Ubers Skarmory

ckw

Tired
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
[OVERVIEW]

* Skarmory has a high Defense stat and great defensive typing, allowing it to check common physical setup sweepers such as Extreme Killer Arceus, Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon lacking Fire-type coverage, and Mega Salamence.
* Skarmory's access to support moves such as Spikes, Stealth Rock, Toxic, and Whirlwind make it a good support Pokemon in the tier, that can phaze threats as well as set up Spikes, making it a good addition to stall teams.
* However, Skarmory has very poor Special Defense and gets heavily damaged by even resisted hits from Special attackers like Xerneas.
* Skarmory also lacks any offensive presence and gets absolutely stopped by Taunt users like Yveltal and Mega Mewtwo, as well as Pokemon with Magic Bounce, such as Mega Sableye.
* Skarmory faces competition as a defensive wall from bulky Pokemon such as Celesteela and from Spike setters like Ferrothorn and Klefki.

[SET]
name: Physically Defensive Wall
move 1: Spikes
move 2: Toxic
move 3: Whirlwind
move 4: Roost
item: Leftovers / Shed Shell
ability: Sturdy
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Spikes allow Skarmory to punish its checks whenever they are switching in and pairs rather well with Whirlwind.
* Toxic allows Skarmory to slowly wear down offensive threats it is normally checked by, such as Primal Groudon.
* Whirlwind allows Skarmory to rack up hazard damage by phazing out setup sweepers such as Mega Salamence, Extreme Killer Arceus, and Swords Dance Arceus-Ground.
* Roost is mandatory for Skarmory to function as a proper physically defensive wall.

Set Details
========

* The EV spread and a Bold nature maximize physical defense, allowing Skarmory to avoid 2HKO from +4 Extreme Killer Arceus Shadow Claw and a 2HKO from +2 Mega Salamence Double from full heath.
* Leftovers gives Skarmory passive recovery that increases its longevity and also lets it avoid being 2HKOed by +2 Mega Salamence and +4 Extreme Killer Arceus Shadow Claw.
* A more specially defensive EV spread with 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD is also an option that prevents Skarmory from getting 2HKOed by support Arceus-formes in exchange for lesser physically defensive bulk.
* Skarmory can also hold a Shed Shell to avoid getting trapped by Mega Gengar; Skarmory gets completely walled because it doesn't usually carry any attacking moves.

Usage Tips
========

* Switch in Skarmory on Pokemon that it checks, namely Mega Salamence, Extreme Killer Arceus, and Arceus-Ground, and set up entry hazards such as Spikes. If they attempt to set up on Skarmory, phazing them out with Whirlwind is the preferred action.
* Take advantage of Skarmory's ability, Sturdy, in emergency situations to phaze out setup sweepers such as Xerneas, if required.
* If Skarmory is not holding Shed Shell and the opponent has Mega Gengar, be cautious with Skarmory. Predicting a switch to Gengar and switching to something that checks it can stop it from Mega Evolving, which helps Skarmory in the long run.
* Switch Skarmory out when predicting an opposing Taunt, to a Pokemon that can check the foe.
* Avoid attempting to set up hazards when facing teams with Mega Sableye, since it completely walls Skarmory and can also bounce back Spikes.
* Go for Whirlwind or Toxic when predicting switches to Skarmory's checks to annoy the opposing team, especially when Spikes or Stealth Rock are up on the opposing side.
* Take advantage of situations where Skarmory walls the opponent by setting up Spikes, spreading Toxic, and by phazing threats.
* Keep Skarmory's HP as high as possible with the aid of Roost so that Skarmory can function as a proper wall.

