Resource SM OU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to nom Charizard Y for A rank.

Many poeple are spamming steel types right now and Charizard Y loves that. So many pokemon struggle against this thing as well its unreal most of the top tiers hate the sun on Charizard Y.
Charizard Y has the advantage of "manual weather" and being able to attack in the same turn. This can make it a good lead or revenge killer. You may only get 5 turns of sun, but stalling a weather-dependent team's momentum in one move is worth it. Since I'm often the guy on the wrong side of the screen from Charizard Y (i.e. a Pelipper user), I should know a little about its power. :)

The bluffing tactic of "Is it Charizard X or Y?" can still work to your advantage in Sun/Moon, because I see Charizard X on the ladder occasionally. Of course, if you have a suspiciously high amount of Grass types on your team, that will give you away quickly.

(Granted, it's not Smogon OU, but I often see random Pokemon carrying weather moves in the Battle Tree specifically to mess with auto-weather teams.)

Last edited:
180 Atk Celesteela Heavy Slam (120 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Nidoking: 102-120 (64.9 - 76.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 144-169 (91.7 - 107.6%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Nidoking beats these mons better than Greninja? To my knowledge most people run ice beam/thunderbolt and not flamethrower on Nidoking. Greninja's hp fire hits just as hard nidokings flamethrower so I mean... Greninja just beats nidoking in almost every area but defensive utility but shenanigans can still be made with protean. Nidoking is fine where it is.
Regarding Magnezone, Specs Magnezone is OHKO'd by Nidoking, and can only sometimes OHKO it with Flash Canon, but Nidoking always OHKOs magnezone, and Nido outspeeds, so the only situation specs Magnezone beats Nidoking is if you switch Nidoking in on a Flash Canon. Ditto for Scarfed Magnezone.

Celesteela beats Nidoking only if there are no rocks up, and even without rocks Nidoking has a chance to 2HKO before Celesteela can get it.

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I'm not sure why Greninja and Nidoking are being compared, and I don't really wanna look back to find the reasoning behind it. It's a bad comparison because they don't have similar enough roles on a team.

I'd be fine with Nidoking in B- just because it threatens a lot of common balance / bulky offense 'mons like Ferro, Skarm, bulky Lando, Heatran, etc. Its biggest issues in ORAS were its speed (still a problem) and fat water types. These days, many relevant fat waters like Tapu Fini and Toxapex have a secondary typing which make them weak to Nidoking. Granted, Dugtrio is also better this gen but Nidoking can definitely be an issue to switch into. I don't think it's as bad as Alolan Muk or Hippowdon

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Nidoking's niche is being able to switch into Koko and immediately threaten balance builds, especially those involving FWG cores. Greninja doesn't switch in on Tapu Koko, is frailer, and gets worn down by LO recoil. They're not comparable and while Nidoking's niche is indeed smaller, Greninja certainly doesn't invalidate it.

bludz said:
I'm not sure why Greninja and Nidoking are being compared, and I don't really wanna look back to find the reasoning behind it. It's a bad comparison because they don't have similar enough roles on a team.
Exactly, you can't compare them. Apples and oranges, people.

Exactly, you can't compare them. Apples and oranges, people.
Well, actually you can compare apple and oranges. Color, mean size, vitamins... Just sayin', many ways to compare apples and oranges ;)

Still, a C+ Nidoking doesn't bother me at all. In terms of options and usability it's definitely the right ranking.
Friendly reminder :
C : Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely eclipsed by a Pokemon in the above ranks.
And that's Nidoking. Needs the right support, is effective but inconsistent given the meta (has psychic spam been more popular than in SM except RBY?), can't compete with higher rank mons.

EDIT : About the description, i was kinda shitposting, of course Nido can also fit in B according to them. But still, powerful Fairies brought Steel everywhere and then EQ everywhere too because of this ; add the bad speed and it's almost already enough to explain the C+. It's not easy to fit Nido in a team that really takes advantage of the metagame.

