Running in the rain

RUNNING IN THE RAIN​

The premise of this team is to get rain going with politoed, and then just abuse the general effects of rain. without further ado here's the team in detail.

Scizor (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- U-turn

Scizor is here to act as clean-up crew, and to be my secondary physical attacker. pretty standard layout in terms of EV and moves

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 140 HP / 228 SAtk / 140 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Trick
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
again another standard layout, here for electric support, and to use trick to screw with opposing pokemon

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Perish Song
- Protect
politoed is here to get off the rain effect and also to act as both a stall breaker and a counter to pokemon that need a turn set, using perish song to screw them over.

Toxicroak (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Sucker Punch
- Ice Punch
Subpunch toxicroak, my main physical sweeper. if i get him out second, especially against a spiker i can generally set up sub and then proceed to wreak havoc on my opponent.

Tornadus (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hurricane
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
my main special sweeper. 100% accurate hurricanes hurt like a bitch. i went with orb over specs because 2 of my pokemon are already choiced.

Tentacruel (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spd
Hardy Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Protect
my spiker and rapid spinner. i've been considering changing him to donphan to help get rid of my teams electric weakness. not sure yet though since the rain is really nice with him due to rain dish

General playstyle is
1. get rain
2. try and set up toxicroak, if possible. if not just play to counter whatever they throw at me.

So that's my team, any criticism is welcome, be it about how i made this thread (its my first one) or on the team (this type is preferable xD)

EDIT:sorry not sure how to fix those gifs up top... :(

I don't really see anything to take on Gastrodon / Quagsire... Probably want a grass move on here, a strong one at that. Or Toxic Spikes.

Whoops, sorry -///w///-
I'd probably say Hidden Power (Grass) on Rotom-W. If you do that, then change it to an Expert Belt variant, as you already have a nice Scarfer in the case of Scizor.

Lady Alex

Mew is blue
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi! Since you aren't using specs on tornadus, u-turn probably isn't a good idea. Tornadus is already quite frail and wasting your health with weak u-turns might hurt you in the long run. Tail wind could be an interesting alternative. With that suggestion in mind, I think you would be better off using SD toxicroak. It would really benefit from the few turns of speed tailwind gives it and will become very difficult to stop.

Sayonara

don't forget
Hey elodin,

Nice Rain team you've got there. I have a few nitpicks I'd like to point out. First of all, Tentacruel needs a Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk). Hardy is pretty useless, but Bold increases your Defense at the cost of Attack you do not need, since Rapid Spin isn't supposed to hit hard anyways. Now, on to the rate itself. Opposing Rotom-W seem to have a quite easy time against your team, since Tornadus, Politoed and Tentacruel are all weak to Thunderbolt or Volt Switch. I don't feel you need Rotom-W on your current team, since you already have Politoed and Tentacruel to use Water-type moves. I'd recommend replacing the aforementioned Rotom-W to a Tank Gastrodon. This guy lets you wall opposing an Rotom-W or Jolteon, and is a great specially defensive tank that helps your team tank hits on the special side. It also gets its Scald boosted because of the Rain Support provided by Politoed, which is great. Its great typing (Water / Ground), coupled with Storm Drain rendering Gastrodon immune to any water-type attack, leaves it open to only one weakness: Grass. Tornadus and Scizor do well in taking those attacks. I like your use of Scizor, but I believe some changes would help. First of all, use a 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe EV spread, to outspeed more threats. You will need the Speed to outspeed and properly fill its role as revenge-killer. A Jolly Nature (+Spe, -SpA) is needed in order for Scizor to outspeed Terrakion, Latios, Latias, Gengar, Starmie and Alakazam, since an Adamant Nature would leave you without the Speed necessary for Scizor to outspeed those threats. Another change I would recommend is Iron Head over Bullet Punch, in order for Scizor to hit harder. It also has a flinch rate which can come in handy in late-game situations. Finally, I would recommend Tailwind over U-Turn on your Tornadus so you can use it in a last-minute effort to counter an opposing Choice Scarf user. For example, with Prankster, Tornadus uses Tailwind first, then dies to the Scarf user. On the next turn, your teammate gets its speed doubled so it can take out the Choice Scarf Pokemon that could become problematic. Below, you can find Tank Gastrodon's set.
Gastrodon @ Leftovers | Storm Drain
Calm | 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 SpA
~ Scald
~ Ice Beam
~ Recover
~ Toxic

Scald is the main STAB, a move that gets boosted in Rain. It also has a 30% chance burn rate, which can come in handy against physical threats. Ice Beam lets you hit Dragons like Dragonite and Salamence, to take them out. Recover lets you heal, which is useful to stall your opponent out with Toxic. It helps a lot against Ninetales and Tyranitar, which won't be able to live long because of that status move.

Nice team, and good luck!

Hey, where did you get the images from?

Actual rate: Running 2 Scarfers is kind of silly even if one just Tricks the Scarf away and Scarf Scizor is kind of meh. I would suggest Choice Band Scizor with Quick Attack over Pursuit. Quick Attack is a better option because most people expect the Pursuit anyways and don't leave themselves vulnerable for it. Quick Attackis a secondary priority move boosted by Technician and can take out Bulky waters when Bullet Punch just couldn't.

thanks for all the amazing feedback so far, when i get the chance i'll upload an updated team. i just have one question. i feel like this team has a severe weakness to electric types, and was wondering how i would go about solving that? maybe put a ground move. also rotom-w ruins me

on tank gastrodon? and i got the images from
http://pldh.net/gallery/the493

You could use Jolteon who can absorb Electric attacks or Lanturn. Maybe something like Dugtrio that can switch in on Electric attack spammers and kill them off.

I think you should give your scizor 248 speed evs since you want to outspeed things like latios/latias and its a scarf set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)