Serperior

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
O.o
I'm really new to competitive battling, please consider the fact that I have no tutor for this. Who uses Venusaur or tentacruel in OU?! That's what I plan to use him for when I finally get the game!
Also, I mean it would be good assuming that you already have light screen and stealth rock up while using Jaroda after the fact.

We cannot really make a solid comment on this since we don't yet know Tier arrangments for Gen 5 What I can tell you is that in Gen 4 Tentacruel is OU and Venasaur is UU. It seems likely that Jaroda will have to contend with at least one of the pokemon. (but again we don't know for sure until the metagame has cleared).

EDIT at below

Actually Rest Talk Gyarados does a pretty good Job as well

and its no reason to assume that Tentacruel will still be OU in Gen V

We cannot really make a solid comment on this since we don't yet know Tier arrangments for Gen 5 What I can tell you is that in Gen 4 Tentacruel is OU and Venasaur is UU. It seems likely that Jaroda will have to contend with at least one of the pokemon. (but again we don't know for sure until the metagame has cleared).

EDIT at below

Actually Rest Talk Gyarados does a pretty good Job as well

and its no reason to assume that Tentacruel will still be OU in Gen V
I just mean that in all these battles I had in the OU tier on Shoddy (about 500) I have only seen a tentacruel less than 10 times. *Uses thunderbolt*
Dead squid right there.

I really hope this thing gets some major improvements when the inevitable third version rolls around, it's just begging for Earth Power to hit Heatran, or Flamethrower to deter fellow grass types, or anything for type coverage that isn't Hidden Power really. If Contrarian works the way we hope it does though it will at least be a pretty scary sweeper if you build your team around it; you'd need to eliminate dual resists and bulkier resists, but from there it would be pretty scary with Leaf Storm plus HP, or Specs/Scarf Leaf Storm growing stronger every turn. It will require some effort to use but depending on how the metagame shapes up it could find some value.

Its going to be a novelty/trophy Pokemon. Nothing more.

Meaning.. trash bin.

But hey, at least it looks cool. It's just a shame its movepool is as bare as Meganiums.

I think a defensive calm minder like Celebi could work with Contratian leaf storm, or just energy ball for higher pp. Like Calm mind/rest/sleep talk/energy ball or Leafstorm.

I Think taunt would be an intresting option something that sets it apart from other grass type walls, a fast taunt can be useful in many situations. Could be used to Stop Blisseys with taunt+leech seed

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Jaroda would be a good Special Sweeper in UU and cant bielieve no one posted a Special Sweeper Moveset

Jolly
252 Spe/252 SAk/4 Hp
Leaf Storm
Hidden Power Fire
Wring Out
Giga Drain/Glare

You may thing "Wring Out! What are you thinking?" It's a Power 110 move when the opponent is at max Health which means use Jaroda as an Early Game Sweeper and no Entry Hazards. Hidden Power Fire is there for a trio of moves unresisted in UU. The last move is filler, but it could still be useful. Giga Drain is healing and Glare is Paralyzing

If it's in here already, sorry.

But how viable would Sub/CM/Seed/Giga Drain be?

With Overgrow of course.

EDIT: Durp, why did I forget the Speed?

Max Speed, invest strongly in Defense, and put the rest in SpD or split it between HP and SpD depending on preferences. CM can boost Giga Drain's power (and therefore the amount recovered).

Jaroda @ Leftovers
Ability: Overgrow
Nature: Timid
EVs: ? HP / ? Def / ? SpD / 252 Spe (too lazy to do calcs atm, and some people say invest in HP while others don't)
~ Substitute
~ Leech Seed
~ Calm Mind
~ Giga Drain / Hidden Power Ice (Extra healing + STAB vs. ability to hit enemy Grass-types that you can't seed)

Entry hazards would help this, especially Toxic Spikes.

Personally, I wouldn't use HP Ev's on the Leech Seeder. It'd make more sense to put them in his defenses, since he might not gain enough HP back to make another sub the next turn. Giga Drain could work, but with only 8 PP, it's not that reliable.

I think a lot of you are completely forgetting how Grass-types cannot deal with Jaroda, specifically the SubSeed set. Torment + Substitute means Venusaur stands no chance. Sludge Bomb will be Protected on, while his Grass move won't be able to break the Substitute. Sleep Powder and Synthesis usually fill the last slot, but I guess if we were talking OU it'd probably run HP Ground for Heatran, Metagross, and Jirachi. Tentacruel suffers the same fate: it can't do anything to Jaroda. The best Tentacruel can do is set up Toxic Spikes, but you should have a Pokemon on your team for that. Offensive SubSeed variants beat Tentacruel with Leaf Blade, while Surf or HP Electric won't be doing much back.