Last edited:
Well, actually you can compare apple and oranges. Color, mean size, vitamins... Just sayin', many ways to compare apples and oranges ;)

Still, a C+ Nidoking doesn't bother me at all. In terms of options and usability it's definitely the right ranking.
Friendly reminder :
C : Reserved for Pokemon who can be effective given the right support, but either have crippling flaws that prevent them from consistently executing their strategy or are completely eclipsed by a Pokemon in the above ranks.
And that's Nidoking. Needs the right support, is effective but inconsistent given the meta (has psychic spam been more popular than in SM except RBY?), can't compete with higher rank mons.
For me, he is a solid B ranked pokemon:
"B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outperformed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category."

Nidoking can take out most of the top tier fairy pokemon, and significantly threaten the steel mons that might want to switch in on his sludge wave with flamethrower or earth power. Other pokemon can do some of the things it does (as has been pointed out, some of this role is fulfilled by Greninja, but Greninja is also weak to Tapu Koko and Pheromosa [who Nidoking deals with well], and is far less consistent than Nidoking against steel types). But as an overall package, Nidoking fills a useful niche in the tier as being able to do both these things, while also threatening other top tier threats (Landorus T, Pherosema, etc.). It is a hard pokemon to switch in on, and has excellent coverage, and actually does not need much support at all; rather it can compliment teams that struggle with fairies, and also takes out most of the mons that would otherwise switch into anti-fairy pokemon.

That said, he is usually limited to one or two KOs per battle (but can get these consistently), as Nidoking can be out sped, so cannot sweep through/wall a significant portion of the metagame.

Thus he both fills a niche without needing much (if any) support (so not C rank), without being good enough to dominate the tier/sweep like an A rank (or better) pokemon. So I would still argue it is a solid B rank, though would concede a B- if that is less controversial.

Last edited:
For me, he is a solid B ranked pokemon:
"B Rank: Reserved for Pokemon who cannot sweep through or wall significant portions of the metagame, but can properly fulfill a given offensive/defensive niche. Support Pokemon in this category have flaws that prevent them from doing their job or are setup bait for dangerous sweepers. Pokemon who are partially outperformed by a Pokemon in A or S Rank, but are otherwise very dangerous, may also fall into this category."

Nidoking can take out most of the top tier fairy pokemon, and significantly threaten the steel mons that might want to switch in on his sludge wave with flamethrower or earth power. Other pokemon can do some of the things it does (as has been pointed out, some of this role is fulfilled by Greninja, but Greninja is also weak to Tapu Koko and Pheromosa [who Nidoking deals with well], and is far less consistent than Nidoking against steel types). But as an overall package, Nidoking fills a useful niche in the tier as being able to do both these things, while also threatening other top tier threats (Landorus T, Pherosema, etc.). It is a hard pokemon to switch in on, and has excellent coverage, and actually does not need much support at all; rather it can compliment teams that struggle with fairies, and also takes out most of the mons that would otherwise switch into anti-fairy pokemon.

That said, he is usually limited to one or two KOs per battle (but can get these consistently), as Nidoking can be outside, so cannot sweep through/wall a significant portion of the metagame.

Thus he both fills a niche without needing much (if any) support (so not C rank), without being good enough to dominate the tier/sweep like an A rank (or better) pokemon. So I would still argue it is a solid B rank, though would concede a B- if that is less controversial.

This is a shit argument. There is no label for the tiers... the labels were removed a long time ago for this exact reason. Throwing definitions at people is not going to get you anywhere. Its as simple as if a mon is good enough it will be in that rank. There is no criteria for a rank. I think personally that Nidoking just doesn't cut it to make it to into the B's. And in all honest Nidoking does not even really fit that criteria...

This is a shit argument. There is no label for the tiers... the labels were removed a long time ago for this exact reason. Throwing definitions at people is not going to get you anywhere. Its as simple as if a mon is good enough it will be in that rank. There is no criteria for a rank. I think personally that Nidoking just doesn't cut it to make it to into the B's. And in all honest Nidoking does not even really fit that criteria...
No need to get so rude, I was simply responding to one definition with another.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Rank descriptions are bad reasoning in general; they are just catch-all things and they were removed last gen 'cause people kept using them as the entire basis for their arguments, and the fact of the matter is that a) they are vague, b) they are even more subjective than the letters are and c) they don't help your argument at all. I have no opinion on whether Nido should rise or not, but jesus stop just posting rank definitions whether it is an argument or a rebuttal of an argument lmao

Rank descriptions are bad reasoning in general; they are just catch-all things and they were removed last gen 'cause people kept using them as the entire basis for their arguments, and the fact of the matter is that a) they are vague, b) they are even more subjective than the letters are and c) they don't help your argument at all. I have no opinion on whether Nido should rise or not, but jesus stop just posting rank definitions whether it is an argument or a rebuttal of an argument lmao
They only came up in the last two posts of the discussion, so were only of little importance.

