Scyther

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Scyther (Little Cup)

With the advent of the 5th Generation, many changes have occurred in that most interesting of metagames, Little Cup. The general average Speed has decreased with an influx of slower Pokemon, yet it is still unclear how this will affect the metagame as a whole. Both offence and defence have seen substantial boosts, on the one hand the immense potential of new threats such as Tsutarja and Kibago, on the other hand the introduction or implementation of items such as Pre-evolution Stone and Berry Juice. However, what is probably the biggest change is the decision to reintroduce the Little Cup Übers – immensely strong offensive monsters with the alleged power to bring the metagame to a standstill – Scyther, Sneasel, Yanma, Tangela, Meditite, Murkrow and Misdreavus.

This thread is to discuss the competitive impact and applications of one of my favourite Pokemon of all time, not whether it will be banned (apparently I have to say that).

Basic Stats

Typing: Bug / Flying
Ability 1: Swarm
Ability 2: Technician
Dream World: Steadfast

Stats: 70 / 110 / 80 / 55 / 80 / 105

Movepool

Code:
[B]Level-Up Moves:[/B]

Lv1: Vacuum Wave
Lv1: [B]Quick Attack[/B]
Lv1: Leer
Lv5: Focus Energy
Lv9: [B]Pursuit[/B]
Lv13: False Swipe
Lv17: Agility
Lv21: Wing Attack
Lv25: Fury Cutter
Lv29: Slash
Lv33: Razor Wind
Lv37: Double Team
Lv41: [B]X-Scissor[/B]
Lv45: [B]Night Slash[/B]
Lv49: [B]Double Hit[/B]
Lv53: Air Slash
Lv57: [B]Swords Dance[/B]
Lv61: Feint

TM Moves:

TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM16 - Light Screen
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM27 - Return
TM31 - [B]Brick Break[/B]
TM32 - Double Team
TM40 - [B]Aerial Ace[/B]
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract 
TM46 - Thief
TM48 - [I]Sing A Round[/I]
TM54 - False Swipe
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM76 - [I]Bug Resistance[/I]
TM81 - [B]X-Scissor[/B]
TM87 - Swagger
TM89 - [B]U-Turn[/B]
TM90 - Substitute
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM01 - Cut

[B]Egg Moves:[/B]

Counter
[B]Baton Pass[/B]
Razor Wind
[B]Reversal[/B]
Endure
Silver Wind
Bug Buzz
[B]Night Slash[/B]
Defog
[B]Steel Wing[/B]

[B]4th Gen Only Moves:[/B]

[B]Roost[/B]
Captivate
Sleep Talk
Natural Gift
Knock Off
Ominous Wind
Snore
Swift
[B]Tailwind[/B]
[B]Bug Bite[/B]
Headbutt

3rd Gen Only Moves:

Double-Edge
Mimic
So what’s so ‘good’ about it?

Imagine a perfect fusion of Gligar and Taillow, then add Ho-oh wings. That’s Scyther in a nutshell. Fast, powerful, predictable. To go more in-depth, however, we should examine all the different factors combined:

• Stupidly good base stats

Scyther boasts stats of 70/110/80/55/80/105. To put that into context, Scyther’s Attack stat is beaten only by Cranidos and Aaken, and reaches a stat of 22 with an Adamant nature – meaning Scyther can OHKO 236/236 Impish Gligar with a Swords Dance boosted Aerial Ace. Its Speed is similarly good, also maxing out at a stat of 22 with a Jolly nature, meaning that it can outrun Choice Scarf 14 Speed Pokemon, such as Machop, Porygon, and Dratini, without a boost, and is beaten only by fellow ex-Über Sneasel. While not quite as impressive, it isn’t exactly a slouch defensively either – Scyther’s 70/80/80 defences are comparable to Bronzor’s 57/86/86, so can take even STAB super effective attacks such as Sneasel’s Ice Shard.

• A very good ability

Scyther didn’t exactly get off well from the Dream World charity donations, but on the bright side it still has an extremely good ability in the form of Technician. As all those who have faced Scizor in OU know, this ability powers up moves of ‘low’ base power, i.e. 60 or lower, which is extremely useful to bring some forgotten moves to the fore when scavenging Scyther’s ragged movepool. There is nothing in the magnitude of Bullet Punch unfortunately, but Scyther still has access to Quick Attack, which thanks to Technician and Scyther’s very high Attack stat becomes a very nice little priority attack to pick off jokers such as Sucker Punch Croagunk who try to stop you. Elsewhere, STAB moves that would ordinarily be useless, such as Aerial Ace and Bug Bite, become boosted to much higher levels, giving Scyther the power it needs to perform. Unfortunately, important but weak moves such as Night Slash and Brick Break don’t get the boost, which is unfortunate but not a travesty.

