LC Seel

[OVERVIEW]
Above-average defenses and access to some interesting support moves in Whirlpool and Perish Song allow Seel to carve out a niche role as the bulkiest Perish trapper, theoretically allowing it to take on a huge number of Pokemon in LC. The downsides are the strategy is one-dimensional and can be easy to play around once revealed, costing the user momentum. Other supporting Water-types such as Mareanie and Frillish are generally better choices, since they can compress multiple roles and fit better in the current metagame.

[SET]
name: Perish Trapper
move 1: Whirlpool
move 2: Perish Song
move 3: Protect
move 4: Rest
item: Eviolite
ability: Thick Fat
nature: Bold
evs: 236 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Perish trapping is a strategy good for removing a foe from the opposing team. Seel's above-average defenses give it ample room to pull of a successful trap and stall out damage. The drawback to this is once your opponent becomes aware of the strategy, it can be easy to play around with moves such as U-turn and Volt Switch or even with ample prediction, causing the momentum to go towards the opponent rather the user. Because of these limiting factors, it is a good rule of thumb to bring another utility Water-Type like Frillish or Mareanie. Regardless, if you're set on using Seel, Perish trapping is the way to go.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[Alan, 43880]]
- Quality checked by: [[Fiend, 08173], [Merritt, 213064]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Fireflame479, 231476]]

Last edited by a moderator:

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Is perish trapping not considered viable anymore? I think that is Seel's only real purpose since the set above isn't very appealing.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
remove add comment
[OVERVIEW]
Seel boasts some above average defensive base stats and some interesting supporting moves, like Perish Song. Seel is probably the only Little Cup Pokémon that can reliably pull this strategy off, which gives it an interesting niche. Unfortunately the juice isn't generally worth the squeeze no The trade off of using a Perish Trapper is not worthwhile when there are Pokémon such as Staryu and Frillish which can compress multiple roles and fit better in the current metagame.

[SET COMMENTS]
Perish trapping is an age-old strategy good for deleting removing a foe from the opposing team. Not sure this will get past GP with "delete" Thanks to Seel's great natural bulk it is able to pull this strategy off with relative ease. Unfortunately there is a heavy trade-off in using Seel in that you must give up another spot on your roster for it, which can be tricky when teambuilding. Regardless, if you're set on using Seel, perish trapping is the way to go.

QC 1/2
[Fiend, 208173]

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
[OVERVIEW]
ok

[SET]
ok

[SET COMMENTS]
"Unfortunately there is a heavy trade-off in using Seel in that you must give up another spot on your roster for it" This means absolutely nothing since this is the case for literally every Pokemon that exists. Give actual, tangible reasons why Seel isn't a good choice for teams here because as it stands the set comments don't have any legitimate reasons against using Seel.

[CREDITS]
Add credits tag. Capitalize your name. Add Fiend to credits.

I'll check this again once you fix set comments.

Merritt

no comment
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host
Head TD
Do not move things to GP without getting a second QC stamp.

[OVERVIEW]
"Seel boasts some above average defensive base stats and some interesting supporting moves, like Perish Song. Seel is probably the only Little Cup Pokémon that can reliably pull this strategy off,"
What strategy? This jumps straight from 'seel has some interesting support moves' to 'seel can pull off this(what?) strategy', and it doesn't work.

Tradeoff isn't the right word here because you don't explain what the trade is - instead say that perish trapping is very niche and there are better Water-types ..."such as Staryu" and replace Frillish with Mareanie.

[SET]
ok

[SET COMMENTS]
You can probably combine the first and second sentence but you can also leave it and have GP weigh in on it. "While Perish Trapping is useful in the right situation, there are it is a very niche use at best, if it fails then there isn't much Seel can do to recover and it can swing the momentum against the user's favor." This is still incredibly vague but you have the right thoughts in here. The main downfalls of perish trapping are opponent awareness of the strategy (in which case it's very possible to play around by using smart switches), and loss of momentum after the opponent does prevent a successful perish trap. Because of this it's generally advisable to use a more general utility Water-type.

[CREDITS]
remove me until I stamp this.

Still has a lot to fix so I'm not stamping yet, tag me when this is implemented.

Merritt I've given it another go (put pending next to your name so I can just remove that instead of type it out again. I will also be away for the weekend so I won't likely see any comments until Monday.

Merritt

no comment
Head TD
[OVERVIEW]
Adjust and combine the first couple sentences - something along the lines of "Seel carves out a niche as the bulkiest Perish Trapper in LC, with its access to Whirlpool and Perish Song letting it theoretically take on and defeat a huge number of Pokemon in LC." Then continue on with "The downside..."

[SET]
ok

[SET COMMENTS]
"Age-old" is overdoing it but I'll leave that to GP.
"Because of these limiting factors, it is a good rule of thumb to bring an additional utility Water-Type like Frillish or Mareanie." No, the point I was making was bring these instead of Seel, not in addition to.

This whole thing is kind of long but alright.

[CREDITS]
remove pending

2/2

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove Add Comments (AC)= add comma (RC)= remove comma (AH)= add hyphen (RH)= remove hyphen
[OVERVIEW]
Above-(AH)average defenses,(RC) and access to some interesting support moves,(RC) in Whirlpool and Perish Song,(RC) allows allow Seel to carve out a niche role as the bulkiest Perish trapper, theoretically allowing it to take on a huge number of Pokemon in LC. The downsides are is the strategy is one-dimensional and once it is revealed,(RC) can be easy to play around once revealed, costing the user momentum. Other supporting Water-types such as Mareanie and Frillish are generally better choices, since they can compress multiple roles and fit better in the current metagame.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Perish trapping is a strategy good for removing a foe from the opposing team. Seel's above-average defenses give it ample room to pull of a successful trap and stall out damage. The drawback to this is once your opponent becomes aware of the strategy, it can be easy to play around with moves such as U-turn or and Volt Switch or even with ample prediction, causing the momentum to go towards the opponent rather the user. Because of these limiting factors, it is a good rule of thumb to bring another utility Water-Type like Frillish or Mareanie. Regardless, if you're set on using Seel, Perish trapping is the way to go.

- Written by: [[Alan, 43880]]
- Quality checked by: [[Fiend, 08173], [[Merritt, 213064]]
- Grammar checked by: [[<username1>, <userid1>]]
GP 1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)