Why are Cofagrigus and Smeargle ranked? It would be nice if you could give me sets of them because I never saw them in S/M

Why are Cofagrigus and Smeargle ranked? It would be nice if you could give me sets of them because I never saw them in S/M
I would guess smeargle is ranked for it's spore/sticky web lead set, and cofag for trick room.

btw this might get deleted/moved to SQSA

The aggression is real.

Tiers shouldn't be taken into consideration. OU stands for OverUsed, not OverPowerful. The ranks/tiers are just used to get a semi-accurate grasp on which Pokemon that are used the most.

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
I'm gonna go out on a limb and nominate Zygarde 50% -> A+ Rank.

Basically, this meta has been trending towards a very heavily divided meta, between very bulky builds and very frail builds. Fortunately, Zygarde can do well against either of these types of builds. Zygarde's Coil set is a headache for any bulky team, as well as any offense team. Most offense teams do not really run a ground resist, preferring to run pokemon like Landorus T and Rotom Wash. The only really common ground resists on offense are Bulu, Buzzwole, and Pheromosa, and the rarer Serperior and Tangrowth. Out of all of these, Phero can't switch in to a hit, and can't attempt to revenge kill when Zygarde has its sub (and also hates Extreme Speed) , and the rest do not like the risk of getting hit by a Toxic. Zygarde is also decently hard to really kill right now. Specially defensive Zygarde takes on most special attackers in the meta, besides Lele, Protean Gren, and Pheromosa. People generally just toss Lando T on teams and hope he deals with other grounds, while Zygarde can tank hits easily, and set up on non HP ice variants easily (even HP ice ones can be set up on if you make a good prediction, and HP ice does jack). Zygarde is pretty easy to support, since every team is now stacking hazards to attempt to break stall or wear down offense. It is just super solid rn.

I would guess smeargle is ranked for it's spore/sticky web lead set, and cofag for trick room.

btw this might get deleted/moved to SQSA

I see Smeargle sometimes while either playing or spectating on the ladder. It's mostly there for Sticky Web, like you suggested. Sometimes it has Nuzzle to paralyze opponents that it can't Spore.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and nominate Zygarde 50% -> A+ Rank.

Basically, this meta has been trending towards a very heavily divided meta, between very bulky builds and very frail builds. Fortunately, Zygarde can do well against either of these types of builds. Zygarde's Coil set is a headache for any bulky team, as well as any offense team. Most offense teams do not really run a ground resist, preferring to run pokemon like Landorus T and Rotom Wash. The only really common ground resists on offense are Bulu, Buzzwole, and Pheromosa, and the rarer Serperior and Tangrowth. Out of all of these, Phero can't switch in to a hit, and can't attempt to revenge kill when Zygarde has its sub (and also hates Extreme Speed) , and the rest do not like the risk of getting hit by a Toxic. Zygarde is also decently hard to really kill right now. Specially defensive Zygarde takes on most special attackers in the meta, besides Lele, Protean Gren, and Pheromosa. People generally just toss Lando T on teams and hope he deals with other grounds, while Zygarde can tank hits easily, and set up on non HP ice variants easily (even HP ice ones can be set up on if you make a good prediction, and HP ice does jack). Zygarde is pretty easy to support, since every team is now stacking hazards to attempt to break stall or wear down offense. It is just super solid rn.
I'm gonna have to disagree with what you're trying to say here. Sure, most heavily offensive teams don't carry any Ground resists which can take a hit. However, offensive teams aren't built for their defensive synergy. They don't need to have something which can take a hit from Zygarde as long as they have a mon which can come in if it gets a free switch and revenge kill it. That's pretty easy considering almost every decent offensive team has at least one, if not multiple Pokemon carrying Ice type coverage. Even specially defensive Zygarde gets OHKOed by Protean Greninja and LO Ash-Greninja after transformation. It also gets 2HKOed by Ice Beam Pheromosa and Moonblast Tapu Lele. Its 4x weakness to HP Ice is a real hit to its viability since it means that frail Electric types such as Tapu Koko and Xurkitree which it should on paper be able to just switch in on and fire off a Thousand Arrows against can 2HKO it on the switch. Sure, it has Extreme Speed which would theoretically deal with faster threats, but Zygarde's attack is so low when uninvested that it only has a 20% chance to OHKO Pheromosa at +2. Also, the comment you made about people just putting Lando on teams as their sole check to opposing Ground types is just incorrect. No good team would use it as the only way to beat Grounds. It loses to not just Zygarde, but a number of other Ground types, such as Gliscor, Swampert, Mamoswine and opposing Landorus-T. Speaking of Mamoswine, it's yet another thing which is common on offense which is capable of beating Zygarde. Even Ice Shard from it can OHKO after a bit of chip damage, allowing it to take care of DD sets as well.

