Sandy Vullysaur

Hey, HI!

I've been around in LC for a while and, while I suck at teambuilding, I'm really proud of this team which has got me into the top 20 in the last ladder while I'm more of thirty or so~ player (to say the truth, I've been in the 800~ points with other teams u.u).

This team is focused on a sand core with Vullaby, Bulbasaur and Hippopotas soaking hits while slowly draining away the HP from the opponents team until they are at KO range for my two sweepers. To aid in the hideous task to destroy (or at least maim) walls, I chose Aipom, a very underused Pokemon.

I started out with one of my favorite Pokemon around: Hippopotas. Hippo has the amazing utility to stall Physical Sweepers (mostly Fighting types who rely on Dark-type moves for coverage) with its AMAZING defenses and High HP.

Sandstorm abusers? Not likely, because it will force me to rely on Sandstorm Stall and I didn't want to take that approach because I had used it before and I don't like clichés. I'm not a big fan of Hyper Offensive strategies because I'm not a fast thinker and can't pull it off. So, I opted for a Bulky strategy with a mixed wall: Vullaby.

Now, Vullaby has an issue with Chinchou; Hippopotas has an issue with Chinchou. Logic cuestion is: Who can handle Chinchou? Grass-types! Out of ALL the Grass Pokemon in LC I really wanted something to absorb Toxic's that Vullaby and Hippopotas attracted, something who had good SpD to soak common attacks and something who fitted well with this "bulky offense"-esque I had. While Poison Heal Shroomish would be the best choice I wanted something to have actual offensive stats. Oddish seemed plausible but Bulbasaur had something I wanted BADLY: Knock Off.

I had a Special, a Physical and a Mixed wall; so~ I needed something to DISH out hits carelessly. First, a Special Sweeper who wasn't damaged regularly from the sandstorm and/or didn't need Life Orb so it wouldn't die fast. Abra is the fastest Special Sweeper in the tier and has Magic Guard, so it naturally fitted well on the team.

The team doesn't care much of entry hazards (SR only damaging badly Vullaby who can roost, Spikes are uncommon and Toxic Spikes being absorbed by Bulbasaur) so I didn't need a Spinner... that allowed me to choose a fast taunt user to deem futile the attempts to boost. I really liked the Aipom set that spuds4ever suggested on the suspects thread so I borrowed/stole it to my personal use :).

Now, the difficult part: Choosing a Physical sweeper. At the earliest stage of the teambuilding process I tried two Sweepers, Abra being the come in/hit everything and the other being a set up sweeper: Shell Smash Dwebble; but it was so easy to revenge kill. I turned my attention to another Shell Smasher: Omanyte, but it was so difficult to get past those dedicated Special Walls that are prominent in LC: Lileep, Lickitung and Munchlax... I decided to return to a Physical Sweeper in the form of Swords Dance Pawniard, but it didn't fit my playstyle and I already had a Dark STAB with Vullaby (and Steel STAB is useless). It's the slot I had more issues with (Shellder, Timburr, Riolu... I tried them all) because nothing could really please me. Finally I decided to go with the unconventional Rock Polish Cranidos.

And finally, I was Happy with my team :)

Hippopotas (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 Atk / 212 Def / 180 SDef
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Slack Off

At first you might think: "Oh, it's a classic Sand Stream Hippopotas Lead set" but you will be fooled just like many others have been fooled. I have played with a Sand team before and I learned that the classic Hippo set was the kind of set to play conservative so a Drilbur would take advantage of it... and this baby would just sit there with popcorn watching how others had fun. This EV spread and Nature Hits 16 Atk while retaining 25 Def and hitting 19 SpD in exchange of 2 HP points.

My main issue with other sets is that they do nothing after they set rocks up. One should not overlook that Hippo has a very usable Attack Stat. While the other sets look to max out HP and Defense in order to survive, this sets focus on a bulky offense. Earthquake can dispose of Chinchou on the switch and Crunch can also severly injure Natu, Gastly, LO Misdreavus and other flying types who think they can set up on him. Most importantly: it's not useless against taunters. The SpD investment allows him to continously Slack Off on MixKrow while it's slowly and surely taken down by Sandstorm and Life Orb Recoil (some even try to Brave Bird Hippo) and then fire off a powerful STAB Earthquake while Roosting :).

Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 156 Def / 76 SAtk / 236 SDef / 36 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Taunt
- Roost

OMG!!! I LOVE Vullaby <3. I don't like Physically offensive Vullaby because Brave Bird recoil is win-spoiler sometimes. Anyway, my own version of Vullaby is why I call this team Vullysaur. I use this set to counter a lot of pokemon including offensive 'mons like Mienfoo, Timburr, Abra, Gastly (non-Thunderbolt variants) and walls like Lileep, Shelmet, Munchlax and Bronzor (!!!).

The thing is simple: Dark/Flying have very good offensive synergy as the only typing not hit at least neutrally is Steel (easily dispachted by my Offensive Hippo). Taunt means none of those slow walls can recover damage; Taunt Vullaby has the plus it can dispose of Lileep even in SAND.

The EV's let this Bird hit 25 Def and 24 SpD allowing her to survive Volt Switchs and Discharges from Chinchou (and sometimes Thunderbolt if she's at full health); it can soak up Hidden Power Ice from Bronzor, Energy Ball from Lileep (even roosting) but also Hi Jump Kicks from Mienfoo, Drain Punches from Timburr, Ice Punches from Munchlax... the quantity of things Vully can stall out goes on and on meaning she has the time to punch holes on the opposition while stopping any kind of set up.

Bulbasaur (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 204 Def / 236 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Now, the "saur" part comes from THIS. Bulbasaur has key resistances in LC: Fighting, Water and Electric. The set on-site is a Choice Scarf Set but I'm retarded and can't use a Choice Scarf Set if my life depended on it. But that's OK because I didn't mean to use this guy offensively.

While I looked for a Grass-type, I decided a pure Grass wasn't the way to go because of Mienfoo's powerful and continous U-turns; Poison added the invaluable immunity to Toxic and the ability to absorb the rare but disruptive Toxic Spikes. What really made Bulbasaur shine was it's access to Knock Off, a trait shared only with Bellsprout who doesn't have the stats to pull off a defensive set.

EV's and Nature? It hits 21 Def and 24 SpD. When I was constructing this set I thought "Well, I have a Physically Defensive Hippo with some bulk on Special Side and a well balanced Vully... Why not turn him into a Special Bulbasaur with some bulk on the Physical Side?" I risked a lot but in the end it pays off as Bulbasaur can defeat singlehandedly Misdreavus, Chinchou, Ferroseed, Hippopotas... I even almost swept with Bulbasaur thanks to the recovery from Giga Drain and its so-so Special Attack.

Sludge Bomb is the only thing not useful enough on this set as I have the superior Hidden Power Fire to hit opposing Ferroseed, Shroomish, Snover and Oddish but the chance to poison the opponent is really good as it stakes with Sandstorm damage. I'll try Toxic over Sludge Bomb...

Abra (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 SAtk / 200 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Protect

Abra in a Standard HIT FAST set with Focus Sash and Protect. I tried Energy Ball over Psychic to eliminate Drilbur and/or Chinchou, but a Neutral Psychic hits harder than a Super Effective Energy Ball, and it added the power to eliminate Fighting Types. Abra and Vullaby are great partners as unboosted common pokemon that can speed tie/outspeed and beat Abra are Misdreavus, Gastly and opposing Abras who are easily disposed by the Bird.

Abra is also a great partner for Bulbasaur and Hippo; Protect adds Sandstorm damage to everything and Knock Off from the green one helps the sweep as without Eviolite Special Walls are defenseless against it; but Knock Off also takes off the speed boost from Scarfed threats like U-turning Mienfoo and Volt Switch Magnemite.