Team Options
========

* Skarmory appreciates checks to threats such as Xerneas and Primal Kyogre, making Primal Groudon a reasonable partner. It can also run Stealth Rock, which compliments Skarmory's ability to set up Spikes and phazing capability with Whirlwind.
* Primal Kyogre in conjunction with Skarmory is able to check Primal Groudon. Primal Kyogre can be switched in on a predicted Fire-type move and threaten Primal Groudon with Water STAB. Primal Kyogre also appreciates Spikes support from Skarmory to weaken checks such as Ferrothorn and Primal Groudon.
* Giratina-O also pair well, as it can check Primal Groudon and block Rapid Spin thanks to its Ghost typing. Defensive Arceus-Ground can also check Primal Groudon as well as provide Defog support if required.
* Pokemon like Toxapex, Zygarde-C, and Ho-Oh, that can check Mega Lucario, are good teammates for Skarmory, since Mega Lucario, as the last Pokemon, can easily set up on it and deal heavy damage.
* Strong offensive Pokemon such as Mega Gengar, Primal Groudon, and Ho-Oh, are great teammates that appreciate Skarmory's ability to deal with physical threats.
* Checks to Ho-Oh are required when using Skarmory, making Pokemon such as Arceus-Water, Arceus-Rock, and Tyranitar good teammates.
* Tyranitar and Alolan Muk also pair well with Skarmory since they can provide Pursuit support. This discourages Gengar from coming in entirely, since it doesn't appreciate getting Pursuit trapped, which allows Leftovers variants of Skarmory to freely set up Spikes. Both can also trap Pokemon that cause trouble for stall teams, such as Deoxys-A. Furthermore, Tyranitar can OHKO Yveltal, another troubling Pokemon for stall teams.
* Specially Defensive Pokemon such as Blissey, Chansey, and Clefable are great teammates that appreciate Skarmory's ability to check physical threats like Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus.
[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Taunt can be run to shut down support Pokemon such as Lugia and Zygarde and also prevents Defog users from removing entry hazards. However, Skarmory's standard set is more consistent as the usual Defog users outspeed Skarmory and can easily remove entry hazards.
* Running Stealth Rock over Spikes relieves teammates such as Primal Groudon from running Stealth Rock to use a more offensive set.
* Skarmory can hold Rocky Helmet to deal damage to Physical Attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus and Mega Salamence, though Skarmory appreciates passive recovery from Leftovers more, as it allows Skarmory to wall physical threats efficiently.
* Defog is also a possible move, but it should only be run if absolutely required as the move doesn't go well with Spikes.
* Red Card can be used if Skarmory is being used as a lead on more offensive teams where it can force a random switch if hit with an attack.
* Counter is a decent move pick as well, as it allows Skarmory to hit back physical threats such as Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus with something. However, this would only be very helpful if the foe is the last Pokemon in the team since, most of the time, these threats should be phazed out with Whirlwind.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye will wall Skarmory for the entirety of any game as it does not have anything to hit back with and all the Spikes and Toxic will simply bounce off due to its great ability.

**Special Attackers*: Due to Skarmory's horrible Special Defense, it gets heavily weakened by Special Attackers such as Yveltal, Mewtwo, Deoxys-A, Lunala, Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Arceus-formes that can deal neutral damage.

**Mega Gengar**: When not holding the Shed Shell, Mega Gengar can easily trap Skarmory and proceed to Taunt or KO it with multiple Shadow Ball. However, when not able to trap Skarmory, it may get Pursuit-trapped by either Alolan Muk or Tyranitar, which are great partners for Skarmory in this case.

**Fire-types**: Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, and Pokemon with Fire-type coverage can easily switch in against Skarmory can proceed to KO it with Sacred Fire and Fire Punch or Lava Plume respectively, and Toxic doesn't affect Ho-Oh's ability to counter Skarmory thanks to Regenerator. However, Primal Groudon can be Toxic-ed on the switch and get played around if it lacks Fire-type coverage.

**Mega Lucario**: Mega Lucario can easily setup on Skarmory if it's the last Pokemon of the opposing team and proceed to sweep. It can also switch into Skarmory to deal heavy damage with Close Combat.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Deoxys-S and Yveltal can completely shut down Skarmory. Deoxys-S can stop Skarmory from setting up Spikes and proceed to set up its own entry hazard, and Yveltal can easily beat Skarmory since it has no method of hitting Yveltal for damage.

**Pokemon Immune to Toxic**: Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Toxapex, and Celesteela can cause stalemates between Skarmory as they are immune to Toxic and can face Skarmory one-on-one. Ferrothorn and Celesteela can use Leech Seed, the former can setup entry hazards, and Toxapex can set up Toxic Spikes.

Last edited:
In the Overview I'd like to see a mention of some of the new Pokemon Skarmory sees competition from, such as Celesteela and Zygarde-C, and how they compare. Being able to phaze and spike doesn't alone make Skarmory a good addition to stall teams, so be more specific here.

In Set Details give a few defensive benchmarks that Skarmory can hit with max defense investment. Why wouldn't I want to use a more specially defensive spread?

Under Usage Tips mention how Sturdy can be used to emergency check threats. Also explain how you can play around MSab/potential taunt users and Gengar if not carrying Shed Shell.

Team Options needs to be buffed. Partners that appreciate physical attackers being taken on is not limited to the blobs + Clef. Add Primal Kyogre somewhere and mention how it can deal with Primal Groudon in conjunction with Skarmory and how it appreciates the hazard support in wearing down its checks. Talk more about why Tyranitar and Muk are great partners for Skarmory. Yes they can trap Gengar, but moreso that they discourage it from switching at all which gives Skarmory more leeway in spiking. There are several other reasons I might use them in a team with skarmory so flush out those as well.

Stealth Rock, Rocky Helmet, and Red Card can go in OO. SR can be used over Spikes if you want to free up a teammate to run a more offensive set, while Rocky Helmet lets you punish physical attackers and Red Card can work on more offensive teams that use Skarmory.

