Shine N U Crazy Diamond - NU RMT

Introduction

So with Espeon banned and my previous team ("NU Frontier") patched up with Gardevoir, I decided to make another team using the other awesome Psychic-type in the tier: Jynx. Jynx is one of the most irritating and awesome Pokemon, even in UU. If you don't have anything that can take a Sleep and Ice Beam, you're going to lose at least one Pokemon. The best thing about Jynx is that it can keep on Sleeping, Subbing, and attacking always leaving it with a Substitute when the opponent faints. Substitute is probably the best move in the NU tier on Special Sweepers just for the protection and status immunity.

The one (offensive) downside of Jynx is that it's impossible to get through the standard Walrein, Politoed, and the like. So, I designed a team that lures and weakens most bulky water-types. Of course I make sure to make my team functional of the plan doesn't work out, because let's be honest, nothing goes according to plan.

Anyway, this team has gone undefeated (I'm at like 1300ish on the PO ladder) so far, so I figure I should retire (at least for laddering) / post it.

Onto the team (and no it isn't Pink Floyd themed, just the team name):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Team Shine NU Crazy Diamond:

Piloswine (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Avalanche
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock

Role Summary: Well this slot is the one that's up for debate. I love Piloswine, it gets me so many kills per match with its strong STAB Ice Shard, Avalanche, and Earthquake. Stealth Rock goes up, then I have a killing machine. The one Pokemon that I'd replace is this because I am sort of weak to Ground/Fighting attacks at the moment. The only viable replacement I could think of would be Gligar, but Piloswine is far more destructive.

Moveset: Earthquake is self explanatory. Stealth Rock gives my team that needed edge when the opponent switches in, and Ice Shard is a great revenge killer. Avalanche is an underrated attack. When the opponent's Persian or whatever decides to Fake Out + U-turn to something like Charizard or Exeggutor, they will only find a swift OHKO, courtesy of Avalanche.

EVs, Nature, and Item: 56 Speed gives me the edge on some slower leads, but the bulk is needed to deal with most other ones. Maximum attack, an adamant nature, and Life Orb make Piloswine a dangerous killing machine.

Magneton
@ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 64 HP / 216 Spd / 228 SAtk
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Role Summary: An excellent duo with Politoed. Magneton switches into (physical) Bug, (physical) Dark, Grass, and Electric attacks aimed at Politoed, while Politoad takes basically everything else. It also makes a great Regice / Walrein counter. I switch into these attacks, set up a Substitute, and usually KO something with Magneton's impressive SpA stat. Substitute sweepers are the way to go in NU.

Moveset: Substitute gives me the edge on so many Pokemon when they switch in, especially ones like Sandslash and Gligar. Thunderbolt, HP Ground, and Flash Cannon are incredible attacks because they are strong as hell or super effective against every foe.

EVs, Nature, and Item: First and formost, Leftovers and a Substitute number are essential because I want Magneton sticking around. 216 Spe EVs are put in to outpace base 55s like Exeggutor. The rest goes into SpA with a Modest nature, making Magneton quite hard to beat, especially when it has a Substitute up.

Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP / 68 Def / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Surf
- Encore
- Toxic
- Protect

Role Summary: The other half of the MagneToed combo. It takes all of those crazy Fire-types that plague the NU metagame with ease, as well as spreading Toxic - specifically on other bulky waters. I need Walrein and Lapras in particular to be removed if I want to sweep with Jynx.

Moveset: This is the same set that I use on Walrein. It beats bulky waters, Fire-types, and can't be set up on. What more could you ask for in a bulky water?

EVs, Nature, and Item: I gave it max SpD because I need it to take the odd SE Hidden Power. I gave it some Defense to try and survive some hits from certain Fighting types, but the rest is dumped in HP.

Haunter (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Substitute
- Sludge Bomb

Role Summary: I have never had a successful NU team without Sub Life Orb Haunter. I mean, it's such an amazing Pokemon. It blocks Rapid Spin, has absolutely key immunities, lures and weakens Skuntank, and often just plows through teams because they simply can't deal with Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Hidden Power Ground.

Moveset: Substitute is necessary for prediction easing, status dodging, set scouting, and Pursuit protection. Shadow Ball, Sludge Bomb, and Hidden Power Ground pick this metagame apart. I pity whoever still runs Destiny Bond over Hidden Power Ground, only to be kicked in the teeth when Magneton comes and sets up.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Straightforward. Max/Max with Life Orb for damage and sweeping potential, and it's not like Haunter can take a hit anyway.

Magmortar
(M) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Thunderbolt
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Earthquake

Role Summary: Magmortar is one of those Pokemon that doesn't really need an explanation. It's probably the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier, and its one of my favorite ways of removing Walrein. It comes in on Fire Blast, and then I force it out with Magneton. It can only do this twice with Stealth Rock up. If I predict and use Thunderbolt, gg Jynx sweep.

Moveset: The only peculiar thing here is that I forgo Hidden Power. The reason I did this is simply because I can hit Quagsire and co. hard enough with Focus Blast, and Focus Blast nails Walrein. Earthquake hits other Fire-types (namely Flareon), and Thunderbolt fucks over Water-types.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Hasty is unfortunately needed to defeat Adamant Relicanth after it uses Rock Polish. Max/Max otherwise to deal the most damage possible and sweep effectively.