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
VR UPDATE

A+ ---> S
A+ ---> A
A ---> B+
B+ ---> A-
B+ ---> A-
A- ---> B+
B- ---> B
A- ---> B+
B+ ---> B

Okay so a few controversial updates here. Greninja shouldn't be much of a surprise though. While Ash Gren is still very good, Greninja has once again proved itself one of the most dangerous offensive Pokemon in the tier, with a myriad of coverage options that makes it very difficult to reliably check or scout. So many teams are over prepared for Ash Gren, which only makes Protean that much more dangerous due to most of them losing to its coverage, Fini and Amoonguss in particular. It glues so many offensive teams together, and its coverage moves can easily be customizable to fit your team. Because of its lack of switch-ins, versatility, and its ability to pressure practically any team lacking Chansey, Greninja is easily one of the best Pokemon in the tier and deserves to be alongside the others in S. Heatran is a fantastic offensive and defensive Pokemon, but its Bloom Doom set is definitely a lot more prepared for in the current meta, as people are no longer blindly switching in their Finis into it, and the meta has responded with the influx in Zygarde as well as Garchomp. Dugtrio also completely invalidates its ability to stallbreak, because as long as it's around, there is no way Heatran can safely stay in for too long on anything. Dangerous and effective, but not A+. The Dugtrio rise should be of absolutely no surprise and everyone seemed to be in agreement on here.

Mega Scizor..... oh boy. I know a lot of people are going to be very angry at this aggressive decision, but we decided that there was no reason to give it extra time. Tressed made a very good post about how much the meta is against Scizor right now, but even putting in A- is a slap in the face to other megas there such as Zam, Zard-Y, and Pinsir which require support but are downright threatening, have the ability to do a lot of work. Mega Scizor just does not accomplish much at all in the current meta outside of one thing and one thing only; checking Mega Metagross, unless they run Magnezone, then you just lose anyway. There is no mon in this entire tier that can check Mega Meta as well as Mega Scizor, but unless you are packing Pursuit, you aren't really accomplishing much, and just risk being set up fodder for Volcarona, Zard-X, and SD Lando-T, or just allowing a plethora of other Pokemon to come in on your obvious Roost, like Magnezone coming in and trapping you. The sheer prominence of Lele stopping it cold and Celesteela walling it to hell and back keeps Mega Scizor from ever finding an opportunity to sweep, and both of those Pokemon are found on a wide range of playstyles, while stall has Skarmory. Other stuff that Scizor "checks" such as Tapu Bulu, have started running SD Z Superpower, which just blows it out of the water, and Mega Zam commonly is seen with HP Fire now too. It's too passive without SD, and with SD, it's walled by everything. Pick your poison. Despite how much usage this Pokemon is still getting on the ladder, it's not a very good mon at all, and the rankings needs to reflect that. Besides, its usage will still be decently high as long as Meta exists.