Remove Rapid Spin from C&C. Mega Lucario should be mentioned in a section. Move Taunt below Fire-types since it's not as common.

Last edited:
Reactions: ckw

ckw

Tired
In the Overview I'd like to see a mention of some of the new Pokemon Skarmory sees competition from, such as Celesteela and Zygarde-C, and how they compare. Being able to phaze and spike doesn't alone make Skarmory a good addition to stall teams, so be more specific here.

In Set Details give a few defensive benchmarks that Skarmory can hit with max defense investment. Why wouldn't I want to use a more specially defensive spread?

Under Usage Tips mention how Sturdy can be used to emergency check threats. Also explain how you can play around MSab/potential taunt users and Gengar if not carrying Shed Shell.

Team Options needs to be buffed. Partners that appreciate physical attackers being taken on is not limited to the blobs + Clef. Add Primal Kyogre somewhere and mention how it can deal with Primal Groudon in conjunction with Skarmory and how it appreciates the hazard support in wearing down its checks. Talk more about why Tyranitar and Muk are great partners for Skarmory. Yes they can trap Gengar, but moreso that they discourage it from switching at all which gives Skarmory more leeway in spiking. There are several other reasons I might use them in a team with skarmory so flush out those as well.

Stealth Rock, Rocky Helmet, and Red Card can go in OO. SR can be used over Spikes if you want to free up a teammate to run a more offensive set, while Rocky Helmet lets you punish physical attackers and Red Card can work on more offensive teams that use Skarmory.

Remove Rapid Spin from C&C. Mega Lucario should be mentioned in a section. Move Taunt below Fire-types since it's not as common.
Implemented these changes. I also
1)prioritised Leftovers over Shed Shell cause the passive recovery allows Skarmory to counter Pokemon like Mega Salamence better. It also allows Skarmory to take even a +4 Shadow Claw from Ekiller.
2) Added a section " Strong Physical Threats" where i added Zekrom, Rayquaza and Mega Lucario. Placed below Fire-types in C&C

"Strong Physical Threats" is misleading since Skarmory's main purpose is to act as a physical wall. The physical attackers being strong isn't what allows them to break through Skarmory, but rather their type advantage. Rayquaza with Fire coverage can go in Fire-types. Mega Lucario should have its own section. You can add a section for electric-types and include Zekrom.

There needs to be more examples of partners that appreciate Skarmory switching into some of the most threatening physical attackers in the meta. Pokemon that are weak to priority or that are commonly setup bait are examples.

QC 1/3 once this has been fixed

ckw

Tired
"Strong Physical Threats" is misleading since Skarmory's main purpose is to act as a physical wall. The physical attackers being strong isn't what allows them to break through Skarmory, but rather their type advantage. Rayquaza with Fire coverage can go in Fire-types. Mega Lucario should have its own section. You can add a section for electric-types and include Zekrom.

There needs to be more examples of partners that appreciate Skarmory switching into some of the most threatening physical attackers in the meta. Pokemon that are weak to priority or that are commonly setup bait are examples.

QC 1/3 once this has been fixed
Implemented these changes. I couldn't that many examples of Pokemon that appreciates Skarm's ability to switch into physical attacks, decided to mention Ho-Oh in TO. Skarmory fits best in teams that are bulky and most Pokemon dont tend to be weak to priority moves such as Extreme Speed and i already mentioned sp def Pokemon that does.

If those were the only Pokemon that appreciated physical attackers dealt with then Mence and ekiller wouldn't be nearly as threatening as they are. Bulkier teams might be the preferred archetype when building with Skarmory but it certainly isn't the only option. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with more examples. Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, and Mega Gengar can all be listed in this bullet.

ckw

Tired
If those were the only Pokemon that appreciated physical attackers dealt with then Mence and ekiller wouldn't be nearly as threatening as they are. Bulkier teams might be the preferred archetype when building with Skarmory but it certainly isn't the only option. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with more examples. Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, and Mega Gengar can all be listed in this bullet.
Sorry, yeah i'll edit these in right away, was pretty late when i was replying to this.
E: Implented

Last edited:

Minority

Numquam Vincar
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
In the overview don't specifically mention a move that isn't slashed on the set. If its not even good enough to make the set, it certainly isn't worth highlighting in the overview. When I approach teambuilding, I find that Skarm faces competition primarily from defensive spikers (not too many of these) and the other Ground immune steels.

At minimum I would like to see 252 SpD invest mentioned in set details. QC may also discuss if having SpD invest will be main spread. In C&C you can probs list far more special attackers as examples (list the big ones obv). I would also put Mega Luke lower than Fire-types on the listing. Also consider that Skarm stalemates with several defensive Pokes that are either Tox immune or can get rid of Tox.