Honestly, I don't see either one of these Pokemon being OU in the first place this gen, although I don't see Jaroda there either. Venusaur suffers from mediocre stats all around, while Tentacruel isn't as necessary because other Rapid Spinners can do other stuff like Donphan (throw around powerful Earthquakes, counter Dragon-types with Ice Shard) and Forretress (beat SubSplit Gengar). Tentacruel loses to physical Infernape, and he can't switch into the common Grass-types in the tier (Shaymin, Celebi, Breloom). I don't know, I think a lot of you are dismissing Jaroda without even testing or thinking of how Torment works..

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Venusaur gets Chlorophyll as a Dream World ability and with Ninetails and Politoed shaking things up, I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he were OU this gen.

SD Venusaur actually does (22.88% - 27.12%) to Max/Min neutral Jaroda, which means it will often break the Sub. It doesn't necessarily care about Torment either, as it will just use the opportunity to SD.

The subseed set has potential yes, and will probably carve out its own niche like TormentTran does, but I don't think it will be used too often.

At first, I was dissapointed at Smuglord's stats. But the more I thought about it, the more I fell n love.

The defensive proporties are amazing. I still find Jumpluff useful, and I do agree that he can be a better Pluff. He gets both Screens, which I absolutley love, and he gets plenty of disabling moves, so he is free to seed.

And with a free NP Leaf Storm, he only gets better.

I like this poke. Not OU material, but won't immediately die upon going there.

Leaf Strom looks sexy.

I mean, use a STAB 140 BP move, and get a free NP!
Joroda is fast too, and even if it gets low attack, it can still pose a threat (one Leaf Strom, and Jaroda is stronger than, say, Exeggutor. Think this can make a good Specs poke?).

Also, the sub seed, Dual Screener and Torment sets are solid. Jaroda seems a useful poke overall.

It can be paired with Shanderaa to get rid of grass/bug/<name something here> pokes, so you can Leech Seed everything to death.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Tutors of BW=Tutors of DP, there is still a third version I'm assuming grey, it will have more tutors just like platinum and there might be a remake of RSE(highly possible since HGSS uses the TM/HM base on DPP, RSE can use TM/HM based on BW since they both have dive). And when it does it will have a wider movepool just like how we never expected scizor to be so strong in DP until it gets bullet punch in platinum, Bug Bite and Superpower are further addition in HGSS=)
Yeah cool, but as of now, we're playing Black/White, not Pokémon Iwanttobelieve Version. Jaroda has no moves and is either going to be a cool Subseeder or the best Contrarian abuser there is.

I can't see the specs set being used; Jaroda has a low special attack, only slightly above average (for a sweeper) defenses and there are no shortage of high tier guys with moderate special defense + grass resists (in both UU and OU). He can't afford NOT to use Leaf storm, since unless his opponent has low defenses or is 4* weak, his coverage moves are going to be completely useless.

has the ability and leaf storm been tested? does he gain +2 SpA
I'm really thinking that it's just going to add +2 to the -2 Leaf Storm drop. Which leaves you where you started. With an unfortunate pokemon.

I'm still interested in a set with Dual Screens, Glare, and Leaf Storm though.

I'm still really disappointed that nobody else is seeing that a bulky, fast subseeder with a move that has a 90% chance of paralyzing EVERYTHING is going to be an amazingly difficulty threat to deal with for the unprepared team.

Of course, theorycrafting can only take you so far. We'll see firsthand how many people ragequit when the Gen V simulator comes out.

yeah I mean look. This gen we have pokemon with base 140+ offenses and decent 70+ speed running around with choice scarfs. Anything that can take a hit and paralyse/subseed through teams to cripple as many of these sweeper threats as possible is going to be somewhat useful.

yeah I mean look. This gen we have pokemon with base 140+ offenses and decent 70+ speed running around with choice scarfs. Anything that can take a hit and paralyse/subseed through teams to cripple as many of these sweeper threats as possible is going to be somewhat useful.
Very true, and paralyzing ground types and wearing teams down a bit will be SUPER important with garchomp running around again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)