Keldeo is rising because it's very underrated and a lot of the Pokemon in the meta that can switch into it bar Toxapex, are all worn down very easily. Fini takes quite a bit from Specs Hydro or Sword, and with its lack of recovery, it can't keep reliably switching into it constantly, so pairing it with something to overload it will usually allow Keldeo to easily spam Hydro or Scald late game. Scarf is also a decently solid set, as it has been seeing some usage in SPL as a form of speed control to threaten weakened offensive Pokemon such as Tapu Koko, Mega Meta, or Ash Greninja. Weavile is dropping because it's not that much better than Mamoswine in the current metagame, and it makes more sense to drop it then raise Mamo to B+, at least for now. Excadrill is a very uncommon site for obvious reasons; Speed tier and inability to consistently check what it's intended to check, while Sand Rush set is just not as threatening as it used to be because of Celesteela, Grassy Terrain, and the prominence of bulky Grasses. Also while it can set up SR against stall, it just gets trapped by Duggy anyway. Zygarde Dog has fallen way out of favor for its fatter counterpart, and its Speed tier is not worth it as much anymore.

Please don't hurt me.

Last edited:
defog scizor is the best set. and its not passive it has u-turn!!

being the best metagross counter by far, as well as the inherently super strong priority and also being capable of defogging is not a niche worth simply overlooking. Scizor has been labeled as bad this generation but I don't quite understand it. P much checks/counters (non-CB) any physical pheromosa and its like a universal check to almost all physical attackers and is able to pick off most sweepers in the tier. tapu fini imo is super flawed and I hate using it, and scizor is one of the only viable alternative hazard removal options in the tier. I think people don't quite understand that scizor's role has changed from ORAS to SM, and its certainly not as good, but it definitely has a unique role in the metagame imo.

btw for reference to anything I said the spread i've been using is max HP and defense impish defog u-turn. I can show tournament replays of scizor being good if any1 actually cares lol

Last edited:
I actually agree with the Mega Scizor drop. Defensive sets are just dead weight (good for Knock Off spam and getting momentum with U-Turn and checking Megagross, but that takes up a whole Mega slot), and Offensive sets are just pressured by so much and walled by tons of common stuff (Celesteela/Toxapex).

Also, dunno if anyone cares about really low-ranked mons, but I think that Mandibuzz deserves to go to C+. PhysDef Buzz walls Mega Metagross (even with Rocks up, if it doesn't go for Ice Punch on the switch), while also checking/countering Zard X, Garchomp, non-Thunderbolt Hoopa-U, Mega Alakazam, Alolan Marowak, Mega Pinsir, Supersonic Skytrike Mence, SD Scolipede, and most physical threats really well.

Honestly that might be better than Offensive Mega Scizor right now. Of course, you can't touch Skarm...or Ferro...or Heatran. Never mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That being said, Keldeo has a lot to do with its moderate SPL usage. Furthermore, some of its checks such as Tapu Fini are rather easier to wear down. Specs Keldeo is still a pretty big threat and, while things like Tapu Bulu exists, coverage moves can help clear that. Furthermore, some of its checks and counters are harder to splash onto teams. Toxapex is generally accepted only on stall teams (I guess you could argue Toxapex could work on bulky offense, but either way it's not on offensive teams). Scarf Keldeo is also not too bad in this meta since it can still check some of the faster threats such as +1 Salamence and the like.

Honestly Specs feels underrated in this meta, but I think a lot of it has to do that some teams are still not getting the picture that they need a real Grass-type as a Water resist to help them out. I've noticed, especially in the structured team building with the Hoopa-U and Magearna, that some refuse to really go for a Grass-type to help with this.