Add these things as this is:

QC: 2/3

ckw

Tired
In the overview don't specifically mention a move that isn't slashed on the set. If its not even good enough to make the set, it certainly isn't worth highlighting in the overview. When I approach teambuilding, I find that Skarm faces competition primarily from defensive spikers (not too many of these) and the other Ground immune steels.

At minimum I would like to see 252 SpD invest mentioned in set details. QC may also discuss if having SpD invest will be main spread. In C&C you can probs list far more special attackers as examples (list the big ones obv). I would also put Mega Luke lower than Fire-types on the listing. Also consider that Skarm stalemates with several defensive Pokes that are either Tox immune or can get rid of Tox.

Add these things as this is:

QC: 2/3
Implemented

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fuck I didn't notice this thread at all since I've just had the page loaded on Ekiller for the last few weeks, but I had a try of a suicide lead and I reckon it's kind of promising:

Skarmory @ Salac Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Whirlwind

It doesn't really beat other leads, but against teams without dedicated leads, you can easily set up either two layers of hazards or Taunt a slower SR user like Primal Groudon or Dialga. Skarm is fast enough to run a Salac set, as you can set up hazards repeatedly against Supportceus, and if they attack (eg Water) you, they'd put you into Salac range and you'd just Taunt them to stop them from Defogging. Unlike Deo-S however, you still have the choice to save this to check physical attackers like Mega Mence and Ekiller if you really find it necessary. The EVs are specific so you'd always take 75%+ from a support Waterceus, allowing to set up SR, activate Salac and Taunt to stop the Defog. This thing also comes with a minor benefit of coming into an Evopassed Krookodile and clutch phazing.

Sorry posting this super late.

ckw

Tired
Fuck I didn't notice this thread at all since I've just had the page loaded on Ekiller for the last few weeks, but I had a try of a suicide lead and I reckon it's kind of promising:

Skarmory @ Salac Berry
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Whirlwind

It doesn't really beat other leads, but against teams without dedicated leads, you can easily set up either two layers of hazards or Taunt a slower SR user like Primal Groudon or Dialga. Skarm is fast enough to run a Salac set, as you can set up hazards repeatedly against Supportceus, and if they attack (eg Water) you, they'd put you into Salac range and you'd just Taunt them to stop them from Defogging. Unlike Deo-S however, you still have the choice to save this to check physical attackers like Mega Mence and Ekiller if you really find it necessary. The EVs are specific so you'd always take 75%+ from a support Waterceus, allowing to set up SR, activate Salac and Taunt to stop the Defog. This thing also comes with a minor benefit of coming into an Evopassed Krookodile and clutch phazing.

This looks pretty interesting. I haven't yet sent this up for GP check yet. Dominatio Minority Fireburn, what do you guys think? Worthy of a set mention?

ckw

Tired

Skarmory @ Salac Berry
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Whirlwind

Talked to Nayrz about this.

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Couple things:
"opposing foe" is redundant in singles since your foe is always opposing.
Be careful when you use "it". If you mention anything other Pokemon, it's best to clarify any "it"s with the actual name.
There's nothing wrong with usage tips per say, but I feel like imperative sentences work better there.
1/1

add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

* Skarmory's access to support moves such as Spikes, Stealth Rock, Toxic, Whirlwind, and Taunt make it a good support Pokemon in the tier.
* Its Skarmory (Comment: at least for the first sentence of the overview, it makes sense to make the Pokemon itself the subject of the sentence. ) has a high Defense stat and stat, alongside its great defensive typing, allow allowing it to check common physical setup sweepers such as Extreme Killer Arceus, Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon lacking Fire-type coverage, and Mega Salamence. It's also capable of phazing threats and set up Spikes, which make it a good addition to stall teams. (Comment: Move this bullet first, without the last sentence. Then talk about its support movepool and transition into the last sentence (about phazing threats etc.). )
* However, Skarmory has very poor Special Defense and gets heavily damaged by even resisted hits from Special attackers like Xerneas.
* Skarmory also lacks any offensive presence and gets absolutely stopped by Taunt users and Pokemon with Magic Bounce Bounce, such as (Comment: consider mentioning a Taunt user here too ) Mega Sableye.
* Skarmory Faces faces competition as a defensive wall from bulky Pokemon such as Celesteela and from Spike setters like Ferrothorn and Klefki.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Very few Pokemon can function as a wall and set up entry hazards such as Spikes. This (Comment: Does "this" refer to just Spikes, or "function as a wall and ... Spikes"? Is it important to mention the wall bit here, or can that be relegated to usage tips? ) allows Skarmory to punish its checks whenever they are switched in and pairs rather well with Whirlwind.
* Toxic allows Skarmory to slowly worn wear down offensive threats it is normally checked by by, such as Primal Groudon.
* Whirlwind allows Skarmory to phaze out setup sweepers such as Mega Salamence, Extreme Killer Arceus, and Swords Dance Arceus-Ground. (Comment: and rack up hazard damage? )
* Roost is mandatory for Skarmory to function as a proper physically defensive wall.