• Not much of a movepool, but…

Scyther’s movepool is more barren than a Croydon sports court, but it’s rather like the Garchomp phenomenon in more ways than one. The movepool appears rather limited and lacking in diversity, but everything needed is there – a boosting move, a STAB move, a coverage move, and a priority move – backed up by very good base stats and a deceptively good ability. In Scyther’s case, a movepool consisting of Swords Dance / Aerial Ace / Brick Break / Quick Attack can in theory destroy literally everything in Little Cup. After a Swords Dance, Aerial Ace destroys literally everything that doesn’t outright resist it, and Brick Break can pick off those pesky Rock- and Steel-types that try to ruin your fun. Quick Attack is there to mess around with those who try to outrun Scyther or beat it with priority – for reference, a Swords Dance Life Orb Quick Attack is just about capable of OHKOing Sneasel and other fast-but-frail sweepers.

• The worst typing in all of Pokemon

It’s a funny thing, but in Little Cup certain clearly established rules of thumb are utterly abolished, even where you would not expect them. For example, certain type combinations are nothing but curses in standard OU, but in Little Cup many Pokemon can thrive with them. Prime examples include Kabuto, Aron and Paras. Similarly, in the DPPt metagame two of the seven Übers were Bug/Flying – Scyther and Yanma – almost universally agreed to be the worst typing ever constructed. However, Scyther can function pretty well. The resistances to Grass, Fighting, and Bug help out, as does the Earthquake immunity. True, it does have five absolutely crippling weaknesses, which hurts defensively, but from a purely offensive standpoint, Scyther resists Vacuum Wave and Mach Punch and has little fear of any priority besides Ice Shard, as well as resisting Machop’s Dynamicpunch and Tsutarja’s Leaf Storm. It also has the added bonus of not being trapped by Diglett. Its disadvantages are many, but none can deny that it brings a fascinating method of play to the table.

Has anything changed?

Not really. On Scyther’s side the generation has pretty much passed him by. He got only two new attacks – Sing A Round and Bug Resistance – and the ability Steadfast, which is a poor price to pay for the bonuses of Bug Bite and other useful moves. The new Pokemon introduced, while powerful in some cases, are far and away outclassed by both Scyther’s Speed and attacking power (except in some cases, such as Aaken). Tsutarja and several others seem like they could become popular threats, which is good news for Scyther due to its numerous resistances. However, as ever there are many new threats to consider that Scyther may well be finding troublesome. Aaken is the main one – first having contested Scyther’s place in the top Attack stats, now threatens to make a promising Scarf revenge-killer, which is bad news as it just outruns Jolly Scyther and can knock it for six with STAB Rock Slide. New Steel-, Rock-, Electric-, and Fire-types are springing up like mushrooms, which is bad news, and means that Scyther will be hard pressed to hold its reputation as a sweeper. Not only that, but many old faces got significant upgrades, including Shellder, who now boasts a base 125 power super effective move in Rock Blast thanks to Skill Link, and between that and Ice Shard, Scyther will not be liking the tide. Overall, though, quantity does not equal quality, and Scyther is still looking quite the threatening little mantis.

So, how would you go about stopping it?

Two words: STEALTH ROCK. The single easiest way to stop Scyther setting up is to make sure it can’t, and that involves giving it no free switches. Stripping 50% of its health every time it switches in accomplishes this easily. There is a significant lack of good Rapid Spinners in Little Cup, especially with the drop down of Misdreavus and addition of Pururiru and Gobitto, among others, so keeping Scyther at bay shouldn’t be too arduous. Scyther can, however, still be threatening even with Stealth Rock, so tread carefully. The only common Pokemon that can realistically take an attack from Scyther is Bronzor, who can survive a Swords Dance Brick Break and weaken it with Hidden Power Ice. Next, in true Little Cup fashion, comes revenge-killing – those who are faster or can OHKO with priority. On the priority front, for reference, Sneasel’s Life Orb Ice Shard does 14-20 damage, or 59-84%. Sneasel is also the only Pokemon who outruns Scyther unboosted, but is OHKOed by Swords Dance Quick Attack, so Ice Shard is really your best shot. Phanpy and Shellder can both fire off Ice Shard to weaken Scyther, and can survive Quick Attack, but both are weaker offensively than Sneasel and both are OHKOed by Scyther’s STAB Aerial Ace. On the other hand, Choice Scarf Pokemon that can take Quick Attack and OHKO back are good bets. Likely good options include Gastly, Aaken, and Magnemite.

