chance of redoing his list.

If only the Smogon server was back up...

There will be a proper RU threat list once suspect testing begins, I know, since I have been given permission to head that up. The RU metagame right now is too unstable, and the threats aren't really relevant until suspect testing has at least begun.

There will be a proper RU threat list once suspect testing begins, I know, since I have been given permission to head that up. The RU metagame right now is too unstable, and the threats aren't really relevant until suspect testing has at least begun.
You get to head it up? :(

I've spent hours upon hours working on this threat list and have like 5 alts in the top 40 on the ladder, and I did all this work because I wanted that power and then I don't get it >_>

Oh well, I'll get around to adding Electivire, Krookodile, and Steelix.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Granted, but some conceive it as childish, and about three posts aftewards Gen. Empoleon yelled at you me and Woodchuck, effectively removing any chance of us getting the "job".

hmm Mandibuzz has out stalled me before lol with roost, toxic, taunt and brave bird, i think some sets carry whirl wind as well.

It's one of the few wall that can taunt so possibly although i don't consider myself a good player, I have more fun building teams and testing out whether they work or not lol.

I would highly suggest Mandibuzz to be a Defensive threat - I cannot count how many times its decent typing, great support movepool and most importantly, awesome Defense stats have saved me in battles. I use Careful, 252HP/196Def/60SpDef, with Whirlwind/Toxic/Knock Off/Roost. I've thought about replacing KO with Brave Bird, but to be honest, Knock Off's utility is just too good to pass up. Overall, the only thing that commonly prevents my Mandibuzz from Toxic-stalling everything is a random crit, but what can you do about those? Nothing, really.

Further backing up the agreement for adding Mandibuzz. Though it does not enjoy being hit with Ice and Electric moves, it can still sponge them up and Roost the damage off. Heck I was using one against a Nidoking earlier today on the PO server and after knocking off the Life Orb it was quite easy to stall out.

I vote yes. I've used the set Virizion mentioned up in OU to decent success. While it's not the best, even up there it can take almost anything that isn't super effective or boosted and proceed to annoy in return (there is no more satisfying feeling than your opponent sending in Gliscor on an expected Toxic and suddenly realizing his toxic orb has been knocked off instead). Before the usage stats came out, I thought it might suffer from competition type-wise with Murkrow and Honchkrow, and, while it probably does, it's still on more teams than Aggron, Tangela, and Snover. Both usage-wise and walling-wise I say it deserves a mention, even with its invisible offensive presence.

Anyway, if you're editing the list, may I also suggest the removal of some threats, particularly Golduck and Articuno. Both are used less than Magcargo and Stunfisk (Articuno, in fact, is two spot lower than Scraggy). I'd also maybe suggest removing Huntail since it has similarly low usage. However, I'm a lot more iffy about that, as it has a very good chance to jump in usage if Gorebyss does end up going UU.

1. I 15th the addition of Mandibuzz
2. Swellow and Rain should also be removed, I never see them.
3. Don't remove Huntail. With Gorebyss in UU, it will take its place. Shell Smash also raises attack you know.

Looking at the RU statistics again

I've noticed some pokemon that would be considered in the RU cut off if we had a NU tier

Omastar at #34, why is it so high? Shell Smash? Rain? both?

@ Water Warrior

when I used rain it was pretty effective but it was quite early in RU, I don't know if rain has changed much since then.

Steelix at #35, I'm still wondering what this guy does outside of Stealth rock and Roar, maybe A torment set with it's resistances, and 4 weaknesses being water, fire ground and fighting

Scyther at #40, I've never used evolite Scyther, I should try him out, I'm assuming bulky sweeper with Sword dance, roost, Aerial Ace, Bug Bite and Technician

Medicham at #41 is quite interesting I'm assuming with a scraf, although a couple of those medicham were probably from my baton pass team, passing bulk up lol.

Weezing at #44 is pretty interesting too, he doesn't suffer Bug, fire or Flying weakness like Tangela and can haze/clear smog. I'm interested if whether people have been using Physical or mixed bulk sets.

Feraligatr edging out at # 50, I haven't seen any Feraligatr personally but then again the number of people playing RU is quite limited.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
You get to head it up? :(

I've spent hours upon hours working on this threat list and have like 5 alts in the top 40 on the ladder, and I did all this work because I wanted that power and then I don't get it >_>

Oh well, I'll get around to adding Electivire, Krookodile, and Steelix.
Should have reserved it when the time came. >.>
And Weezing definitely needs to be used more.

I've found sudowoodo to be a surprising powerhouse in my team. With stone edge, wood hammer and earthquake, he can hit like a truck. And with sucker punch, he can make up for crappy speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)