Set Details
========

* The EV spread and a Bold nature maximize maximizes natural bulk and physical defense, which is boosted by a Bold nature and allows allowing (Comment: I feel like natural bulk shouldn't involve investment. 2nd, imo "allowing" over "and allows" is better when the reason Skarm can survive is because of the spread. ) Skarmory to avoid 2HKO from +4 Extreme Killer Arceus Shadow Claw as well as a 2HKO from +2 Mega Salamence Double from full heath. (Comment: Is there equal emphasis on EKiller and Mence? If so, use "and" over "as well as". )
* Leftovers gives Skarmory access to passive recovery that increases its longevity and that also lets it avoid being 2HKOed by +2 Mega Salamence and +4 Extreme Killer Arceus Shadow Claw.
* A more specially defensive EV spread with 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SPD SpD is also an option that prevents allows Skarmory from to prevent getting 2HKOed by support Arceus-formes in exchange of for lesser physically defensive bulk.
* Skarmory can also hold a Shed Shell to avoid getting trapped by Mega Gengar Gengar; since it Skarmory gets completely walled because Skarmory it doesn't usually carry any attacking moves. move.

Usage Tips
========

* Switch in Skarmory on Pokemon that it checks, namely Mega Salamence, Extreme Killer Arceus, and Arceus-Ground Arceus-Ground, and set up entry hazards such as Spikes.
* Take advantage of Skarmory's ability, Sturdy, in emergency situations to phaze out setup sweepers such as Xerneas, if required. Skarmory's ability Sturdy, can be taken advantage of during emergency situations to phaze out setup sweepers such as Xerneas if required.
* If Skarmory is not holding Shed Shell and the opponent has Mega Gengar, be cautious with Skarmory. When not holding a Shed Shell, Skarmory should be used cautiously if the opposing team has Mega Gengar. Predicting an opposing a switch to Gengar and switching to something that checks it, it can stop it from Mega Evolving, can stop it from Mega-evolving, which helps Skarmory in the long run.
* Switch Skarmory out when predicting an opposing Taunt, Skarmory can switch out when predicting an opposing Taunt, to a Pokemon that can check the foe. opposing foe (Comment: New bullet. ) and should avoid Avoid attempting to set up hazards when facing teams with Mega Sableye Sableye, since it completely walls Skarmory and can also bounce back Spikes.
* When the Pokemon Skarmory usually checks like Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus, attempt to setup on it, If they attempt to set up on Skarmory, phazing it them out with Whirlwind is the preferred action. move of choice. (Comment: Move this to the second bullet, right after you talk about the Pokemon Skarmory checks. )
* Going for Whirlwind or Toxic when predicting switches to its checks are good methods of annoying the opposing team, Go for Whirlwind or Toxic when predicting switches to Skarmory's checks to annoy the opposing team, especially on when Spikes or Stealth Rock are up on the opposing side.
* Take advantage of situations where Skarmory walls the opponent In a situation where Skarmory walls the opposing foe, it should take the advantage by setting up Spikes, spreading Toxic Toxic, and be annoying by phazing threats.
* Keep Skarmory's HP as high as possible Skarmory should keep its HP as high as possible with the aid of Roost so that it Skarmory can function as a proper wall.