Aipom (F) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Pickup
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Taunt

This has to be the MOST annoying set I have ever used since Switcheroo Ekans last meta. The credit goes to spuds4ever who mentioned this set in the Metagame Thread a while ago. Lead, scout and hazard preventer, Aipom Outspeeds everything that can set Stealth Rock (except for Diglett who I haven't seen as a lead in AGES). Usually, the opponents try to bring the hazard setter as a lead, probably suspecting I would bring Hippopotas. I fake out the first turn, if the opponent brings something like Frillish to absorb the fake out and then Will-O-Wisp, I taunt and then U-turn to Vullaby; Bronzor? Taunt + U-turn to Vullaby. Ferroseed? Taunt + U-turn to Bulbasaur. Mienfoo? Acrobatics right on the face :)... The EV's are straight forward: MAX Speed, some attack and a little defense to survive Timburr's Mach Punch.

The ability is set to Pick Up as it once picked off an Oran Berry from a lead Dwebble letting me finish him off right there :).

The sad part is it has lost its surprise value. It does well against many hazard setters but maybe I'll try something else over it.

Cranidos (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spd
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Why do I have so many pokemon to deal with fighting types? Because of CRANIDOS. Acrobatics from Aipom, Air Slash from Vullaby, Offensive Bulk from Hippopotas and Bulbasaur and a fast Psychic from Abra means NO fighting type can survive the whole match and that means Cranidos is free to run rampant and do the job just like the Hulk: Smashing.

Now, you may have notice that I run Eviolite on him... Am I insane? I have two good reason and one not-so-good reason to run Eviolite: 1. It helps setting up a Rock Polish, 2. it helps Cranidos survive priority attacks like Sucker Punch, Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave and 3. I like Eviolite :).

This set hits 24 Atk easily disposing of EVERYTHING (even more if Bulbasaur did well with Knock Off), it hits 30 Spd after one Rock Polish outspeeding every common Choice Scarf user and Dragon Dancer (even MaxSpeed Dratini at +2); of course, this set is NOT designed to take on fighting types but if the opponent played cautiously with Timburr or Croagunk, this set hits 16 Def (for Mach Punch) and 19 SpD in Sandstorm (for Vacuum Wave), thank you, Hippo.

With Mold Breaker, Earthquaking has never been easier; Crunch for some fun :) and Head Smash because a) I don't have the recoil from Life Orb, b) I need the power as I don't have a Life Orb; Stone Edge has the same accuracy but I need power. In any case, I usually spam Mold Breaker Earthquakes to lazily finish off the match. Why not just go for Drilbur? Well: Drilbur lacks offensive power, Cranidos is not stopped if, for some reason, I lost a weather war with Snover and I really don't like Drilbur :).

- Choice Scarf Mienfoo: Now THIS can OHKO my unsuspecting Aipom trying Acrobatics on him. Vullaby is usually the one to go to take it out. Luckily, Aipom would have done its job of scouting its item.

- Subnosis Gastly: I let something go to sleep, usually Vullaby as I'm retarded and never remember this thing has Hypnosis :(... and stay there hoping to wake up and attack/roost or die. My Offensive Hippopotas is just enough to take it down but it takes heavy damage. Bulbasaur can't handle him as easy as Misdreavus because Giga Drain doesn't hit hard enough and the recover is lost.

- Defensive Calm Mind Murkrow: I haven't seen one but I can tell it's a F. Bitch as it neutralizes everything I got: Disposes of Hippopotas, can't be worn down by Vullaby, SE damage on Bulbasaur, can hold off Abra and Neutralizes Cranidos... My best bet is a hit and run strategy with Aipom, I guess

- Swords Dance Drilbur: The set I have seen the most usually thinks it can set up on Vullaby, it goes usually like this: Vullaby KO'es something, usually a taunted Bronzor who couldn't set up Screens or SR and Vullaby Roosted off damage to be around 80%, Drilbur shows up unscathed; it Dances, Vully Dark Pulses him for about 30%; it Rock Slides for about 70% leaving me at 10%, Vully Dark Pulses again for another 30%, it Rock Slides, I die; Abra comes in, Drilbur Shadow Claws and Abra Survives thanks to Focus Sash, Abra Psychics, Drilbur dies. I usually have to let something die fighting.