What would be some good sets, in theory?

Swords Dance

Move1: Swords Dance
Move2: Aerial Ace
Move3: Brick Break
Move4: Quick Attack
Item: Life Orb / Berry Juice
Ability: Technician
Nature: Adamant / Jolly
EVs: 196 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe

This is the classic sweeper Scyther. The epitome of power and speed, the combination of its four moves creates perfect balance and covers all the bases – though the lack of Bug Bite hurts a lot, Scyther is perhaps one of the only Pokemon that hardly ever suffers 4MSS. Swords Dance boosts your Attack to a stupidly high 44 (Adamant) or 40 (Jolly), while Brick Break deals with those pesky Rock- and Steel-types that have the effrontery to resist your main STAB. Life Orb’s power is very important to guarantee OHKOs on Sneasel and Croagunk with Quick Attack, but Berry Juice can be important if you lack Rapid Spin support, as you get what equates to an extra life through the healing once you switch into it. However, if you want to be extra condescending you can slap a Lum Berry on and set up on Machop’s Dynamicpunch (Jolly Scyther outruns Choice Scarf Machop). Unusually for a Little Cup Pokemon, Scyther’s can be almost fully EVed, with only 4 EVs misplaced overall. Attack and Speed are both maximised, while leaving enough EVs to gain a nice extra point in both defensive stats, giving you a respectable overall spread. Oh, and the reason you shouldn’t put any EVs in HP is because Scyther gets 23 HP unboosted, so can switch three times rather than two into Stealth Rock.

Baton Pass

Move1: Baton Pass
Move2: Swords Dance / Agility
Move3: Aerial Ace / Bug Bite
Move4: Substitute / Brick Break
Item: Liechi Berry / Custap Berry

Yep, Scyther really can do everything that Gligar can. Admittedly with a worse typing and completely different playstyle, but you see what I mean. Essentially just play like you would a standard sweeper Scyther, but then when your destruction is imminent, simply Baton Pass away to something guaranteed to irritate the opponent (as in the Cranidos way, not the Sunkern way). Liechi Berry gives your gift an extra kick, but Custap Berry can be very helpful to guarantee the Pass in tandem with Substitute. If you are feeling very ballsy you could try running Swords Dance and Agility on the same set, but this is not recommended.

Choice

Move1: U-turn
Move4: Pursuit / Quick Attack
Item: Choice Band / Choice Scarf

Ordinarily you wouldn’t really want to slap a Choice Band on something that is going to be taking 50% damage every time it switches in, but hey, there are reasons to use this over Gliscor. Outrunning nigh-on everything in the tier and making revenge-killers pay the price is nice in and of itself, but Scyther has some tricks that Gligar and others only wish they had. The immense strength of CB Aerial Ace; the utility of strong STAB U-turn, in a mini-Scizor way; and access to a very, very fast Technician Pursuit, all contribute to this set’s charm. How it will fare in practice, I don’t know, and doubt it will be as strong or popular as the Swords Dancer, but if you need things broken and lots of explosions, Scyther is just the Dictyoptera for the job.

Bulky Scyther

Move1: Aerial Ace
Move2: U-turn
Move3: Quick Attack
Move4: Roost
Item: Berry Juice / Pre-Evolution Stone
Nature: Jolly / Impish
EVs: 116 HP / 196 Def / 196 SpD

While breaking things in an all-or-nothing, death-or-glory blaze of pumice and silicon is undoubtedly very fun and effective, it nevertheless neglects another aspect of Scyther – its very capable defensive stats. While admittedly its typing is rubbish defensively, these sets are useless in Little Cup, it is far more effective as a sweeper, and there are better options for the job (see I have thought this through), there are a couple of nice little things to consider. Scyther’s big Speed and Attack stats are impressive even when unboosted, Roost gets a cool 50% recovery, and is almost unobtainable if you want 5th gen stuff added on – a luxury Scyther does not have. Pre-evolution Stone bucks up the defensive stats a tad, though Berry Juice is probably better even if it does only have one use. Between Roost and attacks, Scyther can potentially outstall certain offensive Pokemon (assuming they don’t have super effective attacks) and wear them down to the ground. The EVs are extremely economical, and add up to exactly 508. With a Jolly nature, you get a respectable 18 Speed and 17 Attack, alongside 25 / 17 / 17 defences. The reason HP isn’t maximised is to grant Scyther a HP stat of 25, allowing at most 3 switches into Stealth Rock. If you want more power or Speed, then rearrange as appropriate. Overall, this set is a gimmick at best, but still worth mentioning.