Team Options
========

* Skarmory appreciates checks to threats such as Xerneas and Primal Kyogre, making Primal Groudon a reasonable partner. It can also run Stealth Rock Rock, which compliments Skarmory's ability to set up Spikes and phazing capability with Whirlwind.
* Primal Kyogre in conjunction with Skarmory is able to check Primal Groudon. It Primal Kyogre can be switched in on a predicted Fire-type move and threaten it Primal Groudon with Water STAB. Primal Kyogre also appreciates Spikes support from Skarmory to weaken checks to it such as Ferrothorn and Primal Groudon.
* Giratina-O also pairs well well, as it can check Primal Groudon and block Rapid Spin thanks to its Ghost typing. while its Ghost-typing allows it to block Rapid Spin. (Comment: "can check and can block"--this change makes the phrase structures match. ) Defensive Arceus-Ground can also check Primal Groudon as well as provide Defog support if required.
* Strong offensive Pokemon that appreciates Skarmory's ability to deal with physical threats such as Mega Gengar, Primal Groudon, and Ho-Oh (Comment: These are "strong offensive Pokemon" right? In that case move these examples after that phrase. ) are great teammates.
* Checks to Ho-Oh are required when using Skarmory, making Pokemon such as Arceus-Water, Arceus-Rock, and Tyranitar good teammates.
* Tyranitar, as well as Alolan Muk, (Comment: Is Alolan Muk worse than Ttar? If not, replace "as well as" with "and" and change "its" to "their". ) can also pair well with Skarmory due to its ability to scare off Mega Gengar and discourage it from switching entirely since it doesn't appreciate getting Pursuit-trapped, which allows Skarmory to freely set up Spikes without much fear of getting trapped if it's holding the Leftovers over Shed Shell. Both these Pokemon can trap and OHKO Pokemon that usually cause problems for stall teams such as Yveltal and Deoxys-A, making them excellent partners as Skarmory fits well in such teams as well. Tyranitar and Alolan Muk also pair well with Skarmory since they can provide Pursuit support. This discourages Gengar from coming in entirely, since it doesn't appreciate getting Pursuit trapped, which allows Leftovers variants of Skarmory to freely set up Spikes. Both can also trap Pokemon that cause trouble for stall teams, such as Deoxys-A. Furthermore, Tyranitar can OHKO Yveltal, another troubling Pokemon for stall teams.
* Specially Defensive Pokemon that appreciate Skarmory's ability to check physical threats like Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus, such as Blissey, Chansey, Clefable (Comment: more the examples right after "Specially Defensive Pokemon". ) are great partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Taunt can be run to shut down support Pokemon such as Lugia and Zygarde and also prevents and it also pairs well with Toxic, while also preventing Defog users from removing entry hazards. hazards as well. However, the Skarmory's standard set is more consistent as the usual Defog users outspeed Skarmory and can easily remove entry hazards.
* Running Stealth Rock over Spikes reliefs relieves teammates such as Primal Groudon from running Stealth Rock to use a more offensive set.
* Skarmory can hold Rocky Helmet to deal damage to Physical Attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus and Mega Salamence, though it Skarmory appreciates passive recovery from Leftovers more, as it allows Skarmory to wall physical threats efficiently.
* Defog is also a possible move, move of choice but it should only be run if absolutely required as the move doesn't go well with Spikes.
* Red Card can be used if Skarmory is being used as a lead on more offensive teams where it can force a random switch if hit with an attack.
* Counter is a decent move pick as well well, as it allows Skarmory to hit back physical threats such as Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus with something something. However, this but would only be very helpful if the opposing foe is at the last Pokemon in the team since, most of the time, these threats should be phazed out with Whirlwind.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye will wall Skarmory for the entirely entirety of any game as it does not have anything to hit back with and all the Spikes and Toxic will simply bounce off due to its great ability.

**Special Attackers*: Due to Skarmory's horrible Special Defense, it gets heavily weakened by Special Attackers such as Yveltal, Mewtwo, Deoxys-A, Lunala, Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre, and Arceus-formes that can deal neutral damage.

**Mega Gengar**: When not holding the Shed Shell, Mega Gengar can easily trap Skarmory and proceed to Taunt or KO it with multiple Shadow Ball. However, when not able to trap Skarmory, it may get Pursuit-trapped by either Alolan Muk or Tyranitar, which are great partners for Skarmory in this case.

**Fire-types**: Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, and Pokemon with Fire-type coverage can easily switch in against Skarmory can proceed to KO it with Sacred Fire and Fire Punch or Lava Plume respectively, while and Toxic doesn't affect Ho-Oh's ability to counter Skarmory thanks to Regenerator. However, Primal Groudon can be Toxic-ed on the switch and get played around if it lacks Fire-type coverage.

**Mega Lucario**: Mega Lucario can easily setup on Skarmory if it's the last Pokemon of the opposing team and proceed to sweep. It can also switch into Skarmory to deal heavy damage with Close Combat. Combat and is required to be checked by Skarmory's teammates. Probably need to mention Mega Lucario answers in Team Options then.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Deoxys-S and Yveltal can completely shut down Skarmory. Deoxys-S can stop Skarmory from setting up Spikes and proceed to set up its own entry hazard, while and Yveltal can easily beat Skarmory since it has no method of hitting Yveltal for damage.

**Pokemon Immune to Toxic**: Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Toxapex, and Celesteela can cause stalemates between Skarmory as they are immune to Toxic and can face Skarmory one-on-one. Ferrothorn and Celesteela can use Leech Seed, while the former can setup entry hazards hazards, and Toxapex can set up Toxic Spikes. Spikes on it.