Jynx
(F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Oblivious
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Spd / 248 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Lovely Kiss
- Ice Beam
- Substitute
- Nasty Plot

Role Summary: End game finisher. This Jynx is probably the most annoying and stupid set I've ever used, but it's so good. I can literally walk in on any Pokemon Jynx outspeeds with its base 95 Spe (high for NU), Lovely Kiss, set up a Substitute, Nasty Plot, rinse and repeat and end the game by doing this over and over. I'm kind of confused that Espeon was banned and not Jynx. Why don't people use it??

Moveset: Nasty Plot + Ice Beam takes care of literally every Pokemon but Walrein and Lapras. Substitute is there fore insurance, and Lovely Kiss gives me time to set up.

EVs, Nature, and Item: Fast to set up on more foes, near Max SpA to hit hard, and 8 HP EVs for a Substitute number, allowing me to Substitute one more time in a row.

Rate/Hate/Steal!

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Heysup, since when is espeon banned? Please post a link if you have one!

Onto a rate. Rock polish Relicanth sweeps destroys your team. With adamant and a life orb, it outspeeds and ohkoes your team at +2 (has ~50% chance of the ko on politoed after rocks, and with any residual damage you have to pray for a miss). It can set up on Magmortar's fire blast, and if it does you have literally nothing to stop it. Changing magmortar to hasty would solve the problem of adamant relicanth, as it outspeeds a +2 adamant rockfish. (jolly lacks the power to ohko politoed and piloswine, though they are crippled)

Another apparent threat is subs manectric. It can switch in on politoed and force it out, and then something will die. If you feel like encoring a manectric then more power to you, but it's a threat to this team using just tbolt and flamethrower as it outspeeds everything that isn't magmortar. imo, not sure how to solve this issue, outside of maybe changing politoed for a jumpluff... But that has huge synergy issues with the team (jynx already abuses sleep ect.)

PINK FLOYD RULES... although the lack of any dogs, sheep, or pigs is concerning =P

edit: Jumpluff walks over this team, with all the users of substitute, and can encore/cripple a ton of stuff. I'm not entirely sure how to fix this either, as it's mainly playstyle. Whatever.

Heysup, since when is espeon banned? Please post a link if you have one!
Espeon was banned here on PO, along with Entei
http://z6.invisionfree.com/Project_NU/index.php?showforum=3

I've acctually never played this team and I'm on PO quite a bit. The threats that Nails posted stand. I think you can get away with Relicanth, since it has difficulty setting up on anything really. It looks pretty solid, I acctually don't think that Jynx is really that great, I've never had any trouble with it, but that's probably becuase it doesn't get much of a chance to set up on my team. I'm gonna go play around with it before I give it a rate.

ScarfApe would fix up your Jumpluff, Relicanth and Manetric problem.

U-turn for Manetric, break sub, switch into a Pokémon that can handle the predicted move. And play from there. Piloswine also does pretty well against Jumpluff with his priority STAB.

Thanks for the rates guys
Onto a rate. Rock polish Relicanth sweeps destroys your team. With adamant and a life orb, it outspeeds and ohkoes your team at +2 (has ~50% chance of the ko on politoed after rocks, and with any residual damage you have to pray for a miss). It can set up on Magmortar's fire blast, and if it does you have literally nothing to stop it. Changing magmortar to hasty would solve the problem of adamant relicanth, as it outspeeds a +2 adamant rockfish. (jolly lacks the power to ohko politoed and piloswine, though they are crippled)
Yea, that's an oversight by me...I've honestly never let Relicanth set up (since I rarely ever send Magmortar out unless it has a sweep or to lure a bulky water). I'll use Hasty.
ScarfApe would fix up your Jumpluff, Relicanth and Manetric problem.

U-turn for Manetric, break sub, switch into a Pokémon that can handle the predicted move. And play from there. Piloswine also does pretty well against Jumpluff with his priority STAB.
ScarfApe over Magmortar? The trouble is that it doesn't lure bulky Waters, resist Grass/Fire, or anything. Of course, I could always try it out. Relicanth, Jumpluff, and Manectric are not huge problems really, and I think Magmortar solves all three for me in the end.

Hi,

Really solid team here so there isnt much to say. Just a nitpick really.

Consider a set of Substitute / Thunderbolt / HP Grass / Charge Beam on Magneton. That makes you way more difficult to wall because the grass types that wall electric / grass cant usually touch you (unless theyre smart and run HP Fire, but thats rare). This guy is one of my favorite set up sweepers because after a few boosts it will rampage through everything and its typing gives it a ton of free subs. HP Grass because Quagsire is a bit of a dick to your team (besides Politoed, but it could eat a Toxic), and grass types cant usually touch you anway. Really this set only hates Gligar, but literally the rest of your team all lol at gligar.

Secondary mention goes to magnet rise > charge beam, but you dont need the coverage anyway so why bother...

Gl going forward!

EDIT: Random, but do you need LO on piloswine? Lum Berry might help it out in the lead scenario for Butterfree / Venomoth / Hypnosis Persian and Purugly. TSpikes Moth looks like a real bitch for your team so maybe stopping its set up would be better.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
UH JYNX. I don't know a damn thing about the NU metagame but you fucking use Jynx so I felt I needed to comment. I remember posting in the NU metagame thread asking about why no one uses Jynx since, as you obviously know, I was using it to rampage through the UU metagame a few months back...good to see someone is repping the whore.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)