In spite of this Keldeo is still a pretty solid Pokemon. It definitely was brushed under due to new toy syndrome and it isn't as strong anymore, but it's still a solid threat when its checks are worn out.

being the best metagross counter by far, as well as the inherently super strong priority and also being capable of defogging is not a niche worth simply overlooking. Scizor has been labeled as bad this generation but I don't quite understand it. P much checks/counters (non-CB) any physical pheromosa and its like a universal check to almost all physical attackers and is able to pick off most sweepers in the tier. tapu fini imo is super flawed and I hate using it, and scizor is one of the only viable alternative hazard removal options in the tier. I think people don't quite understand that scizor's role has changed from ORAS to SM, and its certainly not as good, but it definitely has a unique role in the metagame imo.

btw for reference to anything I said the spread i've been using is max HP and defense impish defog u-turn. I can show tournament replays of scizor being good if any1 actually cares lol
Defog Scizor is pretty horrendous when you consider that it lacks a lot of qualities that better Defog users have. For starters: Defog Tapu Fini almost outclasses Mega Scizor outside of having recovery (which is a fair nick against Fini). Fini still offers a lot more support outside of Defog and can at least either stop or pressure entry hazard users with Taunt and Scald. There's also Misty Terrain which helps support the team from status.

Skarmory is still a very good Defog user too. Skarmory is passive, but it offers Spikes and an option to phaze out opponents (which also means potentially chipping new switch-ins with Spikes too).

Finally there's Zapdos. Zapdos doesn't do too bad at pressuring entry hazard users with STAB Thunderbolt while keeping the opponent guessing of Hidden Power Ice or Heat Wave.

Scizor, meanwhile, can Defog, but it's extremely passive and basically just creates a "null" situation where it clears hazards and nothing more. While that isn't a bad thing, that makes it really terrible in comparison to its other sets. Pursuit, for example, actually lays heavy pressure on things that its role has been compromised to (being a defensive Pokemon) while being able to check other things such as Choice Scarf Tapu Lele among other things. Even though Psychic Terrain exists Swords Dance Mega Scizor is still a passable, though very mediocre, set.

Your point about Tapu Fini, by the way, was part of the reason I did that too. You barely justified why not to use it other than in VR Discord going "it's the Fake Ash-Ninja check". We get that there are limited Defog users - it doesn't really excuse Mega Scizor, who's passive and relies on U-turning to something more threatining instead, as a really viable one. I get the way I responded could have been better, but that's about it.

EDIT: And for the record since you also mentioned this in the VR thread - Turboderp is quite spot on with why Mega Scizor is considered bad. Costing a Mega slot is another huge opportunity cost against Mega Scizor when Tapu Fini and co allows for other Mega users like Mega Charizard X or Mega Charizard Y - among other Mega evolutions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the opportunity cost of using Mega Scizor as your Defogger is one of biggest things, since you're basically getting a pivot that's not SR weak that can Defog and pick off low targets with Bullet Punch if needed. But Zapdos does most of those things (as does Mandibuzz), while also not using your Mega slot.

I agree with Omfugas post and wanna respectfully disagree with the MZor drop as well

When looking at the tier in terms of Hazard control three viable mons come to mind: Tapu Fini, Latios and Skarmory.
Fini is great at its job; a phenomenal defensive typing with the right stats and a movepool in Scald, Moonblast, Natures Madness, Taunt, CM and obviously Defog let it remove hazards consistently while providing additional support via misty terrain - its only flaw is missing reliable recovery outside of Leftovers.
Latios though was outright hurt in the transition to SuMo with Dark types being even more threatening and new, strong Fairys rising (e.g. Tapu Lele). In addition of being Pursuit trapped by the mentioned Dark types (e.g. TTar, Weavile, Alolan Muk) every single mon in S and A+Rank can outright threaten it or switch in (relevance of Dark/Steel/Fairy) and is thus inconsistent as at defogging.
Skarmory is kinda like Tapu Fini: great typing in Steel/Flying vs Steel/Fairy with fitting defensive stats and recovery in Roost; can Defog, Spike and Rock up, Phaze, and attack mons weak to Steel or Flying. Being passive in general makes it fit best on Stall and Balance and can consistently defog.

Defog Mega Scizzor fills the nice of a bulky defensive defogger with reliable Recovery that is deceptively strong, has access to a slow u-turn aka momentum gain and technician boosted priority in Bullet Punch. It's a nice addition to the limited pool of viable defogger and is by itself worth at least A-, but I cannot see it anywhere higher atm.

TL;dr - MZor has its nice in this meta outside of just checking Mega Metagross.

Gonna elaborate on this more when I have time in a few hours

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)