Last edited:

ckw

Tired
Couple things:
"opposing foe" is redundant in singles since your foe is always opposing.
Be careful when you use "it". If you mention anything other Pokemon, it's best to clarify any "it"s with the actual name.
There's nothing wrong with usage tips per say, but I feel like imperative sentences work better there.
1/1

add remove comments
[OVERVIEW]

* Skarmory's access to support moves such as Spikes, Stealth Rock, Toxic, Whirlwind, and Taunt make it a good support Pokemon in the tier.
* Its Skarmory (Comment: at least for the first sentence of the overview, it makes sense to make the Pokemon itself the subject of the sentence. ) has a high Defense stat and stat, alongside its great defensive typing, allow allowing it to check common physical setup sweepers such as Extreme Killer Arceus, Arceus-Ground, Primal Groudon lacking Fire-type coverage, and Mega Salamence. It's also capable of phazing threats and set up Spikes, which make it a good addition to stall teams. (Comment: Move this bullet first, without the last sentence. Then talk about its support movepool and transition into the last sentence (about phazing threats etc.). )
* Skarmory also lacks any offensive presence and gets absolutely stopped by Taunt users and Pokemon with Magic Bounce Bounce, such as (Comment: consider mentioning a Taunt user here too ) Mega Sableye.
* Skarmory Faces faces competition as a defensive wall from bulky Pokemon such as Celesteela and from Spike setters like Ferrothorn and Klefki.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

* Very few Pokemon can function as a wall and set up entry hazards such as Spikes. This (Comment: Does "this" refer to just Spikes, or "function as a wall and ... Spikes"? Is it important to mention the wall bit here, or can that be relegated to usage tips? ) allows Skarmory to punish its checks whenever they are switched in and pairs rather well with Whirlwind.
* Toxic allows Skarmory to slowly worn wear down offensive threats it is normally checked by by, such as Primal Groudon.
* Whirlwind allows Skarmory to phaze out setup sweepers such as Mega Salamence, Extreme Killer Arceus, and Swords Dance Arceus-Ground. (Comment: and rack up hazard damage? )

Set Details
========

* The EV spread and a Bold nature maximize maximizes natural bulk and physical defense, which is boosted by a Bold nature and allows allowing (Comment: I feel like natural bulk shouldn't involve investment. 2nd, imo "allowing" over "and allows" is better when the reason Skarm can survive is because of the spread. ) Skarmory to avoid 2HKO from +4 Extreme Killer Arceus Shadow Claw as well as a 2HKO from +2 Mega Salamence Double from full heath. (Comment: Is there equal emphasis on EKiller and Mence? If so, use "and" over "as well as". )
* Leftovers gives Skarmory access to passive recovery that increases its longevity and that also lets it avoid being 2HKOed by +2 Mega Salamence and +4 Extreme Killer Arceus Shadow Claw.
* A more specially defensive EV spread with 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SPD SpD is also an option that prevents allows Skarmory from to prevent getting 2HKOed by support Arceus-formes in exchange of for lesser physically defensive bulk.
* Skarmory can also hold a Shed Shell to avoid getting trapped by Mega Gengar Gengar; since it Skarmory gets completely walled because Skarmory it doesn't usually carry any attacking moves. move.

Usage Tips
========

* Switch in Skarmory on Pokemon that it checks, namely Mega Salamence, Extreme Killer Arceus, and Arceus-Ground Arceus-Ground, and set up entry hazards such as Spikes.
* Take advantage of Skarmory's ability, Sturdy, in emergency situations to phaze out setup sweepers such as Xerneas, if required. Skarmory's ability Sturdy, can be taken advantage of during emergency situations to phaze out setup sweepers such as Xerneas if required.
* If Skarmory is not holding Shed Shell and the opponent has Mega Gengar, be cautious with Skarmory. When not holding a Shed Shell, Skarmory should be used cautiously if the opposing team has Mega Gengar. Predicting an opposing a switch to Gengar and switching to something that checks it, it can stop it from Mega Evolving, can stop it from Mega-evolving, which helps Skarmory in the long run.
* Switch Skarmory out when predicting an opposing Taunt, Skarmory can switch out when predicting an opposing Taunt, to a Pokemon that can check the foe. opposing foe (Comment: New bullet. ) and should avoid Avoid attempting to set up hazards when facing teams with Mega Sableye Sableye, since it completely walls Skarmory and can also bounce back Spikes.
* When the Pokemon Skarmory usually checks like Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus, attempt to setup on it, If they attempt to set up on Skarmory, phazing it them out with Whirlwind is the preferred action. move of choice. (Comment: Move this to the second bullet, right after you talk about the Pokemon Skarmory checks. )
* Going for Whirlwind or Toxic when predicting switches to its checks are good methods of annoying the opposing team, Go for Whirlwind or Toxic when predicting switches to Skarmory's checks to annoy the opposing team, especially on when Spikes or Stealth Rock are up on the opposing side.
* Take advantage of situations where Skarmory walls the opponent In a situation where Skarmory walls the opposing foe, it should take the advantage by setting up Spikes, spreading Toxic Toxic, and be annoying by phazing threats.
* Keep Skarmory's HP as high as possible Skarmory should keep its HP as high as possible with the aid of Roost so that it Skarmory can function as a proper wall.