- Choice Scarf Snover: I HATE this guy. If I can catch it in the switch with an Air Slash or Hidden Power Fire (the first, not very likely, the second, more so) I can win; Fake Out from Aipom or Revenge Kill with Abra are my best hopes of dealing with it; and keeping Rocks up can help; if I can beat their spinner, this is less threatening, but hard to take out, nonetheless.

- Choice Scarf Magnemite: I have fought one and I have to say that it's threatening as it packs a lot of power, Abra could revenge kill but I usually don't go with that unless the team doesn't pack another big threat.

- Mixed Attacker Houndour: This thing usually goes out to threaten my Bulbasaur, and I hopefully Knock Off it's Life Orb; if I did, I sacrifice something (usually Hippo) and then Revenge Kill with Abra; but if Abra has lost it Sash, my best bet is to play around it with a combination of Protect to stall out the opponents patience and play an overprediction game with Pursuit/Sucker Punch, Hidden Power/Protect

- Swords Dance Pawniard: Not THAT difficult to take on if Abra has its sash intact; but I usually try to hit it with a Hidden Power Fighting... It pays off as they don't Sucker Punch but Swords Dances or Pursuit.

As far as I can tell, these are my threats but I have the bad habit of overlook my weaknesses :).

The playstyle is simple: as the name implies, Sandy Vullysaur is all about luring out Cranidos Counters and defeat them through a combination of Vullaby, Bulbasaur and Hippopotas. Vullaby is usually the one who takes most damage and the first to go down, but she takes out at least one Cranidos Counter.

The success of this team with Abra as a mid-game sweeper (once Heavy Walls and Sucker Punchers are out) is high as I can finish a game with Cranidos unused.

Also, the suprise factor is HUGE as many of the players don't know what to expect from Bulbasaur and don't know where does its bulkyness lies; so Misdreavus thinks she can defeat them only to take an Overgrow Boosted Giga Drain.

Offensive Hippopotas is also great as it can take care of Natu (doing around 60% damage with Crunch) and set up Stealth Rock.

And I like to get the lights on Vullaby again: its typing and coverage are great but what really makes her the BEST pokemon around is her ability to shut down all the defensive pivots, specially Mienfoo.

I made this team with three main Purposes:

+ Use my all around Vullaby with success.
+ Prove that you don't have to use Drilbur if you play in Sand.
+ Prove that you can win without a Fighting type Pokemon.

I think I made a good attempt in building an unconventional team; I got around 1100~ (I think maybe 1200~) which is something very good for me as I'm not a good teambuilder and learned through Trial&Error.

Maybe not the best team around, maybe I haven't played enough skilled players but this team has proved itself to me.

I will still use them but mostly for fun as I would like to try out something different in the near future :).

Bulbasaur (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 204 Def / 236 SDef
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Knock Off
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Vullaby (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 156 Def / 76 SAtk / 236 SDef / 36 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Air Slash
- Taunt
- Roost

Hippopotas (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 100 Atk / 212 Def / 180 SDef
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Crunch
- Slack Off

Cranidos (F) @ Eviolite
Trait: Mold Breaker
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 212 Spd
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Earthquake
- Crunch

Abra (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 240 SAtk / 200 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Protect

Aipom (F) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Pickup
EVs: 196 Atk / 76 Def / 236 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Acrobatics
- Fake Out
- U-turn
- Taunt

Thanks for reading and thanks for the rates :).

Great looking team, bulba seems to be getting some usage though i prefer oddish myself for better bulk but i ocasionaly switch bulba in for its knock off. Perhaps get some more EVs in SAtk for bulba so giga drain can heal it up some more. But its otherwise an amazing team, great defensive synergy stat wise, however snover looks like an issue, especially scarf. It hits 3 mons super effectively with STAB blizzard and a fourth with its grass STAB, it also gets rid of your sand. If abra sash is broken thats another mon it can take down, probably aipom is the only mon that can take the assault but without eviolite im not sure how well it does that. SS shelder too i think, icicle spear and rock blast with some water STAB(doesnt need the water stab though) kills your team, perhaps another reason to use eviolite aipom as no shell smasher can OHKO it without a crit. But a solid team otherwise.

Edit: Luvdisc :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)