Sludge Wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azure Demon

Sludge wave sounds like a move that would hit multiple pokemon if used in say a double or triple battle opposed to sludge bomb hitting just one not to mention sludge bomb has a 30% poison rate

could be a sweet new move for gengar. it would be monstrously powerful on it, and since it gets perfect neutral coverage with just shadow ball/focus blast, it could run sludge wave as a third attacking move for more damage on neutral targets.

I'm going to use it regardless because, quite frankly, I find the prospect of crushing my opponent under a massive wave of sewage absolutely titillating.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
It's like Discharge or Lava Plume. They have their place, especially in doubles. I'm glad for a new option.

Ummm the poison chance difference nor the BP difference seem very big to me... I mean, you don't always want to inflict your enemies with poison anyway, especially if you got other, better statuses you want to put on them.

Ultimately the differences between them outside of battles other than single don't seem too be that great... the choice of which you choose would ultimately come down to whether poison would help you more or hurt you.

so one has a 30% poison rate and one has a 10% poison rate? That's a REALLY small difference, especially when you consider that Posion stops burn, it's not toxic poison, and the power difference is minimal, it could even be better to have the lower poison rate.
Yer acting as if you never have heard of Discharge or Lava Plume...

Tentacruel is about the only thing to viably run a Poison move in OU and that would prefer the 30% Poison on tanks like Vaporeon or Swampert.

Sludge Wave seems viable in doubles and triples of course.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Nidoking yet.

He's one of the few Pokemon that Poison moves are viable on (due to his amazing coverage and ability). Sad part is that some people still don't know this move exists, even this far in. I'm still seeing a Sludge Bomb Tentacruel or Nidoking every so often.

Also, the userpool is a bit weird. Pity Gengar doesn't get it.

Yes, Nidoking is the only plausible option for Sludge Wave (on singles).
A 95 BP move boosted by Sheer Force is very good; too bad it doesn't have a place on it's movepool (unless you twist it for a bit. Something like Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/Earth Power/Slugde Wave could work).

Personally, I find it as a better option over flamethrower on nidoking, because you only lose neutral coverage on shedinja, and it hits a bunch of switch-ins expecting earth power hard. (Earth Power/Sludge Wave/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt)

sludge wave is fine on nidoking with stab and sheer force boosting it and stab sheer force earth power and sheer force flamethrower covering everything that resists or is immune to it.

Personally, I find it as a better option over flamethrower on nidoking, because you only lose neutral coverage on shedinja, and it hits a bunch of switch-ins expecting earth power hard. (Earth Power/Sludge Wave/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt)
Have fun with Ferrothorn, matey. Put Flamethrower over Thunderbolt..

Toxic damage only does more damage than poison after the 4th turn everyone stays in. Just so you know. So poison does have its merits, IMO

@ Rackham
I'm using Nidoking in UU...
Sheer force gave it a huge boost, but not really enough to compete in OU.
Guess I should've put that in my post, sorry.

Am not sure if I really want to stress myself over the Battle Subway to get the TM for this. So til then, will use Tentacool to breed it around and have the move for Smeargle to Sketch at some point.

Nidoking? Why not Nidoqueen?

Nidoking? Why not Nidoqueen?
Nidoking has higher offensive stats, and is more suited to an offensive role. Nidoqueen usually goes defense/utility, and shouldn't be wasting its one of its few remaining moveslots on an attack with such terrible coverage (seriously? 4 resists, 1 immunity, and only 1 super-effective hit? game freak hates poison)

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm only posting in this one to tell everyone that (Move) threads, at this point, are useless. We can't have a discussion on pokemon in a (Move) thread, an (Ability) thread, and a (Pokemon) thread. Because of this every time a (Move) thread is bumped it most likely will be locked and the last post will be deleted, to remove forum clutter.

Also Nidoking rocks face

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)