Team Options
========

* Skarmory appreciates checks to threats such as Xerneas and Primal Kyogre, making Primal Groudon a reasonable partner. It can also run Stealth Rock Rock, which compliments Skarmory's ability to set up Spikes and phazing capability with Whirlwind.
* Primal Kyogre in conjunction with Skarmory is able to check Primal Groudon. It Primal Kyogre can be switched in on a predicted Fire-type move and threaten it Primal Groudon with Water STAB. Primal Kyogre also appreciates Spikes support from Skarmory to weaken checks to it such as Ferrothorn and Primal Groudon.
* Giratina-O also pairs well well, as it can check Primal Groudon and block Rapid Spin thanks to its Ghost typing. while its Ghost-typing allows it to block Rapid Spin. (Comment: "can check and can block"--this change makes the phrase structures match. ) Defensive Arceus-Ground can also check Primal Groudon as well as provide Defog support if required.
* Strong offensive Pokemon that appreciates Skarmory's ability to deal with physical threats such as Mega Gengar, Primal Groudon, and Ho-Oh (Comment: These are "strong offensive Pokemon" right? In that case move these examples after that phrase. ) are great teammates.
* Tyranitar, as well as Alolan Muk, (Comment: Is Alolan Muk worse than Ttar? If not, replace "as well as" with "and" and change "its" to "their". ) can also pair well with Skarmory due to its ability to scare off Mega Gengar and discourage it from switching entirely since it doesn't appreciate getting Pursuit-trapped, which allows Skarmory to freely set up Spikes without much fear of getting trapped if it's holding the Leftovers over Shed Shell. Both these Pokemon can trap and OHKO Pokemon that usually cause problems for stall teams such as Yveltal and Deoxys-A, making them excellent partners as Skarmory fits well in such teams as well. Tyranitar and Alolan Muk also pair well with Skarmory since they can provide Pursuit support. This discourages Gengar from coming in entirely, since it doesn't appreciate getting Pursuit trapped, which allows Leftovers variants of Skarmory to freely set up Spikes. Both can also trap Pokemon that cause trouble for stall teams, such as Deoxys-A. Furthermore, Tyranitar can OHKO Yveltal, another troubling Pokemon for stall teams.
* Specially Defensive Pokemon that appreciate Skarmory's ability to check physical threats like Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus, such as Blissey, Chansey, Clefable (Comment: more the examples right after "Specially Defensive Pokemon". ) are great partners.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

* Taunt can be run to shut down support Pokemon such as Lugia and Zygarde and also prevents and it also pairs well with Toxic, while also preventing Defog users from removing entry hazards. hazards as well. However, the Skarmory's standard set is more consistent as the usual Defog users outspeed Skarmory and can easily remove entry hazards.
* Running Stealth Rock over Spikes reliefs relieves teammates such as Primal Groudon from running Stealth Rock to use a more offensive set.
* Skarmory can hold Rocky Helmet to deal damage to Physical Attackers such as Extreme Killer Arceus and Mega Salamence, though it Skarmory appreciates passive recovery from Leftovers more, as it allows Skarmory to wall physical threats efficiently.
* Defog is also a possible move, move of choice but it should only be run if absolutely required as the move doesn't go well with Spikes.
* Counter is a decent move pick as well well, as it allows Skarmory to hit back physical threats such as Mega Salamence and Extreme Killer Arceus with something something. However, this but would only be very helpful if the opposing foe is at the last Pokemon in the team since, most of the time, these threats should be phazed out with Whirlwind.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Mega Sableye**: Mega Sableye will wall Skarmory for the entirely entirety of any game as it does not have anything to hit back with and all the Spikes and Toxic will simply bounce off due to its great ability.

**Fire-types**: Pokemon such as Ho-Oh, Primal Groudon, and Pokemon with Fire-type coverage can easily switch in against Skarmory can proceed to KO it with Sacred Fire and Fire Punch or Lava Plume respectively, while and Toxic doesn't affect Ho-Oh's ability to counter Skarmory thanks to Regenerator. However, Primal Groudon can be Toxic-ed on the switch and get played around if it lacks Fire-type coverage.

**Mega Lucario**: Mega Lucario can easily setup on Skarmory if it's the last Pokemon of the opposing team and proceed to sweep. It can also switch into Skarmory to deal heavy damage with Close Combat. Combat and is required to be checked by Skarmory's teammates. Probably need to mention Mega Lucario answers in Team Options then.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Deoxys-S and Yveltal can completely shut down Skarmory. Deoxys-S can stop Skarmory from setting up Spikes and proceed to set up its own entry hazard, while and Yveltal can easily beat Skarmory since it has no method of hitting Yveltal for damage.

**Pokemon Immune to Toxic**: Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Toxapex, and Celesteela can cause stalemates between Skarmory as they are immune to Toxic and can face Skarmory one-on-one. Ferrothorn and Celesteela can use Leech Seed, while the former can setup entry hazards hazards, and Toxapex can set up Toxic Spikes. Spikes on it.
Thanks a lot for the tips man!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)