Tailwind

Move1: Tailwind
Move4: Quick Attack / Bug Bite
Item: Berry Juice / Life Orb
Nature: Adamant

I do so ever like my gimmicks. So here's another. Tailwind is no longer a tutor move, which is a shame as its duration has now been lengthened, and Scyther is as good as any choice to set it up. For those of you who don't know what Tailwind does, it's a bit like a Trick Room team where you aren't always inevitably swept by your opponent's Munchlax. Berry Juice is useful to promote longevity and ensure that Scyther can do something after having set up Tailwind, though Life Orb could be useful for the extra power. Could be fun to try out, but just don't expect any really amazing results.

Choice Specs

Move1: Silver Wind
Move2: Air Slash
Move3: Vacuum Wave
Move4: Hidden Power Ground
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Timid / Modest
EVs: 236 SpA / 236 Spe

Yeah I should probably quit while I’m ahead :(

Final Words:

I don’t think there’s any doubt that Scyther will be one of the most powerful and dangerous Pokemon available in Generation V – his previous, unchanged power tells us that much. However, it will be a very fun experience to test out this most destructive and powerful of Bug-types, in a metagame he can thrive in.

Discuss.

You fail to mention extremespeed from dratini (and less commonly, zigzagoon). Due to the +2 priority, it will outspeed even scyther's quick attack.

Still, scythers extremely impressive defences will be able to take one, but it would probably be easy enough to revenge after stealth rocks are down.

Extremespeed has +1 priority.

Anyway, looks like not much has changed for the big bug this gen, but we might actually see it used in LC. It will still probably be a beast, with the workable movepool, insane stats and good ability. Depending on how Aiming Mark works, Bulky Scyther could actually work (although Roost heals off SR damage, but at the cost of using up a turn in such a fast-paced metagame).

I will always stand by my opinion that Jolly Scarf Scyther is the best set on the best Pokemon in Little Cup.

It outspeeds everything relevent, even +2 Tangela. It hits crazy hard with U-turn, the only things that can switch in are easily set up on

Bologo

Have fun with birds and bees.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not only that, but many old faces got significant upgrades, including Shellder, who now boasts a base 125 power STAB move in Icicle Spear thanks to Skill Link, and between that and Ice Shard, Scyther will not be liking the tide.
Icicle Spear actually isn't STAB for Shellder since he's a pure Water type, and neither is Ice Shard. That means that Scyther can probably live through an Ice Shard at least, since it's pretty weak without STAB.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
Oh, and this is seriously a good thread btw. Best 5th-gen 'mon write-up so far imo

Specs Scyther is actually viable considering it can almost 2HKO Munchlax, and easily 2HKOs Bronzor.

I actually do think he has a moveslot syndrome, since it's a shame he can't have bug bite and pursuit in his standard set as well.

It's fun how 6 out of 7 of the little cup ubers are pokemon who once were standalone pokémon, but got an evolution later.

Scyther should just be happy that he has other pokes to play with in LC ubers. It is a shame that he got banned before tiers were even decided, but he is THAT good.

Its a pity that Scythers SpAtk is just so terrible. He actually has a good Special movepool to abuse Technician with, with Silver Wind (Same power as Bug Bite after STAB and Technician) Vacuum Wave (boosted Fighting priority would be a blessing) and HP Flying (with a BP of 59 so it gets the Technician boost). Sigh. Maybe pass a Tail Glow to it or something...

Scyther is the Arceus of Little Cup. There is little else to be said...

...BTW, I know BMB said not to mention it in the thread, but... isn't Scyther technically banned from 5th Gen LC at this point....? D:

Scyther is the Arceus of Little Cup. There is little else to be said...

...BTW, I know BMB said not to mention it in the thread, but... isn't Scyther technically banned from 5th Gen LC at this point....? D:
And the results:

Scyther: Banned, unanimous
Sneasel: Banned, unanimous
Tangela: Banned, 7/8
Yanma: Banned, 7/8
Berry Juice: Banned, 6/8
Evolution Stone: Unbanned, unanimous
Also, have you played LC on PO? Scyther has already been banned.

...okay... to be clear, then, I was asking to be polite, not becauase I don't know. :0 I KNOW Scyther is banned, but I DON'T know why --
EDIT: I just saw the date of the OP. That'd be why. Nvm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)