Settling into a new city

Hey all. This weekend I'm making a big move to Florida, where I don't know anyone, for a good job and I'm a little nervous. I lived for two years in Utah while I was in grad school but I never felt like I fit in.

I got along well with other grad students and professors but nothing really blossomed into an out of work friendship or relationship. Early on I tried going to board game meetups and comic book shops for Friday Night Magic, and that was fun for a little while but I never felt like I could talk to them outside the store.

As time went on I got increasingly frustrated because I couldn't really go to anyone if I wanted to just chill out. No one who would go to a movie, concert, or event, no one to play video games or watch TV and anime with, no gym buddies, rock climbing partners, hikers, or skiers. What I wanted was a good enough friend that we could enjoy each other's company no matter what we were doing but I got a lot of resistance instead. No one has time for anything, and the best I could swing was really boring small talky dinner parties with a number of (admittedly good) people and the occasional group outing to some bar.

Toward the end I still got by streaming and skyping with my old friends, but I couldn't shake my frustration and I started to go out to bars by myself to meet people in general and used Tinder to see if I could run into some like-minded dates. Browsed a few nice bars, went on a couple reasonable dates, but I never felt comfortable and it didn't work out.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is things seemed so much more natural in college, lots of open minded similar aged people with time on their hands not tied down to a wife and kids and often forced into communal living areas. And I had a good enough time with some interesting acquaintances but I felt like I was missing something.

Does anyone have tips or experience on the subject? How can I get the most out of exploring a new city on my own? Do I just need to run into the right person for something to click and be more patient? Or should I continue to try and force my way into better situations even if it's not initially something I'm comfortable with?

Welcome to Florida!

I live in Miami, have been since I moved from Puerto Rico when I was five years old!
Settling into a new town/city can be exhausting and scary at first. I spent a year over in NYC for an internship about two years ago and I can tell you that I've felt the same way. Luckily for you, you're going to be working in your nice new job and you will have plenty of opportunities to get to know your co-workers. It seems to me that you have no issue socializing with people so the best thing you can do is be patient. The best friendships/relationships happen naturally :-)

It took me a few weeks to find a group of people that I could talk to on a regular basis and develop a mutual friendship with. By the end of my internship they we're all good friends to me. If you're looking for a guide or a local to help you get settled into Florida than your workplace would be a great start :-) Good luck fellow Floridian !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)